Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

"Sir this is a McDonald's drive through."

"No I know that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The supreme court's gonna hear that gerrymandering case soon what are the odds that they rule in favor of republicans

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump is a Walmart Greeter but President.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

The supreme court's gonna hear that gerrymandering case soon what are the odds that they rule in favor of republicans

commentators seem cautiously optimistic Kennedy will vote against the gerrymander based on his conduct during oral argument

but it's kennedy so who knows

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol Spain still has a King

US is a wasteland but at least we're not Europe.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Uncle Wemus posted:

The same as when it was a Scalia court. Comes down to Kennedy as the split vote.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

Dude cmon its 2017

You alrrady know the answer

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

The court generally doesn't bother to hear cases unless it's planning to overturn them, and the current precedent says gerrymandering for purely partisan reasons is perfectly fine, you just can't do it for racial reasons.

So yeah it's gonna come out in favor of the GOP of course.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Donny is worse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

brugroffil posted:

tbf the king is also why they're not fascist anymore

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

well not openly fascist anyway

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Parity warning posted:

i want to die

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf the king is also why they're not fascist anymore

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i like that im hearing pundits talk about restricting open air gatherings

so extremely good hahahahaaha

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
somebody is really bad with CSS but I'm glad to see that the :justpost: button at the bottom of pages is now huge

e: aww they just fixed it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Agrajag posted:

restricting freedom is sadly the price of freedom

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

theres also the whole part where the former king lied his rear end off to Franco about keeping fascism in place after Franco died

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

not really

the current language is:

quote:

(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
   (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
   (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

the suggested language is:

quote:

(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
   (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used is designed and intended by the manufacturer or importer for use in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
   (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended by the manufacturer or importer for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes is primarily intended by the manufacturer or importer to be used in a rifle or shotgun, a handgun projectile that is designed and intended by the manufacturer or importer to be used for hunting, recreational, or competitive shooting, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

the law only ever intended to ban armor piercing ammo for handguns, but the way the law is phrased, a steel tipped rifle round would become retroactively illegal if someone somewhere develops a pistol that can shoot it. ak47 rounds fall under this, and those are mongo. so the change shifts it to only apply to stuff actually designed for handguns

the law already has huge problems because there's other ways to make an armor piercing handgun bullet than just switching material and there are end runs around it anyway by making like a tungsten alloy tipped lead round, but this change is not what people paint it as

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Hate when I line up a shot on a huge 12 point buck, and it winks at me. It was wearing full kevlar with steel plates! SOROS!!!!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

nooooo my fantasy football account noooooo

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

zegermans posted:

restricting freedom is sadly the price of freedom

*kneels and does the hand cross kiss to heaven thing*

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Please chill out and wait for Ben Carson's hot take. It's definitely going to be extraordinary.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

spoiler: trump will still deliberately block help out of spite

e: especially when he sees the less-than-glorifying coverage of his ranting today

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
gently caress im hungy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mormonpartyboat posted:

gently caress im hungy

taco bell

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Uncle Wemus posted:

Some court reporter today said he *thinks* there's five votes for tossing out partisan gerrymandering nationally. Kennedy has signaled he's just looking for the right case going back to a 2004(?) ruling, so this might just be it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/915318542299430913

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Some court reporter today said he *thinks* there's five votes for tossing out partisan gerrymandering nationally. Kennedy has signaled he's just looking for the right case going back to a 2004(?) ruling, so this might just be it.

counterpoint, hope is a lie

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

also a good choice if yr horny. nothing like making sweet sweet love to a seven layer burrito.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What was the reasoning that partisan gerrymandering is legal anyway?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dees nuts

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

"racism is over"

that was no poo poo roberts' argument

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

eduardo ballsamo

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

its extremely funny

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Addamere posted:

haha ur an idiot owned

:negative:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Money.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

spoiler: trump will still deliberately block help out of spite

e: especially when he sees the less-than-glorifying coverage of his ranting today

oh 100%, she also said he needs to stop being the 'miscommunicator-in-chief' which I'm sure will get back to him.

RIP Puerto Rico

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Trump handed the supplies out to hurricane victims at a Calvary Chapel church on the island.

Video and press reports from the event show Trump tossing paper towels into the crowd. He is also seen handing out flashlights.

“Flashlights? You don’t need ‘em anymore,” Trump said. “You don’t need ‘em.”

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

"non -whites: are they really citizens??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

it's hard to quantify

also political affiliation is not a protected class

• Locked thread