Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

interesting that the influx of calls for secession are happening now despite this being the unofficial playbook for the US since its inception 🤔

I'll make an attempt at putting what I (and others) have been insinuating in much more clear terms for you; every single item in your list of frustrations has been happening consistently for decades, if not longer. The fact that it is seemingly no longer acceptable for left-leaning people to ignore the plights of the disenfranchised means that there should be a significant push to affect changes to rectify the system. Advocating for secession is the political equivalent of taking your ball and going home and we've been pointing and laughing at the dipshits in Texas who have been doing the same thing, I don't understand why this situation is notably different. If you think for more than a second that the creation of some PNW nation would in any way solve any of the terrible issues going on nation-wide I will again point you to the vote maps I posted and ask what The United States of Cascadia looks like once you get more than 20 miles outside of Seattle and/or Portland.

20 miles out of Seattle gets you to Federal Way so I understand your hesitation.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jack2142 posted:

20 miles out of Seattle gets you to Federal Way so I understand your hesitation.

Oh noes, Everett lies in just the other direction!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

therobit posted:

So some Portland sewer workers have turned to the Freedom Foundation in a dispute with their union because apparently their local isn't representing them well enough. The guy behind it speaks up in the comments.

http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2017...sters-for-help/

Local 483 is actually my union. Those Freedom Foundation fucks had the audacity to come down to the treatment plant to push their agenda. Duffey is a good guy with decades of laudable service unionizing shops and negotiating for his co workers, putting in the hours that most are too lazy or entitled for to help build a better union. Also, he's right about the 483 failing to support the membership. They simply wanted the deal done because parks and PBoT were already making well above the average of their professions and they had other business with the city so a brief negotiation was to leadership's benefit. None of that changes the fact Duffey was wrong to bring those poisonous fuckers into the equation. I'm sure it will surprise no one that most of his actions were motivated by petty bullshit between him and the business manager. who is admittedly a useless child.

Also a note for clarity. The wastewater group got 5%, not 9%. It's only 9% when you count the 2% COLA, which you shouldn't, and the 2% longevity pay available only to employees with 10 years service, less than 30% of our work force. That 5% was the city's original offer before negotiations and we're 19.2% behind in the region for our profession.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Gonna be a lot further behind once this lovely tactic plays out.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
lol @ settlers slapfighting over who is the PNW OG

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm sure the (insanely white) country of Cascadia will be able to meet all requirements of the current agreements with the many sovereign nations that will be within it's borders.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

George posted:

Gonna be a lot further behind once this lovely tactic plays out.

Hopefully not. FF has about 40 days left to collect the signatures they need for a deauthorization vote and they're way behind schedule. Frankly I've been impressed by how many politically conservative coworkers, who are furious with our union, totally reject the idea of working with the Freedom Foundation.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh noes, Everett lies in just the other direction!

Thats where the Bus factory is right?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jack2142 posted:

Thats where the Bus factory is right?

There's actually a transit center being built right across the street. It serves as the northern end of the Swift Green line and links Everett Transit, Community Transit, King County Metro and private shuttle bus systems.

Two Swift terminals and five regular bus terminals will be ready in a year or so with room for 13 terminals overall. I can only presume this will be integrated with ST3 when it finds its way this far north.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Is anyone seriously debating the idea of an independent Pacific Northwest as something that will happen through some kind of vote in our lifetimes?

As long as the Bangor arsenal is around, to say nothing of all the other major military bases, Washington is gonna be a part of the USA.

Starting up a fully independent Cascadia or Ecotopia or whatever is as realistic as the Salish Shidhe council running the PacNW.

George
Nov 27, 2004

It's pretty much just a fantasy for white liberals who think they can look down on the rest of the country, even though our sacred blue islands are some rotten bullshit. Seattle is segregated as gently caress and Portland is the whitest major city in America, so when those are your high points it makes Cascadia white supremacist by default.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's not gonna HAPPEN but if it ever hit the ballot and succeeded the resulting events would be, at best, a shitshow.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm all for building a more connected and bottom-up political structure in the PacNW, but the notion of true political independence is something that would require a collapse of the current order so catastrophic that I'd rather find a different way to build a better future.

I'm not a fan of trying to build a local/regional political movement on what is functionally a nationalistic platform. Replacing one brand of flag-loving with another isn't what I want.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ATP_Power posted:

Is anyone seriously debating the idea of an independent Pacific Northwest as something that will happen through some kind of vote in our lifetimes?

I thought it was a joke, but the dude tripled down pretty hard on using the threat of secession as a bargaining chip. Either way, making GBS threads on the idea that dissolution of common bonds is progressive seemed like a good use of time.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Look guys, the cascadia thing is just about getting together and circle jerking about how much better we are here in the PNW than everywhere else. It is a moral failing to live somewhere else, but don't come and try to join us you assshole transplants.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

George posted:

It's pretty much just a fantasy for white liberals who think they can look down on the rest of the country, even though our sacred blue islands are some rotten bullshit. Seattle is segregated as gently caress and Portland is the whitest major city in America, so when those are your high points it makes Cascadia white supremacist by default.

loving Ohio and Pennsylvania went for Trump.

EDIT: that said Cascadian secession really isn't an option.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

therobit posted:

Look guys, the cascadia thing is just about getting together and circle jerking about how much better we are here in the PNW than everywhere else. It is a moral failing to live somewhere else, but don't come and try to join us you assshole transplants.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If Portland's already the whitest city in the country, shouldn't it be a good thing to discourage white people from moving here?

