Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SunAndSpring posted:

What happens if the AI finishes the last ritual?

you get to fight a battle to stop it, which you can win pretty easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

SunAndSpring posted:

What happens if the AI finishes the last ritual?

You get an extra five turns and a free teleport to a 'final battle' against a single AI army. The battle is uphill, but it's still not difficult and you also get friendly AI armies to fight with you. On legendary I could probably do it with a lord and 5-6 units. Once you win, the AI faction is removed from the 'race' and can't try to complete the ritual again. It's basically impossible to lose the campaign in any way, other than by losing on the campaign map

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RagnarokZ posted:

The Geomantic Web thing, build the boosters in your capital cities, watch the gold just wash into your accounts.

Yeah, at rank 5, the web pylon brings in like +15% income and you get the minor settlement pylon that gives +10% and the province commandment to give you +10% gold on top of all the research bonuses. You don't get a lot of money from skink favelas individually, but it adds up pretty quick when you spread them around and stack a bunch of building and research % bonuses to it. In my Krok Gar campaign by the time I had conquered and confederated all of the non-desert southlands, I had 3 full 20 man army stacks and was still making like 8k a turn. By the time I killed off all the sabertoothed mummy pretenders in khremi and taken most of the continent for myself, I was up close to about 18k a turn and spinning up gimmick armies I didn't really need (like an monster mash army of carnosours and stego/bastilodon arty just to watch them blast elves to kingdom come) just to have something to do with all the cash.

This was on normal, of which the army upkeep penalty is lower than hard, but you could probably manage about as well with one or two less armies.

Edit: A not insignificant chunk of this money was from trade agreements. Don't forget to trade to the wood elves, humans, and dwarves in the southlands and with the other lizardpeople in Lustria.

Edit: vvvvvv Pretty much all dragon (and hydra) breath weapons are savage and can straight up delete units off the field when they are well aimed. In my Morathi campaign the starting Hydra has single handedly won me some battles that I would of had no chance of otherwise.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 3, 2017

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Just killed 150 Swordmasters with Seraphon's breath attack in Malekith's second quest battle. I was pretty surprised! There were three units of them clumped up, but I didn't realize dragon breath attacks were that powerful. Malekith got to kill over 700 Asur in that battle, Bladewind did serious work too. Having allies as magic batteries with power of darkness was nice too.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I feel like they ran out of ideas for Skaven General names...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
getting the "reveal sea areas"-tech as Helfs on VH is a double edged sword because sure you get hella trading partners but also you get wardecced by like 10 factions the same turn you get it and 5 factions the next turn :shrug:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

You say that but with the necessary 20 unit stacks needed to deal with the loving high elves in late game I was making a measly 1k per turn

That's how the game is meant to be played though, assuming higher difficulties. You build armies until your profit per turn is basically 0 and then actually use those armies to start battles/sack for money. That money lets you build more buildings in more provinces until eventually your per-turn profit allows for more armies, rinse and repeat. If an army isn't sacking or moving to sack something or at least get post-battle loot then you probably didn't really need that army, save for maybe 1 defense force which should probably be a +profit general with +profit followers in a province full of high-profit unique buildings anyway.

Incidentally, that gameplay loop is why higher difficulties increase the cost per stack when previous games didn't do this--in previous games army actions weren't nearly as profitable as here.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Martout posted:

getting the "reveal sea areas"-tech as Helfs on VH is a double edged sword because sure you get hella trading partners but also you get wardecced by like 10 factions the same turn you get it and 5 factions the next turn :shrug:

"Occupy this settlement on the other side of the universe. 10 fragments."

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Playing as druchii, I hover around 10k slaves. Mostly from battles and sacking other dark elves and chaos.

My provinces have a capacity for ~10k to ~14k slaves each.
Raiding gives me 40 to a 100 slaves a turn and seems like a waste of a general for very little return.

How do i get more slaves? At this rate I'd have to sack the entire world to get anywhere close to capacity.
Has anyone found good area's to raid for higher slave gains? I have not yet gone to southern Lustria and Southlands to see if Skaven make better targets.

It seems like I can't make good use of the dark elf "gimmick". Black Arks are great though.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 3, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

I feel like they ran out of ideas for Skaven General names...

