Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

spectralent posted:

Sure, but importantly they're mostly still classified whereas a lot of soviet stuff is now freely available.

I just think the devs would wing it at that point rather then having an embarrassing situation where they have files on the M1 and Super 60, but no Chally 1 and Leo 2s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just checked and the Super Eténdard was first produced in 1974. If there's even a slight chance we'll get that silly rear end plane...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The US has some comically better CARB planes available well within the current time frame and if they push out a little bit, the M901 which is going to be loving ridiculous on maps like Sinai since it's aim point and launching point are several feet above the actual vehicle. You can already do NLOS shooting now if you're crafty about it.

The Germans have more Leo 1 variants and if they get crazy the late Kpz-70 variant with the 120mm L44 we know from the Leo2/Abrams.

The Russians get the T-64B with Kobras next, and maybe the T-62s with something similar. Or a loving BDRM-2, which could be a lot of fun.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 1, 2017

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seajets yet?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The BRDM would have to be BR 1, though; it's an armoured car with like 15mm of armour and a 14.5mm for the main gun.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
There are variants with ATGMs all the way up to the Konkurs. Their performance in the Israeli/Arab conflict is pretty much the reason the US actually made the M901. If they give them ATGMs but drop them down to 6.7, then okay whatever, sucks to be in KT against missiles.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Ah, yes, the tank hunter variants would work fine.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Sard posted:

Germany is probably going to have the edge on tanks as we go further down the line and get more advanced Leopards, and the RakJPz HOT (and eventually the Jaguar!) is still perfectly killy against tier VI armor. That said, America stands to get some amazing aircraft if we get T6 jets anytime soon, assuming Germany doesn't end up borrowing half of them. I'm going JSDF/Bundeswehr but I'm going to regret that decision if America gets a Crusader or Corsair II in 2018. The only consolation then will be Germany getting a Tornado years from now.

German 5/6 is a lot of trash compared to the American lineup. You just have a mix of 1946 paper garbage tanks and American side designs.

The M60A2 / Sheridan / T95E1 lineup is so much fun.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

:ocelot::smug:

Who said that CARB doesn't make money?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

4 minutes in tanks, 13 minutes in planes - the ground battles experiences

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I already miss RB EC.

We need an Italian RB EC.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

BBJoey posted:

4 minutes in tanks, 13 minutes in planes - the ground battles experiences

You keep making GBS threads on tanks, but tanks are the better plane mode. By far.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Symetrique posted:

I already miss RB EC.

completely agree

also the RB EC Bulge event was extremely cool and good, nothing beats dunking on elite xXxAdolf_Galland420xXx with superior numbers and superior gear. Majority of games for me were at least 2:1 kill ratio and Germs being confined to their airfield the entire time.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Symetrique posted:

I already miss RB EC.

If it stretched the range of the tree I would buy premium and hop on Discord and cancel anything I had going that weekend.

1) squad up
2) bring bombs, dedicate to nuking all but one airfield
3) camp the mfs final airfield

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

If you have the original bushes

I own no bushes. Are bushes no longer worth owning?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Nickiepoo posted:

I own no bushes. Are bushes no longer worth owning?

The originals were large and thick enough to give 1970's flashbacks to some people, the replacements were smaller. Bushes are okay in their book but they won't let us stretch decals to their original size..

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

YF-23 posted:

You keep making GBS threads on tanks, but tanks are the better plane mode. By far.

my actual opinion on this: air RB and CARB offer quite different experiences. due to the lack of markers there's a much larger emphasis on positioning and observation in CARB, which is cool, but often you'll only see one or two planes in the air at a time so fights are essentially a matter of locate enemy -> pounce on him and completely destroy him -> return to orbiting above the battlefield looking for dots coming from their airfield. in air RB you have markers which removes the skill in tracking enemies, but you know for a fact that everyone is in a plane and depending on the map/enemy you're probably going to end up with a furball which is a great test of your epic cyberace blat blat skills. personally i find diving into a huge clusterfuck of planes in air RB more enjoyable than the more cautious air combat of CARB but i don't think one mode's flying is "better" than the other.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
CARB can be more interesting and involved in the active CAS role but then you do run the risk of just being bounced by the cyber-ace above.

MrLonghair posted:

The originals were large and thick enough to give 1970's flashbacks to some people, the replacements were smaller. Bushes are okay in their book but they won't let us stretch decals to their original size..

I'm casually grinding towards them on the new warbond system unless I get bored before then so was wondering if the reward already wasn't worth the effort.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 2, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

BBJoey posted:

my actual opinion on this: air RB and CARB offer quite different experiences. due to the lack of markers there's a much larger emphasis on positioning and observation in CARB, which is cool, but often you'll only see one or two planes in the air at a time so fights are essentially a matter of locate enemy -> pounce on him and completely destroy him -> return to orbiting above the battlefield looking for dots coming from their airfield. in air RB you have markers which removes the skill in tracking enemies, but you know for a fact that everyone is in a plane and depending on the map/enemy you're probably going to end up with a furball which is a great test of your epic cyberace blat blat skills. personally i find diving into a huge clusterfuck of planes in air RB more enjoyable than the more cautious air combat of CARB but i don't think one mode's flying is "better" than the other.

