Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

captainblastum posted:

To be clear, I'm not in any way saying that people shouldn't be able to hunt, but "I want to do this" and "I must do this or I will starve to death" are very different things. "People need to hunt to live" is not a truthful reason to oppose gun control.

Okay let's just skip to the end of a tedious back and forth: if it were demonstrated that there are in fact some people in the United States who need to be able to hunt in order to not go hungry, would you allow that as a concession that they should be allowed to own guns and hunt, or would you argue that they should be relocated to a place where they would no longer need hunt for food (and instead struggle to make rent because the urban housing market is hosed)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Okay let's just skip to the end of a tedious back and forth: if it were demonstrated that there are in fact some people in the United States who need to be able to hunt in order to not go hungry, would you allow that as a concession that they should be allowed to own guns and hunt, or would you argue that they should be relocated to a place where they would no longer need hunt for food (and instead struggle to make rent because the urban housing market is hosed)?

Or third option, some way of making sure they get fed where they are via food subsidies or direct government food assistance.

As a bonus, a nationwide anti-hunger program could target all sorts of people and not just hunters. Plus enable hunters not to die if they are injured or unable to hunt.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Sure, and national healthcare would be awesome too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Sure, and national healthcare would be awesome too.

Yeah but between a national gun ban and a national anti-hunger program, the anti-hunger program is far more politicially feasible.

If politics change enough we're honestly worried about poor hunters starving to death because of gun laws, we'll probably be able to squeeze through food assistance too.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Or third option, some way of making sure they get fed where they are via food subsidies or direct government food assistance.

As a bonus, a nationwide anti-hunger program could target all sorts of people and not just hunters. Plus enable hunters not to die if they are injured or unable to hunt.

i've been looking for statistics on subsistence hunting since i'd like to know as well how common it is, and one of the first things i've noticed is that especially in alaska, subsistence hunting correlates strongly with being way the gently caress out in the wilderness. the problem there isn't primarily poverty, but literal distance from civilization. you could have a basic universal income and people in those communities would still hunt because the next walmart isn't exactly around the corner.

another thing is tribal culture and native communities, where hunting is both common for, again, remoteness reasons, but also part of traditional identity.

basically i'd be okay with giving hunting and weapons permits to those communities and just banning anyone who does not qualify as a subsistence hunter from owning guns.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

botany posted:

i've been looking for statistics on subsistence hunting since i'd like to know as well how common it is, and one of the first things i've noticed is that especially in alaska, subsistence hunting correlates strongly with being way the gently caress out in the wilderness. the problem there isn't primarily poverty, but literal distance from civilization. you could have a basic universal income and people in those communities would still hunt because the next walmart isn't exactly around the corner.

Fresh venison is much tastier than tinned beef.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

as a compromise maybe hide canned meats and other non-perishables out in the wilderness and the poor can search for them easter-egg-hunt style. so no deer get shot but the poor still have to hustle a bit

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

Fresh venison is much tastier than tinned beef.

... and?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Just leave the deer alone g*ddamn. Just out in the woods eating sticks and salt or w/e. Leave em be

I mean, more humane to painlessly kill bambi's mom with guns than for her to slowly starve to death from overpopulation

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

... and?

It's healthier?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's healthier?

no i mean, how does that have anything to do with what i said?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

I mean, more humane to painlessly kill bambi's mom with guns than for her to slowly starve to death from overpopulation

Unless we're willing to pull up stakes and do everything in our power to return wildlife to it's pre-human balance of predators taking care of deer it's more than just the humane way to manage population. It's truly a necessity.

Yeah yeah bambi's cute, whatever. Real deer with unmanaged populations are an ecological disaster. They're not called hoofed rats for the fun of it. They absolutely will over populate and destroy things around them if unmanaged.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

no i mean, how does that have anything to do with what i said?

I wasn't bagging on you; just adding another pro-venison point

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ban guns, restore wild wolf populations, lift gun ban to protect from the wolves

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

as a compromise maybe hide canned meats and other non-perishables out in the wilderness and the poor can search for them easter-egg-hunt style. so no deer get shot but the poor still have to hustle a bit

Thought you were supposed to meme, not give good suggestions.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

another thing is tribal culture and native communities, where hunting is both common for, again, remoteness reasons, but also part of traditional identity.

basically i'd be okay with giving hunting and weapons permits to those communities and just banning anyone who does not qualify as a subsistence hunter from owning guns.

i thought this would've been real obvious to anyone arguing about this, which is why the "food subsidies and relief" ideas being pushed around have left me scratching my head :confused:

like what's the plan for those people in the "all guns are banned" scenario? literal spam delivered by usps?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Ban guns, restore wild wolf populations, lift gun ban to protect from the wolves

better yet market all the houses most exposed to wolf predation as primo real estate for very wealthy people and let nature take its course

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Syenite posted:

better yet market all the houses most exposed to wolf predation as primo real estate for very wealthy people and let nature take its course

Acceptable so long as they can't own dogs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Acceptable so long as they can't own dogs.

The rich will breed Maine Coons into some kind of giant home defense cat.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Not understanding why rural poor would often rather hunt and fish for protein sources other than literally be given food or money for food, is pretty dumb politically.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Not understanding why rural poor would often rather hunt and fish for protein sources othan than literally be given food or money for food, is pretty dumb politically.

