Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Stylus didn't pick up any of my old styles (maybe because I installed it after updating to 57) but it uses styles from the stylish website itself, so no rewrites necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Boris Galerkin posted:

This popped up on my RSS feed

https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

Which is an addon that's kinda like Adblock but it specifically blocks buttcoin miners in your browser.

I am speechless because I can't believe that this is actually a thing that is needed but apparently this is the world we live in now. Pirate Bay is an example of a website serving up such mining scripts, and if they are/can do it then I assume that all the shady poo poo tier advertisement networks are doing it too.

Iridium (the replacement for YouTube Centre) just popped up a notice asking if they can use my computer to start mining... well, at least they asked. Let's see how long it takes for them to just start doing it anyway.

EDIT: https://github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/issues/189

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I'm looking for Firefox 57-compatible versions of a few non-compatible extensions I have left.

SuperStop: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/superstop/ Which basically just made it so you could hit shift-esc to do the same thing esc would do on a loaded page before they stopped that - stop animated gifs, stop some ajax requests, etc.

Snap Links Plus - since the official version he did for the last update is still defective in the options menu. I really just need the right click-drag motion to open new tabs and the ability to have it not open duplicate links in that.

Rehost Image - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rehost-image/ which was simply the easiest quick-rehost on Imgur extension I found a while back. All I need out of a replacement is that it can do that.

Session Manager - http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/ since the ability to selectively save collections of tabs from time to time is useful, and sometimes it's really helpful for recovering from a crashing situation. I don't really need all the advanced features either.

DownThemAll - http://www.downthemall.net/ The developer refuses to bother upgrading things to Firefox 57 compatibility, I don't need all the capabilities, just the ability to give an extension a page and have it grab+download all the image links or video links etc, and then do it from certain selections on the page. The whole extension can do things like split up files into multiple parts to download over old dialup connections or whatever, but I hardly need that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

Why did Tab Center stop working? I thought it's by mozilla smh

Mozilla chose to remove the ability to hide the tab bar and url bar, claiming security reasons. The Tab Center extension got retired instead of being updated. A replacement exists, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/tab-center-redux/ , but it's waiting on mozilla to finish implementing a safe web extension api for hiding the tab bar. No ETA, but not by FF57 at least. Using it now creates 'duplicate' tabs, but only cosmetically.

fishmech posted:

Session Manager - http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/ since the ability to selectively save collections of tabs from time to time is useful, and sometimes it's really helpful for recovering from a crashing situation. I don't really need all the advanced features either.

DownThemAll - http://www.downthemall.net/ The developer refuses to bother upgrading things to Firefox 57 compatibility, I don't need all the capabilities, just the ability to give an extension a page and have it grab+download all the image links or video links etc, and then do it from certain selections on the page. The whole extension can do things like split up files into multiple parts to download over old dialup connections or whatever, but I hardly need that.

Not sure about the others, but Session manager is waiting on new webextension API's before it can do anything for firefox 57+. No idea if mozilla will implement these before 57 actually comes out.

The Downthemall dev is actually working on a webextension version. He made a post about it, but has no idea of a delivery timeline.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I thought the DTA guy wasn't going to bother because Mozilla refuses to implement a filesystem API. Any webextension version of DTA won't let you set a download directory most likely.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Nalin posted:

I thought the DTA guy wasn't going to bother because Mozilla refuses to implement a filesystem API. Any webextension version of DTA won't let you set a download directory most likely.

He made a post where he said that Mozilla wasn't implementing the APIs, but he thought he could get special treatment from Mozilla like tree style tabs is getting. However he didn't want to get special permission just to be allowed the privilege of doing even more work.

I think the biggest problem going forward is going to be addons that need new APIs, especially large numbers of them. Imagine if TST didn't exist, do you think it would be possible for someone to build it starting with FF 57? I sincerely doubt it, Mozilla's giving them special treatment because TST already has a large, dedicated user base.

Without an existing large user base Mozilla isn't going to give an unproven addon special treatment, especially one that requires as much work on Mozilla's part as TST. No one will be able to make "another" TST, DTA, or CTR; Mozilla will just simply not do the work necessary to make them possible.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Iridium (the replacement for YouTube Centre) just popped up a notice asking if they can use my computer to start mining... well, at least they asked. Let's see how long it takes for them to just start doing it anyway.

EDIT: https://github.com/ParticleCore/Iridium/issues/189

I think that kind of thing is a terrible idea, but if I'd fielded some of those comments squawking about the 'differences' between a hobby and a business, I'd have closed up shop and hung out old hello.jpg for them.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

EoRaptor posted:

but it's waiting on mozilla to finish implementing a safe web extension api for hiding the tab bar. No ETA, but not by FF57 at least. Using it now creates 'duplicate' tabs, but only cosmetically.

Meanwhile you can create /<profile>/chrome/userChrome.css
and put

code:
#tabbrowser-tabs {
  visibility: collapse !important;
}

#newtab-label, #newtab  {
  display: none !important;
}

#settings {
}
in, which hides the tabbar.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Here is a google table showing common extensions, their status in Firefox 57+ and some alternatives.

