Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Away all Goats posted:

I wonder if this will mean players will try a bit harder? hahaha of course not.

Also yeah a KD vs Westbrook captain'd teams would be really good

giannis actually trying in the all-star game was the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

So are they just going to pick the top 30 players or whatever?

No player is going to pick Brook Lopez to play on their all star game, although maybe coaches might do it if he puts up numbers.

12 players from the East, 12 players from the west, decided with a weighted average of 50% fan vote, 25% player vote, 25% media for the top 5 from each side, the next 7 are coach votes.

Top 2 vote-getting players are captains, and pick teams from the remaining 22.

So if Brook Lopez is the 12th man in the West based on vote/player/media votes, he'll be picked by one of the captains as they make their 12 man teams. The captains don't decide who plays in the game, only which team they are on.

You still get to bump your chances if you play in a big market.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
We better get to see the captains pick teams live so we get closeups of the last guy chosen.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
There's probably no way they televise the team selection

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want a live schoolyard pick more than anything in the sports world but I also really want to see the NBA Union fight to protect the egos of its All Stars.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Rick posted:

He only owns teams to make money off of them and is cool with ruining the sports if it increases his bottom line. He's one of the primary owner voices behind like five work stoppages at this point and should get the gently caress out of pro sports.

I mean I guess congrats he took the Wizards from "arguably all time worst franchise ever" to "still arguably all time worst franchise ever but the team is currently slightly above average" so I don't get why anyone likes him at all.

I mean yes, the owner of multiple pro sports franchises is anti-labor, thats to be assumed. I don't know what puts him that much further ahead of like, Arison, or Reinsdorf, or anyone else. Playoff hilarity aside the Caps seem to have been pretty well managed under him

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This is great and will be super fun. I hope Durant gets the first pick and chooses Russ but then Russ just walks away complaining and refuses to pass him the ball.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is, if they really think about it there's no reason to hide the team pick. It doesn't matter if it happens on live TV or if we find it out from Twitter, everyone's going to mock the poo poo out of players about being picked late and any kind of "sleight" or "grudge" is going to become the major topic of conversation. Hell, we're just going to have weeks and months of speculation predicting who the last pick will be and who goes 1st, 2nd, etc.

You might as well just put it on TV, draw ratings, make a big show of it, and get in on the joke. You made the choice to turn this into the simplest symbolic form of childish judgment and revenge. There's no point in pulling back now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
All-star game should just be KD and Russ in a 1v1 and everyone else just stands aside

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I had to guess, only the two captains and some league officials will know the order of picking and they'll just release the rosters listed alphabetically or some other neutral order.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like all that would do would push the mockery and fever pitch to speculation and maybe even more feverish as fans and media target people who weren't the last pick or didn't get snubbed but who kind of look like they did.

You just can't say "we're going to have the greatest players in the world do a schoolyard pick" and then say "but we don't want anyone's feelings hurt or for people to make the story about who picked who and who picked last." That's what you just decided to do.

But also I just really want this and am going to hold out hope until its dashed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These guys get mega salty over their 2K ratings, I can't imagine how berserk they'd go if they got picked after someone they don't like.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
That's why it'll be great. Part of the fun of the NBA is the drama.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But are they going to feel better if everyone in the media and fanbase THINKS they were picked after someone they don't like and they can't prove they weren't? Or when instead of one guy getting poo poo for being the last pick there's like 4 guys all getting poo poo for possibly being the last pick? You can't really avoid this problem now that you decided to go this route.

And I really, really want it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

STAC Goat posted:

But are they going to feel better if everyone in the media and fanbase THINKS they were picked after someone they don't like and they can't prove they weren't? Or when instead of one guy getting poo poo for being the last pick there's like 4 guys all getting poo poo for possibly being the last pick? You can't really avoid this problem now that you decided to go this route.

And I really, really want it.

Yes? It's no different than what happens right now with everyone on twitter calling each player a bum. Of course it would matter more to them to learn that their fellow player(s) think they deserve to be picked last

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/outsidethenba/status/915319202495557633

https://twitter.com/outsidethenba/status/915322214546853889

Seems legit

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Get Mike Conley in the all star game

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/RyanAbrams76/status/915319234208653312

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's pro knicks

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nachos posted:

FORMIDABLE

you hear that, Boston?

Underrated post of the day if I ever saw one. loled irl.

Also, Kibner nice new avatar.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/bernstein_goff/status/915336688280489990

Sorry Dexo

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
hope there's an out clause for when his face finishes melting off

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm late to BallChat but how long would you guys give it before Luke Walton is fired for not making the playoffs with that team?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

JVG thinks Wade's gonna shoot 40 percent from deep this year

dont dox me

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

jesus god drat christ what dirt does he have on them

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Xposting to fire up zogobot
https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/915276394246082560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

[quote="“SunshineDanceParty”" post="“477026407”"]
We better get to see the captains pick teams live so we get closeups of the last guy chosen.
[/quote]

It was pretty funny when the NHL did it. Kessel's a pretty laid back guy so it was all in fun.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_f7ayRbEQ

The following years the last pick also got a car so by the end you had people wanting to be the last pick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jason Goff, even though I love his work, has been telling me Gar's gonna get fired for like the past 3 years.

He's lied to me, so I'm gonna believe he's lying to me now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

chunkles posted:

I'm late to BallChat but how long would you guys give it before Luke Walton is fired for not making the playoffs with that team?

He is still really popular with the fans and has a fun play style, so he has atleast another season. Only idiots expect them to sniff the playoffs this year

So, yeah, Magic could totally fire him after this season

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

You're not a true New Yorker unless you smear your poo poo all over a subway seat

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I like the Knicks ads.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Uh so just in the preseason with Melo gone the team effort level is up 2000%

also kinda looks like Porzingis is going to take 30 shots a game this season

Vanilla Frank has wide eyes and I think I love him

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

This is gonna take a while seeing CP3 in Rockets gear and Melo in Thunder strip.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Melo with a seeing-eye pass. Roberson flubs it. :rolleye:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
in New York I Ntilly Rock

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/915377362602098689

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

He is still really popular with the fans and has a fun play style, so he has atleast another season. Only idiots expect them to sniff the playoffs this year

So, yeah, Magic could totally fire him after this season

I'm going w/ a bold prediction of he gets the axe after this season. It's not that there's anything wrong with him, it's just the wildly unrealistic expectations combined with the opportunity to install some heretofore unknown 80s Lakers player as coach

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
(Clyde and Mike Breen talking about Sean Kilpatrick being from Yonkers, just like Mike Breen)
Clyde: He's a good shooter
Mike [laughing, but serious]: We're all good shooters in Yonkers.

:wth: gangster as hell

anyhow the Knicks are passing and running and trying on defense they suck but they play basketball Melo was a god damned tapeworm

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
if dicktouchin jim the somnambulist is a root beer barrel

felton is a lil' hug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ErikHorneOK/status/915379877766942725

The rockets

• Locked thread