Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

what was the fallout from the last time the complete PII of every voting-age adult in the states was published, anyway

i got a new high score in the number of different lists that came up in haveibeenpwned and two whole years of free worthless credit monitoring that didn't detect some laughably obvious identity theft

or did you mean to the companies who actually caused it? nothing lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ate all the Oreos posted:

i got a new high score in the number of different lists that came up in haveibeenpwned and two whole years of free worthless credit monitoring that didn't detect some laughably obvious identity theft

or did you mean to the companies who actually caused it? nothing lmao

hm apparently deep root got sued

quote:

Deep Root Analytics, a data firm contracted by the RNC, stored details of about 61% of the US population on an Amazon cloud server without password protection for roughly two weeks before it was discovered by security researcher Chris Vickery on June 12.

The class-action lawsuit, filed by James and Linda McAleer of Florida and all others similarly situated, alleges Deep Root failed to "secure and safeguard the public's personally identifiable information such as names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, reddit.com browsing history, and voter ID number, which Deep Root collected from many sources, including the Republican National Committee."

The data exposed by Deep Root included 1.1 terabytes "of entirely unsecured personal information" compiled by Deep Root and at least two other Republican contractors, TargetPoint Consulting, Inc., and Data Trust, according to an analysis from the cybersecurity firm UpGuard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm looking forward to the half-off coupon I can use in my next election as a result of that lawsuit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my friend had a promotion held up for two months because the background check agency used thought he had an arrest record because... someone in a completely different state, 15 years older than him and with a different first AND last name came up somehow. they still required him to appeal it and gather evidence that no, he hadn't ever lived in the midwest and definitely didn't time travel and yes this is in fact his name it is the one that was written on the loving form that you were supposed to check

like how do you even gently caress up that badly :psyduck:

e: oh and they didn't tell him any of this at first, just that YOU HAVE AN ARREST RECORD, you have to actually get the background check results (which costs money iirc) and dispute them specifically, because gently caress you

There's not always a charge at least. when I filled out a background check form for my last job there was a checkbox to get a free copy. i think it was the law in Minnesota

it was extremely cursory - just asking the previous states I lived in if I was a felon

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

part 2 is up: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/over-air-vol-2-pt-2-exploiting-wi-fi.html

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

iirc the background check company listed "known aliases" as blank but who knows if that's accurate since nothing else they did was accurate

e: also his name is real weird so if the guy did he either stole his identity (which seems unlikely since there's no other evidence of that) or randomly picked a super weird name

I am also known by the state as "'Horny Man' Travis", you may have read about me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i know you're all thinking that some c-levels at equifax are going to be on the hook for all thi....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/3/16410806/equifax-ceo-blame-breach-patch-congress-testimony

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i know you're all thinking that some c-levels at equifax are going to be on the hook for all thi....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/3/16410806/equifax-ceo-blame-breach-patch-congress-testimony

it's interesting that a republican is complaining that there aren't sufficiently persuasive consequences for breaches like this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

it's interesting that a republican is complaining that there aren't sufficiently persuasive consequences for breaches like this

well it effects him so of course he cares

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ggreeneva/status/915305949228879872

well, it is a bit harder to do fraud when all your personal data is publicly accessible i guess? can't wait for the writeup once they lose all rather than just most taxpayer info.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/engadget/status/915310850981982209

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

well, it is a bit harder to do fraud when all your personal data is publicly accessible i guess? can't wait for the writeup once they lose all rather than just most taxpayer info.

hey, when literally every identity has been stolen, there's no point in committing identity theft any more. thanks, equifax (thanx)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What a loving dick. You can't just update struts, it needs to be compiled in.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol oops

https://www.wsj.com/articles/yahoo-triples-estimate-of-breached-accounts-to-3-billion-1507062804

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Truga posted:

"well, they're verifying the data for us, not protecting it" - IRS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
loving lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Come on guys, no one believes you even have that many.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I totally believe they have that many accounts.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Subjunctive posted:

at some point the hackers are just gonna be breaching each others spambot accounts

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

yeah as a reminder a ton of isps and companies outsource their mail to yahoo, odds are you have an account on there and didn't know it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe Verizon is throwing in some of their own accounts. like breach laundering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

