Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Bruceski posted:

I was in the same camp. It's a good camp, we have marshmallows and everything.

You meant "marsh-melons"

e: and I meant to quote not edit

e2: actually I meant to quote not post, but NOW I'm editing... gently caress each and every one of you :v:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Man, the anti-Macfarlane sentiment runs pretty strong with a lot of people. I had to convince several friends that they should watch Orville despite his involvement, and everyone liked it "despite Seth's involvement."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought the last episode was pretty ok. Not exactly a novel plot but they handled it fine. The jokes were less frequent and bad and the whole ice cream scene was very relateable

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Man, the anti-Macfarlane sentiment runs pretty strong with a lot of people. I had to convince several friends that they should watch Orville despite his involvement, and everyone liked it "despite Seth's involvement."

He went pretty rote and made some big stinkers in recent years so people were just worried we would see a repeat of that.

I think the fact this is just straight up optimistic helps soothe a lot of tensions though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

He works much better when he's doing VA work or has another actor be his puppet. He himself is a terrible actor and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone write themselves into their show and had it been good. In a cameo; that's fine sometimes, but it's almost never good as the lead. Seth himself is wooden as poo poo, and doesn't emote very well. He delivers his lines well vocally but doesn't use his body very well and facially is blank a lot of the time.

And that speaks nothing to his body of work over the last few years that would make you not want to watch something he's been involved in either.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PaybackJack posted:

He works much better when he's doing VA work or has another actor be his puppet. He himself is a terrible actor and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone write themselves into their show and had it been good. In a cameo; that's fine sometimes, but it's almost never good as the lead. Seth himself is wooden as poo poo, and doesn't emote very well. He delivers his lines well vocally but doesn't use his body very well and facially is blank a lot of the time.

And that speaks nothing to his body of work over the last few years that would make you not want to watch something he's been involved in either.

He's perfect as a "Trek" captain, then.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

eyebeem posted:

He's perfect as a "Trek" captain, then.

The majority of previous Trek captains were theater actors so if you're going to accuse them of anything it would be that they're over-actors not that they're too wooden.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched this thing over the weekend and I can't believe how many strong feelings it engenders. It's fine, not perfect, they need to work on integrating the tone better between the humor and drama, but it's sure as poo poo better than any of the other Trek series first seasons. You wonder if TNG had premiered in an era where every episode was exhaustive dissected and rated by professional critics and internet posters if it would've gotten a second season.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it's passable as an inferior "new TNG," while being better than season 1 TNG. It's good enough to put a smile on my face and satisfy the itch.

More than I can say for Discovery, during which I fell asleep on the couch.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

I watched this thing over the weekend and I can't believe how many strong feelings it engenders. It's fine, not perfect, they need to work on integrating the tone better between the humor and drama, but it's sure as poo poo better than any of the other Trek series first seasons. You wonder if TNG had premiered in an era where every episode was exhaustive dissected and rated by professional critics and internet posters if it would've gotten a second season.

It's less about the critical analysis and more about the television entertainment market of the time. There were much fewer options to have to compete against, both on and off the television. A lot of people did not have cable in the late 80s, there was no such thing as a World Wide Web, and video games were relatively primitive.

TNG then got the extra bonus of being sold direct to syndication, where local station managers could run the show at whatever time suit them best. TOS got big in the 70s after someone caught on to the trick of running Star Trek when everyone else in broadcast range was doing the evening news. As long as the local stations were happy with viewership and kept paying, Paramount could care less how the show fared in raw numbers against other channels, because there was no national network breathing down their neck about ad rates.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

slave to my cravings posted:

I watched all four episodes of the Orville and then saw the intro to Star Trek discovery and I immediately knew that the Orville was going to be a million times better.

What is this trash. This is some jj Abrams rear end bullshit Trek. Suck my dick cbs.

