Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Impale DH plays nothing like UE DH which you've been playing. Impale is some of the highest single target damage in the game and you are pretty tanky (by DH standards). You are basically single target ninja assassin. Since you aren't using guides I'll not say anything else to let you enjoy figuring it out, but if you have any questions on synergy ask away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Dameius posted:

Impale DH plays nothing like UE DH which you've been playing. Impale is some of the highest single target damage in the game and you are pretty tanky (by DH standards). You are basically single target ninja assassin. Since you aren't using guides I'll not say anything else to let you enjoy figuring it out, but if you have any questions on synergy ask away.

One thing to note though: the build is unplayable without Karlei's Point. Seriously, don't even try. It's not worth the frustration.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Impale plays just fine with Greenstone, in fact that was what you mainhanded prior to the HPS buff. Now you must Karlei's of course.

This is an entirely academic argument anyway since it's very easy to craft a Karlei's from the cube, 50/50 shot every time.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Too bad getting a good HPS isn't as easy. Been trying for two seasons in a row and got nothing to show for it compared to other gear I've had drop

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Suprfli6 posted:

Wow I didn't know the GR level had an impact on gem upgrade success, thanks. I'm trying to clear GR 75 with my lazy necro and my gems are level 62 and appear to be the biggest thing holding me back. I cleared 73 with a minute to spare but couldn't go higher. I was speed running GR60 last night to try and upgrade my gems at 15% success rates and it was really frustrating.
Ever since The Rokstar toxx'd for Hillary I haven't remembered seeing anyone who still had that avatar of yours. That was like a year ago! Who else has those? Come out of the woodwork, the RMAH thread was great and the (still unknown?) goon who got mad and bought multiple pages worth of people that av owned.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ever since The Rokstar toxx'd for Hillary I haven't remembered seeing anyone who still had that avatar of yours. That was like a year ago! Who else has those? Come out of the woodwork, the RMAH thread was great and the (still unknown?) goon who got mad and bought multiple pages worth of people that av owned.

I thought the goon that bought them all admitted to it in the RMAH thread? I thought it was someone that made quite a bit of money botting the AH and dropped a few hundred bucks on avs in celebration. It's hard to believe it's been over five years at this point.

I am still salty about having such lovely DSL when the RMAH launched that I only made a few grand. It was glorious.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 2, 2017

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I have the av

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Think I'm one piece away from the set.

Two unfortunately

This is the other stuff

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think on the bottom right now, change the chakram damage to impale damage.

That's kinda a pitiful Karlei's, if you upgrade rare daggers in the cube it will be like 50/50 karlei's or the FoK one e: Lord Greenstone

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I'd say change chakram damage to critical hit chance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Two unfortunately

Make that one now :q:

mewse posted:

That's kinda a pitiful Karlei's, if you upgrade rare daggers in the cube it will be like 50/50 karlei's or the FoK one e: Lord Greenstone

Thanks

Suspicious posted:

I'd say change chakram damage to critical hit chance.

I have no idea how to work this stuff out. The calculations are beyond me at a certain point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chakram damage to whatever the gently caress you get first because rerolling affixes on quivers is hell on earth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeh Crit% or Impale% whichever

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol, within the span of 20 minutes, in between posts, I get both the missing pieces of the shadow mantle. One piece twice.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I kinda hate that you're playing for the first time in a game where the Spec Closet already exists

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mewse posted:

I kinda hate that you're playing for the first time in a game where the Spec Closet already exists

You mean the armory? Shame it doesn't save transmorgs

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

mewse posted:

gently caress I just realized that I've been wasting my bounty mats rerolling my KP. I've rolled 20+ times and still no ancient. I guess I'll go upgrade some rares now.

Edit: Welp, 15 upgrades later and I have nothing to show for my efforts.

What's the best way to farm regular mats? Battlefields of Eternity armor pile farming?

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 3, 2017

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

twice burned ice posted:

gently caress I just realized that I've been wasting my bounty mats rerolling my KP. I've rolled 20+ times and still no ancient. I guess I'll go upgrade some rares now.

Edit: Welp, 15 upgrades later and I have nothing to show for my efforts.

What's the best way to farm regular mats? Battlefields of Eternity armor pile farming?

Don't reroll KP, you have a 50% chance to get a KP when upgrading a dagger so 5% chance of ancient KP, which is half of what you have from rerolling a KP and infinitely cheaper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with rare daggers is that they're... pretty rare.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The problem with rare daggers is that they're... pretty rare.

Craft rare level 70 daggers at the smith. This works for all of the upgrade recipes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Metal Meltdown posted:

Craft rare level 70 daggers at the smith. This works for all of the upgrade recipes.

:doh:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The one on the left look okay?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

You mean the armory? Shame it doesn't save transmorgs

Yes it does.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I made the exact same assumption and was stockpiling rare fist weapons until I realized the smith trick. As to the Karleis, that left one is pretty excellent for a non-ancient one so run with it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rinkles posted:

The one on the left look okay?

