Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/youhadonej0b/status/915200742540980225

Idk what he expected :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, I think that went exactly as planned

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I think he was trying to go further. There's a quick glimpse of something on the floor by the cameraman's feet. I bet you it's cushions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pretty sure Google is going to stomp Uber a new hole, now that the due diligence report has been submitted as evidence.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/10/heres-the-due-diligence-report-waymo-hopes-will-win-its-case-against-uber/

This is what stands out in the article:

quote:

At a March 11 meeting, Levandowski told Uber that he had the Google disks. As Levandowski relayed it to Stroz, Uber CEO Kalanick "wanted nothing to do with the disks and told Levandowski to 'do what he needed to do.'" At that point, he took the disks to Works in Oakland, where he said he watched the disks get shredded. He said he paid cash and got no receipt.

and

quote:

Stroz Friedberg visited Shred Works to confirm Levandowski's visit. No one there recognized a picture of Levandowski. A manager couldn't find any receipt from March 2016 with Levandowski's name on it, including any receipt from March 11, the day he said he went to Shred Works. The manager did find a receipt from March 14, 2016 that indicated five disks were destroyed and paid for in cash. The signature on that receipt was illegible.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

More takes from Verge's article on the same report:

quote:

Levandowski also claimed that he had paid in cash and had not received a receipt. But the shredding facility told investigators that “all destructions are recorded on a triplicate, carbon-copy receipt” with details about date, time, service and payment. Although investigators did find a record of five disks being destroyed and paid for in cash, the shredding happened on an entirely different day in March, and the signature was “illegible.”

quote:

The report implies a few times that their subjects purposefully obstructed their investigation. It notes that they could not examine Colin Sebern’s — the chief operating engineer — iPhone, because it was encrypted. “During his interview, Sebern provided Stroz Friedberg with a list of possible passwords, but none of them worked.” They did examine Sebern’s MacBook Pro, and found that “interestingly, 57 gigabytes of additional free space” became available right before his interview with Stroz Friedberg.

quote:

The investigation also found that Lior Ron had deleted a file labeled “Chauffer win plan.docx” from his computer shortly before his interview, a move that Stroz drily described as “poor judgment given the protocol in place.” (Chauffeur was the name of Google X’s self-driving car project, a team that Ron, Levandowski, and many others at Otto came from.)

Which leads to this quote from that ars article:

quote:

For one of those employees, Lior Ron, Stroz found multiple Internet searches from early 2016 regarding data destruction, including searches on "how to secretly delete mac files," "secure delete of trash on mac," and "how to permanently delete google drive files from my computer."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah this thing is going to be a poo poo show for Uber and I can't wait for the trial phase to begin.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm not familiar with the case, why would they try and erase that stuff? Why are they being sued?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Odddzy posted:

I'm not familiar with the case, why would they try and erase that stuff? Why are they being sued?

They stole self-driving car technology. This guy was trying to destroy the evidence.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

chitoryu12 posted:

They stole self-driving car technology. This guy was trying to destroy the evidence.

Important addendum: "from Google." They stole self-driving car technology from Google.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
If I remember correctly, Uber headhunted a higher-up in Google's autonomic vehicle division and it seems he may have given Uber trade secrets relating to Google's research

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fantastic Flyer posted:

If I remember correctly, Uber headhunted a higher-up in Google's autonomic vehicle division and it seems he may have given Uber trade secrets relating to Google's research

And Waymo/Google have a different, civil suit going on against the engineer. Who constantly pled the 5th in depositions/disclosure for the Uber trial.

The whole thing is just :allears:

This article from back in April is when I knew this would be a magical trial and not just the usual cross licensing thing.

Uber’s Levandowski really doesn’t want to talk about any Waymo documents

Here's a list of all the Ars Technica articles on it (start at the bottom for chronological order)
https://arstechnica.com/series/waymo-v-uber/

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Oct 3, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ariong posted:

Important addendum: “from Google.” They stole self-driving car technology from Google.

Doggles posted:

quote:

and "how to permanently delete google drive files from my computer."

How does a person think it's wise to a) steal from Google and b) then store the stolen files on Google Drive?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Besesoth posted:

How does a person think it's wise to a) steal from Google and b) then store the stolen files on Google Drive?

And then, more than likely, Google how to delete them permanently.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

[/quote]

http://dai.ly/x45l0l6

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hello? FBI? Yes, I have some very compromising evidence I'd like advice on how to destroy please?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
google how do I delete google searches wait gently caress

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Somehow this thread has passed 1200 pages without one mention of the vintage story of Blair Hornstine, one of the first people to have their lives destroyed by the power of internet hatred. (Link is to an update; full story is at the bottom.)