That's fair. In a way the CARB air game is more like air arcade, because you have a very short flight time to the battlefield, potentially multiple air spawns, and end up in more quick-paced combat rather than spending time to "set up" so to speak. For me, as much as I understand and value the strategic aspect of the preparation phase of air RB, I can't help but also find it kind of boring (and when I got into jet tiers, I found the quicker pace of gameplay to be a very welcome reprieve).

Though this is ignoring another aspect of the CARB air game, which is ground-air interaction. Assisting your side's ground forces by playing spotter, providing CAS, while keeping SPAA off you, is also nice.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Not to mention coordinating wild-weasel missions with fellow goons to poo poo on pubbies mercilessly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The satisfaction when you spike tank crews in a straight down dive and escape unharmed is so good.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

YF-23 posted:

sim tanks is the best for both planes and tanks because instant action and minimal bullshit. only real downside is "boohoo low altitude dogfighting is ezmode" and you cant pick every vehicle you want or abuse the BR system

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

The satisfaction when you spike tank crews in a straight down dive and escape unharmed is so good.

Doing this off the bat was amazing in the early CARB tests, and nailing Tigers with Yak-9s literally never got old.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Thief posted:

sim tanks is the best for both planes and tanks because instant action and minimal bullshit. only real downside is "boohoo low altitude dogfighting is ezmode" and you cant pick every vehicle you want or abuse the BR system

Low tier scrub reporting in (only just unlocked tier 5 german tanks) I really enjoy dogfights in rb tanks as opposed to rb planes. I find in rb planes I spend the first few minutes climbing to a suitable altitude, by which point most of my team are hosed and I'm facing a big fur ball almost solo. Whereas rb tanks I get to use the 109 in what feels like it's intended role - bouncing larger CAS planes. Maybe I've just gotta stop playing rb air?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Low tier scrub reporting in (only just unlocked tier 5 german tanks) I really enjoy dogfights in rb tanks as opposed to rb planes. I find in rb planes I spend the first few minutes climbing to a suitable altitude, by which point most of my team are hosed and I'm facing a big fur ball almost solo. Whereas rb tanks I get to use the 109 in what feels like it's intended role - bouncing larger CAS planes. Maybe I've just gotta stop playing rb air?

Get on discord and we can give you some legit cheat codes for RB air.

The cheats are teamwork and voice comms.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

BadOptics posted:

Get on discord and we can give you some legit cheat codes for RB air.

The cheats are teamwork and voice comms.

That would be awesome, can I get a pm with the link for the discord please?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

To be honest, if by the time you've reached your target altitude most of your team is dead, either you rolled an exceptionally bad team (rare but happens), or you are selecting a bad target altitude (which would give consistently bad results). Even in mid-tier 4.x BRs you'll very often see American teams, commonly known for ground pounding in some of their best fighters, actually cooperating and playing smart nowadays. For a bread-and-butter plane like the P-51D (which, granted, is severely undertiered) shooting for an altitude of 5km-7km, coupled with situational awareness with regards to enemy positioning, will put you in position to join combat in the early/middle stage of the fight and in a more or less untouchable position.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's lots of good US players nowadays and it makes me happy to see pubbies working together and pulling through with a country that earned mass ridicule for the quality of its playerbase.

e; Discord invite is the first line of the OP.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'm mostly playing with German planes/tanks. I do have a good amount of American planes unlocked but I don't fly them that often, although I do find them pretty enjoyable. With Ze Chermans my experience in rb is either:

Fly straight to the fight and get bounced by American/Russian fighters which are at higher altitudes

Or

Climb to around 5km, engage a straggler/lone plane and then get bounced by a fighter who was at higher altitude

Or

Climb to 7km, rest of the team are dead/rtb and then have no viable targets to engage because the enemy team has clumped and I get turbofucked by three + other fighters if I try to engage.

Which is why I've mostly been doing tank battles. I actually get kills in tank rb. Plane rb is mostly just frustrating to me.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

That would be awesome, can I get a pm with the link for the discord please?

https://discord.gg/RqXb2Hv

YF-23 posted:

To be honest, if by the time you've reached your target altitude most of your team is dead, either you rolled an exceptionally bad team (rare but happens), or you are selecting a bad target altitude (which would give consistently bad results). Even in mid-tier 4.x BRs you'll very often see American teams, commonly known for ground pounding in some of their best fighters, actually cooperating and playing smart nowadays. For a bread-and-butter plane like the P-51D (which, granted, is severely undertiered) shooting for an altitude of 5km-7km, coupled with situational awareness with regards to enemy positioning, will put you in position to join combat in the early/middle stage of the fight and in a more or less untouchable position.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's lots of good US players nowadays and it makes me happy to see pubbies working together and pulling through with a country that earned mass ridicule for the quality of its playerbase.

e; Discord invite is the first line of the OP.

