Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Majorian posted:

Now let me tell you about my Panera Bread strategy, and how it's not racist.

The Panera Bread poll called the GA election
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/876933955206881280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I think they're more upset that a firm that did digital for a losing campaign can still win contracts

Yup. Terrible Democratic advisers keep getting rehired, regardless of how poorly the campaigns they serve do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Majorian posted:

Yup. Terrible Democratic advisers keep getting rehired, regardless of how poorly the campaigns they serve do.

But here's the thing, what's the non-terrible digital media firm Democrats could hire instead?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

and they were lying. and anyone with half a brain knew they were lying

You are the one talking about defense of others. Saddam never threatened anyone in Iraq?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

You are the one talking about defense of others. Saddam never threatened anyone in Iraq?

are you seriously going to start arguing in favor of the iraq war to salvage your argument? :lol:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

You're the one implying the type of argument is a good one. Then you try to get around the implications by saying "well actually everyone was lying about Iraq because no one ever believed a bad thing was good because of their ideology."

That said, I'm not convinced you even recognize what the original argument is about. You probably just heard antifa and jumped in.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

You're the one implying the type of argument is a good one. Then you try to get around the implications by saying "well actually everyone was lying about Iraq because no one ever believed a bad thing was good because of their ideology."

That said, I'm not convinced you even recognize what the original argument is about. You probably just heard antifa and jumped in.

nah, my argument lines up with what other people were saying. just cause bush said the iraq war was defensive doesn't mean it was. just cause jefferson clay said vietnam was defending capitalism, doesn't mean it was.

on the other hand, antifa is actually literally defending people. like when they protected nonviolent clergy protestors from nazis who were trying to brutalize them

you apparently think there's no difference between defense and aggression other than semantics, and it's a really dumb point of view that has you arguing republican talking points

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

nah, my argument lines up with what other people were saying. just cause bush said the iraq war was defensive doesn't mean it was. just cause jefferson clay said vietnam was defending capitalism, doesn't mean it was.

on the other hand, antifa is actually literally defending people. like when they protected nonviolent clergy protestors from nazis who were trying to brutalize them

you apparently think there's no difference between defense and aggression other than semantics, and it's a really dumb point of view that has you arguing republican talking points

Don't be obtuse. Of course keeping them from beating up protesters is clear-cut defense. Otoh stuff like punching Richard Spencer at an interview is argued to be an act of preemption. Preemption, as Sarah Palin can't tell you, is at the core of the Bush doctrine as well.

So that's two examples of non-LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS who argue for preemption in some form.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Don't be obtuse. Of course keeping them from beating up protesters is clear-cut defense. Otoh stuff like punching Richard Spencer at an interview is argued to be an act of preemption. Preemption, as Sarah Palin can't tell you, is at the core of the Bush doctrine as well.

ah, you're crying tears for richard spencer, a man who has argued the following:

a nazi posted:

‘Does human civilization actually need the Black race?’ ‘Is Black genocide right?’ and, if it is, ‘What would be the best and easiest way to dispose of them?’

antifa's actions against richard spencer are defense because we've all seen what happened the last time nazis got power, and those brave antifa brawlers are doing their damnedest to keep history from repeating itself.

but please, do cry some more tears about the needless aggression of antifa against poor richard spencer

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

punching richard spencer is just like starting a war in iraq, a sane view from a sane man, not a smoothbrained forum poster unable to make a point

"preemption in some form" lmao

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

ah, you're crying tears for richard spencer, a man who has argued the following:

antifa's actions against richard spencer are defense because we've all seen what happened the last time nazis got power, and those brave antifa brawlers are doing their damnedest to keep history from repeating itself.

but please, do cry some more tears about the needless aggression of antifa against poor richard spencer

I never said preemption was always needless, just that it's actually a universally held belief (except among some pacifists). Liberals do it, conservatives do it, even antifa does it.

Nice try shifting goalposts though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

I never said preemption was always needless, just that it's actually a universally held belief (except among some pacifists). Liberals do it, conservatives do it, even antifa does it.

Nice try shifting goalposts though.

and i already said that the preemption is justified cause there's a legitimate threat in the case with nazis that there wasn't in the case of iraq

Condiv posted:

this is p easy yronic.

Iraq was not a threat, so there was no defensive action on the us's part

The people nazis target are not a threat, so nazis are not defending themselves

Nazis are actually a threat, as they wish for genocide and mass murder, so antifa are defending others

keep trying to pretend they're the same though yronic

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
everyone does it!

*compares punching a white supremecist to killing a million iraqi civilians*

it's just human nature!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Regardless of any inaccuracy/accuracy, it is probably an unwise rhetorical move for this audience to compare antifa to W.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

and i already said that the preemption is justified cause there's a legitimate threat in the case with nazis that there wasn't in the case of Iraq

So do you deny the Kurdish genocide?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Regardless of any inaccuracy/accuracy, it is probably an unwise rhetorical move for this audience to compare antifa to W.

This audience will throw a tantrum no matter what.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

This audience will throw a tantrum no matter what.

Yeah but the skill comes from making their tantrum make them look like an idiot instead of you.

Now you've seemed to stray into arguing the Iraq war was justified and its not a good look.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

So do you deny the Kurdish genocide?