George
Nov 27, 2004

How would Cascadia do that?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cascadia is a stupid idea that comes from the same place as any other succession movement: We are better and different. It is a weird and mastabatory idea that has no place in any serious discussion.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Cascadia is a stupid idea that comes from the same place as any other succession movement: We are better and different. It is a weird and mastabatory idea that has no place in any serious discussion.

Also, the topic of whether or not states could secede was settled in 1865.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Peachfart posted:

Please do not denigrate masturbation. It is offensive to my goon culture.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
We can secede when the US splits apart into 20 different countries

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

GodFish posted:

We can secede when the US splits apart into 20 different countries companies

There is a decent chance Nikeland and Amazonia can secede, but only if the Oligarchy begins to fail.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

I didn't know he was a transplant. That explains a lot of the ignorance.

So what I was thinking was, you could Get Out.

(and maybe move to the middle east, where you'll fit right in)

You are not special because you were born in the right state. Believe it or not all those other states are full of Non-Retards just like you who just like you have been gerrymandered to hell and aren't being fairly represented. But no gently caress every kid born in evangeli-zone, they must all be fervent Christian anti-minority white-supremacist psychopaths.

Muse me how all refugees/immigrants are welcome but not American "transplants" who loving PAID their way here by working to earn it? Now make a bunch of assumptions about my opinions on hot-button issues (and the priveledges I didn't have) based on where I'm from. Make sure to follow up with something passive aggressive that Totally Isn't a personal attack since you didn't use any Naughty Words.

Do you have any loving idea how hard it was to go from $0 in Alabama (where all the back room staff is white "because *jovial laughter* 'black people don't want to buy a tv from you'") with debt to saving and spending everything I had to put together a move?

Edit: I realize you may or may not have been %100 serious, but this is a real sentiment I have literally had directed at me unsolicited in public while like, buying cheeseburgers with the wrong license plate. Great KKK recruiting material, if that's what we're going for though.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I doubt that if I moved to Alabama and started talking about how special the culture was, how it wasn't like the rest of America, and really needed to be it's own state you'd meet that will anything but (wholly justified) derision.

As a response to your edit, the attitude people in the PNW have towards some outsiders is explicitly one of the reasons that they shouldn't be able to set immigration policies. Also, you seem really angry about the welcome you got vs the welcome you perceive refugees/immigrants to have gotten?

Also also, passive-agressiveness is an artform in the PNW.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 3, 2017

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

I doubt that if I moved to Alabama and started talking about how special the culture was, how it wasn't like the rest of America, and really needed to be it's own state you'd meet that will anything but (wholly justified) derision.

What? Who did this?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

One of the dudes talking about secession. My point with the transplant comment is there are any number of not-immediately-obvious issues that people who aren't from the area don't know about. Largely though, it was a joke. I'm sorry you felt put down by it.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GodFish posted:

We can secede when the US splits apart into 20 different countries

I want to be part of Jesusland.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

... In regards to cascadia, which triggered me like a tumblrite because it's really offensive. Like woo you're (we now, lol, since if I lied you'd never know I wasn't born here haha) so much better.

As for the immigrants/refugees thing, it's not that they're welcome that angers me, obviously we need reform of some kind; it's the hypocrisy of picking on people who carried themselves here I wanted to highlight.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

FantasticExtrusion posted:

... In regards to cascadia, which triggered me like a tumblrite because it's really offensive. Like woo you're (we now, lol, since if I lied you'd never know I wasn't born here haha) so much better.

As for the immigrants/refugees thing, it's not that they're welcome that angers me, obviously we need reform of some kind; it's the hypocrisy of picking on people who carried themselves here I wanted to highlight.

The point was the irony of somebody who wasn't from here wanting to create a new country. And can you really say 'picking on him' if he was the one who brought his dumb exclusionary idea up?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I thought the transplant hate was traditionally directed at Californians who were loving up our state en mass. I didn't realize there was any antipathy toward transplants in general.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I thought the transplant hate was traditionally directed at Californians who were loving up our state en mass. I didn't realize there was any antipathy toward transplants in general.

I don't see how you could miss it if you're in Seattle. People born in Washington are worse than vegan Crossfitters.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I don't see how you could miss it if you're in Seattle. People born in Washington are worse than vegan Crossfitters.

It's certainly not all of them, but I've been quite surprised by how provincial some people are up here.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I've tried to be more specific lately about resenting white California transplants; I think some use it as code for Mexicans.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

I've seen a transition from "gently caress California" to "gently caress all transplants" over the past 20 years or so because apparently everyone who works for Amazon is from out of town (unless you're NA, everyone is), makes too much money (just fought for $15/hour, do you want that money going back to shareholders?), isn't a serious artist (didn't know everyone was here for your entertainment) and doesn't participate civically (not even sure what this means).

And to head off the inevitable "source your quotes", most of these is endlessly repeated on the comment sections on KUOW's Facebook page.

As a classically trained musician who was born in Edmonds, the folks who are whining need to start looking at the systemic issues rather than dividing themselves from those who make slightly more than they do.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

George posted:

I've tried to be more specific lately about resenting white California transplants; I think some use it as code for Mexicans.

When it first came into use it was directed at the Californian police retirees who left California because it was too "multicultural". Overt racists as opposed to people who'd never had to decide whether they were racist or not because they only saw minorities on TV.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://youtu.be/RjSOcoDJYQg

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

That was a cool video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Muse me how all refugees/immigrants are welcome but not American "transplants" who loving PAID their way here by working to earn it?

Refugees and immigrants are way cooler than people who think like this.