Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Wow. The RS4s made all the difference in the world. I couldn't believe how much more predictable and stable they were at or beyond the limit than my old s-drives, and what a difference in made in how I could attack corners. I was easily able to trail-brake and slide into corners with great entry speed whereas before the same attempt would have ended with me showing off my pretty headlights to everyone behind me. And fast, too, drat fast! I had a long time PCA instructor tell me that he was massively impressed to see an old SC keeping pace with C7 Z06s in the same run group, and I couldn't believe that myself either. Very very happy.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions, all. I'll have to put up some video from the GoPro later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eriddy posted:

How does autocross compare to doing trackdays? I've done a few dozen trackdays by now and never tried autocross. Is it hard to learn the course? What kinda skills/ability do really good autocross drivers have?

It depends on the venue, I autox a ton and I'd never bother with tiny parking lots but bigger places like airfields or stadium parking lots are pretty quick and very good smaller track analogues. As for the differences:

Pros:
1) Autocross is really about being able to navigate the g circle quickly and smoothly, it is slower in terms of absolute speed but much faster paced in terms of how much occurs. 1.7 miles at Thompson is 11 turns, 1.7 miles at devens is 40+ elements. A good autoxer will be good at track and vice versa. Smooth inputs are king. Watching a top pax nationals video is like watching your soul die because you'll never be able to hustle a car around a g circle that precisely. It's unreal.
2) You don't really "learn" the course so much as keep your eyes up and just follow the cones and memorize important bits. It translates well to track as you're really looking through the course. They have course walk through a but most people use them to memorize "gotcha" elements where the looking ahead line is incorrect. I don't care if a slalom is 3 cones or 20, I care about the entrance and exit.
3) The risk is a lot lower at autox so you can drive much closer to your limit without danger of something really bad happening. I can always tell when track guys show up because they do all the right moves but they leave a little bit on the table. The main benefit there is if you have an instructor and video, you can practice and improve in a low risk environment really driving the car to the limit at transitions which is really where that last 1-2 seconds that separates good from unreal drivers lies. The other benefit is you learn how to "filter" out thinking about the car after long enough and concentrating on what you're doing wrong and where you're slow.
4) Everyone loves competition (New England at least) and are super helpful. The fastest drivers in competitive classes have God tier driving abilities and will gladly drive your car or show you video or watch your video to help you get faster. I can keep pace with trophy level national drivers and there are still people who will drive my car, smoke my rear end by 2 seconds the first time driving and once I'm done crying, will show me how to be faster.

Cons:
1) Not much seat time/high cost per run. One track session is more than an entire autox, easily. Hell, lemons was probably more seat time than my entire normal autox season.
2) Threshold braking/downshifting is much less practiced at autox. It does come into play but it's much less emphasized than at track.
3) Low absolute speeds. I'd never drive on track like I do at autox but track is wayyyy more fun even with lower limits.
4) Autox teaches ability to discern ideal lines, but lack of real straights generally means keeping the line that involves the least distance is usually the best which doesn't always jive with track.
5) Tracks tend to attract a lot of people so there is generally a lot of good knowledge and baselines to judge against. Club Motorsport opened in NH this year and I can probably spend 10 minutes googling to find the best line and baseline times. Autox *really really* depends on the clubs/venue for quality of competition and courses.

Dave Inc. posted:

Wow. The RS4s made all the difference in the world. I couldn't believe how much more predictable and stable they were at or beyond the limit than my old s-drives, and what a difference in made in how I could attack corners. I was easily able to trail-brake and slide into corners with great entry speed whereas before the same attempt would have ended with me showing off my pretty headlights to everyone behind me. And fast, too, drat fast! I had a long time PCA instructor tell me that he was massively impressed to see an old SC keeping pace with C7 Z06s in the same run group, and I couldn't believe that myself either. Very very happy.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions, all. I'll have to put up some video from the GoPro later.

Glad you liked them! S.drives are good for street tires but real pieces of poo poo when it comes to transitioning from throttle/braking to turning at the limit.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 4, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anyone coming to VIR this weekend?

I'll be in the yellow miata struggling to break 100mph on the back straight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway on Sat/Sun for me, if any goonz will be there.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'll be at gingerman this weekend (gridlife).

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Here's some video from my runs at Roebling Road Raceway on Monday. I actually ended up being a little faster in the morning when I was following the line that felt more natural to me. I started following the line of other drivers a little later but looking at my lap times slowed down just a hair through turns one, two and six, seven. I really need to try carrying more speed at corner entry but I've been burned bad trying to trail-brake and I can't help but think it's not worth risking that sort of thing on a track day but...have to learn how to do it sometime, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcfWNEKNck

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Trail braking an older 911 is supposed to be hella tricky given the weight balance.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Wrar posted:

Trail braking an older 911 is supposed to be hella tricky given the weight balance.

