Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LordMune posted:

Yes. And he was a goon before he was either of those things.
I watched a Paradox video and immediately recognized his voice from the democratic chaos Blood Bowl LP. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The thing for AI empires from the fallen AI empire is definitely random, I got a temporary malus to production but then savescummed out of curiosity and got a permanent +5%.

Neat.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does terraforming alter planetary modifiers in any way? I have a 25 tile world with two +mineral modifiers that I've turned from lush jungle to giant strip mine, and turning it into a machine world would turn those numbers even higher, but if the two modifiers are lost I'd end up losing out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

My current federation has been presently surprisingly competent. They're actually participating in wars and when they propose one the goals are actually relevant to me. Hell, the current war was proposed by an AI and it's only goal is getting me a new vassal. Guess having the biggest fleet and cap in the galaxy inspires loyalty.

Be careful, I had the same experience where my federation-mate wanted to declare a war where basically the only wargoal was for me to vassalize one of my rivals, I said yes, we won, I got my new vassal. I also got 700 threat with the rest of the galaxy, which made every single empire not in my federation form their own mega-federation to oppose us. So now the galaxy is just split into two enormous armed camps staring at each other waiting for one or the other to start poo poo.

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does terraforming alter planetary modifiers in any way? I have a 25 tile world with two +mineral modifiers that I've turned from lush jungle to giant strip mine, and turning it into a machine world would turn those numbers even higher, but if the two modifiers are lost I'd end up losing out.

Nope. Terraforming only removes tile blockers. It won't remove any planet modifiers.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Daandrah posted:

Nope. Terraforming only removes tile blockers. It won't remove any planet modifiers.

Not entirely correct but mineral modifiers are fine in the base game. These are removed however:

Terraforming removes these modifiers:
bleak_planet
dangerous_wildlife
hazardous_weather
wild_storms
irradiated_planet

And if terraformed into a machine world they also remove these:
natural_beauty
atmospheric_aphrodisiac
atmospheric_hallucinogen
lush_planet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman posted:

Not entirely correct but mineral modifiers are fine in the base game. These are removed however:

Terraforming removes these modifiers:
bleak_planet
dangerous_wildlife
hazardous_weather
wild_storms
irradiated_planet

And if terraformed into a machine world they also remove these:
natural_beauty
atmospheric_aphrodisiac
atmospheric_hallucinogen
lush_planet

Could I request that your modifiers mod change it remove the "partial terraformation" modifier you get from the broken precursor terraformer questline?

It's a bit silly that terraforming a planet doesn't remove that tbh, and that the only way to get rid of it is to activate the broken one and make your planet unihabitable until you can terraform it back. I assumed it would be fixable but last time I played I got stuck with it permanently. Surprised it isn't part of the base game really.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Could I request that your modifiers mod change it remove the "partial terraformation" modifier you get from the broken precursor terraformer questline?

It's a bit silly that terraforming a planet doesn't remove that tbh, and that the only way to get rid of it is to activate the broken one and make your planet unihabitable until you can terraform it back. I assumed it would be fixable but last time I played I got stuck with it permanently. Surprised it isn't part of the base game really.
It'd be neat of there was a special result from the two terraformings interacting weirdly.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, out of the whole game there has to be one worthless event. 100+ tries, toxic world, every time. I savescummed 30 toxic world results before giving up, ifithas another result, neither I nor anyone Ive ever played mp with has gotten it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Playstation 4 posted:

I mean, out of the whole game there has to be one worthless event. 100+ tries, toxic world, every time. I savescummed 30 toxic world results before giving up, ifithas another result, neither I nor anyone Ive ever played mp with has gotten it.
I got a few regular planets, a Gaia world once, and horrible animal monsters another time.

Back in the day of primitives being a planet modifier/tile blockers I triggered this on a primitives planet. It wiped out all the primitive blockers but left the modifier. Where were they? :iiam:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

I'll take a look at the base game event and also add that modifier to the list that get wiped on terraformation for my mod. :)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Do you guys play with all FTL methods allowed? I personally think Hyperlane makes the game a lot more fun.

Also, does blocking that remove the ability to research Jump Drives?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Michaellaneous posted:

Do you guys play with all FTL methods allowed? I personally think Hyperlane makes the game a lot more fun.

I like hyperlanes only as well, makes stations at least a bit useful in chokepoints.

