Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Covering my eyes rn at this horrid betrayal of trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tell Gary Larson i'm sorry.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In other news, Nintendo is apparently forbidding people from streaming their games on YouTube even if you signed up for their extortion program.

Edit: They make it sound like it's because you signed up for their lovely program that you're not allowed to stream.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 29, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's happening.
Soon all forms of LPs will be banned.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Nintendon't you dare stream that shirtless Mario.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nintendo: Only we may view Mario's hot nips.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Jamesman posted:

Edit: They make it sound like it's because you signed up for their lovely program that you're not allowed to stream.

They don't just make it sound that way, that's exactly what it says. Why are they so weird about it? I don't know if it's Japan saying this or NOA or what but it's like dealing with a space alien who brought space games to earth

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm more surprised it isn't more widespread among the gaming companies. With as much as they wanna scream about PIRACY IS RUINING THE MUSICGAMING INDUSTRY WE JUST *HAVE* TO PUT IN DAY 1 DLC AND ALWAYS ONLINE I figured it wont be too far off before they start declaring that LPs are akin to piracy since it lets people experience the game through someone else.

You thought the Kinect was cute with it determining how many people are in a room? Wait until the kinect shuts off the xbox because it detected 3 people in the room and Microsoft does that NFL thing where they threaten to send the police to your house for daring to have more then 5 people watching the Superbowl.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Or maybe they don't want lovely Nazis like Pewdiepie streaming their games.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

gschmidl posted:

Or maybe they don't want lovely Nazis like Pewdiepie streaming their games.

No I'm gonna lean towards "gaming companies (rightfully) consider LPs to be way too close to piracy".

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That refers only to streaming so maybe the "when people stream sometimes they say gently caress (or are racist) without thinking" thing is a small part of it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Has there ever been solid research into how many people buy a game because of an LP compared to people who use an LP as an alternative to buying? If it's any indication it's the latter I can see companies cracking down hard, even though it could be a bad idea.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phimose Knight posted:

No I'm gonna lean towards "gaming companies (rightfully) consider LPs to be way too close to piracy".

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. People who just watch an LP are people who wouldn't have bought the game in the first place, while LPs often cause other people to purchase the game themselves. Only real exception to this is Telltale or David Cage style stuff.

bobjr posted:

Has there ever been solid research into how many people buy a game because of an LP compared to people who use an LP as an alternative to buying? If it's any indication it's the latter I can see companies cracking down hard, even though it could be a bad idea.

Look at sales charts for any game played by a big streamer or youtuber. You'll usually see non-insignificant spikes in sales.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pewds and his imitators are, for good or ill, almost single-handedly responsible for the huge number of horror games on the PC in the last few years. If it wasn't for them, at the very least, Five Nights at Freddy's wouldn't be the juggernaut it is and stuff like Amnesia would be a mild cult hit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phimose Knight posted:

In what way?? It's way too close to piracy because you can experience the game without paying for it yourself? The same is true of any form of media you can publicly view or share with someone.

edit: And furthermore, the game is being streamed to you from somebody who legally owns it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 29, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I'm more surprised it isn't more widespread among the gaming companies. With as much as they wanna scream about PIRACY IS RUINING THE MUSICGAMING INDUSTRY WE JUST *HAVE* TO PUT IN DAY 1 DLC AND ALWAYS ONLINE I figured it wont be too far off before they start declaring that LPs are akin to piracy since it lets people experience the game through someone else.

You thought the Kinect was cute with it determining how many people are in a room? Wait until the kinect shuts off the xbox because it detected 3 people in the room and Microsoft does that NFL thing where they threaten to send the police to your house for daring to have more then 5 people watching the Superbowl.

It's generally understood that if LPs have any effect, it's a positive one. They act as free marketing, and playing a game is a very different experience from watching a game. Most developers/publishers seem to understand this and don't want to close down that opportunity.

Meanwhile Nintendo is living in 1995 with their online practices.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

CJacobs posted:

In what way?? It's way too close to piracy because you can experience the game without paying for it yourself? The same is true of any form of media you can publicly view or share with someone.