Stolen from Reddit, or possibly earlier in this thread, but worth a repost.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/edit#gid=0
I assume someone is updating it, but it's not me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

The options screen was never good before, really. And was super overdue for a redesign.

Not that the new one is necessarily great.

I take it back. Settings are still hidden behind modal dialogs for no reason.

Edit: file upload is still a modal dialog. Thought this was meant to be a nice UI redesign?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 2, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm a huge CTR guy, but after trying out 57b I have to say it's not too bad.

I'm baffled by a number of decisions though that seem punitive.

Hamburger menu button is a mandatory button that cannot be moved or hidden. Why isn't it the same as any other button?
Where's my dedicated Reload and Stop buttons?
Why does the urlbar need a ... button (of which the first option is to favorite the page) and a favorite button, neither of which can be removed?

The App Tab highlight is far too hard to see now, but at least my most important App Tabs change their favico anyway.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Using the new pruned Add-On regime for a week now and the added speed makes up for losing a lot of functionality and comfort.
But I'm missing a few things: Especially SALR of course (I rely a lot on jumping to the last unread post with the jump button and typing in &goto=newpost every time for tabs I keep open all week gets old really fast) and Enpass. Some minor things from Tab Mix and CTR, but that's mostly creature comforts and can often be done with other add-ons in a lesser way. Session Save I could replicate in a bare-bones form with Tab Saver for example. Others like BBCode/HTML/Markup tagging via context Menu I'm still searching for a replacement.

The speed and memory improvments are really tremendous. On my passively cooled Surface Pro 4 with 4 GB RAM I always used Opera, because Firefox was too choppy, especially with Youtube and HTML5 videos. Now, with Developer Edition it runs fast and great (most annoying thing is that using touch puts a blinking text cursor onto the web page and even fullscreen video for some reason):

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Decius posted:

Using the new pruned Add-On regime for a week now and the added speed makes up for losing a lot of functionality and comfort.
But I'm missing a few things: Especially SALR of course (I rely a lot on jumping to the last unread post with the jump button and typing in &goto=newpost every time for tabs I keep open all week gets old really fast) and Enpass. Some minor things from Tab Mix and CTR, but that's mostly creature comforts and can often be done with other add-ons in a lesser way. Session Save I could replicate in a bare-bones form with Tab Saver for example. Others like BBCode/HTML/Markup tagging via context Menu I'm still searching for a replacement.

The speed and memory improvments are really tremendous. On my passively cooled Surface Pro 4 with 4 GB RAM I always used Opera, because Firefox was too choppy, especially with Youtube and HTML5 videos. Now, with Developer Edition it runs fast and great (most annoying thing is that using touch puts a blinking text cursor onto the web page and even fullscreen video for some reason):

you are using h264ify right? might help stop youtube monopolising your system resources

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

~Coxy posted:

I'm baffled by a number of decisions though that seem punitive.

Hamburger menu button is a mandatory button that cannot be moved or hidden. Why isn't it the same as any other button?
Where's my dedicated Reload and Stop buttons?
Why does the urlbar need a ... button (of which the first option is to favorite the page) and a favorite button, neither of which can be removed?
My current userchrome.css tweaks (on Nightly):
code:
/* Remove identity box in the address bar */
#identity-box { display: none !important; }

/* Remove Star bookmark icon */
#star-button { display: none !important; }

/* Remove forward and back buttons */
#forward-button{ display: none !important; }
#back-button{ display: none !important;}

/* Remove Menu button */
#PanelUI-menu-button {display: none;}
#PanelUI-button { -moz-border-start: 0px !important;  border-image: none !important; }

/* Remove Close Tab button */
.tab-close-button {
}

/* Center address bar text when not focused */
#urlbar:not([focused]) .urlbar-input-box {
	text-align: center;
}
Takes care of the most annoying things that I miss CTR for. Plus Firefox actually uses Windows theme elements now which was my other major complaint.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks for that!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
You know you can just right-click the bookmark star and remove it right? (At least on Nightly.) You don't need to add userChrome for it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Avenging Dentist posted:

You know you can just right-click the bookmark star and remove it right? (At least on Nightly.) You don't need to add userChrome for it.

You can do that with all the buttons inside the address bar. Click the three dots and right click any of the functions there to add that button to the address bar. I removed the pocket button and added the "send tab to device" button.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Avenging Dentist posted:

That option was bugged for me not long ago, and star just kept coming back after restart, that's why it was in there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nalin posted:

You can do that with all the buttons inside the address bar. Click the three dots and right click any of the functions there to add that button to the address bar. I removed the pocket button and added the "send tab to device" button.

Not "reader view" AFAICT.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is Tampermonkey export broken for anyone else? I've tried making a File, Zip and Cloud export, both to Dropbox or Google Drive. All of them fail silently.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Is Tampermonkey export broken for anyone else? I've tried making a File, Zip and Cloud export, both to Dropbox or Google Drive. All of them fail silently.

Working for me, only have adblock plus tampermonkey and stylus installed. Only tried the export to my hdd option not the others as i don't store stuff in cloud or dropbox.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My Firefox for android just updated to 56 and now they've finally added enough webextensions support for me to use the latest version of uBO. Why the gently caress did they push that poo poo out before adding support to all their platforms?

