Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPp1GhuIP4o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

If it's the SAO Abridged guys I trust them, but I can't see the Abridged treatment working very well in a series that doesn't take itself very seriously.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I had no idea Abridged Series' were still relevant outside of DBZ and maybe YGO since it kinda started it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fargin Icehole posted:

Related note, The Something Witty guys released a sneak peak of the Abridged version of MHA, you just...you know, you just need to cough up 25 dollars or something for it, it's a patreon early bird reward. I was utterly blown away by Sword Art Online Abridged, and just like My Hero, I'm going into this whole thing blind. Unlike SAO though, I hear MHA is really really really good.

You know what? I'm not big on anime but... gently caress it, I think i'm going to watch My Hero. English dubbed too, why not, I hope it's good.

i tend to be a bit biased towards subs if only because it's what i usually hear first so i just get used to it. i heard the japanese for MHA first and the english a while later and i actually think the dub is better.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, this dub is fantastic. If you're going in blind, I'd say you're not missing anything by skipping the sub and going straight for the dub. If the dub wasn't a few weeks behind the sub, I'd be watching it exclusively.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I had no idea Abridged Series' were still relevant outside of DBZ and maybe YGO since it kinda started it.

most of them are extremely bad

except for Dub of the North Star

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Apparently it's still a pretty vibrant scene. Last year, TFS had an abridging contest and the finalists were (almost) all pretty good and worth watching.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This is a one-cour season, right? Just remembered and got sad.

Also, anime catcop is even better than manga catcop.

He's a tigger :3:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is a one-cour season, right? Just remembered and got sad.

Also, anime catcop is even better than manga catcop.

He's a tigger :3:
I bet money on a 2-cour third season. I did the math on the chapters we covered so far in season 2 and covering the same # of chapters ends on a pretty strong note.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Really hope it's 2-cour, yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm catching up on this after overlooking it when the first season aired

i'm liking it overall, but man, the ending of the bakugo vs. uraraka fight is lame as hell

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm catching up on this after overlooking it when the first season aired

i'm liking it overall, but man, the ending of the bakugo vs. uraraka fight is lame as hell
Uraraka kind of got Naruto'd there, didn't she?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i think that fight is good from a character perspective but imagine if the finale had been todoroki vs uraraka.

im glad the development we got tho. Still, even tho Todoroki visiting with his mom during with his mom rules, it's messed up he doesn't get to be in a slice of life scene with friends

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 3, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
We can only dream
:allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Moltrey posted:

i think that fight is good from a character perspective but imagine if the finale had been todoroki vs uraraka.

pretty much. the supporting cast owns so much i sometimes wish one of them were the protagonist

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

pretty much. the supporting cast owns so much i sometimes wish one of them were the protagonist
Ojiro (Kung-Fu Kangaroo) deserves his own series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Ojiro (Kung-Fu Kangaroo) deserves his own series.

i'd go with Tsu based purely on her power set

but then Todoroki has great drama, Iida is hilarious, Bakugo is an rear end in a top hat but has way more room for personal growth than Izuku...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I bet money on a 2-cour third season. I did the math on the chapters we covered so far in season 2 and covering the same # of chapters ends on a pretty strong note.

Yeah, after doing the same math myself, I would be very surprised if it's not a 2-cour.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like that it's sort of lampshaded when Midoriya thinks that Todoroki is much more of A Main Character type than he is and probably should have been the one to get One For All.

They're also not afraid to put Yaoyorozu front and center in the OP and on the volume cover despite her only having a little mini-arc even in a fight where a much bigger arc is happening. It gets compared a lot to early Naruto for a reason, with everyone getting screentime and feeling fleshed out and it's maybe the one thing I hope the manga keeps with.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh, you know who'd be fun as the protagonist? Mina Ashido. Good design and it would be interesting to see how she struggles with such a dangerous power that contrasts with her generally bubbly sort of personality.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mr. Fowl posted:

Oh, you know who'd be fun as the protagonist? Mina Ashido. Good design and it would be interesting to see how she struggles with such a dangerous power that contrasts with her generally bubbly sort of personality.

I've said it a million times and I will continue to say it: I would read/watch the hell out of a Mina-centric slice-of-life series. Heck, if you made it an anime you've already got the ED made :v:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CharlestonJew posted:

most of them are extremely bad

except for Dub of the North Star

Going in blind on the show proper, I went into SAO Abridged expecting 100% sex jokes like most abridged series, And what I got was a really strong and entertaining show where everything felt connected and I started rooting for every minor and major character because the writing was excellent. Also I played MMOs when I was a kid, that arrogant little poo poo Kirito reminds me of the most capable and anti-social WoW Rogue you've ever had in the guild.

Speaking of Dub of the North Star Episode 5 coming out this year? It's been awhile since i watched it.

Pakled posted:

Yeah, this dub is fantastic. If you're going in blind, I'd say you're not missing anything by skipping the sub and going straight for the dub. If the dub wasn't a few weeks behind the sub, I'd be watching it exclusively.

Saw the comparisons from that video posted earlier. Normally I would watch something subbed just because I grew up watching Toonami and poo poo, and that stuff was kinda embarrassing. I realize it's been at least two decades since then, so I like how some dubbers are now allowed some liberties to make the script and show flow better, so you don't get really weird awkward sentences.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
MHA does have a spin-off manga called Vigilantes, but it's about a group of new characters and it's set a few years before the main series. It's pretty good though, and I hope it gets an OVA or something someday. Knuckleduster rules.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why just switch the main character when we can change everyone!

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 3, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mina's power is hard to write around because even just sorta-burning people with weak acid is kinda hosed up so it'd mostly be Mina skating around on it punching people or using it to make people fall down or something.

I also liked the Uraraka vs Bakugou fight. Uraraka was insanely outclassed and floating Bakugou wouldn't have really helped IMO. It ended as well as it probably could have because the alternative to her just running out of gas was Bakugou just beating her rotten the old fashioned way.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Happy jumping Jiro is somewhat off-putting. I can't really articulate why, it just seems... Wrong.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Happy Jiro and Getting Ready To gently caress Up Someone And Stoked About it is relationship goals imo

I love Todoroki fully leaning into sad goth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tsuyu is literally :getin:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tsu and Tokoyami's exam was my favourite of the lot, that lad needs more screen time. Having said that at least Mineta got a chance to be a non-creeper (almost).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's some spoilers: Tokoyami owns.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Shinjobi posted:

Here's some spoilers: Tokoyami owns.

heh, but I knew that already

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I keep thinking "it's almost Saturday!" And then I get depressed

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Susano-maku da! posted:

oh

oh no

it took me a moment to process what you even meant by this.

:negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

gently caress.

:negative:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like the anime really didn't sell Uraraka about to murder a bitch for trying to mess with her friend.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's not really what she was doing though. She was just as scared and had no idea what was going on other than it being obviously wrong.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, she looks more terrified than murderous.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Relatedly, I really like how our crazy, damaged villain and our bubbly classmate have precisely the same power activation method. I wonder if that will ever get noted in dialogue.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah that's very much not what that emotion was. She realizes something is incredibly wrong and all she can think to do is stammer out a request. She doesn't even recognize who Shigaraki is due to being right near the entrance during USJ. She's more worried about Deku than anything, barely regarding Shigaraki when he walks right past her

Not that Ochako wouldnt throw down if she had to, but she just comes up to her crush crying with a creepy stranger's hand around his throat, Fighting is the last thing she's ready to do

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Crying in pain, because the dude is choking him out, that probably doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Susano-maku da! posted:

why would you do this :negative:

• Locked thread