TL;DR: Harvard-bound HS senior has the highest GPA in her class, in part because she had been excused from gym (unspecified medical reasons) and was able to take additional honors/AP courses, which were weighted more heavily. School district considers making the runner-up a co-valedictorian. High scorer sues school district and wins, since the rules are clear. Student body and internet turn against her. Internet detectives discover that her "young people's perspective" column in the local paper was heavily plagiarized. Harvard withdraws its acceptance. She is so hated by her classmates that she is unable to attend graduation, and the sole speech is given by the salutatorian (who does go to Harvard in the fall). Her settlement with the school district just barely covers legal fees.

She might as well have asked the monkey's paw to make her valedictorian.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

epenthesis posted:

Somehow this thread has passed 1200 pages without one mention of the vintage story of Blair Hornstine, one of the first people to have their lives destroyed by the power of internet hatred. (Link is to an update; full story is at the bottom.)

I feel like this is something I read about years ago then forgot all about. It seems sort of familiar. I wish there was a sort of "Where are they now?" resource for all these weird happenings of the past 20 years or so, because the public eye focuses so intensely and narrowly on them for what's really a very brief period then they're more or less forgotten. That being said, when the people involved are still alive, maybe it's not fair on them.

What about the woman who tried to hire a hitman to bump off a kid's parents so her own daughter would have an advantage in a dancing or cheerleading competition, for instance?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like this is something I read about years ago then forgot all about. It seems sort of familiar. I wish there was a sort of "Where are they now?" resource for all these weird happenings of the past 20 years or so, because the public eye focuses so intensely and narrowly on them for what's really a very brief period then they're more or less forgotten. That being said, when the people involved are still alive, maybe it's not fair on them.

What about the woman who tried to hire a hitman to bump off a kid's parents so her own daughter would have an advantage in a dancing or cheerleading competition, for instance?

How about this crazy website about defending Blair Hornstine's honor that is most definitely not set up by Blair and/or her family?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

Important addendum: "from Google." They stole self-driving car technology from Google.

Does this mean Google has logs of his 'oh poo poo oh gently caress how delete proprietary data' search? :D

EFB

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Ariong posted:

And just think, the whole reason they got caught is because they contracted with the same vendor Google was using to manufacture parts. The vendor recognized the design, and immediately reported it to Google.

quote:

Then, in December 2016, Waymo received evidence suggesting that Otto and Uber were actually using Waymo’s trade secrets and patented LiDAR designs. On December 13, Waymo received an email from one of its LiDAR-component vendors. The email, which a Waymo employee was copied on, was titled OTTO FILES and its recipients included an email alias indicating that the thread was a discussion among members of the vendor’s “Uber” team. Attached to the email was a machine drawing of what purported to be an Otto circuit board (the “Replicated Board”) that bore a striking resemblance to – and shared several unique characteristics with – Waymo’s highly confidential current-generation LiDAR circuit board, the design of which had been downloaded by Mr. Levandowski before his resignation.

:allears:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wheat Loaf posted:

NYT had an article called "How one stupid tweet blew up Justine Sacco's life" with a few examples.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
I also had my life ruined by the internet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I love the blantant-ness of the stealing/copying. It reminds me a lot of the Samsung v. Apple case where Apple laid out years of R&D into the tech that eventually became the first iPhone and Samsung was like "we looked at the iPhone and 'created' all our own hardware and software that also happened to duplicate Apple-patented innovations". Like, what did you expect would happen?

epenthesis posted:

TL;DR: Harvard-bound HS senior has the highest GPA in her class, in part because she had been excused from gym (unspecified medical reasons) and was able to take additional honors/AP courses, which were weighted more heavily. School district considers making the runner-up a co-valedictorian. High scorer sues school district and wins, since the rules are clear. Student body and internet turn against her. Internet detectives discover that her "young people's perspective" column in the local paper was heavily plagiarized. Harvard withdraws its acceptance. She is so hated by her classmates that she is unable to attend graduation, and the sole speech is given by the salutatorian (who does go to Harvard in the fall). Her settlement with the school district just barely covers legal fees.

And this is like Hubris-101. The internet didn't need to come down on her but you've got to be aware enough of your own situation to not put your foot in your mouth. Just accept a co-valedictorian and move on to Harvard. It's not like Harvard cares you were co-valedictorian, you're already in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thwomp posted:

I love the blantant-ness of the stealing/copying. It reminds me a lot of the Samsung v. Apple case where Apple laid out years of R&D into the tech that eventually became the first iPhone and Samsung was like "we looked at the iPhone and 'created' all our own hardware and software that also happened to duplicate Apple-patented innovations". Like, what did you expect would happen?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Then everyone applauded.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

https://www.andthatmanwasalberteinstein.com

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thwomp posted:

And this is like Hubris-101. The internet didn't need to come down on her but you've got to be aware enough of your own situation to not put your foot in your mouth. Just accept a co-valedictorian and move on to Harvard. It's not like Harvard cares you were co-valedictorian, you're already in.

