Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Slice of life is good as it fleshes the characters out a lot.

Granted some games go over the top with it, but it's a necessary thing.

Not in the way XCX did it. It's like the worst dragging on Anime bit ever. Too much, far too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Taear posted:

I'm fine with the writing outside of the slice of life stuff. Well, most of it.

And I don't have a problem with other games that have all the anime trappings. It's just the way XCX does it.

Taear posted:

Not in the way XCX did it. It's like the worst dragging on Anime bit ever. Too much, far too much.

Again, that's not anime. That's just bad writing. Dragging, bad pacing, bad comedy, and bad characters are most definitely not exclusive to japanese writing nor are really endemic to anime as a whole unless you purposely dig yourself into poo poo shows.

The statements you were starting off on this discussion were, "This feels more like anime because", but that's not at all what the point of your statements are making. Your points come across as, "Guys XCX had especially bad writing", not "Guys XCX had especially anime elements in it".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ventana posted:

Again, that's not anime. That's just bad writing. Dragging, bad pacing, bad comedy, and bad characters are most definitely not exclusive to japanese writing nor are really endemic to anime as a whole unless you purposely dig yourself into poo poo shows.

The statements you were starting off on this discussion were, "This feels more like anime because", but that's not at all what the point of your statements are making. Your points come across as, "Guys XCX had especially bad writing", not "Guys XCX had especially anime elements in it".

The annoying bits were things that anime does as well. The long character introspections and the stupid food stuff. It's a stereotypically anime style of writing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bed of Chaos was the most painfully anime thing I've ever fought.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was just painful

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know how people think Phoenix Wright is anime when it is clearly set in America, USA.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Taear posted:

The annoying bits were things that anime does as well. The long character introspections and the stupid food stuff. It's a stereotypically anime style of writing.

TIL: things anime created: long character introspections and annoying food jokes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
XCX owned and now I want to play it again.

Lightsaber and Giant Mechs are just :perfect:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do you think it's Charli XCX's favorite video game and where she got her username from? Asking for a friend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taear posted:

It's a stereotypically anime style of writing.

this is a stereotypically goon style of posting

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ventana posted:

Don't bother trying to argue this point because, as several people pointed out earlier, a significant number of posters consider anime to be "things they don't like" & they aren't going to change their stance.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
What is the easiest of the Souls/Soulslike games?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Getsuya posted:

*in my games reviewer voice* kirby is the dark souls of easy games

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Getsuya posted:

Demon Souls by far.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Getsuya posted:

Personally, Demon's or Dark Souls 2 were the easiest out of the main series, though Dark Souls 2's DLC gets really hard. I had a more difficult time with Dark Souls 1&3 and Bloodborne.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Zore posted:

Demon Souls by far.

Cool I’ll go back to that then. 2 has been nothing but frustration and wasted time.

Edit: V it’s on my wishlist for when I get my PS4 (probably Black Friday)

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The actual answer is bloodborne because that game forces you to play the game the only fun way to play the others so playing it in turn makes the others easier because now you know how to play them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zore posted:

XCX owned and now I want to play it again.

Lightsaber and Giant Mechs are just :perfect:

:yeah:

I liked XCX more than XC and am not afraid to admit it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bloodborne is probably the easiest once you're past Father Gascoigne.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm gonna play XC2, but I'm going to want to be driving a giant transforming robot the whole time. Though honestly that's probably the case for most games.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Charles Get-Out posted:

Don't bother trying to argue this point because, as several people pointed out earlier, a significant number of posters consider anime to be "things they don't like" & they aren't going to change their stance.

That's fair, I thought he was willing to see the other point of view but it definitely is a stubborn perspective for sure

Infinity Gaia posted:

I still prefer most things in XC, but I'm 50 hours in XCX and I think people overblow the flaws it has. It's still pretty fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ventana posted:

I still prefer most things in XC, but I'm 50 hours in XCX and I think people overblow the flaws it has. It's still pretty fun.

The side-quests focusing on bringing alien species into New LA, and how they adapt to living with humans/other species is actually really good and there's a good 100+ hours of that to be had.

The problem we all have with the game is the main plot is an utter dumpster fire of aborted plotlines and zero actual resolution the story. And I say that having loved the hell out of XCX.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm still pissed you couldn't add those alien species to your party

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The side-quests focusing on bringing alien species into New LA, and how they adapt to living with humans/other species is actually really good and there's a good 100+ hours of that to be had.

The problem we all have with the game is the main plot is an utter dumpster fire of aborted plotlines and zero actual resolution the story. And I say that having loved the hell out of XCX.

When I read up on some of the development for XCX, they were saying things like "We wanted to substantially increase the amount of sidequests" from XC, like I think by 200%? So I'm not surprised at all that they wanted to make sidequesting more involving and rewarding.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

I have to imagine that hell is an eternity of XCX filler cutscenes and Big Bang Theory episodes on a constant loop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm still pissed you couldn't add those alien species to your party

Why have L, who contributes nothing to the story and could be excised entirely without changing anything, when we could have one of the two alien races clearly built off the standard body template that actually have some relevance to the main plot (Furry Samurai Wrothians and Prone). Or hell, even a Nopon fighter because a few joined BLADE and have existing body armor assets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The main plot sucks but the side quests are much better in general and I found the gradual gathering and devleopment of alien friends way more compelling than XCs. XCs main plot is a lot stronger though but on the other hand I found exploration in XBX among the most fun in an open world I've ever had.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The main plot sucks but the side quests are much better in general and I found the gradual gathering and devleopment of alien friends way more compelling than XCs. XCs main plot is a lot stronger though but on the other hand I found exploration in XBX among the most fun in an open world I've ever had.

