Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

NmareBfly posted:

lol if you think Soros would hire the same people for more than one crisis, in this day and age when you can identify people by their posture from a satellite image. This isn't his first rodeo, you know.

It's the same reason Tim Burton always casts Johnny Depp. Directors have favorite actors who they love working with.

George Soros is evil enough to globalize the globe and fake tragedies, but not evil enough to kill people. He goes out of his way and endangers his schemes just to keep people safe. The man's a saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
A full auto firing rate is essential for any serious pistol hunting.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Randbrick posted:

A full auto firing rate is essential for any serious pistol hunting.

Cabela's Big Game Hunter is true to life, when one goes hunting there are literally dozens of game targets fleeing before the hunter, and it requires full auto to get your kills.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think studies have shown that the human brain can only recognize about 200 different faces before it starts to blur together

yeah but more specifically, studies of people who believe in crisis actors have shown they have below normal ability to distinguish faces so when they're like THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE and you look and it's nowhere near the same person, their brain actually can't tell the difference

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the Colt Single Action Army was well known for its deer hunting purpose

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/915217924272656389

https://mobile.twitter.com/CahnEmily/status/915218028790509568

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Crisis actors should all be recognizable working character actors. I want to see Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy running from a cgi explosion.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

twice burned ice posted:

In this thread I said that a nut with 17 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo would have been flagged by a sane registry system.

The replies were exactly what you'd expect.

"What do you mean? I have 25 guns and tens of thousands of rounds. Should I be flagged????"

Yes you loving imbecile. Yes.

After Adam Lanza I was in favor of reforms to the gun registry system but I'm not sure what mechanism would stop the Vegas shooter. Psych evaluations? Surveillance? Being flagged sounds like security theater.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Randbrick posted:

Crisis actors should all be recognizable working character actors. I want to see Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy running from a cgi explosion.

Can we have the actor playing the bomber recognize O'Hara's character and comment on how good of a lay she was?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Onion is real.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I heard they are thinking of doubling it from 140 to 280 guns.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
With republicans, you'll day hey we need gun control or regulation, and they'll say no no what you need is mental health treatment and you'll say ok let's reform the broken system we set up from the shards of the mental health system we blew up in the 80s

And by the time you get that far the republican has left the room run to his car and you're talking to a cartoon tire screech in the shape of a human dust cloud. You will never see that republican again.

nerox
May 20, 2001

blunt for century posted:

Eh, not really. You need the full auto trigger group as well as a full auto bolt carrier for the DIAS to actually do the full auto thing, IIRC

My understanding is that a semi-automatic bolt carrier can't be easily modified to be a full auto bolt carrier and manufacturing your own bolt carrier would be much harder than any other part of the triggering mechanism. The bolt carrier is completely unregulated. :downs:

While 3d printed guns tend to break, I am pretty sure you could 3d print every other part of a full auto mechanism. You could then use that to cast it all in aluminum or another metal.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Randbrick posted:

Randbrick posted:

With republicans, you'll day hey we need gun control or regulation, and they'll say no no what you need is mental health treatment and you'll say ok let's reform the broken system we set up from the shards of the mental health system we blew up in the 80s

And by the time you get that far the republican has left the room run to his car and you're talking to a cartoon tire screech in the shape of a human dust cloud. You will never see that republican again.

The GOP's motto should be "NO not like THAT".

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 3, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

my little baby niece had to say "christ has risen" a bunch of times at church and then asked what a crisis lizard is.

That would have gotten me slapped in Guatemala or Florida. Your niece owns.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

blunt for century posted:

Eh, not really. You need the full auto trigger group as well as a full auto bolt carrier for the DIAS to actually do the full auto thing, IIRC

You also have to drill a hole and expand the fire control pocket in your AR-15 lower to fit the new sear group. It's one of the ways you can spot a converted or fully-automatic AR, since the pins are positioned differently in the semi-auto and full-auto models.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dmitri-9 posted:

After Adam Lanza I was in favor of reforms to the gun registry system but I'm not sure what mechanism would stop the Vegas shooter. Psych evaluations? Surveillance? Being flagged sounds like security theater.

I feel like you're missing a really obvious and crucial mechanism.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can't remember the guy's name but the guy in the front of the line to buy iphones has been on the news hundreds of times giving reactions to things and professionally just walks around places trying to give reactions to things for the news.

How do you get paid for that? I can imagine it being a hobby, but I really don't see how you can go pro with that concept.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Holy poo poo. What do you do with 140 guns? Or even 17?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

We know. We all know.

Who the gently caress are you TALKING to, my dude? No one in this thread voted for this. MOST of America didn't vote for this.

Noone, I'm frustrated and I need to type my frustrations at noone in particular. :smith:

Or maybe I'm wondering how far we are from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs&t=864s

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 3, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dmitri-9 posted:

i dont think we're going to get gun hoarding classified as a mental illness that is the basis to take away your guns so that is probably true. the regulation the vegas shooter shows is badly needed is regulations (a) strictly prohibiting and criminalizing the possession or distribution of modifications to make a semiautomatic fully automatic and (b) barring the manufacture of weapons that can be trivially modified to fire automatically or effectively automatically

basically, the bump stock loophole needs to be closed and the "you break this pin here to make it full auto but it's illegal wink wink know what i mean know what i mean"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
There is a ~tactical~ argument that full auto is often a waste of bullets more than anything, but that just means that something that's a military rifle in every functional way except full auto is just about equally suited to mass killing of people, and thus equally illegitimate for civilian use. And you can buy those with no more restrictions to speak of than a shotgun for hunting quail that holds 2 shells. Also you can buy as many as you want and all the ammo you can fit in your basement and there is no mechanism for anybody to even notice it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the gun room!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Noctone posted:

I feel like you're missing a really obvious and crucial mechanism.

