Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Professor Steve Manfield: My research is on the pathophysiology of prion diseases
Response: Wonderful, great stuff
Professor Sarah Awoman: My research is on the molecular struc-
Response: You look lovely in that dress

I mean that's not even an exaggeration, seriously how obtuse do you have to be not to recognise that a compliment on someone's physical appearance can be inappropriate and offensive in the wrong context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Straight White Shark posted:

Sure, which is 100% a reflection of her attitude and personality and not her godawful bone structure and generally unfortunate features.

while i'm sure the men in her past loved her personality too is it really out of the question that people like robert downey jr, jfk jr, nick cage, mj fox, etc didn't find her personally physically attractive too when they were dating her?

like is that truly such godawful bone structure + unfortunate features that personal distastes for it need to be pointed out

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

More a response to Stars demented ramblings about it.

LOL "demented ramblings". I swear, people just throw random-rear end words and insults to see what sticks. :laughing so hard I'm crying:

I was well aware that that picture was from a children's book. But people post it as serious. But whatever, this is the unpopular opinion thread, disagreement is inevitable.

Sure, which is 100% a reflection of her attitude and personality and not her godawful bone structure and generally unfortunate features.

"Godawful bone structure and generally unfortunate features"? Wow.

Im not going to debate which celebrities are attractive with y'all. Personally I think SJP has got it goin' on, and I'll just leave it at that.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

Phrenology bullshit that everyone thinks is profound. Its not. Attractiveness doesnt work that way. Yeah maybe if you're a jerkface it might affect your expressions so you look angry and mean or depressed all the time, but it wont literally alter your facial bone structure or anything.

Of course i speak entirely from a trans perspective, as i am sure it is different if you are cis. But i am strictly in the camp of "Looks Matter; despite everything we're told as kids, people DO give a poo poo about physical appearance well beyond the level of basic grooming and 'presentableness' ". But hey, maybe this children's book is actually true for cis dudes, I dunno. If your only problem is that you're kinda short or balding or have big nose or combination of these, maybe you wont have too much issues. :shrug:

I have always gotten the impression that good vibes radiate off people in a very really visible and impressive way. If that's the visual impression some people get, then isn't it true for them?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Packyy posted:

I have always gotten the impression that good vibes radiate off people in a very really visible and impressive way. If that's the visual impression some people get, then isn't it true for them?

I don't know if it's true but I read in some SCIENCE MAGAZINE (probably called Science Magazine) that you can actually hear if someone is smiling while talking over the telephone. Neat if true.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

while i'm sure the men in her past loved her personality too is it really out of the question that people like robert downey jr, jfk jr, nick cage, mj fox, etc didn't find her personally physically attractive too when they were dating her?

like is that truly such godawful bone structure + unfortunate features that personal distastes for it need to be pointed out

My whole point is that what we think of as "physical attraction" is malleable and based on a lot of cues beyond raw physical features. By definition half the human race is going to be below average in the looks department, but plenty of uggos keep managing to hook up anyhow because we're physically attracted to intangible features like confidence. You're halfway there when you describe it in terms of personal taste, but that's only part of the picture--I don't really follow celeb gossip but I doubt that her previous boyfriends went on to date a long string of SJP lookalikes.

Again, I apologize for dredging up a tired old meme. I'm not actually trying to harp on SJP as being particularly hideous, I'm just saying that she doesn't have any intrinsic physical attributes that give her a leg up over any random woman off the street and make people go "wow! she's so pretty!"--but she's able to make people do that anyhow through sheer personal magnetism, where millions of more conventionally attractive women struggle to get a second look. Nor is this even all that unusual for actors and other celebrities.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Oct 2, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

My whole point is that what we think of as "physical attraction" is malleable and based on a lot of cues beyond raw physical features. By definition half the human race is going to be below average in the looks department, but plenty of uggos keep managing to hook up anyhow because we're physically attracted to intangible features like confidence. You're halfway there when you describe it in terms of personal taste, but that's only part of the picture

while i agree personality is important to overall attraction my point is that while, by definition, half the people on the planet are going to be below average by someone's physical standards, i think everyone judges others strictly on their own criteria for attractiveness, some people prefer square faces on women and others don't, and there's not really a single shared curve everyone gets judged on (enough people have issues with major abnormalities to mention it tho) and different people might fall on different sides of the curve when being judged by different individuals w/o considering intangibles like personality - ultimately imuo people who happen to dislike SJP's looks, for example, have been rudely vocal about expressing their personal distaste when in reality she probably looks fine enough by other people's standards to have a history of dating handsome stars who'd become sex symbols

i guess what i'm saying is that physical attractiveness is subjective enough to me that i don't see why some people feel the need to harshly judge other people and then express it, it seems like petty differences to split hairs over in most cases, and it's a rough enough thing to say about someone without even the confidence of blunt honesty because the preferences behind these judgements are things people can have major disagreements over

