Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mng posted:

I use two taco shells and eat it like a sandwich.

It was already a sandwich.

You just "invented" the quesadilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

The Bloop posted:

It was already a sandwich.

You just "invented" the quesadilla

HOly poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sometimes I use Taco Seasoning Packets

Sometimes even chili seasoning packets

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
eat the taco filling off the floor like an animal you piece of poo poo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

excuse me that is what the TACO TIME FLOOR BIB (TM) is for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I only do that when I run out of shells

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Taco kits were really popular when I lived in England. I think my friends just didn't know what spices went into Mexican food and as students the kits were probably cheaper?

I think because if it's anything like Australia*, there's not much else choice.
I'm not going to say I had anything like old el paso kits while growing up (because pepper was to spicy for my parents), But as a young adult, old el paso was it. Kits, salsa, pickled jalpenos.
May as well buy doritos, chuck some ground beef, pickled jalepenos, sour cream and chedder and call it a day. Oh wait, they did and called it nachos at bars here.
Standard fare for tex-mex is shelf stable weird tortillas from 'mission' and old el paso taco kits. They're not cheap, in fact they are a rip off, unfortunately no fresh stuff here and I expect it is the same in the UK. Good luck finding masa or fresh tortillas or tacos

These days I make my own chili spice mix and use thin pita breads, and you can find better ingredients if looking harder (but most people aren't)

*E: Jose in the UK is making a chili for GWS right now and having to buy most things from amazon

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Oct 3, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aesop Poprock posted:

I imagine extra mild "cool" flavor to taste vaguely like listerine

I must know what the three chili pepper icons are supposed to convey.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Maybe they're nega-chilies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Everything is too spicy for my parents, thus tacos for me growing up were just plain ground beef, lettuce, and cheese in a crispy shell. At some point during my teens mild taco sauce was purchased and became a staple. One time my mom bought medium taco sauce, which was banned immediately as my dad extoled the virtues of not eating spicy food (people who eat spicy food have no taste buds).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything is too spicy for my parents, thus tacos for me growing up were just plain ground beef, lettuce, and cheese in a crispy shell. At some point during my teens mild taco sauce was purchased and became a staple. One time my mom bought medium taco sauce, which was banned immediately as my dad extoled the virtues of not eating spicy food (people who eat spicy food have no taste buds).

Your dad sounds like my FIL. A reuben was deemed "pretty spicy" at a restaurant recently. I traded him for my club sandwich.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sirbeefalot posted:

Your dad sounds like my FIL. A reuben was deemed "pretty spicy" at a restaurant recently. I traded him for my club sandwich.

I once made steak, and got scolded because I added seasoning to the meat. I was lectured on how they seasoned beef in the old days because it was needed to cover the taste of the beef because it was bad back then.

This of course was coming from a man who burns all steaks into shoe leather.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Data Graham posted:

Three peppers that aren't colored in, versus other packets with one, two or three colored in, seems to be pretty safe to assume.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I once made steak, and got scolded because I added seasoning to the meat. I was lectured on how they seasoned beef in the old days because it was needed to cover the taste of the beef because it was bad back then.

This of course was coming from a man who burns all steaks into shoe leather.

The "high quality ingredients don't need much/any seasoning" thing is so dumb and I wish it would die

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jmcrofts posted:

The "high quality ingredients don't need much/any seasoning" thing is so dumb and I wish it would die

:yossame:

Although I think it's more of the fact that my parents hate flavor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes people enjoy different things and that's OK.

I mean, in this particular case, he should either cook the steak himself or STFU, but who cares that other people like "bland" food, why do so many goons turn this into the goddamn crusades

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
can we taco bout something else now

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I mean, in this particular case, he should either cook the steak himself or STFU, but who cares that other people like "bland" food, why do so many goons turn this into the goddamn crusades

Yeah, it's a sore subject for me, because due to my circumstances some years ago now, I lived with them for a month. I would spend a decent amount of time cooking for my family and get nothing but complaints because it wasn't canned, jarred, frozen, or reconstituted in some fashion. To this day they'll still complain that I used a single onion and god forbid a fresh clove of garlic one time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

can we taco bout something else now

no tacos are eternal.

and i was denied my taco tuesday due to a webmeeting which is bogus so i will have to forge them myself.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, it's a sore subject for me, because due to my circumstances some years ago now, I lived with them for a month. I would spend a decent amount of time cooking for my family and get nothing but complaints because it wasn't canned, jarred, frozen, or reconstituted in some fashion. To this day they'll still complain that I used a single onion and god forbid a fresh clove of garlic one time.

