Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

And again many states give the poor extra tags for exactly the above. It's a cheap effective subsidy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/915245545572233224

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A deer might have three hundred or so dollars' worth of meat on it, all told. Kill three or four deer you might have a year's supply of organic, grass-fed, etc. meat.

Then, If you live in the middle of nowheresville and you've been going hunting for thirty years you already have all the infrastructure and training in place, so the additional costs are minimal, but the store is a gas station an hour's drive away that mostly just sells pre-processed prepackaged gunk.
No I don't think you understand. Poor people need to move to where I live and only eat rice because ~*fartz*~

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

captainblastum posted:

Maybe I phrased it poorly, but those don't really seem to address the point that I was trying to make: that I don't believe the claims that people must hunt to survive anywhere in America. There are other, more cost effective choices for getting food.

There's an entire program within the Dept of Interior for managing subsistence hunting among native Alaskans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BrandorKP posted:

And again many states give the poor extra tags for exactly the above. It's a cheap effective subsidy

Here they have a program where they give out unsold tags towards the end of the season provided you're willing to donate the meat to the food bank.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The conundrum: Donald Trump deserves to die immediately, but also to suffer as much as possible. I don't know what kind of disease to wish for.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No I don't think you understand. Poor people need to move to where I live and only eat rice because ~*fartz*~

Yes, this is precisely my argument and not an idiotic strawman.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The headline of that article is insanely bad in the sense that it already makes immediately obvious the knavery of this vote, but leaves it somewhat unfulfilled. Here, let me flesh it out:

quote:

The US is one of just 13 countries to have voted against a United Nations resolution condemning the death penalty for having gay sex.

Although the vote passed, America joined countries such as China, Iraq and Saudi Arabia in opposing the move.

The Human Rights Council resolution condemned the “imposition of the death penalty as a sanction for specific forms of conduct, such as apostasy, blasphemy, adultery and consensual same-sex relations”.

It attacked the use of execution against persons with “mental or intellectual disabilities, persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, and pregnant women”.

It also expressed “serious concern that the application of the death penalty for adultery is disproportionately imposed on women”.

The US supported two failed amendments put forward by Russia, which stated the death penalty was not necessarily “a human rights violation” and that it is not a form of torture, but can lead to it “in some cases”.

And it abstained on a “sovereignty amendment” put forward by Saudi Arabia, that stated “the right of all countries to develop their own laws and penalties”.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Voyager I posted:

The conundrum: Donald Trump deserves to die immediately, but also to suffer as much as possible. I don't know what kind of disease to wish for.

Something he already likely has.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

captainblastum posted:

Maybe I phrased it poorly, but those don't really seem to address the point that I was trying to make: that I don't believe the claims that people must hunt to survive anywhere in America. There are other, more cost effective choices for getting food.
Why would you think maintaining a piece of land, raising/feeding/whatevering cows would be cheaper than going outside finding a deer that literally no human has put any effort into and shooting it? At the very least you need to account for the profit motive of the rancher. The rancher is going to benefit from economies of scale, but the hunter is going to benefit from requiring literally zero infrastructure and having marginal costs of a couple bullets.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

captainblastum posted:

Yes, this is precisely my argument and not an idiotic strawman.
Why doesn't the scum just Uber to the Whole Foods? I don't understand.

No your argument, if you can call simply vomiting bourgeois ignorance into the internet an argument, was "I know absolutely nothing about hunting but let me tell you about hunting. "

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

captainblastum posted:

the states where someone might hunt for food are also the states that laugh at the idea of providing food for the poor

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Suicide is, generally speaking, not a reasoned decision but an impulse. There are certainly people who have made a conscious, reasoned decision to end their life, and you're probably not going to stop those people. But that's not most suicides. Most suicides are, basically, a desperate response to terrible pain (emotional, mostly). Those people don't really want to die, they want the pain to go away. They have to work themselves up to it. If they use a reversible method, or one that doesn't kill right away, frequently they change their mind. So that's basically the key: with guns, once you pull the trigger it's all over (unless you somehow miss anything vital, which does happen). No chance to reconsider, and one second of impulse is all it takes to complete the act. Some percentage, if all they had was a knife or pills, would reconsider halfway through and bind their wounds/vomit/call 911, and so you'd have a lower rate of completed suicides.

It would not end suicide as a phenomenon but it would reduce it. Yes, some people will manage to kill themselves when all they have is a bucket of water. Most won't.

Anecdotal, but everyone I know that has tried to kill themselves and has a had a handgun has done it. Two in the last year.

