Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Warhammer 40,000. The grim darkness is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the horror will go over a typical reader’s head. There’s also Roboute’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these references, to realise that they’re not just grimdark- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike 40k truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the nihilism in Guilliman’s existential catchphrase “IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Mat Ward’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have an Ultramarines tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the Sisters’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Why.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

That's honestly the best case scenario with this sculpt tbh
You can actually do a fair amount with just a jeweler's saw. Cutting it at the waist and rotating the torso helps a lot and it's easy to repair any damage. It's also possible to cut out the head, turn it, and just gap fill with green stuff. I have three of the stupid things and after my first I tried to find simple ways to at least alter the pose. All of them may be more or less identical otherwise, but at least they aren't posed the exact same.

Can't do poo poo with the legs though. :v: At least not without a gross amount of effort.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Gilgameshback posted:

Well, you have to paint it, but a few of these will fill a table quickly:

https://ttcombat.com/collections/sci-fi-gothic-scenics/products/ruin-sector

Black primer and a quick grey and white dry brush will make it look like stone or concrete without much effort.

Ok yes that site is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for (and even in the U.K.) thanks!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Is that some sort of Rick and Morty thing that got re-used? I get that insufferable smell that I think of with that show's fanbase.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Can I use non gw conversion bits in gw models in getting stores / events?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mugaaz posted:

Can I use non gw conversion bits in gw models in getting stores / events?

Only if they’re super minimal, even then you might run into trouble depending on the manager.

A store in my city bans forgeworld because it would ‘take sales away from the store’ :hurr:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

Only if they’re super minimal, even then you might run into trouble depending on the manager.

A store in my city bans forgeworld because it would ‘take sales away from the store’ :hurr:

gently caress that, complain about that to GW corporate.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Please don't doxx me.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I want to talk about recasts. Where do I do that? I'm not even in the market to buy some, just want to talk to people who do it and find out if it made the hobby better for them. Is there a thread?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
That is like 5000 illegal

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I want to talk about recasts. Where do I do that? I'm not even in the market to buy some, just want to talk to people who do it and find out if it made the hobby better for them. Is there a thread?

It's considered the same as piracy and the mods don't, historically, like it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Not even in the surface level 'i know a guy who bought all recasts and they are lighter and smell like burning dogshit' commentary? Shame, I'm mostly wondering if it's really that prolific. I know a guy with a lot of resin, and I don't trust his collection at all. He is quick to assemble and basecoat stuff, and I suspect it's shonky.

How could I tell without checking his PayPal transactions?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Broken Record Talk posted:

DC area goon (live in Mt Vernon, VA and work in Bowie, MD - right by the GW there) definitely interested in a hamslam. Either as a host, or an attendee.

We live very near to each other. Let's hit the slam sector some time.

ANAmal.net posted:

That Ork Hunter is fuckin' dope, and the latest Badcast has me wanting to get some Space Buffmans.

I don't want a new army so I might have to convince people here to start a Shadow War campaign.

I'm changing my name to Space Buffman.

Corrode posted:

A happier solution would be squatting Tau entirely

This guy gets it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

There isn't, really. A lot of the casts these days are as good, and sometimes better than the original. Especially over time.

On the 40k Australia buy/swap communities, most of the items are recast. It's super, super common.

I don't personally buy it, because I don't play 30K and all my poo poo is metal.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Not even in the surface level 'i know a guy who bought all recasts and they are lighter and smell like burning dogshit' commentary? Shame, I'm mostly wondering if it's really that prolific. I know a guy with a lot of resin, and I don't trust his collection at all. He is quick to assemble and basecoat stuff, and I suspect it's shonky.

Have a hair sample tested for lead. If it comes back positive, he bought them from China.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If you purchase recast miniatures the FBI will deep-strike into your house dealing d3 mortal wounds

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Smash their toys with a hammer and compare the colors to official stuff.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

I have a couple. Pretty much only second hand and ebayed stuff where I didn't actually give a poo poo.

Generally there are bubbles, but good recasts are way better than finecast, but not as good as plastic.

If you want feedback from people who have actually gone through contacting the chinese recasters directly and doing large orders instead of second hand recasts got for bargin prices off ebay, there is a reddit for it called yoyhammer, and there are a lot of reviews of people's experiences already posted (as, obviously, it's not discussed on major forums, and people still want to be reassured that they will actually get their poo poo and it will be decent quality.) That is probably a good place to go if you're researching it.

Seriously, though, I'd avoid judging other people's buying. Who gives a poo poo if he bought it off a chinese recaster or not? Is he fun to play against?

E:That said, if he really cares about hiding it, the main signs (metal only models being plastic weight) or double mold lines will be pretty much undetectable.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

panascope posted:

I do this randomly at the FLGS just to be sure

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Felime posted:

Seriously, though, I'd avoid judging other people's buying. Who gives a poo poo if he bought it off a chinese recaster or not? Is he fun to play against?

