Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Cawl has this feedback loop thing going where I actively dislike the Mars special rules but a 9 inch shooting reroll aura is way too good to ignore.

Yeah, like, I keep wanting to try out different Forge worlds, but then I don't get Cawl so its not worth it. They've obviously all been balanced as if "Having access to Cawl" isn't a Mars specific bonus (which makes sense so they can make different Forge World characters later) but in the meantime it just means that there's basically no point in the different Forge worlds. The only real choice is whether you make a dominus your warlord so he can have some wargear, or you take the 9" aura on Cawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I hope Saim-Hann get the Tallarn vehicle doctrine for their Craftworld bonus, I haven't painted red in a while

and it applies to jetbikes, natch

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Characters do feel very undercosted. Comparing Abbadon to a nameless lord in terminator armor no matter what abbadon is just better even if he forces black crusade legion which is actually good. Barring you roll a 1 on drachnyean he just does better.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Conversion idea

Cainer
May 8, 2008

goose willis posted:

Conversion idea

I heard the new Typhus model was bad but wow, seeing is believing I guess.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

The next time I come over, I'm taking the big one with me when I leave.

He loves cats. I think. I don't think he's actually met one but I suspect he would look at them the same way he looks at squirrels.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think BeerGod's wife will be mad you took her husband.

My wife says she's okay with it, but that my daughter would be sad.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might try to put together a HAM SLAM in my house at some point. It's in Waldorf but there's plenty of room and The Sex Cannon can confirm that my dogs are cool.

What are you looking for in trade?

Waldorf is a haul for me, but you had me at "dogs". I'm tentatively into this, schedule permitting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

Waldorf is a haul for me, but you had me at "dogs". I'm tentatively into this, schedule permitting.

The Pitbull is a sweetheart, and the Rottweiler is a lovable goofball.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might try to put together a HAM SLAM in my house at some point. It's in Waldorf but there's plenty of room and The Sex Cannon can confirm that my dogs are cool.

What are you looking for in trade?

Deffo interesting in a Goon House HAM SLAM. Waldorf is a bit of a hike but not undoable. Also want to pet your dogs, maybe even ignore the game.

For Eldar - Aspect Warriors, any type right now. Maybe characters too.

For Chaos - vehicles, Defilers, maybe Termies or other elites, maybel a Heldrake?

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm definitely interested in the plague drones and have generic CSM stuff to trade for them. You want some defilers or vindicators? Got a lot of those

Would love some defilers! BeerGod will have priority but maybe we can split poo poo up.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
DC area goon (live in Mt Vernon, VA and work in Bowie, MD - right by the GW there) definitely interested in a hamslam. Either as a host, or an attendee.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Deffo interesting in a Goon House HAM SLAM. Waldorf is a bit of a hike but not undoable. Also want to pet your dogs, maybe even ignore the game.

For Eldar - Aspect Warriors, any type right now. Maybe characters too.

For Chaos - vehicles, Defilers, maybe Termies or other elites, maybel a Heldrake?

Would love some defilers! BeerGod will have priority but maybe we can split poo poo up.

Sure, let me know. Got some terminators too. You want metal or plastic?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I am 100% in for any hamslams in Waldorf or Bowie. Meeting people closer than games and stuff to slam hams is great.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Lol just lol if you feel compelled to take a special character for every game. Forge some loving narrative you wusses and play a campaign or 2v2 1000pts per player and that’ll sort you right out. If Bobby G is showing up in our gaming group, it’s drat well by agreement and because the planet we’ve all been fighting over for the past year is about to blow up. Cypher showed up in a non-campaign match with some errant Space Marines against our resident Dark Angel player and that was hilariously fitting.

I mean if you only play pick up games and tournies, then that’s gonna suck, but if you’re feeling compelled to take special characters for Beerhammer then I shake my head at you.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Milotic posted:

Lol just lol if you feel compelled to take a special character for every game. Forge some loving narrative you wusses and play a campaign or 2v2 1000pts per player and that’ll sort you right out. If Bobby G is showing up in our gaming group, it’s drat well by agreement and because the planet we’ve all been fighting over for the past year is about to blow up. Cypher showed up in a non-campaign match with some errant Space Marines against our resident Dark Angel player and that was hilariously fitting.