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Beer Hall Putz posted:

You get an extra five turns and a free teleport to a 'final battle' against a single AI army. The battle is uphill, but it's still not difficult and you also get friendly AI armies to fight with you. On legendary I could probably do it with a lord and 5-6 units. Once you win, the AI faction is removed from the 'race' and can't try to complete the ritual again. It's basically impossible to lose the campaign in any way, other than by losing on the campaign map

So really you can just ignore rituals all together and just do the ~FINALE BATTEL~ for the 3 other races or however many there are and play like normal?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lizardmen ability to raise gold stacks is amazing. Its got to be the best high ranked unit making in the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jum-Jum posted:

"Defeat this Rogue army on the opposite continent, 500g"

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Playing as druchii, I hover around 10k slaves. Mostly from battles and sacking other dark elves and chaos.

My provinces have a capacity for ~10k to ~14k slaves each.
Raiding gives me 40 to a 100 slaves a turn and seems like a waste of a general for very little return.

How do i get more slaves? At this rate I'd have to sack the entire world to get anywhere close to capacity.
Has anyone found good area's to raid for higher slave gains? I have not yet gone to southern Lustria and Southlands to see if Skaven make better targets.

It seems like I can't make good use of the dark elf "gimmick". Black Arks are great though.

You get a lot of slaves from post-battle and from sacking as long as you spec'd generals into it--it's on the way to lightning strike and reduced upkeep, so generally a good idea--and black arcs also help. Humans/Skavens make the best targets because their stacks tend to have the most bodies. Lizardmen make the worst. Personally I've just been having one stack + black arc go around helve settlements picking weak targets to sack and then going back to sea on repeat. By the time it loops back around the island it's ready to sack the others again.

Raiding, in general, is only for trying to lure stacks out to attack you or as a "may as well" thing on the way to an attack if it'll take 2 turns to reach regardless. Just sitting around raiding is basically never going to be profitable since it's designed to be based on stack cost in the first place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I know people talk up the blue line but I'm just addicted to maxing out yellow line on all my generals at this point

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Dongattack posted:

So really you can just ignore rituals all together and just do the ~FINALE BATTEL~ for the 3 other races or however many there are and play like normal?

Yep exactly. You're actively penalised for doing your own ritual, both with invasions and diplomatic penalties. There is no reason to pay any attention to the enemy rituals, as they'll simply never complete them. The AI also seems to target ritual resource sites for invasion, so it's probably best to never bother to claim them either. The best comparison I can think of is like playing the original game where the Chaos invasion never happens, you have to take over the entire map to win. (or I guess you could use your crushing economic might to station three armies around each of your ritual cities and just auto-resolve to win if you get bored of domination)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Beer Hall Putz posted:

Yep exactly. You're actively penalised for doing your own ritual, both with invasions and diplomatic penalties. There is no reason to pay any attention to the enemy rituals, as they'll simply never complete them. The AI also seems to target ritual resource sites for invasion, so it's probably best to never bother to claim them either. The best comparison I can think of is like playing the original game where the Chaos invasion never happens, you have to take over the entire map to win. (or I guess you could use your crushing economic might to station three armies around each of your ritual cities and just auto-resolve to win if you get bored of domination)

Cool, thank you! That really motivates me to fire up the game again.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Gonkish posted:

Skaven.jpg

Or maybe this:

Both of which are from this album.

This needs to go in the OP

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Beer Hall Putz posted:

On the plus side though, you can play the campaign making a small but strong empire. Instead of taking 300 turns to clear the map.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Decus posted:

You get a lot of slaves from post-battle and from sacking as long as you spec'd generals into it--it's on the way to lightning strike and reduced upkeep, so generally a good idea--and black arcs also help. Humans/Skavens make the best targets because their stacks tend to have the most bodies. Lizardmen make the worst. Personally I've just been having one stack + black arc go around helve settlements picking weak targets to sack and then going back to sea on repeat. By the time it loops back around the island it's ready to sack the others again.

Raiding, in general, is only for trying to lure stacks out to attack you or as a "may as well" thing on the way to an attack if it'll take 2 turns to reach regardless. Just sitting around raiding is basically never going to be profitable since it's designed to be based on stack cost in the first place.