Oh well, let's see in how many new and exciting ways things are broken now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Geemer posted:

My Firefox for android just updated to 56 and now they've finally added enough webextensions support for me to use the latest version of uBO. Why the gently caress did they push that poo poo out before adding support to all their platforms?

Oh well, let's see in how many new and exciting ways things are broken now.
If you find out if uBO's cosmetic filtering now consistently works on the newest versions for both, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is my PC exploding, or is 56.0 a giant pile of garbage? Youtube tabs are slow, text is sort of slow to appear and I'm getting this insane problem where going to a page from the address bar sometimes doesn't load, but a link/bookmark to the same URL works fine.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Hypnolobster posted:

Is my PC exploding, or is 56.0 a giant pile of garbage? Youtube tabs are slow, text is sort of slow to appear and I'm getting this insane problem where going to a page from the address bar sometimes doesn't load, but a link/bookmark to the same URL works fine.

I haven't had any of those issues. Have to tried a fresh profile? Or upgrading your graphics drivers?

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Hypnolobster posted:

Are you using Greasemonkey? I've had very similar issues, and it turns out it was Greasemonkey 3.16 causing scripts to run slowly and creating an overall lovely browsing experience. Try installing the 3.17 beta here, it fixed everything for me: https://github.com/greasemonkey/greasemonkey/issues/2602#issuecomment-333593758

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
BitWarden isn't working very well as a replacement for LastPass on Firefox 58 Nightly. Is it working in the 57 beta? It only offers to save the password for some sites. Outlook.com and Gmail pass by it unnoticed when I log in.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you find out if uBO's cosmetic filtering now consistently works on the newest versions for both, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Aside from having to import my settings from file, I've not had any issues.
Just make sure to save your settings to a file. And when you've installed the latest version, to import them and also clear filter caches and update filters.

I had some weirdness from cached pages from before importing my settings, but those issues resolved themselves by now.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm sure this has been answered before but does Firefox have support for multiple profiles like Chrome does? I really like that you can just click a button in Chrome, select a different profile and get a brand new window.

I've installed the Multi-Account Containers extension but it's not quite what I'm looking for - it's more like having multiple private windows open, not really separate profiles with their own extensions, bookmarks and history.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Contextual_Identity_Project/Containers#How_to_Use_Containers

You have to set something in about :config, then it works. I think it's gonna be default in 57+?

e: wait poo poo, you also want separate bookmarks/history, that doesn't happen... yet:

quote:

Not separated by Containers (Yet):

History - Bug 1283320
Bookmarks - Bug 1213290
Security Exceptions for Invalid TLS Certificates Bug 1249348

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 4, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geemer posted:

Just make sure to save your settings to a file. And when you've installed the latest version, to import them and also clear filter caches and update filters.

I had some weirdness from cached pages from before importing my settings, but those issues resolved themselves by now.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot then.

nexus6 posted:

I'm sure this has been answered before but does Firefox have support for multiple profiles like Chrome does? I really like that you can just click a button in Chrome, select a different profile and get a brand new window.

I've installed the Multi-Account Containers extension but it's not quite what I'm looking for - it's more like having multiple private windows open, not really separate profiles with their own extensions, bookmarks and history.
Used to be you could make your shortcut refer to firefox.exe -p and it would start up with the profile manager. No switching from inside an instance as far as I know though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot then.
Used to be you could make your shortcut refer to firefox.exe -p and it would start up with the profile manager. No switching from inside an instance as far as I know though.

Start with the command firefox.exe -p -no-remote and you can have several different profiles running at the same time. I currently have Firefox running with a profile dedicated for Something Awful, another for YouTube and few other profiles for other purposes.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Saukkis posted:

I currently have Firefox running with a profile dedicated for Something Awful, another for YouTube and few other profiles for other purposes.

To what end?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geemer posted:

Followup is that I didn't lose my settings like everyone else seems to have done, but on the other hand the import filter settings button doesn't work for me, as well as a complete refusal of the element picker to work at all (ie it won't jump to the page I'm invoking it for, doesn't show the grey overlay when I go to that tab manually). The latter being a problem I have had with all 1.14 builds on FF for Android so far.

So I'm back at 1.13.8, which works great. I'll wait some more, I guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

To what end?

I imagine clicking/watching youtube links on SA and having your actual youtube history separate is a good move for most, my "recommended" videos are pages of dumbshit star citizen and trump crap that gets linked in the funny threads

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That's exactly why I got Argh Magazine about Mozilla trying to shove containers back into the add-on closet.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Seems like the "Open with <other browser>" extensions now require some kind of a "native client" to work. gently caress that poo poo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Also holy gently caress is it annoying that mouse gestures just wont work on some tabs due to security

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hypnolobster posted:

This site is loading terribly so, but if I keep clicking the same link, the pages sometimes load faster. Must be some add-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
does anyone know if there is a greasemonkey script or other add-on that will let me hover over for twitter links the way I can with youtube links using greasemonkey? O another ways around it so I don't have to click the link like an animal to see the funny picture ?