And no it doesn't block it. You can still research Jump drives (and psionic drives I believe) if you restrict the FTL options.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Playing a rogue servitor really, really makes me wish I could convert unity to some other resource after maxing out traditions. I finished them all in the early 2300s, and a few decades later I have >1million unity stockpiled and am accumulating 4k per month, despite paving over unity-generating buildings on some of my worlds. Each bio-trophy pop generates ~5 unity per month but that's now useless to me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

I've tried most combinations so far: Hyperdrive only, warp only, everything allowed. Only wormhole-only is missing, but I'm planning to make a gimmick-game on a small map to try it out some day.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

I play hyperlane only basically all the time since it actually creates choke points and makes the map more strategically interesting. You still get jump drives, which is good because by the time you get them you probably have a huge rear end empire and hyperlaning around a giant empire is painfully slow.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Magil Zeal posted:

Playing a rogue servitor really, really makes me wish I could convert unity to some other resource after maxing out traditions. I finished them all in the early 2300s, and a few decades later I have >1million unity stockpiled and am accumulating 4k per month, despite paving over unity-generating buildings on some of my worlds. Each bio-trophy pop generates ~5 unity per month but that's now useless to me.

It's a huge oversight, and I hope they address it soon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there any way to create machine empire vassals? I want to give away some of my planets so I can have more allied AI fleets, but all of the organic bio trophies in my empire end up as fanatic spiritualists or something.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I like terraforming.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I like how hilariously machine empires start snowballing once you get enough surplus energy to turn all your stuff into machine worlds.

Also I guess I managed to pick a fight with the only AE so far and win by timing a jump nicely so that my fleet ended up right all mixed up in theirs so my relatively lower dependence on huge guns worked out really well :v

Guess I'll take Defender of the Galaxy with my last Ascension point and wait until whatever threat wants to show up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

I got a habitable planet but it had a -5% modifier on it so it was below the 20% habitability threshold and everyone hosed off. I think the result might be set in stone before you savescummed in your case, because I usually get the habitable world + mutant horde result. Which is fine except it has a 2 in 3 chance of being a world that is functionally uninhabitable for your species and if you settled there to trigger the event it's probably only got a 1 in 9 chance of improving it.

It's a cool event but there's absolutely no reason I can think of that you would want to pick the terraforming option because you wouldn't have settled there if it wasn't already fairly habitable.

Guilliman posted:

I'll take a look at the base game event and also add that modifier to the list that get wiped on terraformation for my mod. :)

:woop: Awesome.

Also unrelated but lol one of the primitives I was perving on just got hit by Y2K.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 3, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How often do awakened empires get their freebie fleets? One woke up and declared war on a federation that was like 50% of the galaxy and I declared war as well to help out hoping that our combined forces could defeat their huge fleet. It some how worked and I managed to win my war, and when I peaced out their war was at like -29% so well in hand for the defenders. A while later I notice the war is still going on and their score is like +30% now, and their pathetic fleet is now an equivalent fleet. We had wiped out all their spaceports previously so there's no way they could have rebuilt, but I'm guessing AE's get free fleets now and then? If so, how often or what triggers it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Playstation 4 posted:

You can absolutely get Gaia worlds out of it, as well as just having it change to some other type. The thing about savescumming it though is that you have to actually close the game and restart it, otherwise it won't regenerate a new random seed. I have definitely savescummed it successfully.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I think they changed something to prevent save scumming this patch.

I tried to save scum the psionic drives Shroud event dozens of times and they all failed.

Don't judge, I was in a conference call.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably just bad luck, but they could also be saving the random seed now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xae posted:

I think they changed something to prevent save scumming this patch.

I tried to save scum the psionic drives Shroud event dozens of times and they all failed.

Don't judge, I was in a conference call.

I tried as well but was getting different events every time so it may be a bit more complicated. Did you have the shroud window open when saving? Maybe that's the difference?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alright, how do I deal with these self-modified fuckos who think they're too good to be genemodded back in line? Because right now the only thing I can think of is make their planet a vassal, then de-vassalize them, then attack and bombard them from orbit until they die by chance.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely willing to do that, but I'm hoping there's a solution that would be quicker to achieve.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
To generate a new seed for lots of things like that you have to change the order of events each time. If your save is literally right before your action and you load then hit the same two buttons every time after you're not actually seeing a different seed.

At least that's been relevant in other similar situations. Try things like giving ship orders first or letting the month roll over.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 3, 2017

L0VE
May 3, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Alright, how do I deal with these self-modified fuckos who think they're too good to be genemodded back in line? Because right now the only thing I can think of is make their planet a vassal, then de-vassalize them, then attack and bombard them from orbit until they die by chance.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely willing to do that, but I'm hoping there's a solution that would be quicker to achieve.

