Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i get enough pity from every human being i meet for being me i don't need my videogames looking down on me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Battle Angel Alita demake looking... pretty weird tbh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

exquisite tea posted:

I hope games of the future incorporate an I JUST WANT TO WIN button that gradually fills up every time you fail an encounter and adjusts dynamically based on how well you were doing up to that point.

no. that would be stupid, while instant restart is good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't understand how fighting games don't have instant restart, it's the same stages and characters why not reset the round count and go again?

Tekken 7 even lets you reset a damaged stage in the training mode with only one second of loading

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol i'm glad the secret ending of dynamite headdy is just headdy beating the crap out of a greedy theater owner while dodging falling yen

that game owned, i'm glad genesis-era treasure existed

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Colonel posted:

lol i'm glad the secret ending of dynamite headdy is just headdy beating the crap out of a greedy theater owner while dodging falling yen

that game owned, i'm glad genesis-era treasure existed

Have you watched the GameCenter CX episode of Dynamite Headdy? I think it was the latest one to be translated even, and a two-parter to boot.

E: Linky link

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 3, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I had to choose between Ruiner or Nex Machina, which one should I play

tap my mountain posted:

I don't understand how fighting games don't have instant restart, it's the same stages and characters why not reset the round count and go again?

Tekken 7 even lets you reset a damaged stage in the training mode with only one second of loading

Loading screen drama is the best part of fighting game tournaments

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I haven't played Ruiner but Nex Machina is fantastic

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I had to choose between Ruiner or Nex Machina, which one should I play

Loading screen drama is the best part of fighting game tournaments

Nex Machina is a perfect video game, so probably that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

an actual dog posted:

I haven't played Ruiner but Nex Machina is fantastic

similarly i don't know what nex machina is but i really love ruiner

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nex Machina is to Robotron what Resogun was to Defender and what Super Stardust was to Asteroids. Still recognizable, but all Housemarqed up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess if I want to play a top-down twin-stick game right now I'm looking for cool shooting. Heat Signature is fulfilling my "Walk into a place, bash everyone with a wrench" needs at the moment

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nex machina is godlike. Pure bliss. Ruiner banks on style too hard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I hope games of the future incorporate an I JUST WANT TO WIN button that gradually fills up every time you fail an encounter and adjusts dynamically based on how well you were doing up to that point.

Nintendo patented this very system.

The best dynamic difficulty was in the objectively best action game God Hand. Doing well powered up the enemies but you'd get better rewards. You had special moves that let you grovel to lower the difficulty or taunt to raise it, adding a bit of strategy as some enemies are easier to defeat than others regardless of difficulty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
1- Is there not a thread for Evil Within 2?

2- Did that Rutger Hauer game end up being good?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I started it and didn't think so. Rutger sounds super bored, and being trapped in a super cramped apartment block wasn't fun to get around. The first "vision" is just reusing the assets of the "real" world, I found it a real drag.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like how god hand discourages lowering the difficulty by making grovel cost a point while taunting is free and lets you deal extra damage if you pull it off

precision posted:

it's mostly great but the ending sucks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i've got Blade Runner Fever so i went ahead and got it, reviews sound like it's extremely my poo poo. detective walking sim in a cyberpunk apartment block, SIGN ME UP

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

The best dynamic difficulty was in the objectively best action game God Hand. Doing well powered up the enemies but you'd get better rewards. You had special moves that let you grovel to lower the difficulty or taunt to raise it, adding a bit of strategy as some enemies are easier to defeat than others regardless of difficulty.

My basic belief is that games should be pretty easy and at no point should failing one area totally halt your progress if you're enjoying it otherwise, but I think it's also all right if they taunt you for being a big pussy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

precision posted:

i've got Blade Runner Fever so i went ahead and got it, reviews sound like it's extremely my poo poo. detective walking sim in a cyberpunk apartment block, SIGN ME UP

there's a point and click blade runner game where who's a replicant is randomized and it's good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oddium posted:

there's a point and click blade runner game where who's a replicant is randomized and it's good
That sounds cool. Is the game itself good?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was pretty highly regarded but it's also literally 20 years old so finding and running it today might be tricky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are you talking about that Westwood joint?

E: yup, sure enough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is an extra spooky month, which means it's the perfect time for everyone to play darkwood, one of the best games I've played this year

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I still have all four CDs of that game in the original double wide jewel case :D . What fun that game was!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Blade Runner was a real cool game, even if one if the endings was pretty creepy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a gameplay stream of a hat in time has pretty much totally turned around my expectations, it looks really fun and way more energetic than yooka-laylee

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

If you're playing locally and just hitting rematch and the game isn't Street Fighter V there isn't a load time, it just resets your position says Ready? Go! and you're back in.

Edit: it's possible SFV also is quick but that would require me to have ever played a local game

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

I loved playing Ruiner at the start but the more I play it, the more frustrated and pissed I get. They introduce gimmicks and then beat you over the head with them, and certain bosses are just bullet sponges while I find things like Shield and even the Planned Dash can gently caress up and leave you dead quickly. Also finding the farther you go into the game, the less useful the strategic dash seems to be--you just don't have the kind of time and space you did earlier and I'll just use the Time Warp slowdown instead.

I dig that you can respec at anytime but I swear to god it's like that because certain encounters almost require a certain skill. Idk how the gently caress you'd beat the Mother boss battles (both of them less about difficulty and more about just cheap instadeath if you are off by a hair) without using Shield.

I legit hated doing this poo poo in Bloodborne and it soured me on the game. Wanting to study a boss and practice fighting it but instead being forced to go through a whole loving maze of poo poo again for certain encounters was so tedious.

Bloodborne definitely has some of the worst boss runs sin the series aside from Demon's and the DS2 DLC. The one to The One Reborn in particular is ridiculous. Good thing the boss is super easy once you realize you can kill the fireball ladies.

exquisite tea posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze had this and it was infuriating because it was like Nintendo was making fun of you for dying in this incredibly difficult videogame. So I'd add the stipulation that you can turn the feature off.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 3, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the boss runs because it gives me time to mentally recover from tilting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wasting your time between attempts is the worst and nothing makes it clearer than how much less frustrating it is to have a checkpoint directly before the thing, like maria in bloodborne or sinh in dark souls 2

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

W-what if they started putting bosses outside the boss arenas

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Colonel posted:

a gameplay stream of a hat in time has pretty much totally turned around my expectations, it looks really fun and way more energetic than yooka-laylee

They never removed Jontron from the game and the creator has a history of being an insane plagiarist, so I'm gonna pass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

This was the best part of Dark Souls 2

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Moon Monster posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze had this and it was infuriating because it was like Nintendo was making fun of you for dying in this incredibly difficult videogame. So I'd add the stipulation that you can turn the feature off.

Uh what? No they didn't? You could completely ignore the "press me to win" button.

Unless your problem is that the option is there at all which... I mean... just ignore it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Help Im Alive posted:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Of all the complaints of that area I've heard, the one that bothers me the most is the bloom

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Uh what? No they didn't? You could completely ignore the "press me to win" button.

Unless your problem is that the option is there at all which... I mean... just ignore it

Hey, I don't need the game telling me I suck ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Of all the complaints of that area I've heard, the one that bothers me the most is the bloom

that screenshot doesn't even do it justice. you have to walk along those lava lakes.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239302867

• Locked thread