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

while i agree personality is important to overall attraction my point is that while, by definition, half the people on the planet are going to be below average by someone's physical standards, i think everyone judges others strictly on their own criteria for attractiveness, some people prefer square faces on women and others don't, and there's not really a single shared curve everyone gets judged on (enough people have issues with major abnormalities to mention it tho) and different people might fall on different sides of the curve when being judged by different individuals w/o considering intangibles like personality - ultimately imuo people who happen to dislike SJP's looks, for example, have been rudely vocal about expressing their personal distaste when in reality she probably looks fine enough by other people's standards to have a history of dating handsome stars who'd become sex symbols

i guess what i'm saying is that physical attractiveness is subjective enough to me that i don't see why some people feel the need to harshly judge other people and then express it, it seems like petty differences to split hairs over in most cases, and it's a rough enough thing to say about someone without even the confidence of blunt honesty because the preferences behind these judgements are things people can have major disagreements over

*you are screaming this as I am slowly being lowered down on a crank and your nose is inserted directly into my anus*

Hello my name is Aesop Poprock. Tonight we open the show to talk about the shooting in las vegas

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

thanks friend

i wondered what post would be most memorable to read today

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Putting people on ignore is for cowards. What are you afraid of? Whenever i see someone say "Just put them on ignore, ugh", I imagine that person being like this easily shocked old lady who is always gasping and covering their mouth with their hand whenever someone says a bad word.

Face the bad posts like a trans person. Or are you chicken? Bawk bawk bawk bawk!!!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only ever blocked someone that constantly spammed anime pictures and I got tired of scrolling past them

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I imagine it's less like an offended, scandalized old lady and more like someone who's bored and annoyed. I don't ignore anyone because you are all deeply important to me and the success of my plans.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Putting people on ignore is for cowards. What are you afraid of? Whenever i see someone say "Just put them on ignore, ugh", I imagine that person being like this easily shocked old lady who is always gasping and covering their mouth with their hand whenever someone says a bad word.

Face the bad posts like a trans person. Or are you chicken? Bawk bawk bawk bawk!!!!

We don't agree on much Blue Star but I'm with you on this one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Whether you ignore people or not, I think we can all agree that it's lame as hell to admit to doing it and even lamer to whine at people to stop quoting someone on your ignore list.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can be addicted to food, and no-one chooses to be fat.

e: And using fat people for comedic effect has a lot of lovely classism behind it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
fat people are inherently hilarious and prone to unintentional comedy

Caufman
May 7, 2007
With no disrespect to anyone else, I admire people like Fatty Arbuckle and Melissa McCarthy who, when overweight, were committed to comedic entertainment.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

fat people are inherently hilarious and prone to unintentional comedy

Caufman posted:

With no disrespect to anyone else, I admire people like Fatty Arbuckle and Melissa McCarthy who, when overweight, were committed to comedic entertainment.

I agree with both these statements as well to be clear.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Turtlicious posted:

I would agree with you, but this very forum gave me the unwelcome knowledge of "feeders".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I would agree with you, but this very forum gave me the unwelcome knowledge of "feeders".

Well, the point of feeders is that they are abusive towards the targets of their... uh - affection? It's just as questionable a case of choice as whether a meth addict chooses to buy from his dealer.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Refusing to talk politics or religion or any "heavy" topic is a sign of cowardice. Im not saying you need to be able to defend your thesis at the bar, but if you run from all these conversations, youre just letting someone else make these decisions for you.

Refusing to admit who you voted for is cowardice too. It isnt rude to ask and discuss these things.

Every act is political.

I dont get strip clubs.

Pointing out that you dont like a food or drink in a group setting isnt being picky or a dick.

There is no honor in kink shaming.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Every act is political

Every decision is made in relation to one's spirit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jastiger posted:

Refusing to talk politics or religion or any "heavy" topic is a sign of cowardice. Im not saying you need to be able to defend your thesis at the bar, but if you run from all these conversations, youre just letting someone else make these decisions for you.
What decisions?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Could go in the pet peeve thread, but people who bitch about audience members filming the concert on their phones are 100 times worse than the people doing the actual filming most of the time (there are of course egregious exceptions).

I went to a show the other day and a few people held their phones up at the beginning, which is basically the new norm, and immediately the guy next to me started yelling "Put your phones away you idiots! It's a show! Just enjoy the show you loving idiots!" for like a full minute. It was way more distracting than any phone could be.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Could go in the pet peeve thread, but people who bitch about audience members filming the concert on their phones are 100 times worse than the people doing the actual filming most of the time (there are of course egregious exceptions).