You don't say.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmqQn3GROp4

That was on the older S-Drive tires, the RS4s were way more predictable but I still had this moment stuck in my head when I was trail-braking. I managed to pull it off pretty well a few times on turn 5 but I never even made a real attempt at turn 1. Corner entry under trail-braking there can be 100mph...I need a little more confidence for that.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 6, 2017

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Wrar posted:

Can confirm. It's probably the most difficult platform to learn on. Be ready to get off the brakes and countersteer at the first hint of the rear end stepping out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Blaise posted:

Anyone coming to VIR this weekend?

I'll be in the yellow miata struggling to break 100mph on the back straight.

I'll be there racing in PTE. #146

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

First laps at gingerman in HPDE beginner...wet track :stare:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

First laps at gingerman in HPDE beginner...wet track :stare:

Car control!!

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Blaise posted:

For what quality of track, how much instruction, and for how much track time?

It's between $200-300/day for world-class circuits here in the Northeast. That's for four 20 minute sessions and instruction.

Edit: The track you linked in that video where you were on your sunday drive is not a place I think that would stay open in the US. Think F1 level. I was at Watkins Glen last weekend and will be at VIR next weekend.

About 6-8 hours of track time on the 20€ trackdays. Instruction if you ask nicely.

The track in my video is actually kinda famous around here. It has been unchanged since the '60s (hence the limited safety features). It is a very challenging circuit with 100 ft of elevation changes. Here's a clip from today riding shotgun in a friend's turbo 75. This time the track was run in reverse, just to eliminate the safety features the track does have. It was also bit damp. The video starts a bit slow with a drifter in front of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_5I16Hf0k

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I guess I pay hundreds to avoid having that be allowed on track.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I guess I pay hundreds to avoid having that be allowed on track.

This one was actually a more expensive organizer. 50€ for couple hours of track time. The usual 20€ trackdays don’t have any of the drifters etc. Here the main attraction was the opportunity to try the track in reverse. About half of the sessions were ”drifting allowed”.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 7, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Car control!!

Was really fun once it dried out by session 2. By session 3 I was ripping pretty good. It's a difficult track to feel the good lines on, I'm decent at about half the track and total poo poo at the rest.

Turbo swapped Fiesta ST is really fun. Big brakes and a diff are going to be necessary if I ever really want to go fast, but I'm having a blast as it is. My main problem is dudes in miatas and civics not pointing me by, they think I'm part of their covenant, heh

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DoLittle posted:

About 6-8 hours of track time on the 20€ trackdays. Instruction if you ask nicely.

The track in my video is actually kinda famous around here. It has been unchanged since the '60s (hence the limited safety features). It is a very challenging circuit with 100 ft of elevation changes. Here's a clip from today riding shotgun in a friend's turbo 75. This time the track was run in reverse, just to eliminate the safety features the track does have. It was also bit damp. The video starts a bit slow with a drifter in front of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_5I16Hf0k

looks like a fun track

what kind of car was that drift car?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Blaise, what number are you? There are a few yellow miata.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Chuckwalla was empty, 3.5hr of on track time in one day is pretty good for a car event. S2000 did great, but I think my starter is hosed or my battery is bad. It's having issues cranking when hot (read: session to session) so I bailed out of tomorrow since my friend wasn't staying for the second day and I wasn't willing to push my luck 250mi from home. Car ate a quart or quart and a half of oil, I think the baffle saved my rear end and I need to check my oil level after each session at a track like this. AP1 S2000s are known for pushing oil into the intake through the valve cover in sustained right corners. I'm hoping I caught it early enough and didn't do any damage.

I was doing 2:09-2:10s CW on RT615Ks... I think the S2000 non-aero/non-FI/etc record is somewhere in the 2:00-2:03 range so I have some work to do.

BraveUlysses posted:

looks like a fun track

E34

PaintVagrant posted:

Was really fun once it dried out by session 2. By session 3 I was ripping pretty good. It's a difficult track to feel the good lines on, I'm decent at about half the track and total poo poo at the rest.

Turbo swapped Fiesta ST is really fun. Big brakes and a diff are going to be necessary if I ever really want to go fast, but I'm having a blast as it is. My main problem is dudes in miatas and civics not pointing me by, they think I'm part of their covenant, heh

Better than being in a slower car while Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, M3s, etc watch you crawl up their rear end for half a lap, finally point you by, and not lift.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 8, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

looks like a fun track

It is a E34 with a turbo V8 and the radiator in the trunk. There were also a couple of pretty wild time-attack cars. A ”E92” with a mid mounted Nissan based turbo V6 and a ”R32 GTR” that had been widened 8” in the middle of the car. Also running a turbo Nissan V6.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 8, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Car ate a quart or quart and a half of oil, I think the baffle saved my rear end and I need to check my oil level after each session at a track like this. AP1 S2000s are known for pushing oil into the intake through the valve cover in sustained right corners. I'm hoping I caught it early enough and didn't do any damage.

