Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im pretty sure its damage that gradually builds up bc apple is allergic to cable stress relief. how do you charge your iphone? i charge mine overnight on a horizontal surface with the lightning cable dangling down towards a power outlet (which is a pretty reasonable thing to do, imo). it also subjects the cable to small amounts of shearing stress which apparently makes apple cables gradually disintegrate

i do this, i also sometime splug the cable into my computer or a battery pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mad Wack posted:

checking in on my touchbar mac

still good

loving poo poo sucks

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
[quote="“Dixie Cretin Seaman”" post="“477026138”"]
every lightning cable i’ve ever had frayed within about a year, and both magsafe charge cables. never had anything happen to any other cable, including all manner of USB and power cables for PCs, and micro-USB cables used for charging kindles and an android phone.

im pretty sure its damage that gradually builds up bc apple is allergic to cable stress relief. how do you charge your iphone? i charge mine overnight on a horizontal surface with the lightning cable dangling down towards a power outlet (which is a pretty reasonable thing to do, imo). it also subjects the cable to small amounts of shearing stress which apparently makes apple cables gradually disintegrate
[/quote]

I do the same thing, but have never had the cables fray because I pull them out by the plug like a regular person instead of by the cable like an illiterate ape.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as long as you don't get your cables from apple they'll be fine.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It has nothing to do with it pulling apart from sheer force the cable jacket just disintegrates if UV or anything in a normal environment touches it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mad Wack posted:

checking in on my touchbar mac

still good

turn your computer over

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Anker is a better computer cable company than Apple

sad but true

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an anker that split recently, it probably lasted longer than the apple cable it replaced but it's not like they're indestructible

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

[quote="“qirex”" post="“477029155”"]
I had an anker that split recently, it probably lasted longer than the apple cable it replaced but it’s not like they’re indestructible
[/quote]

sure but I'll bet you it was at least 40% cheaper than equivalent Apple cable at the time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

sure but I'll bet you it was at least 40% cheaper than equivalent Apple cable at the time

the equivalent cable came with my ipad so it was either free or incredibly expensive depending on how you do the math

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

lightning: Introduced on September 12, 2012 when the iPhone 5 was launched.
usb-c: spec finalized in August 2014

i'm a little surprised that you actually worked at apple and somehow still believe they would ship iThings with open-standard connectors if given the chance. aside from a couple of ipod shuffles they've never done this, and this history (along with the other reasons i mentioned in previous post) makes me think that hmmmmmmm perhaps this is intentional

like i know apple loves to evangelize about "open" standards when it suits them but c'mon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
OG ipod and 2nd gen used bog-standard 6 pin firewire

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Doc Block posted:

I do the same thing, but have never had the cables fray because I pull them out by the plug like a regular person instead of by the cable like an illiterate ape.

there must be another factor i guess. but even if i were rough on my cables (im not) it wouldn't explain

power cables for nearly a dozen PC laptops? never frayed
serial, parallel, PS/2, USB, and proprietary cables for various mice, keyboards, external hard drives, printers? never frayed
mini/micro-USB charger cables for kindles, wireless headphones, and misc cheapo chinese gadgets? never frayed
charging cables for every cell phone i've owned before an iphone (including an android)? never frayed

30-pin ipod connectors? frayed over time with normal use
lightning connectors? frayed over time with normal use
mag-safe chargers? frayed over time with normal use

always frayed near the connector, which coincidentally have no stress relief

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

infernal machines posted:

OG ipod and 2nd gen used bog-standard 6 pin firewire

whoops forgot about this. but imo my point still stands

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

reminder that the touchbar is literally an embedded apple watch running watchOS with a long skinny screen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Lutha Mahtin”" post="“477030213”"]
i’m a little surprised that you actually worked at apple and somehow still believe they would ship iThings with open-standard connectors if given the chance. aside from a couple of ipod shuffles they’ve never done this, and this history (along with the other reasons i mentioned in previous post) makes me think that hmmmmmmm perhaps this is intentional

like i know apple loves to evangelize about “open” standards when it suits them but c’mon
[/quote]

I suppose you would be surprised to learn that we weren't just hunched around a dimly lit table, our fingertips pressed together, laughing at how we're going to screw the customers out of more money with dongles while singing the stonecutters song.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I suppose you would be surprised to learn that we weren't just hunched around a dimly lit table, our fingertips pressed together, laughing at how we're going to screw the customers out of more money with dongles while singing the stonecutters song.

