Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah the primary challenge surviving the nights in darkwood seem to revolve around finding a corner that's good to snuggle up in; the other part is just knowing when you've been made so you can move away any dressers or whatever before your intruders scrap them. i started a new game and i'm ignoring injections completely, so occasionally i'm able to take a night just by shoving a dresser in front of the door, barricading the windows, and turning off the lights (but keeping them within arm's reach). i'll hear a lot of activity, but with no noise from me being stationary and no light from me keeping the lamp off, a nontrivial amount of the time the visitors just fail to pick up on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My girlfriend is playing Darkwood because she likes spooky games. Any tips for her? She's not really used to playing games but she's enjoying it and I don't want her to get frustrated.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Azran posted:

My girlfriend is playing Darkwood because she likes spooky games. Any tips for her? She's not really used to playing games but she's enjoying it and I don't want her to get frustrated.
Make saves backup when she is done, so she doesn't need to start over from scratch.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Darkwood:

Melee combat is going to be immensely frustrating. You can walk backwards and sideways to dodge dogs long enough to smack them but the timing is tricky. It only gets harder from there. Use traps.

Make and keep a lantern equipped during the day in new areas, shiny rocks will glint and sell for $$$. Lanterns last 1-2 days if your manage equipping it.

Don't cook on the stove until the second or third house, if ever

You don't have to run the generator in the first safehouse if you don't use the stove so just sit quietly in the dark rearranging your workbench inventory

Answer the knock at night

Dying at night seems to have no adverse effects, don't sweat it

Make and sell torches for money, don't let that vendor go away with empty inv spots

Someone here said to hoard nails and boards and you do need them but you can go overboard, i have so much stuff i have nowhere to put it

Make a pistol asap and buy magazines, they aren't that expensive since you get 6 shots for 40ish, and if you are bad at melee this is a must. The pistol is the most cost efficient weapon by far.

You only need one pistol (and other weapons) and it never gets damaged so sell parts you don't need.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 15, 2017

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
For anyone else interested in checking out Darkwood: the devs have put a torrent of the game up for free and encourage people to either buy through an official retailer or use the free download (as opposed to buying a discounted copy from key resellers).
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/26/darkwood-devs-upload-game-torrent

It's a neat idea, I hope it works out well for them. I wasn't going to try it before because I'm a huge baby when it comes to horror games, but now I can give it a go and then buy it if I put more than a few hours in.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Darkwood:

Dying at night seems to have no adverse effects, don't sweat it

If you survive the night you get free reputation with the trader (+100 at the first safehouse, +150 2nd, +200 3rd, that's as far as I've got). If you die you don't get it for that night. No other ill effects that I've seen though.

Tip for melee combat: there's a secondary attack bound by default to mouse3 that's faster (doesn't require charging up) but uses more stamina. Has saved my rear end many, many times.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

not cooking is the biggest tip that i wish i had gotten earlier. the negatraits you get from cooking stuff up for injections are at least as bad as the perks are good, and the added time and effort you spend gathering junk that cooks up will detract from gathering actually useful things. focus on your fundamentals so you can start affording better work benches, more inventory space, more belt space, etc - these are the things that will let you thrive, not any of the dumb bargains you buy into by cooking.

i mean later on if you pile on 4 perks or whatever you can get a build that makes sense and marginalizes the bad stuff but early on it's just not worth it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, thanks guys! How does losing items upon death work, by the way? Should one be always dumping their useful stuff at their safehouse or something? Will I lose the pistol if I die with it equipped? Are there any items that don't drop on death?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It drops half of your inventory. Specifically your inventory, not your belt.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Coolguye posted:

It drops half of your inventory. Specifically your inventory, not your belt.

Alright, thanks!

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Any thoughts on Project Zomboid? Is there a goon group who plays it? I'm looking a sandbox game to play with goons. Was looking at Crea, Terraria also. Minecraft I'm burnt out on.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
If you can get zomboid for cheap its worth wasting a dozen or so hours on it with friends. Its a game you'll go "hmm this is kinda neat", play it for a while and then never pick it up again. The developers don't really know what they're doing with it. Its kind of like 7 Days to Die in that regard or was at least. It seems those guys are starting to add some more depth to the game these days.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I think Zomboid is pretty fun. I don't know about those other games. Zomboid's had a notoriously slow development, going on for like 7 years now I think. It's a very ambitious game and they bit off more than they could chew. From reading their weekly blog posts, they hired a couple of new industry veterans recently and the development seems to be amping up a bit more. They're just now in the process of implementing vehicles, which is badly needed because the map is so huge. They just released a big update like a week ago I think, but the vehicles are still very buggy and they're in a separate test build of the game at the moment. Don't buy it and expect anywhere near a finished product.

