Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
But for real, I've seen game jams cranked out in like 48 hours that look better than that Harvest Moon screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, the ones that kinda looked like early Minecraft were playable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chasin' after that totally not dead zynga market

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

deadly_pudding posted:

But for real, I've seen game jams cranked out in like 48 hours that look better than that Harvest Moon screenshot.

The backpack button looks pulled from wikihow and the rest looks like a cheap mobile game knockoff of something popular.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kirios posted:

Wrong.

Nothing is worse than those FF6 sprites.

I had never seen and had to go look it up.

hahahahaha god drat I didn't know you could uncanny valley sprites and somehow they did

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Am I the only one who thinks RL on handheld or with joycon will be very difficult?

Also, am I the only one where quoting and clicking on quotes has been very fucky lately?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SUPERHOT when

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You think you are some talking mother effer ain't ya? You go about you own a ps4 and the new kingdom hearts game but you don't have the courage to directly tell me that. guess what? I own a ps4 and also a switch. I am getting the xbox for christmas. So yes, i do get to play the latest kingdom heart and star wars games how does that make you feel idiot?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DLC Inc posted:

SUPERHOT when

This is against the rules now fyi

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a.lo posted:

You think you are some talking mother effer ain't ya? You go about you own a ps4 and the new kingdom hearts game but you don't have the courage to directly tell me that. guess what? I own a ps4 and also a switch. I am getting the xbox for christmas. So yes, i do get to play the latest kingdom heart and star wars games how does that make you feel idiot?

confused

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Rolo”" post="“477020717”"]
The backpack button looks pulled from wikihow and the rest looks like a cheap mobile game knockoff of something popular.
[/quote]

They basically are knock offs. They just own the name Harvest Moon even after the split.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This is against the rules now fyi

Too late!

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
super mario world

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I guess it's good I haven't seen any of them since I had it on SNES and GB. Stardew seems pretty cool to me, considering I liked the oldies.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While Natsume is relying on name brand confusion for sales, Xseed/Marvelous doesn't have any hostility towards them. It's the fans that get bitter over having to correct a name.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I heard the Switch is actually.....good?? Can anyone confirm this???

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chairman Wao posted:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Chairman Wao posted:

top scientists are on the case

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Chairman Wao posted:

Unfortunately, this is false and you were lied to.
The Switch is GREAT!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Beastie posted:

Am I the only one who thinks RL on handheld or with joycon will be very difficult?

I have a pro controller, but I am certainly looking forward to playing it handheld with the cons. It will take some getting used to I think, but it shouldn't be bad.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Chairman Wao posted:

can confirm, switch is good

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DLC Inc posted:

SUPERHOT when
No wait before you probe this guy (lol too late), did they actually announce Superhot Switch existing? Because I hadn't heard that and it's one more game I never got around to buying on PC.

Chairman Wao posted:

:great:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Chairman Wao posted:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
[quote="“Rolo”" post="“477019483”"]
That looks so ugly, like a DeviantArt mismatch of different styles.

Worse than when they remade the FF6 sprites for mobile.
[/quote]

Funny thing about the FF mobile sprites. Kids playing the games for the first time and the Japanese market have a more positive reaction to them than the original graphics. So much so the producer for the ports (Kitase) was surprised that there is backlash among the NA fans of the series and has said he'll keep it in mind for the future.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I keep remembering we're getting a new No More Heroes game on Switch and it makes me happy. Travis deserves to be in the next Smash tbh

Make him a Shulk Clone

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No wait before you probe this guy (lol too late), did they actually announce Superhot Switch existing? Because I hadn't heard that and it's one more game I never got around to buying on PC.
Last word from the devs is that a port is 'under consideration, but probably very difficult to do due to hardware limitations'.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Speaking of games that should come to Switch, I'm hoping Ruiner gets a port at some point. It seems like a really nice game to have portable since dying over and over again isn't so bad when you are playing it in front of the tv or something. Heat Signature might be cool for the same reason but maybe that's a little too complex for the controller.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr Phillby posted:

Last word from the devs is that a port is 'under consideration, but probably very difficult to do due to hardware limitations'.
I'm glad they're at least thinking about it! Really seems like devs are a lot more receptive now that some indie games have done so well by being available early.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mr Phillby posted:

I get that the Switch isn't as powerful as other systems but if they can get DOOM running on it, surely SUPERHOT isn't that much of a stretch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PantsBandit posted:

I get that the Switch isn't as powerful as other systems but if they can get DOOM running on it, surely SUPERHOT isn't that much of a stretch.

On the one hand you'd think that, but on the other hand you can't get a cheap performance bonus from downrezzing the graphics so

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

On the one hand you'd think that, but on the other hand you can't get a cheap performance bonus from downrezzing the graphics so

My lovely laptop from 2013 can run Superhot

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh, in that case

I'd figured it was one of those "code de-optimizes to fill the performance specs it's allotted" kind of situations

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ohtsam posted:

Funny thing about the FF mobile sprites. Kids playing the games for the first time and the Japanese market have a more positive reaction to them than the original graphics. So much so the producer for the ports (Kitase) was surprised that there is backlash among the NA fans of the series and has said he'll keep it in mind for the future.

They would've looked a lot better had he bothered to remember to add shadows to them. It's like a photo with nothing but highlights, so it looks airbrushed as gently caress.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

You can't really compare the difficulty of porting two games from completely different engines and studios, especially when dealing with the wizards at id.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Isn't Superhot a Unity game?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bilperkins2 posted:

You can't really compare the difficulty of porting two games from completely different engines and studios, especially when dealing with the wizards at id.

Sure but Superhot has pretty low system specs. I imagine it's less a question of if the Switch can handle it and more a question of if it would sell enough to make spending port money worthwhile.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sure but Superhot has pretty low system specs. I imagine it's less a question of if the Switch can handle it and more a question of if it would sell enough to make spending port money worthwhile.

Knowing nothing about the development of either title, it could be that they use very specific coding that doesn't port easily to the Switch's architecture, for whatever reason. It's hard to know from an outsider's perspective but I've seen enough weirdness that engineers put in as shortcuts or optimization that becomes a nightmare when porting to other platforms, which would necessitate the question you mention but at a higher cost than we would expect.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rolo posted:

I guess it's good I haven't seen any of them since I had it on SNES and GB. Stardew seems pretty cool to me, considering I liked the oldies.
Check out the Rune Factory series if you want some interesting Harvest Moon sequels since the SNES/GB era. They're all on the DS/3DS. Also that one top-down Gamecube game was real good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but Stardew Valley is going to be 149.99 pesos on The Mexico eShop, which works out to about $8.20ish.

This is just like the Shovel Knight "deal" — it's the same game in English, playable by any user account on your Switch. Chucklefish has already acknowledged it and politely asked you don't take advantage, but if you already have a Mexico account on your Switch... proceed at your own karmic risk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And it $15 on US?

Does anyone know anything about the Viking game releasing Thursday? Volgarr the Viking?

Sounds like shovelware but some people I saw were really talking it up as a great platformer. Apparently been out on Steam a couple years. Anyone recommend it?

• Locked thread