I went to a show the other day and a few people held their phones up at the beginning, which is basically the new norm, and immediately the guy next to me started yelling "Put your phones away you idiots! It's a show! Just enjoy the show you loving idiots!" for like a full minute. It was way more distracting than any phone could be.

That is pretty dumb, and I know usually the purpose of filming a concert with your phone is to show what you're experiencing to your friends but I gotta say the only time I rapidly skip through Snapchat videos is when someone's sending a billion of them in a row from whatever concert or show they're at. The audio is inevitably unlistenable and they're filming a stage from hundreds of feet back and Jesus I get the gist of it I don't need to watch the entire blown out sounding set for some opening band I'll never hear of again

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

What decisions?

What you stand for and what gets discussed.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't necessarily mind politic/religious/whatever talk but you really have to read the room. If everyones having fun lighthearted conversations you don't want to be the tone-deaf rear end in a top hat who forces a potentially uncomfortable conversation on everyone. Some people are incapable of talking politics without turning into insane defensive dicks and there is almost guaranteed to be one of those in every group to some extent

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't like talking about politics or religion with people where it's not relevant. Like if someone with actual political influence asked for my opinions I would share them, or if my pastor or something asked me about religion I would. When it's just some random guy at a bar, what do I have to gain from talking about those topics? It's a confrontational subject - the only reason you're asking is either so you can both pat each other on the back for agreeing, or you want an argument. In rare circumstances it might actually be a genuine conversation where people calmly and rationally explain their points and respect is maintained on both sides, but when's the last time you talked about politics where that is the result? I certainly never have.

It's not about being a "coward", it's more about not wanting to waste my time having an unenjoyable conversation/argument.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They're also two particularly closely-held belief systems that make up a person's core personality. Both are way more visceral than perfectly factual and if someone is emotionally entrenched in a topic, they're not going to be swayed unless they're even more emotionally invested in you. It only works with people you've established connections with, like how I can affectionately call my sister an bitch but a stranger might deck me for it. :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Das Boo posted:

They're also two particularly closely-held belief systems that make up a person's core personality. Both are way more visceral than perfectly factual and if someone is emotionally entrenched in a topic, they're not going to be swayed unless they're even more emotionally invested in you. It only works with people you've established connections with, like how I can affectionately call my sister an bitch but a stranger might deck me for it. :v:

In the context of a very close friend or relationship partner then I think it definitely should be discussed. That's not to say both of you have to have the same beliefs to get along, but like you said if you want to really know someone, that is part of it. For casual friends/coworkers/etc I stand by what I said - it's a waste of everyone's time and will only lead to arguments.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In the context of a very close friend or relationship partner then I think it definitely should be discussed. That's not to say both of you have to have the same beliefs to get along, but like you said if you want to really know someone, that is part of it. For casual friends/coworkers/etc I stand by what I said - it's a waste of everyone's time and will only lead to arguments.

I absolutely agree. I think the reasoning behind it is tied almost exclusively to an established, mutual understanding.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Turtlicious posted:

No one really chooses anything. Between nature and nurture we maintain, at best, the illusion of choice. Your every thought and action are preceded, and ultimately caused by, everything that happened before it, reaching back before you, or your parents, were even born.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

doverhog posted:

No one really chooses anything. Between nature and nurture we maintain, at best, the illusion of choice. Your every thought and action are preceded, and ultimately caused by, everything that happened before it, reaching back before you, or your parents, were even born.

We do get to choose, but our environment and upbringing brings about patterns for people. So, we just need to better socially engineer trouble areas of the country, to get the citizenry to make the life choices we want them to.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The only group that should be considered "White people" are those of specifically Anglo-Saxon/English descent. The French, Germans, Scandinavians, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Breton, Portuguese, Spaniards, Italians, Swiss, Greeks, Finns, Poles, Russians, etc. should all be considered People of Color. Proud, strong People of Color.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Germans have to be considered white.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

which baffoon said he was "pure Anglo-Saxon" again?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

The only group that should be considered "White people" are those of specifically Anglo-Saxon/English descent. The French, Germans, Scandinavians, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Breton, Portuguese, Spaniards, Italians, Swiss, Greeks, Finns, Poles, Russians, etc. should all be considered People of Color. Proud, strong People of Color.

Can you explain why it matters whether someone is a White person vs a "Person of Color"?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think Germans have to be considered white.

I dunno that hitler fella looked a little ruddy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Star posted:

All those people have been loving each other for thousands of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's not about being a "coward", it's more about not wanting to waste my time having an unenjoyable conversation/argument.

Politics is a chore to get to grips with and talking about it is just as much of a chore. I usually think it's reasonably interesting but I don't blame anyone for not being interested in having a discussion about it.