Thanks, I'll be trying that tomorrow evening!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

On the plus side though, you can play the campaign making a small but strong empire. Instead of taking 300 turns to clear the map.
Yeah, but then you're still spending a lot of turns waiting for someone's ritual bar to max out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, but then you're still spending a lot of turns waiting for someone's ritual bar to max out.

Your ritual bar will completely max out with only one ritual site long before you dominate the map. Not doing the rituals doesn't cap you out of the ritual item your side is collecting.

Even after you stop all the other sides ritual quest battles, the game expects you to either finish your rituals or wipe out almost all other factions.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Thinking about the missing Skaven units they could later add:

Giant Rats- Just have them function like light cavalry. Change the Moulder clan buildings around, with tier 3 giving giant Rats, tier 4 giving rat Ogres and tier 5 giving Hellpit Abomination. This nerfs rat Ogres somewhat by making them harder to obtain but the flip side would be a fast cheap unit with the expendable trait.

Ratling Gunners- Decent range firing extremely inaccurate salvoes of bullets. To define them from other ranged units give them a bonus vs flyers and/or infantry. They'd help cover Skaven weaknesses vs flyers, though in their cases would mainly shred squads of flyers like bats or harpies; big flying monsters or flying mounted lords might have too much armor for them to be super effective, but their projectiles would at least have respectable speed. Maybe also give them a trait that lets them less picky about firing into the backs of friendlies since their projectiles have a flat trajectory.

Warplock Jezzails- The opposite extreme compared to Ratlings. Instead of a hail of fire they'd fire very slowly, at long range. Functionally similar to warp lightning cannons, they'd have less dps and no splash but also somewhat cheaper and less ungainly to maneuver.

Pack master- A Moulder themed Lord that could get more bonuses for your monster units, particularly damage resist and maybe have his menace below summon giant Rats instead of Clan Rats.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Jum-Jum posted:

especially great as Teclis since your starting position isn't vulnerable or anything...

I want to love playing Teclis, I really do! He gets some great casting action going and I've wiped several units at once with net+fiery convocation but his start is just the worst. Slow growth, no public order from capital upgrades, too far between settlements in starting province and unfavorable terrain for campaign map movement range to fend off invasions effectively - invasions that come by sea, btw, and sometimes with a Black Ark if you're unlucky.

Imo it's the by far hardest start, just takes ages to get a single solid stack going. Maybe I got unlucky both times I tried that start on VH but it took me until like turn 25-30 or so before I could field bolt throwers and a full stack of spearmen/archers, nothing fancy. So rough :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Thinking about the missing Skaven units they could later add:

Giant Rats- Just have them function like light cavalry. Change the Moulder clan buildings around, with tier 3 giving giant Rats, tier 4 giving rat Ogres and tier 5 giving Hellpit Abomination. This nerfs rat Ogres somewhat by making them harder to obtain but the flip side would be a fast cheap unit with the expendable trait.

Ratling Gunners- Decent range firing extremely inaccurate salvoes of bullets. To define them from other ranged units give them a bonus vs flyers and/or infantry. They'd help cover Skaven weaknesses vs flyers, though in their cases would mainly shred squads of flyers like bats or harpies; big flying monsters or flying mounted lords might have too much armor for them to be super effective, but their projectiles would at least have respectable speed. Maybe also give them a trait that lets them less picky about firing into the backs of friendlies since their projectiles have a flat trajectory.

Warplock Jezzails- The opposite extreme compared to Ratlings. Instead of a hail of fire they'd fire very slowly, at long range. Functionally similar to warp lightning cannons, they'd have less dps and no splash but also somewhat cheaper and less ungainly to maneuver.

Pack master- A Moulder themed Lord that could get more bonuses for your monster units, particularly damage resist and maybe have his menace below summon giant Rats instead of Clan Rats.
In addition to ratlings and jezzails, there are a bunch of other Skryre weapons teams that could be added, including the DOOM FLAYER

Or something boring like a mortar team.