I mean if you only play pick up games and tournies, then that’s gonna suck, but if you’re feeling compelled to take special characters for Beerhammer then I shake my head at you.

For marines, I unironically agree, but Cawl constitutes like 15% of options of what we can take in our army.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Space helicopter

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Khorne Blood Warriors look loving fantastic as more tribal-looking Khorne Berzerkers, especially because the models are a couple of decades more recent than the ancient models we have right now

What are some other Age of Sigmar models that make for great 40k conversions?

I've seen some people (probably on Iron Sleet) convert the old Cairn Wraith into a creepy tech-priest character. The same would probably apply to the Banshee.

At some indeterminate point in the future, I want to recreate this in plastic:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

this guy gets it. Though I also agree with this:

!Klams posted:

For marines, I unironically agree, but Cawl constitutes like 15% of options of what we can take in our army.

AdMech needs more HQs

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sanford posted:

Space helicopter

The pillar of unutterable filth is a nice touch.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

goose willis posted:

Khorne Blood Warriors look loving fantastic as more tribal-looking Khorne Berzerkers, especially because the models are a couple of decades more recent than the ancient models we have right now

What are some other Age of Sigmar models that make for great 40k conversions?

Kharodan Overlords would make good Squats for an abhuman focused IG army, with Fyreslayer characters for Priests.

Some of the Orruk stuff would work for Snakebite Nobz and Warbosses. The shaman is a great Weirdboy.

Plenty of Old World before AOS stuff works well for 40k too. The Morghasts would be excellent Demon Princes for an undead themed CSM army - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Deathlords-Morghast-Archai

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, if someone works really hard on painting up a cool Magnus or Celestine, I'm pretty sure they'd want to use the model they spent tons of time, effort, and money on. The point really shouldn't be that special characters are the devil. It should be that overpowered, overcentralizing options that appear in every army really shouldn't exist, because they inevitably make the game less fun for everyone.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I feel like Lords of War should have had a more sizable detachment tax, at the very least. The issue would probably be a lot less prevalent if Guilleman etc. would require a Brigade-level army to run normally, rather than having him and a bunch of other super powerful units tag along with a Scout detachment, by using a Super-Heavy detachment.

Basically they'd have all the framework in place to restrict major characters for major games, but have opted not to use them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Named characters don't actually bother me in something like Warmachine because everybody has one. It ends up feeling more like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, and reinforces that there's only a handful of characters in the setting capable of fighting at this tier.

But in 40k, it just feels counter-setting. In a universe of billions of worlds in constant turmoil, Cawl and Abaddon always manage to coincidentally end up on the same table.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I don't understand this mentality. Is it absurd for people to want to play with the models they own, especially the renowned heroes of legend? You're blaming the players because GW is categorically incapable of balancing point costs? That's a real hosed up level of Stockholm Syndrome. It's not an acceptable excuse. Yes, the players are in control of their game experience (for the most part) but making GBS threads on people for wanting better balance is just fucken :rolleyes:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Haha settle down nobody is making GBS threads on balance wanters.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Artum posted:

The pillar of unutterable filth is a nice touch.

Seemed more appropriate than a flight stand.

(Sorry for the lovely pics; I stood on my light box)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Phyresis posted:

I don't understand this mentality. Is it absurd for people to want to play with the models they own, especially the renowned heroes of legend? You're blaming the players because GW is categorically incapable of balancing point costs? That's a real hosed up level of Stockholm Syndrome. It's not an acceptable excuse. Yes, the players are in control of their game experience (for the most part) but making GBS threads on people for wanting better balance is just fucken :rolleyes:

It looks like you're changing sides halfway through this paragraph?

It's the rough equivalent of including General Patton in every platoon of WW2 GI's because the designers undercosted him and he's one third of your command choices.

