Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Likely a hand grenade wouldn't have enough force to set off the secondary explosive in the mine after the primary detonator has been removed.

Booby-trapping mines has been done since the invention of the explosive mine, and isn't exclusive to IEDs. Most mines have built in booby traps in the form of an optional secondary detonator on the side or bottom which can detonate the mine if it's moved even if the primary detonator is removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
That seems like a bad idea, wouldn't you want them to be fairly easy to safely remove if you know where they are, just slow? You want to be able to use that land eventually, presumably...

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Keiya posted:

That seems like a bad idea, wouldn't you want them to be fairly easy to safely remove if you know where they are, just slow? You want to be able to use that land eventually, presumably...

Yeah, that's the thing that makes landmines so terrible, as in horrific. You put them down in foreign territory during a conflict, and once the conflict is over you go home. You don't take the landmines with you. You also don't leave a map of where you put them.

Then they get found by farmers, kids playing soccer, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keiya posted:

Not everyone who places mines is ethical or intends to use them exclusively against military targets.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

War is hell.

The biggest scandal is that the three largest military forces in the world refused to sign the Ottawa Treaty.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

oohhboy posted:

At the start yes but responsibilities would expand to the actual sensor hardware so it's not sitting on your rear end from a remote location. It will be vastly travelling to do on-site, on-call.

I figure as much. The company already has big contracts online so they are looking to expand locally and would be paying for airfare etc to get me up to speed. They seem to be a stable company however I don't know the name (Research is out for now) due to me being introduced by a trusted acquaintance on my behalf. So if they like his recommendation I am in as I have effectively done an interview with him by working out his IT problems and have shown I am not some goonlord who can't put two sentences together without making GBS threads myself.

I can also talk to the parent company overseas in their language as a bonus.

There seems to be space to move to team leader and beyond. I have demonstrated leadership skills as President of a club and continue to develop them so the opportunities are there. I have naturally moved up whenever there is space to do something like this so I am not going to sweat this.

I will be asking for more than minimum though as it is a joke here and even a half rear end CJ would be earning more than that if they aren't some call centre jockey. I do freelance residential CJ on the side which gets me $50-$100 an hour but that is not exactly what you call steady income so I treat it as a bonus if I get a job than some viable business or career path not that I haven't done some promotion. If I high ball the number too much I can always blame the internet for giving such wild numbers which is 100% the truth and work my way down from there.

It like everything else isn't guaranteed but it doesn't hurt to do some ground work before hand. Its best practice as long I don't get my hopes up and just let it play out.

Thanks alot guys, if you have anything to add please do.
Oh you're the one biting the hook.

The pay is going to be poo poo compared to normal computer janitor work either cause of the travel (if it's long distance all the time) or because the labor market you're competing in is guys who run cables through conduits and also know computers good. If it's regular long distance travel you get travel perks which can add up. But the job market is flooded with associate degreed computer sciences guys with electrician related backgrounds, and it's starting to get silly flooded with bachelor degrees with the same.

If it's not unionized there's some fat to negotiate with but it's probably going to be in the form of seniority credit because a line job is usually what it is and there's a dozen more of you waiting in line behind.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Make sure you wear at least a four piece suit to work as a glorified computer janitor. For the face.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Sagebrush posted:

If he chocked the rear wheels, that's probably safer than getting under a car supported by only the jack, at least.

I'm sure he didn't chock the rear wheels.

Our local Auto Zone is next door to a restaurant we frequent, and I get a kick out of the fact that usually there's at least one guy changing out an alternator, or replacing a radiator hose right there in the parking lot. Every single parking space near the door has a huge oil stain.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

Oh you're the one biting the hook.

The pay is going to be poo poo compared to normal computer janitor work either cause of the travel (if it's long distance all the time) or because the labor market you're competing in is guys who run cables through conduits and also know computers good. If it's regular long distance travel you get travel perks which can add up. But the job market is flooded with associate degreed computer sciences guys with electrician related backgrounds, and it's starting to get silly flooded with bachelor degrees with the same.

If it's not unionized there's some fat to negotiate with but it's probably going to be in the form of seniority credit because a line job is usually what it is and there's a dozen more of you waiting in line behind.

As I said, I am not going to get my hopes up and let things shake out. I haven't committed to anything so I can continue with my life if it is a bad deal. At the minimum it's more stimulating than retail or whatever.

Funny enough I know a guy who is a MS certified etc who can't find a job in the field so that isn't too different from US, but then I don't smoke, have a pot belly big enough to be a jumping castle or stink up the room with BO or speak in 3 word sentences. The job market sucks wherever and whatever, certifications mean nothing, the people hiring are out of their minds, people get underpaid near universally and personal contacts are worth more than gold.

If something happens good or bad I will post it so there is another thing to throw on to the pile for the next person. Maybe I will have OSHA stories to bring back if it works out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Keiya posted:

Not in WW2 style Total war or insurgency or rebellion situations, no. You're laying them to do the most possible damage to the enemy (or it's civilian support) with the least possible amount of time or risk to your own forces.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dobbymoodge posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that makes landmines so terrible, as in horrific. You put them down in foreign territory during a conflict, and once the conflict is over you go home. You don't take the landmines with you. You also don't leave a map of where you put them.

Then they get found by farmers, kids playing soccer, etc.

Also they migrate due to erosion and gravity!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This new Transformer concept could use some work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Latest Transformers movie looking good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That's a crappier disguise than the cartoons would've led me to believe.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

New electric car looking good

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

More than meets the SPLAT

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Attempts at a space saving "foldable electric car" not yet successful. Seems the generator gets in the way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wasabi the J posted:

That's a crappier disguise than the cartoons would've led me to believe.

This seems like the best disguise for an autobot.

Of course a brand new Charger in competition yellow is going to stand out anywhere. Bumblebee hide as some shitheap with a transformer stoving in the roof, Megatron walk right by that and not notice poo poo.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Car runs but AC doesn't work.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

"Some electrical problems"

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
So now it's technically a hybrid?

jetz0r posted:

"Some electrical problems"

Yeah, for the neighbors.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bio-Hazard posted:

So now it's technically a hybrid?

Almost all cars are hybrids. You start with an electric motor, then the gasoline one kicks in.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Maxwells Demon posted:

Car runs but AC doesn't work.

Wye hasn't this gotten more love

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

shame on an IGA posted:

Wye hasn't this gotten more love

Current events are lost on this thread.
Stupid millennials don't get electricity jokes. It's a sine of the times.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Current events are lost on this thread.
Stupid millennials don't get electricity jokes. It's a sine of the times.

You can't blame them, baby boomers haven't inducted the capacitance to appreciate the humor.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bozart posted:

You can't blame them, baby boomers haven't inducted the capacitance to appreciate the humor.

There's been a certain resistance to it.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Please don't be like reddit's comment section.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FalloutGod posted:

Negative comments are an integral part of the cycle.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Platystemon posted:

That's a positive outlook to have.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Yawgmoth posted:

That's a positive outlook to have.

I'm sure we can find a common ground.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

FalloutGod posted:

A contrarian, how shocking :rolleyes:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The current state of this thread is revolting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Let's not transform this into a running pun thread.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This story arc is too ionized to stop now

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We're going to need a Jacob's ladder to get over this.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FalloutGod posted:

SA had terrible pun chains long before reddit was a single unfortunate thought in the back of its creator's head.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

SA had terrible pun chains long before reddit was a single unfortunate thought spark in the back of its creator's head.