Hmmm yes, such ground-breaking designs as "rounded corners".

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pretty bummed that this doesn't lead to an STDH compilation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Hmmm yes, such ground-breaking designs as "rounded corners".

Samsung was years away from discovering the radius.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Toast Museum posted:

Pretty bummed that this doesn't lead to an STDH compilation.

It is available for sale.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
[quote="“Randaconda”" post="“477023877”"]
Hmmm yes, such ground-breaking designs as “rounded corners”.
[/quote]

This sure is the one iPhone innovation

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rep. Tim Murphy—pro-life congressman—urged mistress to get an abortion & privately denounced own anti-abortion views

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Right to my veins.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

epenthesis posted:

Reading that article, I kinda feel sorry for her. I think her parents' fingerprints are all over every decision made for her.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Doggles posted:

And just think, the whole reason they got caught is because they contracted with the same vendor Google was using to manufacture parts. The vendor recognized the design, and immediately reported it to Google.

:allears:

quote:

Attached to the email was a machine drawing of what purported to be an Otto circuit board (the “Replicated Board”) that bore a striking resemblance to – and shared several unique characteristics with – Waymo’s highly confidential current-generation LiDAR circuit board, the design of which had been downloaded by Mr. Levandowski before his resignation.

On the other hand, it's kind of hard for Waymo to claim that those circuit boards were "highly confidential" trade secrets when they were giving them away as jewelry to departing employees.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/self-driving/could-a-pair-of-earrings-hurt-waymos-lidar-trade-secrets-lawsuit

quote:

However, according to a recent court filing, Waymo also turns its secret lidar circuit boards into jewelry and gives them away to employees leaving to work for rivals.

From 2011 to 2014, Seval Oz was head of Global Partnerships and Business Development for Google’s self-driving car program. When she left the company that August to run Continental’s Intelligent Transportation Systems division, Google threw her a going-away party at which it presented her with distinctive, custom-made earrings.

The nature of these earrings was revealed last week in a deposition of Pierre-Yves Droz, a long-time engineer on the self-driving team. A lawyer for Otto Trucking handed Droz the earrings and asked if he recognized them. “Those… are early version of the GBr2 transmit boards,” replied Droz.

GBr2 stands for Grizzly Bear 2, an older version of Google’s lidar at the heart of the case. Waymo has accused Uber of basing its lidar on the latest Grizzly Bear 3 sensor. Droz went on to testify that the differences between the two versions were small improvements. “This is confidential… [It’s] not something we should give to someone, especially if someone is leaving the company,” he said.

Reverse-engineering is entirely legal, and for you to enjoy the protection of trade secret laws you must actually attempt to keep those trade secrets secret. Theft of a trade secret is a crime, but if Waymo gives the trade secret chip away to someone and that someone turns around and sells it to Otto and then Otto reverse-engineers it, that's not criminal.

Thwomp posted:

Did Samsung expect the courts of South Korea, Japan, and the UK to rule in their favor, and the US Supreme Court to reverse and remand the $400 million verdict the lower court had issued against them? Because that's what happened. Design patents are mostly bullshit (But I guess they're better than "look and feel" copyright lawsuits).

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Oct 3, 2017

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

IamnotJoe posted:

I also had my life ruined by the internet.

If that guys name is really Raistlin Orr then there's two cases of schadenfreude here.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

On the other hand, it's kind of hard for Waymo to claim that those circuit boards were "highly confidential" trade secrets when they were giving them away as jewelry to departing employees.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/self-driving/could-a-pair-of-earrings-hurt-waymos-lidar-trade-secrets-lawsuit

Reverse-engineering is entirely legal, and for you to enjoy the protection of trade secret laws you must actually attempt to keep those trade secrets secret. Theft of a trade secret is a crime, but if Waymo gives the trade secret chip away to someone and that someone turns around and sells it to Otto and then Otto reverse-engineers it, that's not criminal.

Did Samsung expect the courts of South Korea, Japan, and the UK to rule in their favor, and the US Supreme Court to reverse and remand the $400 million verdict the lower court had issued against them? Because that's what happened. Design patents are mostly bullshit (But I guess they're better than "look and feel" copyright lawsuits).

Claims of 'reverse-engineering' are a bit dubious , though - if a board shop noticed the similar designs/hardware layout, then it's a pretty good bet it was a copy & paste job instead. In a proper reverse-engineered board, the layout would probably not be identical. The circuits, SOCs/ICs might be similar or identical. Silk screen & layout, though? Not a chance.
The trick is to convince the jury of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

epenthesis posted:

Her family is rich as poo poo though and she went to college in Scotland then law school at William and Mary