nah. it was a brightly lit orgy suite, solid white with rose gold accents. you were laughing about about screwing the customers on flash storage upgrades, and everyone whose mouth wasn't fully occupied was singing karaoke from The Mandatory U2 Album

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Sagebrush”" post="“477034256”"]
reminder that the touchbar is literally an embedded apple watch running watchOS with a long skinny screen
[/quote]

this is less funny when you realize all this means is "it's running on apple's lightest weight OS on their lowest power SoC"

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i pretty much just use it to hit the "picture in picture" button while watching a video in safari

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

i was hardly being critical in the slightest and even pointed out the consumer benefit of "not wrecking this gadget i bought with some garbage AliExpress cable" but i do certainly apologize for piercing your incredibly thin skin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I'm imagining the hack jonny ives in his featureless void testing materials to see which work the worst.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

this is less funny when you realize all this means is "it's running on apple's lightest weight OS on their lowest power SoC"

no, that's not actually less funny, or stupid.

hey, check it out, your keyboard runs its own os, in aid of being worse than a regular keyboard

we call it "innovation"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

no, that's not actually less funny, or stupid.

hey, check it out, your keyboard runs its own os, in aid of being worse than a regular keyboard

we call it "innovation"

the touchbar is separate from the keyboard. the keyboard itself isn't running watchOS (or any OS).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“infernal machines”" post="“477036020”"]
no, that’s not actually less funny, or stupid.

we call it “innovation”
[/quote]

I would be surprised if a lot of keyboards didn't have a cortex m0+ or better running on freertos these days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

the touchbar is separate from the keyboard. the keyboard itself isn't running watchOS (or any OS).

it functionally replaces part of the keyboard and is attached to the keyboard. sperg out all you want, your keyboard runs macos for some reason

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

[quote="“Mad Wack”" post="“477035257”"]
i pretty much just use it to hit the “picture in picture” button while watching a video in safari
[/quote]

I didn't even know that

but it's easier to hit the button right there on the screen so why would I even look down

I refuse to believe anyone uses the video scrubbing bar instead of just using the touchpad and the screen

I gave this touch bar a serious chance but it's just been a long wet fart 💨

maybe I'm using it wrong

so how about those homepods

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can't fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren't being spoofed by malware.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but in your macbook

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can't fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren't being spoofed by malware.

that's a cool feature

it was necessary to replace the function-key row with this device because: :ins:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
what if, like, there wasn't a touchbar, but the power button was still a TouchID sensor??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“The Management”" post="“477037406”"]
the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can’t fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren’t being spoofed by malware.
[/quote]

cool

why can't we also have function keys

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

I would be surprised if a lot of keyboards didn't have a cortex m0+ or better running on freertos these days

they probably just put whatever microcontroller was cheapest that week.

but literally every PC keyboard since the original IBM PC keyboard has had a little microcontroller inside, so it's dumb to complain about a thing that's next to the keyboard having a little SoC that runs a stripped down OS with a secure enclave so it can be used for authentication. and if the touchbar is gonna be a thing, they've already got a pretty secure tiny SoC + secure enclave implementation, so why not use it?

like, I'll agree that the touchbar itself is dumb and mostly useless, but having an iWatch SoC run it isn't the dumb part.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
it's me, I'm the guy who presses the function keys on purpose and more than once every few months.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there's a lot of keyboards with dumb gimmicks in them (ie "gamer" poo poo) that probably aren't done with an 8051 anymore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

then again if you told me some bastardized 8051 variant was driving those lcds in Logitech keyboards I'd believe it because those things were put into products they didn't belong decades after better architectures were affordable

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

(the person relating the 8051 story would insist that I'm not a real programmer for using a C compiler and then walk away in disgust when I say actually it supports c++11)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

literally every PC keyboard since the original IBM PC keyboard has had a little microcontroller inside, so it's dumb to complain about a thing that's next to the keyboard having a little SoC that runs a stripped down OS

lol. you're gonna launch into orbit with that spin.

but no, it's dumb for like, all of the reasons.

it's an over-engineered gimmick that's worse than the thing it replaces

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 4, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

it's me, I'm the guy who presses the function keys on purpose and more than once every few months.

i press f5, f10 and f11 dozens of times a day, hundreds if i'm working on something complicated

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

is that you, the employed person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i mean, a person with a computer, really

• Locked thread