Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horchata
Oct 17, 2010
can anyone help me out with the last cache quest(I think)? I gave the dude all 5 coins and I don't know where to start looking with the hint he gave me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waltzing Along posted:

The "relationship" stuff is the worst part of the game.

Main / ex wife
Main / Lara
Coach / Laras Coach

All bad.
Coach / Lara's Coach is great because Coach is a washed up old gently caress, hopefully they don't run that one into the ground

and Main/Lara is tsundere as gently caress and I want her to just like, beat him up already and get it over with

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

horchata posted:

can anyone help me out with the last cache quest(I think)? I gave the dude all 5 coins and I don't know where to start looking with the hint he gave me

Check the overworld

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I'm just casually destroying all the snow men I can find thinking I'll get some special reward when the truth is I'm just a heartless jerk ruining Christmas. This game is so much fun

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Haha the loving vinegar goes into the bookshelf gently caress this game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, that whole section was obtuse.

imnotinsane posted:

I'm just casually destroying all the snow men I can find thinking I'll get some special reward when the truth is I'm just a heartless jerk ruining Christmas. This game is so much fun

Just made it there, too. Looks like we are getting close to the end game.

Only thing I haven't been able to do is the long drive to the island at bermuda. I can get it there on a bounce, but it goes in the water. I just got a new club so maybe that will help.

Also, the red bandana thing is dum.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wait so there are three Aqua Golf prizes, one for hitting the walls with Lara, one for sinking all the holes with target flags on them, what's the third for?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man...snow course is easy. -8 on my first try. WTF.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
This game was suprisingly fun. The core golf game play worked well, and the "story mode" had its moment.

Minus:
  • 4-5 second loading time between each screen
  • obtuse fetch quests (beach level), having to literally press A against every object to progress (mansion party, eventually finding golf balls)
  • slightly overstayed its welcome
  • probably stupid, but took me until last course to understand how putting worked. I figured it was possible to look at the grass to understand how the greens sloped, which I couldn't understand, so I just perfected chipping directly into the hole or within like 5 feet. Then I realized putting was affected by the wind as well, and only the wind. :downs:

Still, great game. Finished it in a few days which is very rare for me.

MW fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wait so there are three Aqua Golf prizes, one for hitting the walls with Lara, one for sinking all the holes with target flags on them, what's the third for?

Hole in one. The hole on the island.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Cheeto posted:

I discovered that completely by accident, for some reason I thought you were supposed to give it to the front desk lady and when that didn't work I just started double checking stuff and the bookshelf was the first thing I tried.

I actually really liked that section, besides the rap battle. It was funny at first, but went too long.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I just love that putting the vinegar in the cabinet is literally the player admitting he has no idea what he's doing, and Lara taking notice and actually solving the puzzle. I love this game but that sequence is so, so bad.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I was trying to find the cache key on Hallowed Manor, and somehow ran behind a rock on an island. I can't get out from behind it, and this sucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

I just love that putting the vinegar in the cabinet is literally the player admitting he has no idea what he's doing, and Lara taking notice and actually solving the puzzle. I love this game but that sequence is so, so bad.

Yeah it is. Especially because by that point I knew what I needed to do, it just wouldn't let me. The bell was dumb, too. I spent a while running around because you have to click them in the correct order. Since I did it out of order I didn't go reclick for quite some time.

Just a really badly set of "puzzles."

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MW posted:

probably stupid, but took me until last course to understand how putting worked. I figured it was possible to look at the grass to understand how the greens sloped, which I couldn't understand, so I just perfected chipping directly into the hole or within like 5 feet. Then I realized putting was affected by the wind as well, and only the wind. :downs:

what? isn't putting just affected by the slope arrow directly underneath the wind arrow?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

what? isn't putting just affected by the slope arrow directly underneath the wind arrow?

I was just going to say this.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Haha the montage where the groundkeeper is mowing the course with more and more absurd methods was amazing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress Blue Dunes.

Was at -3 on the last hole. Perfect T poo poo over the water. Bounce. Hits tree. Bounces back into water. Next shot I have to be aggressive because I can only get an 8 or lower to win. In the water. Now I'm at 5. Just turned the fucker off at 8 shots in the rough.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Has anyone experienced any locks in this game? I've had two so far, once when going through a conversation and one when trying to throw a disc. Quite annoying.

EDIT: going through the thread seems to suggest that yeah, I'm not the only one to get softlocking.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 4, 2017

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I kept thinking "I'll come across a red bandanna eventually" but now I've beaten the game and that is the only unfinished business I have. Where the hell is the red bandanna? I thought I would come across the guys in front of the mini golf at some point in the game and take theirs but nope.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wellworn. Next to mom and kid. Hit flag hard

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Has anyone experienced any locks in this game? I've had two so far, once when going through a conversation and one when trying to throw a disc. Quite annoying.