That said, I still think the game is fun, it's cheap, I've wasted too much time on it and I haven't really even touched the multiplayer. The game has really tense gameplay, as you're surrounded by literally thousands of zombies spread across the different towns. Firing a gun brings enormous hordes of them right down on you, so the gameplay is mostly spent creeping around and hiding, using melee weapons, burglarizing all the buildings and houses around you, boarding up windows and doors and building a little zombie fort and tending your little garden and whatnot.

There is no end-game at the moment, so it's just building up your fort and your stockpile of things while you watch the world around you become more overgrown and decayed and then you get bored, quit, and then maybe come back months later when they've added more crap to the game. I don't know of any goon groups that play it.

Here's the map, which is fun to look at for a bit (out of date too as they just added a new town in the north): https://map.projectzomboid.com/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone tried Wayward? I bought it last night on a whim but haven't had a chance to play.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Anyone seens SOS?
https://www.sosgame.com/#beta

It's a 16 player surival game. But with more of a hunger game vibe.
To win you have to get a relic off of zombies around the map. Then call in an helicopter for evac. Only up to 3 people can escape. So in game voice chat you can make alliances but you still don't know if you can trust them.
Also viewers are watching the stream and can vote on supply drops for contestants.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone tried Wayward? I bought it last night on a whim but haven't had a chance to play.

You can see pretty much all the content in a weekend, but for the price it's a fun game. The game has a good / evil mechanic that changes the difficulty of the enemies that spawn, where planting and harvesting your own crops / trees = good, and doing basically anything else = evil. Once you get a little farm going it's easy enough to balance out your evil points as long as you're careful, and you sure as hell better because even basic enemies turned into evil elites have a really good chance to kill you. And the ways to practice combat to get tough are, you guessed it, evil.

I did like it but the entire game is basically built around balancing that mechanic while staying alive and advancing, and it definitely needs tuning. After awhile I wound up farming and letting the crops rot, because I didn't need the food but did need the points. Also, by the end it mostly made me want to play Unreal World instead.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 3, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

metasynthetic posted:

You can see pretty much all the content in a weekend, but for the price it's a fun game. The game has a good / evil mechanic that changes the difficulty of the enemies that spawn, where planting and harvesting your own crops / trees = good, and doing basically anything else = evil. Once you get a little farm going it's easy enough to balance out your evil points as long as you're careful, and you sure as hell better because even basic enemies turned into evil elites have a really good chance to kill you. And the ways to practice combat to get tough are, you guessed it, evil.

I did like it but the entire game is basically built around balancing that mechanic while staying alive and advancing, and it definitely needs tuning. After awhile I wound up farming and letting the crops rot, because I didn't need the food but did need the points. Also, by the end it mostly made me want to play Unreal World instead.

fwiw, you can turn those rotted crops into fertilizer which is a pretty hefty amount of benificienciencienent points. It's pretty easy to pick up. Lesson one: do nothing with your bare hands, even digging in dirt. Odds of it hurting you (or worse, causing bleeding) are too high to really ever be worth it as anything but a last resort.

Also, weirdly, that game is having multiplayer added to it soon. I say 'weirdly' because it's turnbased, normally.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Any recommendations for a game like Dont Starve Together or Wayward? I want a cool 2d survival game.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Turd Herder posted:

Any recommendations for a game like Dont Starve Together or Wayward? I want a cool 2d survival game.

Depends what you mean by 2d. Rimworld seems like an obvious suggestion.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I have been scouting for survival games lately, and here's some trip report:

Balrum: Isometric RPG with crafting, cooking, farming, hunger, thirst, monster fighting, magic, pet, and a personal realm to build what you want.

Zafehouse Diaries: Map/Photo based Zombie apocalypse with survival and resource management.

Subterrain: Futuristic TUnderground Zombie Survival with interesting story and a sci-fi base management with 3D printers and stuff. Kinda like an one man xcom with protect your base with turrets and your guns. Thirst, hunger, sleep, toilet, and infection hud. Isometric.