Stats for Patton should be there for crazy scenarios or whatever, but don't make him a must-include, stupid if you don't, cornerstone of the army.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Stolen from reddit

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Phyresis posted:

Honestly, the fact that only a unit name separates named characters from generics makes this even more weird to me. I bet if you showed someone not into the game a generic Primaris Chaplain side by side with Cipher, they'd think the taller one with a skull mask was the unique character. Maybe its kind of immersion breaking having Gulliman fight Gulliman, but would it suddenly feel better if his name was Bob Spaceman instead?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

moths posted:

It looks like you're changing sides halfway through this paragraph?

It's the rough equivalent of including General Patton in every platoon of WW2 GI's because the designers undercosted him and he's one third of your command choices.

Stats for Patton should be there for crazy scenarios or whatever, but don't make him a must-include, stupid if you don't, cornerstone of the army.

Flames of War says hello :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

Haha settle down nobody is making GBS threads on balance wanters.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
oh hey the scrublords favorite song is playing

~named characters are beautiful unique snowflakes that should never show up~

someone change the station

So Tallarans own and really allow for a protected alpha strike by hiding russes or baneblades off the table until it's time to go. So that's neat. Null deploy guard is going to be super fun.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Arven posted:

Stolen from reddit

No epaulettes says that's not a proper Mordian :colbert:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Naramyth posted:

My wife likes the AoS minis better than 40k.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Naramyth posted:

oh hey the scrublords favorite song is playing

~named characters are beautiful unique snowflakes that should never show up~

So Tallarans own and really allow for a protected alpha strike by hiding russes or baneblades off the table until it's time to go. So that's neat. Null deploy guard is going to be super fun.

i just don't engage anymore. it's better for everyone

Tallarns do fuckin' own and I did want to talk about that stratagem. Like that's some real poo poo right there. It's too bad their flyers don't get the Doctrine, but that's a really minor thing.

Did you know Yarrick's Warlord trait is the voice of command one? How exactly does that work :thunk:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Those guard conversions looks incredibly badass but it sounds like such a pain in the rear end to have to convert all 60 guardsman you're runing or whatever. Probably expensive too, since a lot of those looked like you'd basically need two seperate kits.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cawl seems pretty perfect for where he's at to me, a person that fields him in every match. He's not unkillable. I lost him last game to some Wulfen. He only has a 5+ invulnerable save, isn't that great in close combat and has an effective shooting range of 12". It drives me crazy that other factions have access to 4+ or 3+ invulns while AdMech lost all theirs.

The main purpose of Cawl is to set him in the back and reroll shots, fix wounds on my Dunecrawlers/Knights and heal other characters so they can heal wounds.

250 points for him seems reasonable.

I will admit though that my main issue with the AdMech Codex (aside from it being poorly written and kinda bland) is the lack of options, like many people here have lamented. They could have just added an HQ choice that was a Master of Skitarii, could be kitted out to any Forgeworld and have access to minor buffs/gear. It's literally a robot faction, let people build their own robots, wtf GW?

While the other Forgeworlds look really cool aesthetically and some of the stratagems are interesting and effective, it's not worth taking them over Cawl to me.

Edit: I should point out, this is the narrative I actually like to play. My faction is Mars, my knight house is Taranis and I dig the background on Cawl. I could probably field a more competitive army with way more HQ choices (since I have 2 Enginseers and 2 Dominus') but I love dropping Cawl on the table with my Mars force surrounding him.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pendent posted:

Those guard conversions looks incredibly badass but it sounds like such a pain in the rear end to have to convert all 60 guardsman you're runing or whatever. Probably expensive too, since a lot of those looked like you'd basically need two seperate kits.

I'm glad Tanith First and Only is present as an example of characters you'll spend hours caring for only to have them die unceremoniously in droves.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pendent posted:

Just get them off Victoria Miniatures or suchlike. Better sculpts, minimal kitbashing necessary.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

DiHK posted:

My wife likes the AoS minis better than 40k.

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm glad Tanith First and Only is present as an example of characters you'll spend hours caring for only to have them die unceremoniously in droves.

:laffo:

Liquid Communism posted:

Just get them off Victoria Miniatures or suchlike. Better sculpts, minimal kitbashing necessary.

Victoria Miniatures has some gorgeous models for sure, there just aren't any that really match what I want to do for a guard army. It's certainly not cheaper buying from their either at ~50 USD for a squad of 10.