Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CommieGIR posted:

I miss my physical keyboard Android phone :(

we had a former blackberry user who insisted on getting the droid pro and I do not envy the circle of hell he cast himself in to for 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

google is solving that by adding more layers in oreo
he'll yes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CommieGIR posted:

I miss my physical keyboard Android phone :(

samsung makes an overlay keyboard that works pretty well

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s8-keyboard-cover--black-ej-cg950bbegww/

it has a little doohickey to indicate to the phone that it is applied, and the os switches to a soft keyboard made specifically for the overlay

the overlay has precisely located capacitative contacts to touch the soft keyboard on the screen. blammo, hardware keyboard on a modern phone.

and it's removable so you don't lose screen space when you don't need it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao, that is android as gently caress

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s8-keyboard-cover--black-ej-cg950bbegww/

it has a little doohickey to indicate to the phone that it is applied, and the os switches to a soft keyboard made specifically for the overlay

the overlay has precisely located capacitative contacts to touch the soft keyboard on the screen. blammo, hardware keyboard on a modern phone.

Has some major showstoppers
By codeman2

on April 24, 2017
Cons: Did not meet expectations, Poor quality, no backlight, can't use samsung pay with the keyboard, just doesn't feel smooth
There is no backlight so typing at night is not an option.
Does not work with Samsung pay. You need to remove the keyboard in order to use Samsung pay. Switching back and forth can be annoying. It also doesn't feel like an solid snapping mechanism.
The buttons don't work that well. I find it more cumbersome then helpful. I feel like it causes the phone to lag.
I had high hopes for this. I really wanted it to work. The S8 plus would have been perfect as it has the larger screen (height). You don't really compromised on real estate on day in and day out usage. Unfortunately these issues make me not want to use it. They were so close to completely dominating the Blackberry.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
[quote="“Hugh G. Rectum”" post="“476993655”"]
They were so close to completely dominating the Blackberry.
[/quote]

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in which samsung fails to dominate a company that no longer makes phones

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

i'm the company that, with a valuation over 1 billion american dollars, put a fan in a telephone's camera.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i'm the company that, with a valuation over 1 billion american dollars, put a fan in a telephone's camera.

no one went "really guys" ?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

why is android so slow? that's just a 7 too, not even an 8 or X.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
iphone 6s and 6 beat the google pixel in that benchmark lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ars will probably make more money from ads on their review of that phone than the phone will ever make

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm uh the (-) coinslot? icon

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

because qualcomm and (to a lesser extent) samsung are loving trash

like samsung is inventing their own garbage poo poo and fast eMMC or whatever for their high-end phones. apple just uses PCIe and NVMe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

because qualcomm and (to a lesser extent) samsung are loving trash

like samsung is inventing their own garbage poo poo and fast eMMC or whatever for their high-end phones. apple just uses PCIe and NVMe

emmc is garbage and Apple never used it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

emmc is garbage and Apple never used it.

yes that's what i said

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when the local grognards were clamouring to buy a $100 windows tablet that used emmc for storage?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Endless Mike posted:

all the weird notch examples from that article (not just this one) are amazing

that icon is the indicator for when "do not disturb" mode is on tho

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

remember when the local grognards were clamouring to buy a $100 windows tablet that used emmc for storage?

the gen u ine sandiscks 128gb sd card I got for a steal on ebay is as solid state as any ssd, and much c heaper!

furthermor

hang on need to reboot again, dang thing says out of space when there's nothing but the windows install

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my younger brother (not the android loving sperg) has a tendency to ruin his electronics by being non-careful. As such his laptop and phone needs to be cheap crap and his laptop has emmc storage. It is really bad, but cheap to replace when it gets rekted.

what i'm getting at is: emmc is bad

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

my younger brother (not the android loving sperg) has a tendency to ruin his electronics by being non-careful. As such his laptop and phone needs to be cheap crap and his laptop has emmc storage. It is really bad, but cheap to replace when it gets rekted.

what i'm getting at is: emmc is bad

get him a thinkpad T410/T420/X201/X220 with an SSD and he may find it much more difficult to destroy

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Endless Mike posted:

Find yourself going the wrong way down a lot of one way streets do you?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Officer I was just trying to feed the big meter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

while the question may still be relevant *that* data point is pretty crappy, safari is way faster than chrome on octane on the same hardware, and it is not too obvious that octane is useful for real-world comparisons anymore