That said, I'd really like to have Ikit Claw in the game, but I'd also be happy with Throt the Unclean. Moulder-wise, they could even go for wolf-rats as a skaven equivalent to warhounds or dire wolves. They could also just come up with some other horrible rat monsters like the brood horror

I'm willing to bet they're going to go Skryre first as I feel like more of their roster is missing, but there is definitely room to expand Moulder as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Moulder's focus should be added in Mortal Empires campaign, because I think Hellpit is supposed to be around Troll Country/Kislev. This start sounds like a lot of fun because you have Norsca, Dwarves, Greenskins and Kislev to fight, with lots of epic monster mashes happening.

WH3 could have Ikrit Claw/Deathmaster Sknitch since Eshin has a presence around where the Ogres used to be from.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Game keeps giving me close victories when I lose 200 trash rats and kill 450+ elite lizards.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Some kind of beast pack DLC with Clan Moulder beasts, along with Dark Elf Beastmasters + monsters and more Lizardmen dinos seems pretty likely to me.

For High Elves, they did have in the Storm of Chaos some sea serpents, so maybe they could get those?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Since each new race pack is supposed to come with 4 LLs (instead of the mini-campaigns) I think that they might be increasing the number of LLs in the race addon packs or making them race specific instead of paired off against each other. So instead of Grim and the Grave giving you a few extra units and lords to both VC and Empire, you might have a Skaven pack that adds two LLs and more units to Skaven instead. I can't decide whether they'll go that route because then they can easily be accused of shorting the release rosters deliberately, but if they don't do that, the extra races will have more LLs than the release races which seems a little strange too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Give me Spess Mehreen rats or give me death

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I got a couple of the extra factions in the first game but wasn't bothered about most of the DLC. I will gladly buy any extra Skaven content day one, no questions asked.

Really hope they add at least some of the crazy crap people have posted on this page, it all sounds so fun :mrgw:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Give me Spess Mehreen rats or give me death
The super rogers from the End Times can gently caress right off. :colbert:

The little brain-rat fetuses attached to their backs can stay though. :3:

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

Since each new race pack is supposed to come with 4 LLs (instead of the mini-campaigns) I think that they might be increasing the number of LLs in the race addon packs or making them race specific instead of paired off against each other. So instead of Grim and the Grave giving you a few extra units and lords to both VC and Empire, you might have a Skaven pack that adds two LLs and more units to Skaven instead. I can't decide whether they'll go that route because then they can easily be accused of shorting the release rosters deliberately, but if they don't do that, the extra races will have more LLs than the release races which seems a little strange too.

CA might also just be doing it to sweeten the pot with the DLC races by giving them twice as many LLs to choose from. One of the biggest criticisms that comes from the community about Total War's DLC is the price point, so this might just be a way to give an incentive to justify that.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Considering how viable an all artillery/skavenslave army is right now, I must must must have my Jezzails/Ratling Gunners to expand on that. Throw trash into pile, shoot into pile, probably get your victory called Pyrrhic by the game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sea guard ain't poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
A great way to integrate the 'life is cheap' tabletop rule would just be to have Ratling gunners literally fire indiscriminately at targets regardless of friendly units in the way. Who cares about firing in a flat trajectory when you can just bullet hose your way through your own guys to hit the enemies behind them?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

JBP posted:

Game keeps giving me close victories when I lose 200 trash rats and kill 450+ elite lizards.

Send a Saurus Old Blood on a carnosaur with 19 dino friends into skaven territory and enjoy endless heroic victories

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sea guard ain't poo poo.

Haven't messed with shades at all yet, but what brings their range to 221? Does it actually increase with chevrons for some reason?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Voice work on the game is good, I hear commentary on a lot of things, from deciding the fate of prisoners to the status of a city (damaged, revolting, under siege).

I feel like the VA for Skaven was directed like this:

"Ok Phil we want em to sound kind of like Frank Oz doing Yoda. "
:downs:" Happy to see you I am! Hmm!"
"Eh, more like Frank Oz doing Yodas voice after a meth binge"
:byodood: "Hnnnggghhh.... I, nnnnhhh Hate-Like you yes yes! fffffff...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Aren't Skaven all super high on radioactive magic ultra-coke anyway? Pretty spot on I'd say.