How to Survive: Isometric Zombie Apoc RPG with this long tutorial guy with Borderland-style presentation. It have the usual thirst, hunger, and sleep, but get boring after awhile with the same method to fulfill the needs.

Dead in Bermuda: Castaway with survival management to collect resources. Research and building stuff improve the camp. All survival have a relation meter with each other, and the writing is pretty good enough for them to have distinguish personality. Finding out the weird mystery of the island and unlock individual secret of each member optionally. Lots of stats for each task and usual needs meter. Even the camp fire need wood about 2-3 days.

Tharsis: Haven't try this yet, and only got three stars reviews. Space stranded survival with crew member management. Canniblism is a selling point in the description. :crossarms:

Edit:
ICY: Terrific story. Frozen North survival with map and survivor management. Each character have their own personality and events with other characters in the party. Most choices matter that affect ending and faction you side with.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 22, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tharsis is less a survival game and more of a board game. Everything you do is based off of literal dice rolls. You have to provide enough food every turn for the crew but you also have to fix your ship with your limited resources. If you don't make enough food, you can eat dead crew members but they take penalties.

It's a fun little time waster but after a few runs you'll have seen everything.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Never heard of Balrum but it's got just the right level of nostalgia in the graphics and all the right buzzwords to make me want to play it. Can anyone tell me more about it? Like is the focus more on the crafting or the RPG elements and how balanced and engaging is it all?

I mean it's promising 'Dozens of Side Quests and an Epic Main Quest' but I can't suss out a single detail about the actual plot from the description.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Depends what you mean by 2d. Rimworld seems like an obvious suggestion.

Less of a management game and more of a single player you play as base builder.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Zoe posted:

Never heard of Balrum but it's got just the right level of nostalgia in the graphics and all the right buzzwords to make me want to play it. Can anyone tell me more about it? Like is the focus more on the crafting or the RPG elements and how balanced and engaging is it all?
Crafting are optional, but doing it yourself save money and eventually making it better than most shop. You would have to harvest/purchase the ingredient like wood and herb though. It's turn based rpg and each enemy have their gimmick that make them deadly in their own way like frog will pull you to it, slug leaves poison trail, etc. Some of them can be captured to become your pet.

I heard melee isn't as good as archery and magic, but those skills looks pretty strong. Archer skill is like inflicting physical status effect. Magic is everything covered.

It's free roaming sandbox, so it's as engaging as you bother on whatever aspect of the game you want to focus on. You could focus on making money or farm in your domain.

There's a lot of difficulty choices and a button to super slow the hunger/thirst meter if you want it easier. It's still quite tactically difficult for me, and I like it.

I haven't gone too deep into the game since I am messing around with crafting and exploring, but the story is about bunch of village are sealed in the forest for many generation, and no one know what the outside world is like, so the MC probably is going to get out or something. Also some big bad is trying to kill me and been sending me scary dream like a whole map of high tier monster that I can only leave by attacking it and get horribly murdered.

It's good.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Nyaa posted:

I have been scouting for survival games lately, and here's some trip report:

Balrum: Isometric RPG with crafting, cooking, farming, hunger, thirst, monster fighting, magic, pet, and a personal realm to build what you want.

How is Balrum? It looked interesting when it came out, but I've heard nothing about it since. How much of it is RPG, how much of it is crafting, cooking and farming?

Edit: refresh before posting.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Very helpful, thanks. I'll probably get this at some point when I don't have anything important going on a good new game will immediately derail.

Also, it's more of a city management thing, but if things like Rimworld or DF count is there anyone else looking forward to Frostpunk? Having a similar discussion on another forum and I just got linked to this one. It's by the This War of Mine devs, set for a 2018 release and looks pretty interesting so far.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Subterrain looks interesting - can anyone comment on it? Does the gameplay resemble any other type of survival game? It looks neat but I'm not so sure if I'd like it. The description has me very interested though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Subterrain is alright, but it very quickly becomes a grindfest. If you're happy spending £12.99 on about 4-6 hours worth of enjoyable content, go for it. After the 6 hour mark and the basics are all secured, the game becomes extremely repetitive and the enjoyment factor tanks. If you're one of those people who become hooked on games and like grinding / repetitive sorts of gameplay elements, this'll be for you.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Q8ee posted:

Subterrain is alright, but it very quickly becomes a grindfest. If you're happy spending £12.99 on about 4-6 hours worth of enjoyable content, go for it. After the 6 hour mark and the basics are all secured, the game becomes extremely repetitive and the enjoyment factor tanks. If you're one of those people who become hooked on games and like grinding / repetitive sorts of gameplay elements, this'll be for you.