Nope, you want one that is an Ancient legendary with the gold border. They're better versions of normal legendary items with higher damage ranges and higher roll ranges. It's most important to have an acient weapon vs any other armor piece for damage.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Dross posted:

Don't reroll KP, you have a 50% chance to get a KP when upgrading a dagger so 5% chance of ancient KP, which is half of what you have from rerolling a KP and infinitely cheaper.

The post you quoted explicitly says that I had just realized reforging it was a waste and that I was going to switch to upgrading rares????? :confused:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Larrymer posted:

Nope, you want one that is an Ancient legendary with the gold border. They're better versions of normal legendary items with higher damage ranges and higher roll ranges. It's most important to have an acient weapon vs any other armor piece for damage.

It's why I'm using an otherwise unoptimal crossbow with my multishot focused build. Ancient makes it that much better even without synergistic bonuses.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

twice burned ice posted:

The post you quoted explicitly says that I had just realized reforging it was a waste and that I was going to switch to upgrading rares????? :confused:

I read the tone as implying that upgrading rares was equally wasteful and unproductive, which it's not, on a large enough scale. But if that wasn't the intention, then I withdraw my sanctimony.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The shadow mantle feels like a significant power upgrade, and I like that it's more involved than my previous set up (a lot things to keep track of). But I'm having problems managing hatred. Is that because I'm testing it on torment levels where it's ohko-ing most things? (I upped it a bit, but things remained as squishy). I peeked at the Icy Vein guide, don't see anything else there for maintaining hatred.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The shadow mantle feels like a significant power upgrade, and I like that it's more involved than my previous set up (a lot things to keep track of). But I'm having problems managing hatred. Is that because I'm testing it on torment levels where it's ohko-ing most things? (I upped it a bit, but things remained as squishy). I peeked at the Icy Vein guide, don't see anything else there for maintaining hatred.

Swap your Vengeance rune to Seethe when running torments low enough that you're a one shot machine. Fun fact: with Dawn cubed and 37% CDR your Vengeance becomes effectively permanent. You can also swap Aquilla Cuirass to the Visage of Gunes in the cube to keep your tankiness up if this tips you towards being too much of a glass cannon, but if you're just one shotting everything this probably isn't much of a concern.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Metal Meltdown posted:

Fun fact: with Dawn cubed and 37% CDR your Vengeance becomes effectively permanent.

Yup, been doing this since I found a Dawn. Is it basically required in all power builds of DH?

Metal Meltdown posted:

You can also swap Aquilla Cuirass to the Visage of Gunes in the cube to keep your tankiness up if this tips you towards being too much of a glass cannon, but if you're just one shotting everything this probably isn't much of a concern.

Swarms can be a problem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rinkles posted:

It's pretty remarkable how often the game manages to leap frog you in power level. Whenever it feels like I'm reaching a wall, I'll find something that flips the rules on what's permissible. It'll seem like I'm getting away with something, but that merely becomes the new baseline for surviving higher torment. It's repeatedly reinventing how you approach the game. Like its normalizing "broken" gameplay, but over and over again. Which I love, because those eureka moments when you realize just what the game is allowing you to do (and consequent carnage) is arguably the best part of these games.

Yeah. Diablo 3's far from perfect but it still shows a lot less of the obnoxious restraint you see in other Blizzard games.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Rinkles posted:

Yup, been doing this since I found a Dawn. Is it basically required in all power builds of DH?
Pretty much. It's just too good to pass up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Uh so that's basically goodbye to walking. (chain of shadows)

This set up is mayhem.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
Holy gently caress I do not enjoy this week's NA challenge rift (LoN FoK DH). I've never enjoyed any of the challenge rifts, but this one was especially terrible.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Thorg posted:

Holy gently caress I do not enjoy this week's NA challenge rift (LoN FoK DH). I've never enjoyed any of the challenge rifts, but this one was especially terrible.

Yep. I've never played this build before, but unlike some of the other LoN builds (LoN Frenzy Barb & LoN WD), this one felt especially tough. I died a few times just trying to kill the first elite pack. After a few resets and not really knowing what the hell I was doing, I closed it and may try again later in the week when people posts walkthroughs/guides on The Reddits. I just hope the Challenge Rift for the week Season 12 begins isn't a pain.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Uh so that's basically goodbye to walking. (chain of shadows)

This set up is mayhem.

When you are running torments where yku ohko everything with this build, I'd swap fan of knives for bolas - lightning rune, and spam bolas to get ykur hatred back whenever it dips down too low. Fan of knives is there for defense, which you won't need when you overpower the content so much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I found a hamburger.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You cam use itnto transmog your Karlei's point into a hamburger. And next to Stefon's Heavy Lance, you have the best looking dagger transmog in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any general tips for better survivability, regardless of build? Point allotment, gem slots etc. (Torment XII)

Lately been having more "wait, what killed me?" moments than I'd like.