I can also understand why a coal mining community wants to reopen the coal mine rather than receive public assistance. Doesn't make it sound policy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

I can also understand why a coal mining community wants to reopen the coal mine rather than receive public assistance. Doesn't make it sound policy.

except hunting is sound policy cause there is wildlife that needs its population controlled thanks to us nearly wiping out their natural predators?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/915300694399307777

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Nasgate posted:

The rich will breed Maine Coons into some kind of giant home defense cat.

I've heard the argument that the bourgeois are good for us proles because without them there would be no drive to create luxury brands and expensive consumables. The idea that the 1% is good for us because iPhones makes me want to vomit.

But if we get new kittehs...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Apparently it makes pretty good campaign policy though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BrandorKP posted:

Not understanding why rural poor would often rather hunt and fish for protein sources other than literally be given food or money for food, is pretty dumb politically.

Let them hunt for as much food as they want

As long as they do so responsibly

And as long as they don't pretend they need 100 round drum magazine bumpfire AR15s with dual sights and a suppressor to shoot a deer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

except hunting is sound policy cause there is wildlife that needs its population controlled thanks to us nearly wiping out their natural predators?

Subsistence hunting doesn't achieve population control unless we're going to force more people to hunt to survive. Meanwhile, those stuck in a "hunt or die" situation are at extreme risk to climate change, injury or anything that disrupts their ability to hunt for food in the long term.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You liberal freaks will never take away our right to hunt and fish. And its absolutely not about the money.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

Subsistence hunting doesn't achieve population control unless we're going to force more people to hunt to survive. Meanwhile, those stuck in a "hunt or die" situation are at extreme risk to climate change, injury or anything that disrupts their ability to hunt for food in the long term.

it doesn't wholly achieve it no. but it helps it. dunno why you're trying so hard to claim it's bad and that somehow we should just ship these people food somehow.

i mean i'm not against giving food aid to rural people, but at the same time, banning them from hunting helps nothing and instead makes a problem we already have to deal with (population control) even harder to deal with

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

The Kingfish posted:

You liberal freaks will never take away our right to hunt and fish. And its absolutely not about the money.

Oh bullshit no one has loving made it into a political dick-waving contest

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Calibanibal posted:

Just leave the deer alone g*ddamn. Just out in the woods eating sticks and salt or w/e. Leave em be

I know you're shitposting but this is stupid and you are stupid.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

botany posted:

For exactly the same reason, those people are very rare and few in number, because we're talking mostly about very remote places with extremely low population density. Alaska has the lowest population density of any US state, and the 3rd lowest total population. Not only that, but half that population lives in the Anchorage Metropolitan Area; they're not exactly in deserted wastelands.

Sure, if you're living in someplace like the Borough of Yakutay, which is a 10,000 square mile county with one city in it, you can't just run down to the grocery store. But on the flip side, there's only six hundred people in that entire area. It's a place the size of Massachusetts with a total population comparable to the number of people killed or injured in Sunday night's mass shooting. Or how about North Slope Borough, Alaska, a county the size of Utah with a total population of roughly 9,500 - which is less than the number of people killed by guns (not including suicides) so far in 2017.

Sure, there are people whose lifestyle may depend on hunting. But there are people whose lifestyle depends on having a car, and that sure doesn't stop the government from yanking their license if they get into trouble. Actually, the same goes for guns. Alaska is one of the more generous states regarding gun rights, but it still bans felons from owning a gun for 10 years after their sentence (including probation) is complete. If Alaskans literally couldn't survive without guns, I'd expect to see a hardship exception or something for that law.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PittsburghPG/status/915307960536109059

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemming posted:

Reducing easy access to a popular, easy suicide method in South Korea significantly reduced overall suicides almost immediately, as an example of how effective it can be

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-korea-suicide-idUSBRE98T05R20130930

Oh, they reduced access to indoor fans?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, there are people whose lifestyle may depend on hunting. But there are people whose lifestyle depends on having a car, and that sure doesn't stop the government from yanking their license if they get into trouble. Actually, the same goes for guns. Alaska is one of the more generous states regarding gun rights, but it still bans felons from owning a gun for 10 years after their sentence (including probation) is complete. If Alaskans literally couldn't survive without guns, I'd expect to see a hardship exception or something for that law.

These guys need hunting guns, not handguns or military-style guns. You can ban them without banning hunting guns.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

These guys need hunting guns, not handguns or military-style guns. You can ban them without banning hunting guns.

Stop being a stereotype thanks in advance.

Hunting gun isn't a thing.

Although, I guess we could MAKE it a thing... :thunk:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Stop being a stereotype thanks in advance.

Is your complaint they said "military style" instead of some specific term you'd prefer?

Edit: oh lol it was about hunting gun instead of something else

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

So.... a prominent pro-life Republican in congress had an affair and then asked his mistress to get an abortion?

lol

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'll admit its kinda hosed up people can buy guns with bullets that can only kill people and not aminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

So.... a prominent pro-life Republican in congress had an affair and then asked his mistress to get an abortion?

lol

That's ok, he didn't get the abortion so is her sin not his.

• Locked thread