EL BROMANCE posted:

android shutter lag is hilarious. I saw some kid taking photos non stop at a gig a few years ago and the lag on his branded phone was a good 4 seconds. every single photo looked like complete poo poo.

this is mostly because there is a global broadcast for a new photo being taken (e.g. to wake up dropbox to upload it), and every lovely app in the universe pointlessly registers itself for that broadcast, so it is spending those 4 seconds trying to swap in three dozen apps simultaneously (*actually* simultaneously, it does not afaik account for e.g. all apps not even fitting in memory at once). oreo will actually likely help this a bit, since they are finally coming around and killing off that functionality

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why doesn't it do that *after* taking the picture?

also, in the latest 'what niche haven't we filled?' news, lg is releasing a mosquito-repellent phone

quote:

However, the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA) and other groups say it won't work. Texas A&M University entomology professor Dr. Roger Gold spent years running studies that have debunked ultrasonic bug repellant as well. According to the AMCA: "At least 10 studies in the past 15 years have unanimously denounced ultrasonic devices as having no repellency value whatsoever."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-is-releasing-a-mosquito-repellent-phone-but-it-probably-wont-work/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is mostly because there is a global broadcast for a new photo being taken (e.g. to wake up dropbox to upload it), and every lovely app in the universe pointlessly registers itself for that broadcast, so it is spending those 4 seconds trying to swap in three dozen apps simultaneously (*actually* simultaneously, it does not afaik account for e.g. all apps not even fitting in memory at once). oreo will actually likely help this a bit, since they are finally coming around and killing off that functionality

wow I presumed it had gotten somewhat better in the last few years (my wife's Samsung thing doesn't suffer it, but this was an htc or something similar). it's good to know there's still phones on the market that can't take a photo properly tho.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
My z3c didn't have shutter lag and neither does my op5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

did you show your moobs to get a one plus

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

android shutter lag is hilarious. I saw some kid taking photos non stop at a gig a few years ago and the lag on his branded phone was a good 4 seconds. every single photo looked like complete poo poo.

tbf virtually every gig phone photo looks like complete poo poo

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it also has a rating of two stars, on their own website

why can't you use samsung pay with it? is the nfc thing at the bottom of the phone so you have to gingerly hold it by the top edge every time you want to make a contactless purchase? or is it like an online apple pay thing where the box comes up at the bottom of the screen? not that you even have to touch the box (fans self) on iphone

also why does sarnsung have their own mobile payments thing

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 3, 2017

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

did you show your moobs to get a one plus

amazon.in doesn't accept nude pics sadly

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
[quote="“Notorious b.s.d.”" post="“476988434”"]

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/galaxy-s8-keyboard-cover%97black-ej-cg950bbegww/

and it’s removable so you don’t lose screen space when you don’t need it
[/quote]

rofl so instead of doing a clamshell case so you can have a keyboard with wider buttons and a case that will protect the screen while it's closed, they make a keyboard that snaps on the phone in portrait and needs to be removed after you use it

yeah that's pretty android

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

rofl so instead of doing a clamshell case so you can have a keyboard with wider buttons and a case that will protect the screen while it's closed, they make a keyboard that snaps on the phone in portrait and needs to be removed after you use it

yeah that's pretty android

gone are the days of samsung making GBS threads out 1000 interchangeable phones that all suck slightly differently

now they make like two phones a year that suck in new and innovative ways

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

gone are the days of samsung making GBS threads out 1000 interchangeable phones that all suck slightly differently

now they make like two phones a year that suck in new and innovative ways

um... http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

welp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

why are there so loving many

why

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao, i was scrolling down and was like "drat that's a lot of phones"

and then i got to the paginator and saw i was on page 1 of 14 :hurr:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
There's the Galaxy a and j series in India which are complete loving garbage, but because they have the Galaxy moniker people buy them because they're idiots.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That poo poo is so bad they have an ad on Indian tv where they proudly tell you they'll replace your screen for free* the first time it breaks

*If you buy their replacement plan

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Also the rear end in a top hat in the ad who helps break the other dudes screen is the smuggest motherfucker on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Generic Monk posted:

tbf virtually every gig phone photo looks like complete poo poo

Sure, but this guy was at the stage front in a venue that actually has decent enough lighting for a 600 cap or whatever it is. Most peoples photos in the same situation would be nothing special, his weren't even of the things he was trying to take pictures of because they'd have moved in the time it took. I saw him take maybe 200 photos. Literally non stop for an hour. It was more entertaining than the band.