It's less the judging, more the case of 'Is he robbing houses to buy this stuff, or just saving a bundle.' He's a good enough bloke to talk to+play against, but his economic situation doesn't really match up to 'owns thousands of dollars of forge world stuff' and I don't want to find out he's been murdered due to mob debts regarding his Ham spending.

chutche2 posted:

Have a hair sample tested for lead. If it comes back positive, he bought them from China.

I'm in a lovely small part of Australia, so FBI access is limited. Can I taste the hair for similar results?

panascope posted:

This is so simple, I can't believe I didnt consider this. Does GW sell an official mini smashing hammer, or should I get a knock off one?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get a recast one

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

goose willis posted:

Get a recast one

Will other players possibly smash my smashing hammer to determine authenticity

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If you don't even forge your own warhammer you're in the wrong hobby.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Make sure it isn't a recast hammer.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Having just listened to the latest episode of the 40K Badcast (while painting historicals, no less - hahaha, gently caress you!), I have to take issue with one of the comments about the "Catachan models." In point of fact, the original 40K Catachan minis are loving bad-rear end. I am speaking, of course, of the metal sculpts first done in the 90's (they are the same vintage as the other regiments like the Mordians, Tallarns, and Valhallans). They are beefy and buff and ridiculous in that delightfully 2nd Ed way. They also made loving fantastic penal legion troopers, for instance:

These should not be confused with the poorly-sculpted-and-even-more-poorly-fitting plastic Catachan kit, which I think all discerning observers will agree are derpy-as-gently caress and just generally awful. I feel it was remiss of our esteemed hosts to fail to draw said distinction.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Milotic posted:

Warboss is 68 pts with base loadout, is fluffy and fully customisable as one of your dudes fluff wise, you’re reaching a little on that one. Warboss on a bike won’t be in the Codex probably.

Bike boss will probably be in the Codex, because Kult of Speed is a thing.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

panascope posted:

If you don't even forge your own warhammer you're in the wrong hobby.

Well yeah thats step 1

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

Bike boss will probably be in the Codex, because Kult of Speed is a thing.

Unless they make a model for a warboss on a bike I give it a 50/50 it will be in.
Though there is one from forgeworld? Hmm.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ilor posted:

Having just listened to the latest episode of the 40K Badcast (while painting historicals, no less - hahaha, gently caress you!), I have to take issue with one of the comments about the "Catachan models." In point of fact, the original 40K Catachan minis are loving bad-rear end. I am speaking, of course, of the metal sculpts first done in the 90's (they are the same vintage as the other regiments like the Mordians, Tallarns, and Valhallans). They are beefy and buff and ridiculous in that delightfully 2nd Ed way. They also made loving fantastic penal legion troopers, for instance:

These should not be confused with the poorly-sculpted-and-even-more-poorly-fitting plastic Catachan kit, which I think all discerning observers will agree are derpy-as-gently caress and just generally awful. I feel it was remiss of our esteemed hosts to fail to draw said distinction.

I actually don't know how I missed talking about that since we're both such 90s IG fans. I love the metal Catachans, and the Cadians of the same era.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LordAba posted:

Unless they make a model for a warboss on a bike I give it a 50/50 it will be in.
Though there is one from forgeworld? Hmm.

Yeah, FW does a generic one and Zhadsnark. I prefer third party bikes, but then my local shops are stupid about wysiwyg and GW models so less chance of being able to actually use them has me doing a small Primaris force and waiting and seeing on Orks.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

It's less the judging, more the case of 'Is he robbing houses to buy this stuff, or just saving a bundle.' He's a good enough bloke to talk to+play against, but his economic situation doesn't really match up to 'owns thousands of dollars of forge world stuff' and I don't want to find out he's been murdered due to mob debts regarding his Ham spending.

I'm in a lovely small part of Australia, so FBI access is limited. Can I taste the hair for similar results?

This is so simple, I can't believe I didnt consider this. Does GW sell an official mini smashing hammer, or should I get a knock off one?

There is also the option of asking. Depending how good a friend you are. "Hey dude, everything cool? I don't want you to be selling your kidneys for nerd cred." or "Hey dude? Are those, uuuh, recast? I've always been curious how that works."

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Just approach him and say "I want to talk about recasts. Where do I do that? I'm not even in the market to buy some, just want to talk to people who do it and find out if it made the hobby better for them. Is there a thread?"

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Working on a Morty for my sick dudes at the moment, should be taking him out for a spin In a game on the weekend. Will be keen to see if I need to bother converting up some deathshrouds to soak wounds for him or not. This model is huge and is only about 50% done currently, it's kicking my lazy painting rear end :cry:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It's in the codex too, on page 6. "Grim processions of soldiers stride in perfect unison, each one a disturbing fusion of man and machine. Behind them stomp soulless automata, golems of metal from ancient times. Vehicles move in support, some lurching on mechanized legs, others grinding on tracks."

OH REALLY!? WHICH loving ONES!?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Gigantic kataphrons

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chutche2 posted:

Gigantic kataphrons

Knights standing on Kataphrons.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not even joking, I would absolutely buy a giant Kataphron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Not even joking, I would absolutely buy a giant Kataphron.

https://www.amazon.com/Gundam-RX-75-Guntank-100-Scale/dp/B002K74NUY