Why not do both? In support planes?

(1:25 is highly NWS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-qsYvrnVHA

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 3, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just love CARB for poo poo like bringing some low tier, slow-rear end Stuka with a 1,000 Kg bomb to melt some unlucky cold-war era tank. 1,000 kilos will gently caress pretty much anything (including your own tail). Though to be honest I could likely get away with 500 Kg bombs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I mean I can see it happening though, because broadly speaking the early Leo 2, Chally 1, M1 Abrams and Teledyne M60 are about on par with the T-64 and T-72.

In terms of protection the Chally 1 likely outperforms them all by a great amount. It's downsides were poor fire control system that had trouble firing on the move and it was slower than the other tanks listed. First Leo 2's and M1's were poorly armoured. I think the T-64 would outmatch them in most fights.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

DumbparameciuM posted:

I'm mostly playing with German planes/tanks. I do have a good amount of American planes unlocked but I don't fly them that often, although I do find them pretty enjoyable. With Ze Chermans my experience in rb is either:

Fly straight to the fight and get bounced by American/Russian fighters which are at higher altitudes

Or

Climb to around 5km, engage a straggler/lone plane and then get bounced by a fighter who was at higher altitude

It's weird to me that you're finding US/Soviet planes at higher alt in a 109. This could either be stock syndrome or else you're climbing at the wrong angle because by first engagement the only things that should be able to match you in alt, to my mind, are late era Spits.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Nickiepoo posted:

It's weird to me that you're finding US/Soviet planes at higher alt in a 109. This could either be stock syndrome or else you're climbing at the wrong angle because by first engagement the only things that should be able to match you in alt, to my mind, are late era Spits.

I've got my 3.3 to 3.7 109s fully upgraded. I usually climb them at between 8 and 10 degrees to maintain a decent amount of speed.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

DumbparameciuM posted:

I usually climb them at between 8 and 10 degrees to maintain a decent amount of speed.

This seems too shallow and could be the source of your problem but I'm sure one of the cyber-aces in here can give a perfect breakdown of climb angle and speed at differing altitudes.

My personal general rule of thumb is to climb at about 250-300kph which seems to give decent results in 109s but I'm not exactly using scientific method here.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I tend to climb at anything between 10 to 15 degrees, depending on which angle is actually increasing my speed as well as my altitude. Also, just to be safe, always side climb.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

DumbparameciuM posted:

I've got my 3.3 to 3.7 109s fully upgraded. I usually climb them at between 8 and 10 degrees to maintain a decent amount of speed.

There's a couple of "problems" with that. First off, that way you are entering combat first; that's not necessarily bad, someone has to do that. But it is something that takes control away from you. If you're flying energy fighters, you generally want to be the one dictating the terms of engagement. But, if you've been making that actually work, then all the more power to you; that's impressive.

The second thing is that, essentially, every plane has a sweet spot for the optimal climbing speed. When you point your nose horizontally, your plane produces lift based on its airspeed which will push you up. If you aim your nose upwards, you are putting some of your horizontal thrust into climbing... but you lose airspeed, and thus lift. So you need to be going fast enough and aiming high enough that you combine those two into an optimal climb. I think almost all, if not all props, have their sweetspot between 280 and 310 kmph IAS. So you want to hit that speed, and then put your plane in as sharp a climb as you can while maintaining it. As your altitude goes up the air will grow thinner and your airspeed will drop, so as you climb what you do is adjust that climbing angle downwards. Having a decent reserve of speed is useful, but generally if you're going for an optimal climb you won't find yourself in a position where you can't level your plane out and built that speed up before you need it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DumbparameciuM posted:

Sub 10 degrees is where I go if I wanna build up speed after climbing, since it's basically almost leveling out :v:
109 F-4 optimal climbing speed is 280 km/h https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/155545-messerschmitt-bf-109-f-4/

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Most listed best climb speeds are assuming stuff like full fuel tanks. In practice, in this game, with 20-30 minutes of fuel your best climb rate for anything with a propeller is likely between 230 and 260 km/h.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Sard posted:

Most listed best climb speeds are assuming stuff like full fuel tanks. In practice, in this game, with 20-30 minutes of fuel your best climb rate for anything with a propeller is likely between 230 and 260 km/h.

This is especially true for every Italian plane with an inline engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

in an italian plane the numbers don't matter, it's all about the vibe, y'know? you just gotta like, know, man, like be one with the plane. feel the air, feel the speed, feel the climb.