Hmm, unfortunately that doesn't sound great. Thanks for your write up on the game, I appreciate it.

I guess 4-6 hours of content is okay. Maybe I can grab it when it goes on sale. Did you enjoy your 4-6 hours? Is there another game you feel like it compares to? Maybe Don't Starve in a weird way?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Vasler posted:

Hmm, unfortunately that doesn't sound great. Thanks for your write up on the game, I appreciate it.

I guess 4-6 hours of content is okay. Maybe I can grab it when it goes on sale. Did you enjoy your 4-6 hours? Is there another game you feel like it compares to? Maybe Don't Starve in a weird way?

I've reached an age where games quickly lose their enjoyment factor, which really sucks. Used to be I could binge on a game no matter how bad it was and still have a blast. I played Subterrain for about 2 hours before I hit that really annoying epiphany where your brain breaks down the game and makes you realise it's grindy and you'll just be doing the same things over and over (get iron to make iron weapons, that will allow you to get steel to make steel weapons, etc).

After the two hours and getting fairly into the game, I haven't touched it since. I'd definitely say it's worth picking up during a sale. You could also buy it full price and refund it if you don't like how it plays, though I guarantee you'll enjoy it to the point where you'll be brushing very close to the 2hr refund window.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Zafehouse Diaries: Map/Photo based Zombie apocalypse with survival and resource management.

I played this game entirely too much. It reminds me a lot of the old school adventure games before 3D really took off and the atmosphere and gameplay turned out to be a lot more addicting than I'd expected.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Given how broad we're getting with the suggestions, if you *also* enjoy roguelikes, I'd say give C:DDA a try sometime, but it's got flaws and other poo poo encumbering the good moments.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

subterrain is good fun when you get to the point where you understand what you need to do and go about doing it relatively efficiently, but unfortunately that takes a good couple of tries before you really get that down. just off the top of my head:

- the first 'safe' area that you set up at NEEDS the first upgraded set of air purifiers and heating regulators before you leave for your first expedition. you can keep the infestation under control pretty well if you jump on it, but it quickly spirals out of control if you don't make it top priority. take the time to get it done.

- directly following from the above, transit times are a REAL bitch. do not travel any more than you absolutely have to, because you'll burn your time really loving quick.

- this leads into an awkward catch-22 in the game design. you want to get as much done to control the infestation in as little time as possible, but doing that efficiently requires some deity-level foresight. otherwise you will lose multiple hours transiting to and from your base to pick up required tools.

after a good handful of times playing, this is what that boiled down to for me: when going out on an expedition to a new area, do not bother coming with spare space for loot. bring as much life support as possible, bring whatever weapons are necessary, and search nothing. just go balls out looking for the air purifier and/or temp regulator. definitely bring spare o2 tanks and heat cells. you will not be able to get through it with one set. drop the heater core and air filter you brought at the spawn to be your 'loot space' for opportunistically looting food, water, etc. ignore enemies if you can. seriously, DO NOTHING BUT FIND THOSE loving MACHINES, because every second they are off is another second for the infestation to spread and, more saliently, you to consume limited resources and get a step closer to dying from oxygen starvation and hypothermia. and you will be at risk of that because i guaranfuckingtee that those machines will be as far from you as they possibly can be. after the area has air and heat, you can do a more thorough search of the area and look at bringing stuff back to base.

i'm sure there's a handful of other things i'm forgetting right now, but the point here is that subterrain subverts a lot of the normal tropes you expect from games of its type and doesn't give you any hints of what's up until you're dead to rights. most survival games are methodical affairs where you have to be deliberate and clear-headed, but as your primary opponent is the environment you need be in no particular hurry. subterrain is not like this. the entire first half of the game is a frantic scramble against a looming disaster you cannot see on a schedule you're not told about. this can be SUPER frustrating since trial and error gameplay isn't the best experience.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 23, 2017

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Subterrain isn't really a survival game. The challenge is in managing your time properly so you can travel up the research tree faster than the hostile mobs are evolving. Keeping your hunger/thirst/fatigue meters taken care of is trivial in comparison to the janky as gently caress combat.

