Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wow, everything past 6-1 in dynamite headdy sure loves to hand your rear end to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

wow, everything past 6-1 in dynamite headdy sure loves to hand your rear end to you

If it was easy you'd beat it in a rental period and that would make Konami sad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

If it was easy you'd beat it in a rental period and that would make Konami sad.

Dynamite Heady was Treasure (and Sega I think), not Konami. In fact treasure was mostly made up of ex-konami people.

It was still probably made harder for rental reasons though because the US version was inexplicably made harder.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Internet Kraken posted:

Well he's definitely come a long way since just lazily breathing fire at you.
And tossing a dozen hammers a second.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Around 20% of my Heat Signature missions end with me flying through a window, half of those alongside my rescue/capture target

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gorolt the Wywiad

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Cuphead is so good and actually a really tightly designed action game. I love how parry works entirely differently based on the fight you're on, sometimes it's a defensive option, sometimes it's an extra challenge and sometimes it's downright a light puzzle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the subject of games with rocky development coming out, A Hat in Time reviews are starting to trickle out and they're positive.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Didn't know Roman Bellic was in FF14.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Cuphead lets you retry with no loading whatsoever. This is a feature every even slightly challenging game needs, it eliiminates so much frustration from the game wasting your time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish Bloodborne did that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if bloodborne had a single flaw, it would be having to warp back to the hunter's dream before warping anywhere else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

On the subject of games with rocky development coming out, A Hat in Time reviews are starting to trickle out and they're positive.

lol it'll own if a hat in time is a more inspired and fun game than yooka-laylee

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Nina posted:

Cuphead lets you retry with no loading whatsoever. This is a feature every even slightly challenging game needs, it eliiminates so much frustration from the game wasting your time

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wish Bloodborne did that

Yes. It's one of the great things about Hotline Miami too. You never leave the flow of combat even when you die. You just try and try and try again. I wish the DS games were more generous about starting you back at the boss. I want to bang my head against that wall, not run through the same now dead easy corridors before hurtling myself at the wall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The worst run like that was Frigid Outskirts in Dark Souls 2.

Even if you managed to despawn all of the enemies it was still like a legit five minute run from where you spawn to the actual boss room.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah in Hotline Miami the music doesn't even stop when you die and restart and I think that makes a big difference. Same in Meat Boy iirc

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Playing this game makes me realize the true difficulty in games comes from that downtime when you sit in a loading screen and think "should I bother trying again." When that's eliminated I feel no frustration at all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nina posted:

I think it's important in any game to have some post-death quiet time to reflect upon the various failures in life that have led you to this point.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as much as i love ruiner it has not just the cardinal sin of loading times but also unskippable scenes between you and boss fights and that's very bad when you can die extremely fast due to a fuckup

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The best hard game is VVVVVV where you respawn instantly and there's checkpoints literally everywhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yknow what's really cool you guys? YouTube, who allowed copyright claims on my video that contained midi covers of songs

CJacobs posted:

A youtube stream I did today got copyright stricken by literally 25 copyright holders for playing midi versions of their songs that were so accurate the automated system thinks they're the real thing

and then rejected my dispute almost instantly, so quickly that it was Surely Definitely Most Certainly Not Automated, Promise

CJacobs posted:

Unreal, simply unreal. It's not even the actual song. There's nothing to claim. My Immortal is serious fuckin business I guess.

CJacobs posted:

By the way, in order to appeal a rejected dispute you have to give them your full contact information now

in addition to writing a god drat essay that Surely Will Definitely Be Read By a 100% Not Automated Real Human

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 3, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/itdoesnteggs/status/915229960490668032

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cowcaster posted:

as much as i love ruiner it has not just the cardinal sin of loading times but also unskippable scenes between you and boss fights and that's very bad when you can die extremely fast due to a fuckup

Ruiner also has you take damage while dashing which is ridiculous imo

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

hell, same

The Colonel posted:

Get the Japanese ROM and the translation patch, Headdy was made much harder for its US release.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

nachos posted:

This is the biggest dealbreaker in the history of video games, honestly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nachos posted:

so does cuphead technically if you don't use the right trinket

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I loved playing Ruiner at the start but the more I play it, the more frustrated and pissed I get. They introduce gimmicks and then beat you over the head with them, and certain bosses are just bullet sponges while I find things like Shield and even the Planned Dash can gently caress up and leave you dead quickly. Also finding the farther you go into the game, the less useful the strategic dash seems to be--you just don't have the kind of time and space you did earlier and I'll just use the Time Warp slowdown instead.

I dig that you can respec at anytime but I swear to god it's like that because certain encounters almost require a certain skill. Idk how the gently caress you'd beat the Mother boss battles (both of them less about difficulty and more about just cheap instadeath if you are off by a hair) without using Shield.

Raxivace posted:

The worst run like that was Frigid Outskirts in Dark Souls 2.

Even if you managed to despawn all of the enemies it was still like a legit five minute run from where you spawn to the actual boss room.

I legit hated doing this poo poo in Bloodborne and it soured me on the game. Wanting to study a boss and practice fighting it but instead being forced to go through a whole loving maze of poo poo again for certain encounters was so tedious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Get the Japanese ROM and the translation patch, Headdy was made much harder for its US release.

what version do you think i'm playing!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The final boss of Dynamite Headdy lives up to his music in terms of difficulty, that's for sure.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hot take: you can totally design intense action games without iframe dodges.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was getting the hang of funny angry and then i accidentally hit f2 instead of f1, which is badass cause it saved my state right in the middle of me dying so now i have to replay all of world 8 again

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm trying to imagine what on earth the circumstances could be that would lead you to think unequipping the shield in ruiner would be a good idea

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nina posted:

Hot take: you can totally design intense action games without iframe dodges.

Iframe dodges in action games feel cool to use, though. It's like parries. Even when they aren't needed, they're still fun and rewarding.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

chumbler posted:

Iframe dodges in action games feel cool to use, though. It's like parries. Even when they aren't needed, they're still fun and rewarding.

True but I like a game that focuses on positioning instead of pure reflexes every now and then.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DLC Inc posted:

I loved playing Ruiner at the start but the more I play it, the more frustrated and pissed I get. They introduce gimmicks and then beat you over the head with them, and certain bosses are just bullet sponges while I find things like Shield and even the Planned Dash can gently caress up and leave you dead quickly. Also finding the farther you go into the game, the less useful the strategic dash seems to be--you just don't have the kind of time and space you did earlier and I'll just use the Time Warp slowdown instead.

I dig that you can respec at anytime but I swear to god it's like that because certain encounters almost require a certain skill. Idk how the gently caress you'd beat the Mother boss battles (both of them less about difficulty and more about just cheap instadeath if you are off by a hair) without using Shield.

I feel the exact same way about Ruiner getting tedious as the game goes on. There is no flow like with Furi, Cuphead, Hotline Miami etc where you can immediately jump back into combat, nor are the bosses designed in a way where you get progressively better on each death and closer to beating them. Deaths feel way too RNG and experimenting with skills is pretty annoying when some bosses require a specific move.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hearing that Ruiner doesn't have instant restart honestly makes me glad I waited rather than get swept up by the hype.

Really, if you're making a game, cutting down restart times should be pretty high on your priorities list, especially if your trying to make something hard as hell. Gravity Rush 2 was neither that hard, nor were the loading times that long but the 5 seconds it took to reset you still got really annoying after awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope games of the future incorporate an I JUST WANT TO WIN button that gradually fills up every time you fail an encounter and adjusts dynamically based on how well you were doing up to that point.

• Locked thread