Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sorry to double post, but I was wondering... If I used a leer cast and/or dying breath on an animated guardian, would my other minions be considered his allies and get the damage bonuses?

Is there a reason not to do this aside from losing the items? He has been surprisingly resilient so far and seems to keep his items from game to game. Would unsocketing the gem cause all items to be lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sorry to double post, but I was wondering... If I used a leer cast and/or dying breath on an animated guardian, would my other minions be considered his allies and get the damage bonuses?

Is there a reason not to do this aside from losing the items? He has been surprisingly resilient so far and seems to keep his items from game to game. Would unsocketing the gem cause all items to be lost?

Yeah items like those work on an animated guardian. Only reason not to do it is that summoners are often starved for gem links as is, and if you don't have a decent amount of life regen on your guardian they'll die pretty often.

Oh and casting Animate Guardian will summon your guardian if they're currently unsummoned, so there's no way to lose them besides them dying.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I have a couple interactions questions. As a wildstrike marauder my tooltip damage is confusing me.

It lists physical damage but wildstrike converts it all to a random element so i suppose that isn't accounted for. It also means the conversion bonus and all my passive bonuses to elemental damage aren't accounted for.

I think this means that when I try to compare dps changes for different jewels that isn't a fair assessment.

If the answer here is "use POB," i tried downloading the .zip but when I run the namesake file nothing seems to happen.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah Wild Strike's tooltip DPS is complete nonsense due to how the skill works. Not sure what to tell you if Path of Building doesn't work.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm legitimately confused at this point. I know they can't be frozen, but can Shaper/Guardians be chilled for long enough (with attacks or spells, not arctic armour) for hypothermia and ice bite to be effective gems?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have a couple interactions questions. As a wildstrike marauder my tooltip damage is confusing me.

It lists physical damage but wildstrike converts it all to a random element so i suppose that isn't accounted for. It also means the conversion bonus and all my passive bonuses to elemental damage aren't accounted for.

I think this means that when I try to compare dps changes for different jewels that isn't a fair assessment.

If the answer here is "use POB," i tried downloading the .zip but when I run the namesake file nothing seems to happen.

https://github.com/Openarl/PathOfBuilding/releases

Download the exe here.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Got it, thanks. Looks like I'm over 1M dps with flasks ups.

Edit: Also just realized my Atziri's Disfavor had no quality :lol:

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 3, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah Wild Strike's tooltip DPS is complete nonsense due to how the skill works. Not sure what to tell you if Path of Building doesn't work.

Pretty much all in-game tooltip DPS numbers are BS unless you're comparing like for like/changing one thing at a time. Just an FYI for those of you who are new.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Pretty much all in-game tooltip DPS numbers are BS unless you're comparing like for like/changing one thing at a time. Just an FYI for those of you who are new.

Glad to hear they kept the Diablo Lying Character Screen alive.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Got my first level 100 character (my first league was Legacy). Never doing another Beachhead

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Diddie posted:

Got my first level 100 character (my first league was Legacy). Never doing another Beachhead

I actually kind of enjoy Beachead... Granted I've only done 4 of them so far, but I've enjoyed them so far.

I'm started to get into Sextant'ing maps, and it's been a bit of a mixed bag. I'm trying to learn what makes for good combinations v. what doesn't. One strange thing that happened with one combination was that there were groups of mobs that would be fighting each other, and seemed to drop amazing currency loot when I killed them. I know that slipstreams was in the mod set, but can't remember the others. Anyone know what could have caused it?

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Enemies that convert when killed is one and there's one where nemesis monsters drop 3 additional currency items.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Ciaphas posted:

I'm legitimately confused at this point. I know they can't be frozen, but can Shaper/Guardians be chilled for long enough (with attacks or spells, not arctic armour) for hypothermia and ice bite to be effective gems?

Apparently you can, you just have to do enough damage per hit to chill. It's something like 100k per hit normally and 80k per hit with hypothermia. I just swapped out my hypothermia for ruthless (same DPS in path of building, with the exception that hypothermia's DPS was based on the mob being chilled) and fighting shaper felt about the same. I think i would have noticed a 40% increase in damage against him if hypothermia didn't work.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

Apparently you can, you just have to do enough damage per hit to chill. It's something like 100k per hit normally and 80k per hit with hypothermia. I just swapped out my hypothermia for ruthless (same DPS in path of building, with the exception that hypothermia's DPS was based on the mob being chilled) and fighting shaper felt about the same. I think i would have noticed a 40% increase in damage against him if hypothermia didn't work.

By my calculations you need 67301 damage to chill Shaper at the minimum 1% threshold. If you have 40% increased chill effect via the tree plus Hypothermia, that goes down to 48073. If you're not using Hypothermia and instead use Ruthless with 20% increased chill effect, then you need 26331 damage for your ruthless hits to chill. It's better to use both-- then you'd need 22570 on a non-ruthless hit.