I enjoyed the alien friends parts of the game and slowly building up New LA. But I found the actual world really boring in comparison to the crazy poo poo you found in XC. XC just sort of pulled me in more and the locations felt so much more alive.
Skipping shitloads of the world flying around in your mech might have a lot to do with that.

Also I hated the gear in XCX, it felt like I was keeping the same stuff for ages because of the buffs it had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

New LA really feels like a growing city after a while, because you get fun stuff like the militaristic Wrothians discovering the joy of delicious food (CAKE! :catstare:) after living on whatever met basic nutrition requirements. And there's no homogenization between races like in some Sci-Fi ("All our kind are all Warriors/Priests/Space-Vegans :manning:"), because given the chance a lot of newcomers just want to go try new things or get a decent job. The only bad part for me is the Ma-Non ship kinda becomes The Alien Ghetto rather than having the new races all fully move into the city proper. There's no story reason for them not being welcome into the city as residents, they all just go live in the alien ship when they're not wandering the shopping district or visiting friends in the suburbs. I think it would've been nice to see the city actually expand with a mix of human houses and alien dwellings side-by-side down the streets over time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why have L, who contributes nothing to the story and could be excised entirely without changing anything, when we could have one of the two alien races clearly built off the standard body template that actually have some relevance to the main plot (Furry Samurai Wrothians and Prone). Or hell, even a Nopon fighter because a few joined BLADE and have existing body armor assets.

Don't forget the magical girl alien

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
demon's souls has a lot more cool oddities to its design than the other games and more interesting design in general than ds2, while being ridiculously easy to break because you can get tons of healing items and once you get a decent weapon like hiltless you just start carving through everything. more bosses designed around being weird little puzzles than actual tests of skill, too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

I didn't mind Celica by comparison to L, because at least she and Rock actually had a story about fitting in in New LA. L doesn't even have that beyond some basic sidequesting to open a store.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Looper posted:

The end of XCX is the dumbest thing. It answers the question of "How did we know loads of aliens were going to blow up earth" and then poses about ten new questions.

L is the strangest addition since he's the only one of his kind and the only one that seems to be included in the story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

it felt like I was keeping the same stuff for ages because of the buffs it had.

Because you were. Stat boosts on armor didn't seem to make nearly as much difference as some decent boosts, plus you had all the different damage types to contend with unless you were always using skells (why wouldn't you?) in which case you just buy the latest and greatest skell gear for your character to boost their mech stats while murdering your way through the game in an Amdusias.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because you were. Stat boosts on armor didn't seem to make nearly as much difference as some decent boosts, plus you had all the different damage types to contend with unless you were always using skells (why wouldn't you?) in which case you just buy the latest and greatest skell gear for your character to boost their mech stats while murdering your way through the game in an Amdusias.

Yes, it was really boring and kind of a shame.
The skells themselves were boring too, I feel like there was much more made for them that must have gotten dropped. It's almost like two games put together in loads and loads of ways.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Getsuya posted:

Demons Souls as a magic user is the easiest the Souls games can get.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, there's just so much squandered potential there. You get like 20 human party members, most of them boring, and it really clashes with your side-quest experience of trying to bring several species together to coexist. It'd be great to lead a team with you, a Wrothian, a Prone, and a Ma-Non, with post-battle arguments about ranking the tastiness of cake, ice cream cake, and pizza.

e: adding to this I would have also liked for the strongest builds to be based around building a strong team with different species instead of turning into an army of one with overdrive abuse

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 3, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

In my experience the gear problem mostly related to arms and head. You should be changing your legs and torso armor every tier because the defensive increases are substantial and the boosts on those pieces of gear don't tend to be as essential as the ones on arms. You should also obviously be switching weapons to a new tier whenever possible.

Also on-foot combat is actually MORE powerful than Skells... Eventually. It's also a lot more interestingly developed. A lot of people just end up falling into the Ghost Dance combo which is pretty basic but it's kind of fun to see just how many builds are actually super strong in that game. If it wasn't for Skells that game would actually be a pretty drat tightly balanced experience. It's a shame barely anyone actually explores Cauldros on foot, it's a lot of fun and a really interesting exploration challenge to do so.

Edit: While I also agree it is disappointing, I can understand why we didn't get alien party members since they'd likely need completely different looking gear and that seems like it'd take a lot of effort. Even Wrothians would need gear that allows for tail/ear slots and such.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

bloodborne is the easiest if you just pick the axe and ram your strength as high as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also on-foot combat is actually MORE powerful than Skells... Eventually. It's also a lot more interestingly developed. A lot of people just end up falling into the Ghost Dance combo which is pretty basic but it's kind of fun to see just how many builds are actually super strong in that game. If it wasn't for Skells that game would actually be a pretty drat tightly balanced experience. It's a shame barely anyone actually explores Cauldros on foot, it's a lot of fun and a really interesting exploration challenge to do so.

Edit: While I also agree it is disappointing, I can understand why we didn't get alien party members since they'd likely need completely different looking gear and that seems like it'd take a lot of effort. Even Wrothians would need gear that allows for tail/ear slots and such.

To do that though is a LOT of faffing about. While I'm glad it's possible to do what people did with the builds I very much doubt it was anything beyond 5% of the playerbase doing that stuff.

Stuff like no models for armour for aliens is part of what I meant about lots of stuff feeling a bit half finished. Surely they had more plans for what happened?