I was suicidal when younger, and the impulse still exists every blue moon, and I have a no handgun in the house rule for that reason. A lot of time, it's a sudden wave of depression impulse that you try to make due with whatever is around at the time, but you still have a natural aversion to pain so you go for something easy and relatively painless. Pills failed with me, as they have with other friends, I didn't do the wrist right because I was too young, and I have friends where hanging failed as well, among other things. Guns are the easiest way to kill oneself, while other ways are a lot harder an have more of a likelihood of just extremely screwing up your body, making things worse, and are extremely painful. Of these, hanguns and shotguns are the easiest, while rifles are kind of hard with a higher rate of failure which is why I don't mind owning one at this point (and I keep the magazine in a much different place than my gun).

The amount of finality and ease that handguns give suicide is ridiculous. It's definitely a factor in any gun control debate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darko posted:

The amount of finality and ease that handguns give suicide is ridiculous. It's definitely a factor in any gun control debate.

The US' suicide rate is on par with the rest of the English speaking first world, most of which has much tighter gun controls.

US: 13.2 / 100k in 2015
UK: 10.9 /100k in 2015
Aus: 12.6 / 100k in 2015
CAN: 11.5 / 100k in 2015

There's no American exceptionalism at work here. The better predictor is economic uncertainty and austerity.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

The US' suicide rate is on par with the rest of the English speaking first world, most of which has much tighter gun controls.

US: 13.2 / 100k in 2015
UK: 10.9 /100k in 2015
Aus: 12.6 / 100k in 2015
CAN: 11.5 / 100k in 2015

There's no American exceptionalism at work here. The better predictor is economic uncertainty and austerity.

America is the highest there though.

There could be a lot of other factors accounting for this discrepency, where the chart of successfullness of suicide methods is pretty simple to understand. And this is only one of many good reasons to get rid of guns.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

twodot posted:

Why would you think maintaining a piece of land, raising/feeding/whatevering cows would be cheaper than going outside finding a deer that literally no human has put any effort into and shooting it? At the very least you need to account for the profit motive of the rancher. The rancher is going to benefit from economies of scale, but the hunter is going to benefit from requiring literally zero infrastructure and having marginal costs of a couple bullets.

Hunting isn't free. You're just ignoring all of the costs.

evilweasel posted:

the states where someone might hunt for food are also the states that laugh at the idea of providing food for the poor

I don't disagree but that doesn't make hunting cheaper than buying food.

To be clear, I'm not in any way saying that people shouldn't be able to hunt, but "I want to do this" and "I must do this or I will starve to death" are very different things. "People need to hunt to live" is not a truthful reason to oppose gun control.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hunting on public land is a subsidiary I'm ok with if it actually is used for food.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inescapable Duck posted:

Heaven help people live in places other than those you approve them living in.
Heaven's going to have to help, since the government sure as poo poo isn't.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

America is the highest there though.

There could be a lot of other factors accounting for this discrepency, where the chart of successfullness of suicide methods is pretty simple to understand. And this is only one of many good reasons to get rid of guns.

Reducing easy access to a popular, easy suicide method in South Korea significantly reduced overall suicides almost immediately, as an example of how effective it can be

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-korea-suicide-idUSBRE98T05R20130930

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VitalSigns posted:

I used to think this. I grew up in a Republican family and even after I realized conservatism is a bullshit intellectually bankrupt ideology that doesn't work, but for complex and difficult reasons that are easily papered over by simplistic common-sense-sounding salesmanship and folksy aw shucks "people like us" propaganda, I still thought Republican voters were basically good and decent people who just had some different opinions and some mistaken ideas and on many subjects were just confused by relentless corporate propaganda.

But then the Republican party dropped every pretense of empathy and became openly delightfully deliriously monstrous and all those people didn't just stick with it but even more exuberantly celebrated Republicanism for finally embracing their true values, and I realized that no nearly every Republican voter is just driven by spite and fear and unwavering hatred. I didn't figure out that conservatism was a lie because of some special genius on my part, it's not because I was smarter than 47% of America or anything, the theory or workability was never of any interest to them, conservatism promised to make other people's families suffer and that's all they care about and that's why they're Republican.

I could have written this and it would still be 100% true. gently caress, man.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have you heard about sensory deprivation?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

captainblastum posted:

To be clear, I'm not in any way saying that people shouldn't be able to hunt, but "I want to do this" and "I must do this or I will starve to death" are very different things. "People need to hunt to live" is not a truthful reason to oppose gun control.

Dude.

Most state residential hunting/fishing licenses are rather cheap, especially weighted against the amount of food you can harvest. Taking guns out of the equation, fishing is another avenue. The cost of entry is low. Plenty of people have hand-me-down rifles/shotguns/rods & reels.