I would disagree that finding the purifiers and regulators is important in the beginning. Your first expeditions should all be about diving as quickly as possible to find the data disc (and journal entry pointing to the next) that you're after. Don't look around to loot. Don't even stop to loot except for grabbing monasite/bastnaesite gems/jewelry and the food/drinks that you need for your next two meals or so. There's more than enough scrap laying around in the central base and engineering sector to build everything you might need until you've gotten at least one, maybe two, backpack upgrades. Every data disk (except for research level 2?) has a nearby log entry that will tell you where the next disk of that type is. That log entry will mark the disk on your map once you get to the correct floor. So if a floor doesn't have a mark you should power up the elevator and take the stairs down as soon as you find them.

Your tram has an inventory. Until you've researched and produced higher quality canisters you should reserve the tram inventory for every oxygen and thermal canister you find. Find and activate the power for every floor you visit. On random floors it's next to the stairs down. You only have to search around on the tram level floors. After that it's much quicker to elevator up to the tram and swap out empty canisters than searching for and finding the purifiers and regulators. Bring spare weapons in your inventory, batons are always the best choice for damage carried per weight/inventory slot. Bring a couple pistols or SMGs too, to handle enemies that you shouldn't melee. A hour in-game passes every two minutes in real-life. So leaving one of the residential districts and coming back later only costs you four minutes of searching. Finding the purifier or regulator is going to take a good half hour each. So don't bother tracking down purifiers and regulators until you're ready to power that district forever, which is not your first visit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

infestation evolution is tied directly to how much biomass and spread there is, so getting sections powered, filtered, and heated effectively buys you a LOT more time to figure out all the other research stuff - which, at least in my experience, takes a fair bit of research and thought to do correctly. there's so many ways to waste your goddamn time unless you know exactly what you are doing, and the survival aspect of it, to me at least, was creating enough of a buffer that you could actually explore and figure some poo poo out without having a false start every time you got another 10% further in the game.

because geez-us was that my experience for the first 4-ish hours i played subterrain.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

infestation evolution is tied directly to how much biomass and spread there is, so getting sections powered, filtered, and heated effectively buys you a LOT more time to figure out all the other research stuff - which, at least in my experience, takes a fair bit of research and thought to do correctly. there's so many ways to waste your goddamn time unless you know exactly what you are doing, and the survival aspect of it, to me at least, was creating enough of a buffer that you could actually explore and figure some poo poo out without having a false start every time you got another 10% further in the game.

because geez-us was that my experience for the first 4-ish hours i played subterrain.

Oh, it definitely does. But you don't have the spare power to leave extra districts powered until you've gotten engineering 2 and mining 2 so you can produce upgraded reactor cores. Once you're that far you might as well grab biosphere 2* so you can be installing blue filters and regulators in the 4 central districts + prison. That's a third of the districts covered without searching the randomly generated levels more than you have to. And you don't really have spare power to cover the commercial districts until you've gotten engineering 3 and mining 3 (research 2 is a prerequisite) for the next tier of reactors. And at that point, hey, you're past the horrific difficulty hump because all your equipment is 2x as strong as starter trash. You should still be moving as quickly as you can, because the enemies at the end of the evolution tree are awful and the difference between level 4 gear and level 3 gear is not enough to make that bearable.

And travel time just isn't worth stressing over compared to searching time. Two minutes deciding whether to grab or drop something, or backtracking over a corridor to search that room at the start of the floor, is equal to a tram ride.

EDIT*: Actually I'd recommend biosphere 2 before mining 2, because you already have the 4 central districts powered and medium oxygen/thermal canisters are a really important upgrade.