I had some of these Meta-Dudes appear last night and every few years there seemed to be an event talking about tensions increasing between these arrogant shits and the normal people. Eventually this turned into regular events where a Meta Pop would die from some good old lynching.

I currently only have 1 Meta Pop left and I'm fully expecting it to get the same treatment as the others, so just fill up the planet with regular Pops and wait is my suggestion.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

L0VE posted:

I had some of these Meta-Dudes appear last night and every few years there seemed to be an event talking about tensions increasing between these arrogant shits and the normal people. Eventually this turned into regular events where a Meta Pop would die from some good old lynching.

I currently only have 1 Meta Pop left and I'm fully expecting it to get the same treatment as the others, so just fill up the planet with regular Pops and wait is my suggestion.

Sadly they've been hanging around for like 200 years and have not actually had any of those tensions events. :(

The reason I ask is because;

We finally won, and made the galaxy safe for humankind. Nothing that deviates from the pure and holy form of the High Human exists. Except two pops of self-modded assholes.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
What map types do y'all like? I pretty much always go for huge 4 arm spiral and just go until something completely stops me from going any further or I look around and realize nothing can stop me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Mister Adequate”" post="“477018889”"]
Sadly they’ve been hanging around for like 200 years and have not actually had any of those tensions events. :(

We finally won, and made the galaxy safe for humankind. Nothing that deviates from the pure and holy form of the High Human exists. Except two pops of self-modded assholes.
[/quote]

Can you not selectively purge a subspecies?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

What map types do y'all like? I pretty much always go for huge 4 arm spiral and just go until something completely stops me from going any further or I look around and realize nothing can stop me.

Nothing makes me not want to play/open up the game again more than being blocked during initial expansion (war in Stellaris is honestly kinda dull most of the time, especially early on where there's no options), so while I play hyperlanes-only I usually go for elliptical + large/huge + max fallen empires but reduce the amount of normal AI empires by around 1/3rd. No advanced starts. I usually increase the amount of habitable worlds slightly too, and primitives. I use a mod to remove clustered starts and try to space everyone out, I prefer it for everyone to blob out a bit before borders start to touch.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mister Adequate posted:

Sadly they've been hanging around for like 200 years and have not actually had any of those tensions events. :(

Yeah, it's weird as hell that you're not allowed to mod them back to baseline, given that you can freely tinker with the genes of everybody else. Seems like an obvious solution.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THE loving MOON posted:

Tiny or small 2 or 4 arm spiral hyperlane only x.25 habitable planets. I get totally overwhelmed and disinterested once i'm managing more than a dozen planets.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Nothing makes me not want to play/open up the game again more than being blocked during initial expansion (war in Stellaris is honestly kinda dull most of the time, especially early on where there's no options), so while I play hyperlanes-only I usually go for elliptical + large/huge + max fallen empires but reduce the amount of normal AI empires by around 1/3rd. No advanced starts. I usually increase the amount of habitable worlds slightly too, and primitives. I use a mod to remove clustered starts and try to space everyone out, I prefer it for everyone to blob out a bit before borders start to touch.

I tried doing that once and while it pretty much guarantees that's you're not gonna have a game cut short by getting boxed in somewhere, I really like working around the weird poo poo you get in a mostly random start. Advanced starts are pretty annoying though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, it's weird as hell that you're not allowed to mod them back to baseline, given that you can freely tinker with the genes of everybody else. Seems like an obvious solution.
My favourite part of that event is you have these guys going gently caress YOU NORMIES WE'RE SPECIAL, and meanwhile I've completely rewritten the entire species' genome four, five times. Presumably they keep getting lynched because everyone's just sick of their gene-a-boo bullshit.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I usually do hyperlanes only two arm 1000 star galaxies with the generation settings adjusted to make the arms wider and turn down the habitable planet probability to like 5%.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I usually do hyperlanes only two arm 1000 star galaxies with the generation settings adjusted to make the arms wider and turn down the habitable planet probability to like 5%.

I find .25 planets is still a good amount, I'd love to play on bigger maps but just with more "empty" space. How do you do 5% ? Custom map mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

THE loving MOON posted:

I tried doing that once and while it pretty much guarantees that's you're not gonna have a game cut short by getting boxed in somewhere, I really like working around the weird poo poo you get in a mostly random start. Advanced starts are pretty annoying though

Yeah, elliptical galaxies kinda suck since you're guaranteed to end up stuck and stagnating unless you're BFFs with everyone.

• Locked thread