Also, you seem to be extraordinarily mistaken about food costs AND the expense of getting to that food. Some years back, I lived in a small town in Louisiana that had a single independent grocer whose prices were astronomical. I mean to the point where nothing was worth purchasing unless it was in their bi-weekly circular and even then, only sometimes. The only other choice was an hour commute to get to a Walmart then an hour commute back.

On the other hand, I was 10 minutes from publicly available hunting fishing, for which it cost me less than $100 annually for big game, small game, & year-round fishing

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

captainblastum posted:

The places where hunting is cost-effective are deep rural areas. These kinds of places are allowed guns under even the most draconian of gun laws. So it's a bit of a strawman to say "We can't ban handguns, because what about the rural people who need hunting rifles to keep deer populations at bay?" These are different things. We can control the types of guns used in murders without banning the types of guns used to shoot deer and coyotes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deer are a plague like locust. The only difference between the two: deer taste good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If we didn't kill all the wolves the deer pop wouldnt be a problem.

Also I want to see the timelines where wolves evolve to deal with feral pigs successfully and the timeline were feral pigs deal with wolves successfully .

e: Also I recently learn/watched a short youtube science vid about how wolves being reintroduced to Yellowstone actually changed the land(over the course of years), science is cool.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Deer are a plague like locust. The only difference between the two: deer taste good.

You just haven't tried a good locust recipe.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A world where the glorious moose reigns supreme and shattered car frames litter mountain highways.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

You just haven't tried a good locust recipe.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Dude.

Most state residential hunting/fishing licenses are rather cheap, especially weighted against the amount of food you can harvest. Taking guns out of the equation, fishing is another avenue. The cost of entry is low. Plenty of people have hand-me-down rifles/shotguns/rods & reels.

Also, you seem to be extraordinarily mistaken about food costs AND the expense of getting to that food. Some years back, I lived in a small town in Louisiana that had a single independent grocer whose prices were astronomical. I mean to the point where nothing was worth purchasing unless it was in their bi-weekly circular and even then, only sometimes. The only other choice was an hour commute to get to a Walmart then an hour commute back.

On the other hand, I was 10 minutes from publicly available hunting fishing, for which it cost me less than $100 annually for big game, small game, & year-round fishing

That's a great story, I guess? Pretend I told 2, but with the opposite conclusion.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

captainblastum posted:

That's a great story, I guess? Pretend I told 2, but with the opposite conclusion.

Which is?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

captainblastum posted:

hunting is quite a cheap source of meat if your time is low-value or free and you ignore the costs by not paying them (like licence fees). i mean, i've never gone hunting and never will, i don't have a dog in this fight. i absolutely consider it a crime that our society has such a poor safety net that's a reasonable approach for poor families, one that should be remedied by fixing it rather than by relying on hunting. i just am sympathetic to the idea you fix the safety net first. also most gun control that allows any private ownership would permit it, a bolt-action long rifle where you really only need one or two.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Just leave the deer alone g*ddamn. Just out in the woods eating sticks and salt or w/e. Leave em be

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

hunting is quite a cheap source of meat if your time is low-value or free and you ignore the costs by not paying them (like licence fees). i mean, i've never gone hunting and never will, i don't have a dog in this fight. i absolutely consider it a crime that our society has such a poor safety net that's a reasonable approach for poor families, one that should be remedied by fixing it rather than by relying on hunting. i just am sympathetic to the idea you fix the safety net first. also most gun control that allows any private ownership would permit it, a bolt-action long rifle where you really only need one or two.

Hell, bow hunting has increased in popularity. It takes a bit more skill & dedication but it covers most game fairly well. Plus you can shoot target or 3D in between seasons!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Calibanibal posted:

Just leave the deer alone g*ddamn. Just out in the woods eating sticks and salt or w/e. Leave em be

Look at this person that doesn't live & drive in deer country. Annoying fuckers, kill them all.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

duz posted:

Look at this person that doesn't live & drive in deer country. Annoying fuckers, kill them all.

They are so cute.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

duz posted:

We don't need to kill all drivers just reduce their numbers to something more sustainable in the long term.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm still wondering how prevalent subsistence hunting is, in places other than Alaska. Does anyone have figures?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Does hunting for stale chex mix in the carpet under my desk count

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Calibanibal posted:

https://youtu.be/2JSNr9NxOdA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

captainblastum posted:

I acknowledge there's costs I just don't understand why you're just assuming the costs associated with hunting are larger than costs associated with maintaining a ranch, packaging and shipping meat to stores, running a store to enable people to exchange money for food, and having everyone involved skimming profit off the top at every stage. Like obviously it's more labor intensive to go outside and rundown a deer and harvest meat from it, than buying it from a store, and I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't see how it would be more expensive, than a virtually identical process, but with a bunch of infrastructure and rent seekers on top of it.

• Locked thread