[quote="“Wiggly Wayne DDS”" post="“477025344”"]
yeah as a reminder a ton of isps and companies outsource their mail to yahoo, odds are you have an account on there and didn’t know it
[/quote]

odds are that you have several

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

what was the fallout from the last time the complete PII of every voting-age adult in the states was published, anyway
idk which event you're talking about but many of those instances were from companies that simply purchased or acquired for free (which depends on state laws) the public voting records which all states must provide when asked (note that they do not record what your vote was, just whether you voted or not). of course by their nature they only cover people who have been registered voters.

that's how things like those mailings that mark whether you voted in past elections are possible.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
yahoo is a lot more than what you see on their main page and e-mail

they provide the apps for my stupid smart tv

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

they do, yahoo was the contracted email provider for tons of isps on top of all their many existing services, most of which are things they bought with their own account systems and many of which were never converted to unified yahoo ids. it'd be pretty easy for a single person to have a total of 5-10 user accounts that yahoo could end up having leaked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
remember when sarah palin had a personal yahoo address that she conducted business out of

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/915331146908618755

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Public-Private no-bid Partnerships are great. Looking forward to the formalization of the corporate state.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

my favorite part was that it sounded like he was all "gosh i wish someone would make a law to punish companies that do that, but what can ya do :shrug:"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

There was a whole bunch of people who are responsible for this, you lying sack. Trying to pin this on ONE person is lovely.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

There was a whole bunch of people who are responsible for this, you lying sack. Trying to pin this on ONE person is lovely.

no it was just one rogue engineer! i totally heard him walking around the office loudly yelling HA HA HA THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET MY BONER ROCK HARD IS BY LIVING ON THE EDGE AND NEVER PATCHING SOFTWARE!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT PEOPLE'S DATA AND HITLER HAD GOOD IDEAS! HAIL SATAN

i tried to stop him but i'm just a good honest american christian CEO, what could i have done???

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

my friend had a promotion held up for two months because the background check agency used thought he had an arrest record because... someone in a completely different state, 15 years older than him and with a different first AND last name came up somehow. they still required him to appeal it and gather evidence that no, he hadn't ever lived in the midwest and definitely didn't time travel and yes this is in fact his name it is the one that was written on the loving form that you were supposed to check

e: oh and they didn't tell him any of this at first, just that YOU HAVE AN ARREST RECORD, you have to actually get the background check results (which costs money iirc) and dispute them specifically, because gently caress you

Your friend must live in a lovely state. In MN I just hit the "send me my background check" checkbox and call it a day.

EDIT: Beaten

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 4, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

no it was just one rogue engineer! i totally heard him walking around the office loudly yelling HA HA HA THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET MY BONER ROCK HARD IS BY LIVING ON THE EDGE AND NEVER PATCHING SOFTWARE!!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT PEOPLE'S DATA AND HITLER HAD GOOD IDEAS! HAIL SATAN

i tried to stop him but i'm just a good honest american christian CEO, what could i have done???

Equifax hired James Damore?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fishmech posted:

idk which event you're talking about but many of those instances were from companies that simply purchased or acquired for free (which depends on state laws) the public voting records which all states must provide when asked (note that they do not record what your vote was, just whether you voted or not). of course by their nature they only cover people who have been registered voters.

that's how things like those mailings that mark whether you voted in past elections are possible.

i'm on about the GOP breach

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think i live in one of the only US states that for any background check done by landlord/employer/etc it's required they give you a copy of the report for free (if you ask for it)

i also had wrong info on one of my reports at one point, it had a credit card account of a relative of mine that at the time they were doing the whole "strategic nonpayment" thing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
background checks are a violation of privacy. any company peddling in PII should have their executive board and their families arrested and estate wealth redistributed.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
background checks are required for doing business with any government entities.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

What a loving dick. You can't just update struts, it needs to be compiled in.

Since he's there no mo could the computer toucher sue him for slander on public record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

Since he's there no mo could the computer toucher sue him for slander on public record?
i don't think anyone was named so probably not

• Locked thread