EDIT: going through the thread seems to suggest that yeah, I'm not the only one to get softlocking.

Yes. I had one soft-lock when I first booted up galf (assuming I wasn't just missing something but I hit every button and didn't see a response) and it also soft-locked on me when I went to that one lady's office while she was still out. I talked to the secretary and then after the conversation I couldn't move or open any menus.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

golf story is great but why are there shirtless dudes in bandannas all over the place in a golf game?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

golf story is great but why are there shirtless dudes in bandannas all over the place in a golf game?

Pssh, I bet you think there's something wrong with pelting slow golfers with golf balls too. Go back to your country club!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I had a soft lock when I got the guy in the Disc Golf course the red bandanna. I handed it to him and the dialogue just stopped. The trees kept moving but I could not control my character or bring up the menu screen.

One of the most common bugs I encounter are when the camera fucks up or does not reset. I also get a lot of aiming controls to seeming stop working or even weirder, reverse.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, I can't imagine this game will be able to top having a golf battle with an actual wizard for ownership of his haunted golf course

Unmature
May 9, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Welp, I can't imagine this game will be able to top having a golf battle with an actual wizard for ownership of his haunted golf course

I just did this too, how close to the end am I?

Also, once you finish the story are there more quests? And will I get to finish side quests or will I miss them permanently if I didn't do them before the credits roll?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

EpicNemesis posted:

I kept thinking "I'll come across a red bandanna eventually" but now I've beaten the game and that is the only unfinished business I have. Where the hell is the red bandanna? I thought I would come across the guys in front of the mini golf at some point in the game and take theirs but nope.

There's a flag in the 1st area that looks different from the others. Inspect it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Am I misremembering or did the guy at the pro club ask for 8 scorecards? Cuz I only gave him 2. Coulda sworn he said 8 and I rolled my eyes at that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Waltzing Along posted:

Am I misremembering or did the guy at the pro club ask for 8 scorecards? Cuz I only gave him 2. Coulda sworn he said 8 and I rolled my eyes at that.

You do five as part of the main quest, and the sixth is the rematch with the old dude at Tidy Park. "THIS IS YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!" and Blue Moon with Junior are just the last two.

e: If you open the menu and go to the Story tab it'll tell you what's what.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Autonomous Monster posted:

You do five as part of the main quest, and the sixth is the rematch with the old dude at Tidy Park. "THIS IS YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!" and Blue Moon with Junior are just the last two.

e: If you open the menu and go to the Story tab it'll tell you what's what.

I was wondering if that is what it was. Still dumb to be like, bring me 8 cards when you already have most of them. Whatever.

9th hole on Pro Course is fuuuuuuuuucked up and unfair. There's a difference between difficult and unfair and that one is just unfair. 900 yards in 6 shots with bunkers and water everywhere? Yeah, thanks. Three times now I've gotten to that hole with a chance to win and had everything go to poo poo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And of course after I post that I get ideal conditions and destroy the course. -8 going into the final hole and made par. Game over. Didn't finish the drone challenge, though. Don't see the point.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I just now got to Tidy Park, and it feels like the game still has a whiiile to go.

Kinda love that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Coldwind Wastes is a goddamn joke

Also Max Yards can get fuuuucked

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just did the nine holes of cheekybeak peak and it really did a good job at hammering home how unpolished this game is-- like i think most of the course was sloped in some way but it doesn't really show, so where it looks like you're golfing down a straight away the cursor keeps flying all over the place because of all the different elevations

this game is weird

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kaubocks posted:

just did the nine holes of cheekybeak peak and it really did a good job at hammering home how unpolished this game is-- like i think most of the course was sloped in some way but it doesn't really show, so where it looks like you're golfing down a straight away the cursor keeps flying all over the place because of all the different elevations

this game is weird

The courses are more-or-less flat, I think maybe the cursor was moving like that because the paths would end up hitting trees that you couldn't see because the camera is not very good.

e: I don't mean to say this game isn't janky and unpolished, because it is

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 5, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

The courses are more-or-less flat, I think maybe the cursor was moving like that because the paths would end up hitting trees that you couldn't see because the camera is not very good.

it's possible, but i recall a hole where if i golfed one way the ball would barely go anywhere but if i angled it slightly more to the side it would go way further

but yea it's possible that maybe i was like kinda near a tree but just far enough away that i didn't think anything of it and angling the shot one way would clip me slightly through the branches or some poo poo

stand by my statement that this is a weird, unpolished game

gonna stick with it though

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You can tell if cursor is going through foliage if it's transparent, and it does make a huge difference on the distance it'll go.

Game is still buggy as hell. Just moving the camera around anywhere is enough to see graphical glitches. This has got to be the buggiest game that is still worth playing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have the devs said anything about updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Coldwind Wastes is a goddamn joke

Also Max Yards can get fuuuucked

Just wait till you get to Blue Dunes.