What people can only own two guns because Thomas Jefferson used a plural in the Second Amendment?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

yeah but more specifically, studies of people who believe in crisis actors have shown they have below normal ability to distinguish faces so when they're like THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE and you look and it's nowhere near the same person, their brain actually can't tell the difference

Once I was very sick and was getting a thing where no matter what face I looked at I'd get "I know this person" responce from my brain. Like not even as a delusional thing where I thought it with my mind, just purely physically I could feel that feeling with every face, separated from anything. I always think about how easy that would have driven me insane to have that feeling amplify or go away for medical reasons if it had not happened when I was clearly extremely sick and having issues with thinking.

Like if one day I woke up and faces no longer pinged "I know this person" even for people I did know or if every face did like it did that time but permanently and when I wasn't like half passing out.

I always wonder how many "mental illnesses" are things like that. Like the people that want to cut their own arm off maybe having proprioperception diseases and actually having a physical reason for feeling they don't own the arm.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 3, 2017

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

i dont think we're going to get gun hoarding classified as a mental illness that is the basis to take away your guns so that is probably true. the regulation the vegas shooter shows is badly needed is regulations (a) strictly prohibiting and criminalizing the possession or distribution of modifications to make a semiautomatic fully automatic and (b) barring the manufacture of weapons that can be trivially modified to fire automatically or effectively automatically

basically, the bump stock loophole needs to be closed and the "you break this pin here to make it full auto but it's illegal wink wink know what i mean know what i mean"

It reflects very poorly on the us that we have to discuss this in terms of ways to simply reduce the number of people killed, rather than trying to eliminating the mass murders.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How'd you get in LeJackal's basement.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat if the millionaire can't get access to basic mental health services how are we ever going to solve that problem? I guess we should probably focus on keeping guns and ammo out of the hands of these people.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

There Bias Two posted:

This must be a form a hoarding.
Eh, if my mom told him to, he'd happily chop up the bodies and destroy the metal components, though I suspect for expedience's sake he'd just dig a big hole and bury them if she just said, "Get rid of them." He really does treat each like an artifact, hunting down as best as he can the time and location of the manufacture of each component (as many are bastards with pieces from several original weapons). Had his old employer owns a tea kettle plant instead of a gun shop, he'd probably be the world's foremost Le Creuset expert.

Sloober posted:

Sell it.

Someone will buy it.

I would also say i would rather sell a gun safe than a gun.
I will probably put it in my basement and use it for important documents, jewelry, etc. Or maybe just fill it with something exceptionally un-gun-like. The most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood, something that could never, ever possibly destroy us.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"Broke into the wrong God drat recconference room, didn't ya you bastard!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Eh, if my mom told him to, he'd happily chop up the bodies

there are probably better ways to phrase this, i sure did a double-take reading this :v:

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Mental health issues with people who do have access often fold into the community contacts question. Does this person have meaningful community contacts such that someone in a position to act or care will notice he's loony? Boils down to whether or not some government actor or family member is having a 15 plus minute conversation with someone from time to time.

This is how for example we spot abused kids in public schools. Public contacts, without which who knows?

This guy was on a high fixed income and so that scratches off indigent services and monitors from the list of potential community contacts.

Of course the only public signifying act that this guy was loopy is his dragon hoard of guns and ammo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok but this doesn't include when aid was sent/ordered by Trump.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

there are probably better ways to phrase this, i sure did a double-take reading this :v:
And now I can't, because it's funnier this way.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The thing we seem to dance around too much is that owning that many guns or that much ammo is in fact a sign of poor mental health and psychological instability. But heaven forfend you insult the noble majesty of gun lord, the guy who needs hundreds to thousands of rounds for his military killing machines.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dmitri-9 posted:

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, we don't know enough yet about this guy and his motivations and what guns he used, but it sounds like a reform and expansion of ATF regulations about bump stocks and the sale of conversion kits etc. may be indicated. AS useful as that is or isn't in an age of 3d printed gun parts.

Past that, I don't know what policy reforms are both 1) possible and 2) could have mitigated this harm, but I do know that universal health care would have meant there wouldn't need to be a GoFundMe for the victims' health care costs.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dmitri-9 posted:

Psych evaluations? Surveillance? Being flagged sounds like security theater.

How about not having guns to buy. No: The right to own guns is worth 100 billion innocent lives (who are we kidding, lets just make it infinity). America (gently caress Yeah!).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

The truth is a semi-auto gun design is often just a full-auto design with the addition of some mechanism to interrupt the cycle of load-fire-eject so it just doesn't run away indefinitely like a machine gun.

Anything you add can be taken away so...yeah.

That said, a gun that's "only" a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that takes detachable high capacity magazines is also a great spree killing weapon that should be heavily restricted/banned outright. Being able to make it easily full auto on top of that is just the cherry on top.

yeah, but

even this guy didn't use that method of full auto conversion, just bump firing stuff (at least, that we know of?)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really sorry to all you Americans that things have just gone so utterly to poo poo, this thread gets exhausting to read through and that's with the separate country buffer, I can't imagine how hard the last few months have been for some of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The myth of the 'responsible gun owner' needs to go away. Everyone is a responsible gun owner right up until the point where they unload on a shopping mall, or leave their gun on a nightstand while the kids are playing in the room, or decide to shoot at some shoplifters in a crowded carpark, or have a bad day and get cut-off on their drive home, or get into an argument with their neighbour about the property line, or have a disturbed family member who knows where the guns are safely stored, or get mad at an armadillo. Or any one of the thousands of stupid, tragic and unremarkable reasons every year that people die from gunfire in the US.

• Locked thread