Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Didn't hockey do this a while back and some nobody ended up winning the captaincy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
NBA All Star game will be LeBron+Western conference vs the Warriors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starting a campaign to get Dwight in as a starter only so he can be picked very last.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

lol Metapod's new av is calling

Nah I'm rocking my av for the season

Where is this?

xbilkis posted:

Give me Russ as captain passing on KD for 11 rounds

Please I need this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Didn't hockey do this a while back and some nobody ended up winning the captaincy?

That's because nobody watches hockey, so the internet was actually able to get enough votes for it.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

IcePhoenix posted:

That's because nobody watches hockey, so the internet was actually able to get enough votes for it.

Zaza Pachulia

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Gobias Ind. posted:

Zaza Pachulia

That's the mobilization of an entire country

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
You could put Team Durant vs Team Westbrook on PPV and it'd do better numbers than Wrestlemania

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, they fan voted in a journeyman enforcer then nearly rioted when the NHL tried to stop him from playing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/for-one-year-john-scott-saved-the-nhl-all-star-game/

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's the mobilization of an entire country

So is NHL All-Star voting, really

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That Knicks subway ad was actually a two sided ad where you 'pick a side' to sit on. Here's the other side:

https://twitter.com/rxmeister28/status/915222846443544577
https://twitter.com/nydnsports/status/915226875852677121

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Gobias Ind. posted:

So is NHL All-Star voting, really

Ahaha fair enough

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

No, they fan voted in a journeyman enforcer then nearly rioted when the NHL tried to stop him from playing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/for-one-year-john-scott-saved-the-nhl-all-star-game/

then he scored a couple of goals and won mvp

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dutchy posted:

then he scored a couple of goals and won mvp

That was a good article. I had a smile on my face the whole time reading it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/NBAjournalist/status/915237948957822976

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hey I recognize that dunk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZ4NEUf9tM

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i think the all star game shakeup is a good and cool idea. it'll add a nice level of drama and excitement for something that doesn't matter at all. plus it could lead to some really crazy combinations and situations. and if it doesn't work, no big deal, tweak it and try again

Redgrendel2001 posted:

this was a great story! thanks for sharing it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How many people can you fit on one seat?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I am supremely nonconfident in Kristaps Porzingis' ability to lead a team

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hah they changed the all-star rules to get KD and Westbrook on opposing teams

best league

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

I am supremely nonconfident in Kristaps Porzingis' ability to lead a team

Yeah I'm worried about that and his body holding up to the rigors of a #1 option full season in the NBA. He should wear armor

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

How long is it going to take Lakers fans to turn on Lonzo if he isn't great this year

Six months for the general populace maybe longer. Lonzo is extremely popular at the moment.

This is saving you, there are few owners worse in all of sports than Ted Leonsis.

Extremely great that Jeanie Buss ruined the Lakers permanently to get an all star in a game that now the Lakers have even less of a chance of getting a player into.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So they're going to do a live schoolyard pick at the start of All Star Weekend, right?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

So they're going to do a live schoolyard pick at the start of All Star Weekend, right?

And the game will be Shirts Vs. Skins

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
If they make the team selection live it will be so good. Have them all line up against the wall of a gym. Keep ten high definition cameras locked onto KD's face from every angle.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are there still going to be 15 players from each conference? I want an all-west all star game with special guest Lebron James.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
If you're a captain you pretty much need to choose your real teammates first, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really just going to spend the entire first half of the season imagining a Snoop Dogg and Kevin Hart hosted schoolyard pick on All Star Saturday and all the wonders that will bring.

If the NBA doesn't do it I might never recover.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/mellentuck/status/915303144648773633

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

nachos posted:

Are there still going to be 15 players from each conference? I want an all-west all star game with special guest Lebron James.

They only do 12 but yeah

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Rick posted:

This is saving you, there are few owners worse in all of sports than Ted Leonsis.

Explain

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Extremely great that Jeanie Buss ruined the Lakers permanently to get an all star in a game that now the Lakers have even less of a chance of getting a player into.

It doesn't change who plays, it just changes what team they play on. It's similar to how they've been doing the rookie/sophomore game.

RaySmuckles posted:

i think the all star game shakeup is a good and cool idea. it'll add a nice level of drama and excitement for something that doesn't matter at all. plus it could lead to some really crazy combinations and situations. and if it doesn't work, no big deal, tweak it and try again

I agree, I don't mind them trying crazy stuff for the ASG. The game itself has been stale and I've been barely paying attention/skipping it the last few years. Saturday night is usually way more fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the All Star stuff works better the more wacky and fun it gets. Its all an exhibition so there's no real reason to not just go for broke.

Like if you decide that the All Star game will be more fun and get better ratings if its a 3-on-3 tournament in playgrounds then why the hell not?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I wonder if this will mean players will try a bit harder? hahaha of course not.

Also yeah a KD vs Westbrook captain'd teams would be really good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I wonder if this will mean players will try a bit harder? hahaha of course not.

Also yeah a KD vs Westbrook captain'd teams would be really good

It doesn't mean that they will try harder, but it gets rid of the pretense that it is anything other than a goofy fun exposition and at least gives them something to try to do cool poo poo for.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Rubio should be an honorary captain because I want to see him throw lobs for 48 minutes

Andre Miller, too

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

He only owns teams to make money off of them and is cool with ruining the sports if it increases his bottom line. He's one of the primary owner voices behind like five work stoppages at this point and should get the gently caress out of pro sports.

I mean I guess congrats he took the Wizards from "arguably all time worst franchise ever" to "still arguably all time worst franchise ever but the team is currently slightly above average" so I don't get why anyone likes him at all.

Lockback posted:

It doesn't change who plays, it just changes what team they play on. It's similar to how they've been doing the rookie/sophomore game.

I agree, I don't mind them trying crazy stuff for the ASG. The game itself has been stale and I've been barely paying attention/skipping it the last few years. Saturday night is usually way more fun.

So are they just going to pick the top 30 players or whatever?

No player is going to pick Brook Lopez to play on their all star game, although maybe coaches might do it if he puts up numbers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In a new twist the home town team gets to name 2 captains who can pick from the All Star Skills Competitors, Futures, and Celebrity rosters for a chance to play the Eastern Conference All Stars for their spots on the bench.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
JVG thinks Wade's gonna shoot 40 percent from deep this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

So are they just going to pick the top 30 players or whatever?

No player is going to pick Brook Lopez to play on their all star game, although maybe coaches might do it if he puts up numbers.

The entire process up to the game is the same, the captains will pick their teams from the voted in players

• Locked thread