ADDING: I wonder if this is partly stemming from version differences? When I first played the O2 systems and thermal systems always generated on the same floors, so you knew when you'd have to spend a few minutes searching and when you were just looking for the next staircase. But that's different now. So to find both systems in, for example, the Casino you really do have to plan on searching all five floors completely.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 23, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, that was not the case when i played. i should probably boot the game back up after i've worked through my shadow of war addiction.

did they ever add something to help fatigue levels? i know last time i played they were only partially ironically talking about adding a way to do coke or something to avoid sleeping. honestly i normally avoid dope in video games but subterrain is one where i'd seriously consider it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Long Dark is a good game, I think survival simulation is a difficult genre to make because you really want realism out of it. In reality if I need firewood and i'm in some lovely wooden cabin, I'd probably hack a wallboard or some other piece of superfluous construction to pieces and burn it, that's hard to implement in a 3d game. If I'm cold I'd probably line the inside of my coat with all of the newspapers i found lying around as emergency insulation, but in the game they can only be used as tinder, and so forth. The Long Dark is definitely getting there though, it really does kind of feel you're surviving in the wilderness. I don't think it needed a postapocalyptic story mode and whatnot, just give me extremely realistic survival.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Shibawanko posted:

The Long Dark is a good game, I think survival simulation is a difficult genre to make because you really want realism out of it. In reality if I need firewood and i'm in some lovely wooden cabin, I'd probably hack a wallboard or some other piece of superfluous construction to pieces and burn it, that's hard to implement in a 3d game. If I'm cold I'd probably line the inside of my coat with all of the newspapers i found lying around as emergency insulation, but in the game they can only be used as tinder, and so forth. The Long Dark is definitely getting there though, it really does kind of feel you're surviving in the wilderness. I don't think it needed a postapocalyptic story mode and whatnot, just give me extremely realistic survival.

I enjoy the Long Dark a lot, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it really realistic. I mean, I get it, it's a pretty good simulation of that kind of scenario, but a bunch of the mechanics and gameplay/techniques don't have anything to do with realism. The wildlife aside, dehydration/hydration in arctic climates don't work that way, you're not walking anywhere in the snow, firewood and making fires are a lot simpler and bows and such are not going to be available for you to use unless you find them. Among a bunch of things. What the Long Dark is though, is a fun survival game which is something that's apparently very hard to do.

It's certainly more realistic than most games I can think of. I really agree with you that it's a difficult genre of game to make, but at the same time I don't know that "extremely realistic surivial" would even be all that fun, even if someone made that game. Most of the time would be spent doing tedious maintenance and crafting supplies to survive with, which the Long Dark handles pretty well but even there it kind of grates on you after a while.

I figure for an even more interesting game, you could add a lot of the mechanics from that game and also play a survivor of an alien invasion or something, to present a threat from something other than purely environment. The Long Dark kind of does this with wolves and bears, but that's also kind of stupid. Even more so than aliens, really. A survival game needs more than just survival to be entertaining over a longer stretch of time, in my own personal opinion. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between realism and a main gameplay mechanism like hide and seek/search and destroy-loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

I enjoy the Long Dark a lot, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it really realistic. I mean, I get it, it's a pretty good simulation of that kind of scenario, but a bunch of the mechanics and gameplay/techniques don't have anything to do with realism. The wildlife aside, dehydration/hydration in arctic climates don't work that way, you're not walking anywhere in the snow, firewood and making fires are a lot simpler and bows and such are not going to be available for you to use unless you find them. Among a bunch of things. What the Long Dark is though, is a fun survival game which is something that's apparently very hard to do.

It's certainly more realistic than most games I can think of. I really agree with you that it's a difficult genre of game to make, but at the same time I don't know that "extremely realistic surivial" would even be all that fun, even if someone made that game. Most of the time would be spent doing tedious maintenance and crafting supplies to survive with, which the Long Dark handles pretty well but even there it kind of grates on you after a while.

I figure for an even more interesting game, you could add a lot of the mechanics from that game and also play a survivor of an alien invasion or something, to present a threat from something other than purely environment. The Long Dark kind of does this with wolves and bears, but that's also kind of stupid. Even more so than aliens, really. A survival game needs more than just survival to be entertaining over a longer stretch of time, in my own personal opinion. I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between realism and a main gameplay mechanism like hide and seek/search and destroy-loot.

Actually yeah the alien invasion thing sounds like it could be fun, and different from tedious zombies. Maybe make it so that the entire equator and temperate zones have been destroyed by a radiation pulse or whatever, with the only survivors near the poles, then ambush the occasional search party of intelligent aliens. They shouldn't be zombielike though, more like highly intelligent grays who silently hunt you individually or in pairs.

You're right I suppose in that absolute realism wouldn't really be fun, but there is something frustrating in situations in the Long Dark where I think "i should be able to do that, but I can't", like the newspapers thing or just wearing 3 coats or something to stay warm. Clothing degradation also seems a little gamey.