From the reading and feedback I've gotten baffle is very good and you need to keep an eye on oil very closely. Not sure if people run these engine a bit over for track use like you would a M20 but it may be worth looking into. Seems oil is the weak point but as long as you have plenty of oil they'll hold up very well. From the rest of the prep done on yours I'm assuming the other weak points, AP1 valve spring retainers and oil squirters, have been addressed already.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I did the retainers when I first bought the car. Mine is an 02 and the VIN is high enough that it came with the oil squirters, which was a nice surprise.
I knew my car eats oil, I just didn't expect it to be that bad. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that the sort of thing an Accusump might help with, or at least give you some buffer?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is that the sort of thing an Accusump might help with, or at least give you some buffer?

I guess that's on the list, as well as an oil cooler. I think the PO-installed catch can was too small so oil was just blowing through it instead of being caught.

Don't want to grenade this motor, $3-4k isn't something I feel like pulling out of my rear end.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess that's on the list, as well as an oil cooler. I think the PO-installed catch can was too small so oil was just blowing through it instead of being caught.

Don't want to grenade this motor, $3-4k isn't something I feel like pulling out of my rear end.

Accusump / Moroso accumulator, Earl's oil cooler temp diverter, BMW oil cooler -> -6AN plate, oil t-stat elimination from pump block, -6AN fittings / hose should come in under $500 - just add Setrab of your choice. :)

Not cheap insurance, but insurance worth buying IMO.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

e: double

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Accusumps may help but ... I dunno, a 3 quart accusump is maybe 5 seconds of oil pressure and on slicks I've seen longer oil pressure losses than that. Dry sump or bust for me, at least past DOT-Rs.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

FatCow posted:

Blaise, what number are you? There are a few yellow miata.

I'm sorry I didn't check this thread!

I was #323. There was more then one yellow miata?!??!?! Maybe in SM, I have a street-ish HPDE car. Sorry I missed you! Great fun this weekend although I'm kinda surprised/bummed I didn't get to run in the wet.

Anyone for NJMP this weekend with NASA?

God, I am going to be so broke for the winter :lol:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Blaise posted:

I'm sorry I didn't check this thread!

I was #323. There was more then one yellow miata?!??!?! Maybe in SM, I have a street-ish HPDE car. Sorry I missed you! Great fun this weekend although I'm kinda surprised/bummed I didn't get to run in the wet.

Anyone for NJMP this weekend with NASA?

God, I am going to be so broke for the winter :lol:

Me! Working Friday/Saturday driving Sunday.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Well the new racecar almost lasted a season. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmkqAC5QfA

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is it a built motor?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Me! Working Friday/Saturday driving Sunday.

Running 1 or 2?

I (not) seriously will be swept into depression if you're running faster times than me again as a noob. :cry:

*removes brake pedal from car*

Blaise fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 9, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He has 300 whatever HP on tap; whatever time you have on him experience wise or in the corners, he'll be able to erase it via the right pedal.

E: what times were you running around VIR Full?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Slow. 2:32 was my only clean lap. Granted I was new to the track and had to leave way early due to 8hr drive home. Stock 1.6 car with RC1s and nearly decade old FM 1.5 suspension.

He was a second faster than me at the Glen (best lap 2:31, virtual best 2:29). That's likely due to power.... I wasn't actually being serious about being upset. This is all in good fun :)

If it stays dry I'd love to sneak into the very low 40s at thunderbolt this weekend. I didn't realize how crappy my old A008s were until I tried switching back to them from my RC-1s on early Sunday when we weren't sure if the racing line was dry. So here's to hoping. Yay fun!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Top speeds on the back/front straights?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

Top speeds on the back/front straights?

105ish front, 108ish back. Never got to 5th.

Again, stock original '92 1.6 motor. 2450lb with driver... I think the 104whp dyno might have been a bit high after all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're definitely down on power, but I've seen local guys with really worn out 1.6s barely make it to 100mph. The back straight is all about power since it's uphill.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I could stand to pull another 50lb out of it by removing the PS/AC. Doubt that would help much, especially since I doubt the PS draws much.

Either way I'm having a blast. Just maybe not as fast as a noob in a FoRS :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

Well the new racecar almost lasted a season. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmkqAC5QfA

:( drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Blaise posted:

I could stand to pull another 50lb out of it by removing the PS/AC. Doubt that would help much, especially since I doubt the PS draws much.

Either way I'm having a blast. Just maybe not as fast as a noob in a FoRS :)

2:32 is not to shabby for a stockish 1.6L. Numbers sound about right, when I had a stock power full interior 1.8NA I only started using 5th gear after I got pretty used to VIR.

I saw your car up under false grid, I debated rolling the dice. But going up to someone from the Internet is awkward as gently caress even when you know you have the right guy.

I threw away a 2nd/shot at 1st by not adapting for a stuck caliper, ended up in 3rd after a pretty significant off. Next race I drove worse, but stayed on the track and hung on to 2nd, about .8s off the leader. It was enough to win the class for the year, which was largely a participation award.