...heh, looks like I can swap out edwa for ruthless to chill Shaper with my current gear. I was afraid I'd need to get new socket colors and drop cold pen for ruthless.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 3, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It never even occurred to me that chill effect would work in terms of whole number percentages. That would probably explain matters. I don't have the PoB anymore for when that character was Frost Blades (respecced to ele spectral throw for giggles) but I'm quite sure I wasn't hitting anything like those theoretical minimum chill thresholds on a per attack basis, no matter how you slice it.

Be careful with PoB kids :cry:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, there are other ways to ensure a chill against shaper. Vortex, Arctic Breath, aquamarine flask...

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Would like an invite to the guild when there is room. AOK_BF

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Diddie posted:

Enemies that convert when killed is one and there's one where nemesis monsters drop 3 additional currency items.

It's Hunted Traitors. Nemesis mobs drop 3 additional currency is only on red sextants now and is incredibly rare, because it's really overpowered.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Fuckin' finally, Sceptre Spectre and aura persistence is coming.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 3, 2017

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

As a terrible softcore scrub, I hope you keep your auras when you die, not just log out.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

whypick1 posted:

Fuckin' finally, Sceptre and aura persistence is coming.

Holy poo poo I thought this would never ever happen

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

As a terrible softcore scrub, I hope you keep your auras when you die, not just log out.

Wouldn't this open up a bug where you could reserve 100% of your health with blood magic, effectively hardcoring your character?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

Wouldn't this open up a bug where you could reserve 100% of your health with blood magic, effectively hardcoring your character?

The game won't let you reserve 100% of your life.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maybe time to finally level a spectre summoner. Still sounds like a bit naff to actually play though, even if they're powerful and persistent.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Somehow a bugged flask was created on standard.

Somebody on reddit actually bought it for 22ex. It gives the stats while in the flask slot, all the time. Doesn't scale with flask effectiveness mods, and it can be divined. Chris Wilson called it "interesting" and said not to spend any mirrors on it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe time to finally level a spectre summoner. Still sounds like a bit naff to actually play though, even if they're powerful and persistent.

yeah summoners can get p hectic if you want to use all of the offensive and defensive tools they get

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Picked up a cheap Terminus Est and finally got my flicker strike build rolling. It's a lot of fun so far, although I definitely need to up my critical strike chance to get it working more consistently. I think I'm also bottoming out on mana at times, not sure how to fix that.

Hoovering up loot after clearing half a map is a bit of a pain.

Edit: All the flickering broke the servers apparently, keep getting booted to the log-in screen

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 3, 2017

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Fuckin' finally, Sceptre and aura persistence is coming.

Will sceptres finally be worth using now that you don't have to replace them constantly?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

Will sceptres finally be worth using now that you don't have to replace them constantly?

Spectres are still annoying to find but they should be ok now that you don't lose 30 minutes every time you crash or die.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

J posted:

Somehow a bugged flask was created on standard.

Thanks. That's really interesting.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Flavahbeast posted:

please dont bully the dyslexic

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Awesome! posted:

please dont bully the dyslexic

...Oh goddammit.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Edit: All the flickering broke the servers apparently, keep getting booted to the log-in screen

same, but with this CWDT build

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know this isn't a big accomplishment anymore but I finally killed Shaper. The first attempt I wiped on his second phase, the second I managed to kill him with 2 portals left. That was super thrilling.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Does normal Atziri ever drop anything good? Three times now I've gotten Atziri's Promise. If not for the Vaal Pyramid map I got from a prophecy, this would have been a huge bust. I also nearly wiped because in my other two attempts, I never encountered the Atziri clone that reflects damage and had no idea what was killing me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doryani's is all right esp if you get a good roll, but the mortal fragments are the real prize

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Elentor posted:

I know this isn't a big accomplishment anymore but I finally killed Shaper. The first attempt I wiped on his second phase, the second I managed to kill him with 2 portals left. That was super thrilling.

Congrats! Harbinger is the first league I cleared Uber Lab, so I still have a ways to go

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You want to run atziri early in a league, when boots and flasks and scepters are most valuable. I remember selling bad rolled scepters for like 50c in week 3 or so, but sheer supply dropped them to like 7c now.

Another reason to run uber lab, treasure chests drop atziri fragments like candy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

You want to run atziri early in a league, when boots and flasks and scepters are most valuable. I remember selling bad rolled scepters for like 50c in week 3 or so, but sheer supply dropped them to like 7c now.

Another reason to run uber lab, treasure chests drop atziri fragments like candy.

Flasks are never worth anything. They go from a couple c to dozens of them taking up space in gstash over the course of a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I sold a shitload of flasks for like 1-2 chaos when I was running atziri heavily, and I wasn't even an early bird.