:lol: you're really doing it, you're arguing in favor of the iraq war

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
yronic's gimmick is he's the savage anti-leftist leftist who accidentally goofs up and makes himself looks dumb on purpose to bolster the left

it's honestly quite genius

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah uh there is nothing wrong with the idea of preemptive violence. just the opposite, its an incredible important concept, to leftists, and not to liberals, because leftists, unlike liberals, are deeply concerned about the use of violence and how or when it can be legitimate or illegitimate. thats the whole loving point - jeffclay, like all liberals, sees the distinction between aggression, defense, or preemptive aggression as mere pedantry. because they are unconcerned with the intellectual dilemma of violence

thats why "the vietnam war was a defense of capitalist institutions" is fightin' words around these parts - the word choice is important and not pedantic, because the ideas they represent are important. claims to defense, or preemption, can and should be evaluated as legitimate or illegitimate. lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

But here's the thing, what's the non-terrible digital media firm Democrats could hire instead?

Hell, I don't know. I'm sure there's more than just that one though.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

:lol: you're really doing it, you're arguing in favor of the iraq war

No, this is simply turning your own fallacious argument style against you for sarcastic effect. Good gravy you are a dumb motherfucker.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

No, this is simply turning your own fallacious argument style against you for sarcastic effect. Good gravy you are a dumb motherfucker.

There's no reason to get upset

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

yeah uh there is nothing wrong with the idea of preemptive violence. just the opposite, its an incredible important concept, to leftists, and not to liberals, because leftists, unlike liberals, are deeply concerned about the use of violence and how or when it can be legitimate or illegitimate. thats the whole loving point - jeffclay, like all liberals, sees the distinction between aggression, defense, or preemptive aggression as mere pedantry. because they are unconcerned with the intellectual dilemma of violence

thats why "the vietnam war was a defense of capitalist institutions" is fightin' words around these parts - the word choice is important and not pedantic, because the ideas they represent are important. claims to defense, or preemption, can and should be evaluated as legitimate or illegitimate. lol

And liberals, and some non-tankie leftists for that matter, generally believe Stalinists killed a hell of a lot of innocent people, so the question of containment was one of tactics.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

i argue in favor of things and people i support

meanwhile you're undermining yourself by trying to pretend the iraq war and the actions of antifa are p much the same thing. it's p sad

yronic heroism posted:

And liberals, and some non-tankie leftists for that matter, generally believe Stalinists killed a hell of a lot of innocent people, so the question of containment was one of tactics.

yes, the vietnam war was the best way to prevent a hell of a lot of people from being killed :lol:

ditto installing saddam hussein :laffo:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 3, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

i argue in favor of things and people i support

meanwhile you're undermining yourself by trying to pretend the iraq war and the actions of antifa are p much the same thing. it's p sad

Especially considering how well trod the philosophical grounds are that "state action can be held to a different standard than individual or collective action."

One can give antifa a right to preemptively punch Nazis while denying that right to the state and be ideologically/philosophically consistent.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

yes, the vietnam war was the best way to prevent a hell of a lot of people from being killed :lol:

ditto installing saddam hussein :laffo:

Sounds like you support those things since sarcasm is not a thing anymore.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

Especially considering how well trod the philosophical grounds are that "state action can be held to a different standard than individual or collective action."

One can give antifa a right to preemptively punch Nazis while denying that right to the state and be ideologically/philosophically consistent.

Can we agree that the state should also punch nazis? Like, it should be a requirement for office. I want debate questions about how many nazis a candidate has punched in the face.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

the idea, that a distinction between defense and aggression is mere pedantry, is absolutely peak D&D 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can we agree that the state should also punch nazis? Like, it should be a requirement for office. I want debate questions about how many nazis a candidate has punched in the face.

Every centrist Clinton supporter I know on social media says exactly this, incidentally.

It's cheap grace at this point.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 3, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

thats a fair edit tbqh

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not at all. I don't think the police should be beating Nazis, that's a community job. For the same reason I oppose criminalizing speech, that's a social responsibility.

Giving the state, especially our state, more powers to brutalize preemptively is a bad thing. Because our cops are Nazis and they already twist ever law they can into a tool of community abuse, I have no doubt they'd do the same if they could arrest for criminal speech. That cop who made people, under threat of arrest for refusal to obey, repeat "I am on drugs" comes to mind.

Nazis thrive when the community lets them survive. I know a Nazi wouldn't dare walk around my community openly and it isn't because they're afraid of the cops. It is because the community wouldn't allow it.

Requiring candidate to have a Nazi-punching history before you vote for them, well that's back into the social realm.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Here's an idea. Just decide how you'll do your own loving slogans and tell them to put them on a loving gif or whatever. Don't let them tell you how they think it should go, because they don't know poo poo outside how to spread a message on twitter or facebook.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Here's an idea. Just decide how you'll do your own loving slogans and tell them to put them on a loving gif or whatever. Don't let them tell you how they think it should go, because they don't know poo poo outside how to spread a message on twitter or facebook.

You're vastly overestimating the technical, internet and meme savviness of most people who get into electoral politics. Like squarespace requires a consultant to help setup and maintain.

Campaign consultants are a good idea but the issue is no one in the mainstream Democrats get the Internet yet. They're still thinking piecemeal and with a "and digital" mindset rather than the Internet being as embedded in the campaign as it is in the world.

Also the cheap out answer is "hire whoever Bernie did."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Sounds like you support those things since sarcasm is not a thing anymore.

this is just sad yronic

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

What's sad is you dodging questions you don't want to answer.

Condiv posted:

Nazis are actually a threat, as they wish for genocide and mass murder, so antifa are defending others

Simple question: did Saddam wish for mass murder of Kurds or not? That is the criteria you set for "actually a threat."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbSn6o3ZMtw

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troma_Entertainment

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

punching nazis isn't preemption, it's reaction to political violence through genocidal rhetoric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

it's also extremely good to do

• Locked thread