"oh this was just for me, have some nuggets" *drops dog bowls on floor*

*fills with frozen nuggets*

*leaves*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sneakyfrog posted:

"oh this was just for me, have some nuggets" *drops dog bowls on floor*

*fills with frozen nuggets*

*leaves*

Yeah, that's basically what I did after a solid week of planning menus to cater to 3 different levels of picky eating, driving 30 minutes to the grocery store to get the food, and spending 30+ minutes cooking for them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Bloop posted:

Because the people who want everything to have the same amount of seasoning as drywall get all up in everyone else's poo poo about it whenever there is food within 50 yards of them. They're "picky eaters" but even worse because they want to get rid of every food they don't like instead of just shutting the gently caress up and eating their dinosaur-shaped food pellets.

Also because those people are wrong, have always been wrong, and always will be wrong., about everything.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I did after a solid week of planning menus to cater to 3 different levels of picky eating, driving 30 minutes to the grocery store to get the food, and spending 30+ minutes cooking for them.

nah i tolerate food allergies but thats about it, or maybe ask if there is anything they completely hate.

but yeah. My ex wives family were absolutely infuriating and i made it theough like a solid half meal with them arguing about how salty it was when there literally was no salt in it but available on the table for those who werent on a low sodium diet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sneakyfrog posted:

nah i tolerate food allergies but thats about it, or maybe ask if there is anything they completely hate.

but yeah. My ex wives family were absolutely infuriating and i made it theough like a solid half meal with them arguing about how salty it was when there literally was no salt in it but available on the table for those who werent on a low sodium diet.

My brother, does not eat any beans, or anything bean-like, this includes peas. My mom hates mashed potatoes, and will eat no spice whatsoever, somehow she detected 1/8tsp of crushed red pepper in an 8 serving dish. My dad, well, we've covered that already. It was hard enough finding something that I thought they would eat, only to get nothing but complaints about it.

The scary thing to me is, I was once like that, eating only processed foods. I would have jumped at the chance to eat a bowl of nuggets off the floor like a common cur.

I still don't like broccoli or cauliflower, and you can leave the tomatoes off my burgers, but somehow, one day I just grew up and became an adult.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mom could cook. :smugdog:

Not cook healthily, since lol rural Florida, but she could cook.

(she cooks much healthier now that she lives alone)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
picky eaters can go the gently caress home or hit a drive through on the way over.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Randaconda posted:

Not cook healthily,

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Everybody posts my avatar as a response. :negative:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

It's kind of adorable and I smirk whenever I see it happen

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Randaconda posted:

better than quoting your old name :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least it's a cool and good avatar. :unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jmcrofts posted:

Like, its true in that sense that you shouldn't slather your filet mignon in ketchup, but salting and peppering your meat is never a bad idea

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
just use Montreal steak spice for everything :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
cant be lazy all the time friend. some times you have to put the pizza rolls in the enchilada

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It is hard to forgive parental food crimes.

But we must forgive.

I spent three hours making chicken stew from scratch and had to leave salt out of it almost entirely because SALT BAD.

But the rage, it passes. Let them eat steak.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You all know those taco seasoning packs have ingredients listed right?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My mother in law convinced my wife that graters and microplanes were razor sharp when she was younger, and she just discovered they weren't.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

My mother in law convinced my wife that graters and microplanes were razor sharp when she was younger, and she just discovered they weren't.

drunk cooking me will fundamentally disagree with you on that one friend.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

How young was your wife when she met your mom that this would ever take hold :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

You all know those taco seasoning packs have ingredients listed right?

But if you don't cook often, or if the spices are hard to find where you live, it might be fairly economical. I knew people who would buy those taco kits in China and Japan because it ended up being cheaper than sourcing the actual ingredients.