You can't publicly post any copyrighted work without the permission of the copyright holder. The reason video footage of video games is in a grey area right now as far as that goes is that in most cases, watching a game played is not quite the same experience as playing it yourself, so it's only a portion of the work that's being published, and the commentary could possibly be considered "transformative", to use the language of Fair Use, turning the game into part of a new media work. This is similar to what Mystery Science Theater 3000 did, but even they acquired a license for every movie they riffed on and distributed, and Rifftrax avoids that issue by distributing only their own content and requiring the viewer to find another legal means of watching the movie alongside it. As long as nobody actually tries the Fair Use argument in a court of law, it's potentially viable but not legally binding either way. And unless it's decided by the Supreme Court, it's only binding within a jurisdiction and can be appealed upward.

Nintendo's been in the video game business longer than any of the other modern companies, and they've been a business for what, 150 years doing other things? Their legal department undoubtedly knows their stuff and wants to navigate the minefield of copyright issues involved with Let's Plays as smoothly as possible. So they created a program under which a Youtube channel can be devoted entirely to Nintendo content, with clear rules for how revenue is split and an express license to use Nintendo content. (It's been a long time since I read the agreement, so I don't remember any details, but it seemed fairly reasonable and was, as far as I can tell, completely voluntary. Use of Nintendo content outside their program is in the same legal grey area as any other LP, and subject to future interdiction if a court ever takes up a copyright case.) This is an addition to the program stating that live streams aren't covered, so the user needs to use a different channel for any live streaming, and Nintendo does not grant the explicit license for that content. This is a legal butt-covering, clearly, based on Nintendo's lawyers recognizing a segment of online content that has the potential to violate their family-friendly image and deciding to take an official stance against that possibility. I think it would be a lot harder for them to make a restriction based on the content of a stream - i.e. the "You may stream footage of our games, but may not use the following words" that Campo Santo seem to wish they'd added to their license.

The law is almost always ugly when it's applied by people who know what they're doing. Meanwhile, I assume everyone who's in the Nintendo program also has a channel for all of their non-Nintendo content, and as has been said, other streaming services are available. If Nintendo's agreement also forbids any distribution of their content outside the dedicated channel (again, I forget), then that might cause an issue, but they've come out and said that anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to leave the program. If enough people take them up on that, they may consider revising the policy.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Someone should play Game Dev Tycoon with the mindset Nintendo has and see what happens.

Kill Butt 3 Creators Program

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. People who just watch an LP are people who wouldn't have bought the game in the first place, while LPs often cause other people to purchase the game themselves. Only real exception to this is Telltale or David Cage style stuff.

CJacobs posted:

edit: And furthermore, the game is being streamed to you from somebody who legally owns it.
Hahaha, I don't mean it in a bad way. It's not malicious piracy, it's more like, out of necessity: "how else am I going to enjoy this game?". Us Foreigners™ from less economically stable countries tend to have a hard time importing technology just because of how ludicrous the costs are. Domestic industry, on the other hand, is peachy keen. You don't need a costly processor to watch a Youtube video or a Twitch stream, and you don't need to own a PS4 to watch someone play a PS4 game from your crappy 2004 era PC.

There used to be a TV show back in late 90s/Y2K-era, called Nivel X (Level X). I wish I could find any footage (there's just a parody series that's... unfunny to say the least), but it showcased PS1/N64-- and later, the next gen PS2/GC-- games with commentary. It certainly did its fair share to advertise the games being played, and kids could send footage of themselves playing at an arcade. For this generation of "Everyone Has Internet Access", it's much the same, except you don't need to wait for the next episode to get another hit, you can just binge-watch an entire series in a single evening.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A few LP's have convinced me to play the game myself when I wouldn't have even though of it in the first place. Xenoblade Chronicles comes to mind; I stopped watching the first video to go pre-order the game (and on the last day too!) because I was so intrigued by the quick moment I watched.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can get the Atlus argument for P5, but no one plays Nintendo games for the story, and considering how limited their game lineup has been, no one is gonna not buy the new Zelda because they saw a LP. gently caress, I've put a Switch on my "buy if money is plentiful one day" list because of BOTW videos, otherwise I'd gladly ignore yet another fuckin 3D Zelda with a tired open world thing attached to it. The "it's almost piracy" thing doesn't ring true at all. Now, trying to protect your content from...unsavory people, sure, whatever. I think it's a dumb pursuit in the age of streaming and hurts your brand more than it helps, but sure, do your thing, old Japanese lawyers.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Calling it now: in 10 years or earlier, popular games will have Streamer Editions that will look a whole lot like demos and will be the only accepted versions to get streamed. 100% LPs or otherwise full-game LPs will be pushed in the nerdiest of undergrounds and will be sold in alleyways on usb thumbsticks stored in paper bags, next to the bums keeping themselves warm around burning barrels.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
The Gamer's Underbelly.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When streaming is outlawed, only outlaws will be streamers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Gimbal lock posted:

Calling it now: in 10 years or earlier, popular games will have Streamer Editions that will look a whole lot like demos and will be the only accepted versions to get streamed. 100% LPs or otherwise full-game LPs will be pushed in the nerdiest of undergrounds and will be sold in alleyways on usb thumbsticks stored in paper bags, next to the bums keeping themselves warm around burning barrels.

Nah, streamers are idiots who will shill any game they get for free. Game companies will just go after people who don't fit into their marketing strategy.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Super Mario Run is currently 50% off as Nintendo's first ever discounted game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Putty posted:

Super Mario Run is currently 50% off as Nintendo's first ever discounted game

Nintendo's had digital discounts before. You can go to their rewards site and spend rewards currency to buy 30% discounts on 3DS/Wii U Virtual Console games.

...Guys I'm starting to think Nintendo may not know what they're doing in regards to online.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Speaking of streamers/LP'ers helping game sales, Bethesda made this rather interesting piece of marketing recently for Prey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsNvKISFFVA

I'm not exactly sure if it works as intended though...

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Mega64 posted:

Nintendo's had digital discounts before. You can go to their rewards site and spend rewards currency to buy 30% discounts on 3DS/Wii U Virtual Console games.

...Guys I'm starting to think Nintendo may not know what they're doing in regards to online.
They've had non-rewards discounts too. Does anyone ever actually look at Nintendo's stuff or do you just pretend to

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

Does anyone ever actually look at Nintendo's stuff or do you just pretend to

I haven't signed the blood contract that allows me to see Nintendo's stuff.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Phimose Knight posted:

There used to be a TV show back in late 90s/Y2K-era, called Nivel X (Level X). I wish I could find any footage (there's just a parody series that's... unfunny to say the least), but it showcased PS1/N64-- and later, the next gen PS2/GC-- games with commentary. It certainly did its fair share to advertise the games being played, and kids could send footage of themselves playing at an arcade. For this generation of "Everyone Has Internet Access", it's much the same, except you don't need to wait for the next episode to get another hit, you can just binge-watch an entire series in a single evening.
Meanwhile, in France:

"Bottom-right cam? Top-right corner? Maybe as a sidebar? Eh, make it the entire screen."

Facecam nitpick aside, it was a pretty popular TV show on our gaming channel in the 1990s called Level One, where the host(s) would play the first level/portion of a game blind, with their faces on the screen. So even back in 1998, we already had blind facecam livestreams and it kinda ruled.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Bring Tech TV and Arena, get up on how much more popular E-Sports is now in comparison to back in 2004-5.

They could even play the new Unreal game, like they were with UT2k4 back then as well.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Pewds and his imitators are, for good or ill, almost single-handedly responsible for the huge number of horror games on the PC in the last few years. If it wasn't for them, at the very least, Five Nights at Freddy's wouldn't be the juggernaut it is and stuff like Amnesia would be a mild cult hit.

One big argument to ban all LPs then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A youtube stream I did today got copyright stricken by literally 25 copyright holders for playing midi versions of their songs that were so accurate the automated system thinks they're the real thing

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the midi versions are, in fact, the real thing

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
How the heck can a song have 17 different copyright holders?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you don't think a midi version of a song counts as some arcane definition of a remix then I dunno what to tell you, the Doom E1M1 guitar sounded great in the background of the Guns n' Roses song

Doseku posted:

They all want a piece of that sweet lo-fi action

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doseku posted:

copyright trolls

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

A youtube stream I did today got copyright stricken by literally 25 copyright holders for playing midi versions of their songs that were so accurate the automated system thinks they're the real thing

The last stream I did got hit with a bunch of copyright notices too. I didn't know if I should dispute them or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might as well dispute them.