That's one of the things that put me off Discovery. I do enjoy the Abrams films, but when I look at the aesthetic and tone Discovery's using, that says Abramsverse to me more than Roddenberry and considering Discovery's set something like ten years before TOS, it just doesn't click with me on how things are going to go from Discovery's look to TOS era, same with the Klingons look. I know it sounds like I'm just being the standard pedantic sperg, but it's little things like that which just combined throw things off for me. At least ENT made a decent enough attempt to connect the distance. And I know there's always going to be some degree of disconnect just because of what was possible in the 60s for a sci-fi show compared to now, but if they're going to make a big deal of making references, why skip something pretty visible like the sets aesthetic and aliens look?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Q_res posted:

I've always kind of wanted to see a Sci-Fi show where humans are the hardcore warrior race that scares the poo poo out of reasonable, polite races. But I would definitely take this as an option.

Deep Space Nine. Humans to the Ferengi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seth acting is normally The Whitest Kid U Know but I actually think he's doing great in this. He's not as bland as usual, and what blandness he does have is appropriate for the role.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zesty posted:

Yeah there's a good scene where quark is hole up with his family and a bunch of humans and has to warn them that when you take away the stability and creature comforts from humans they can turn out far more savage and dangerous than any klingon so watch the gently caress out for humans because there's monsters in there.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I want to point out earlier that, somewhere in this thread, I saw someone complaining about episode 3 because "we don't know if being female is actually a deformity for that species because not enough was examined about their biology and reproduction." I'd like to retort that by saying that that was simply "not the point." The episode is an allegory about how men in our actual, real society have and do view women as inferior to men, as if it were a deformity, and that societies have existed periodically throughout human history where they kill female babies because of this. A lot of you may be thinking of China under the one-child policy (now two-child policy), but there are historical examples. For example, the Quran included a section specifically on forbidding the practice of killing babies because they were born female since it was a practice in the region at the time of the religion's founding that. There are more historical examples I can provide.

So, to summarize, the point of the episode simply needs to, through metaphor, show the absurdity of the notion that women are inferior to men as well as shed a light on how inhumanly humans have historically treated women. The intricacies of Bortus' reproduction systems and how women work biologically in his species is actually irrelevant to the tale being told.

Some criticize the fact that most of the comparisons were made between Moclan men and women of different species and, while somewhat valid, misses the point that the episode was trying to speak out against sexism as a general concept and, it's worth remembering, it did end the trial with a Moclan female showing that she could accomplish great things in her life and that her sex was neither a source of sorrow or a disability, as Moclans believe.

That said, the focus on physical strength was a little cliched. I get it, there are still many men nowadays who believe they are stronger than any women regardless of physical activity, etc. and they even make allusions to this with the repeated joke of "can you open this jar of pickles for me" with Ed and Alara, but it's still kind of...reductive? Yes, reductive, let's use that word.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The strength of that episode came from the fact that the dilemma presented didn't map exactly onto any real world issue yet has similarities to multiple

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trek has historically always used aliens as stand-ins for other human cultures/nations. There's been this unspoken assumption that all humanoids are the same deep down other than the odd special ability here or there but all species are fundamentally equal. Once you are a "person" alien you're a person, and a person is a person regardless. That alien species that is racist needs to learn from humans that this is wrong and it doesn't matter what side of your face is white, those sexist aliens need to learn that the other gender aren't slaved or property, because those other aliens are essentially just humans so human ethics apply.

But what you don't often see in scifi are aliens that actually are totally alien and human ethics don't necessarily apply, where huge differences in biology and the way our brains work result in totally different ethical and social norms. Would a race of sapient robots that can upload, backup, fork, and merge their minds and thus have a totally different concept of death need humans getting morally outraged on their behalf when some are ordered on an important suicide mission, or left behind on some dangerous planet? Would a symbiotic alien society led by physically weak but hyper intelligent aliens that benevolently but paternally ruled over a dumb but strong and hard working worker race need a lecture on equality and how caste systems are wrong? What about a species with extreme sexual dimorphism, do they need lectures on gender equality?

But then that loops back to asking what the point of the show is. To explore purely academic but interesting scifi questions with no bearing on today's society but with huge room for people to misinterpret the message that "racism is ok if the science backs it up!" , or to use the setting to explore and address important human issues?

Also episode 3 is entirely about circumcision and nothing else, clearly.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 3, 2017

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

precision posted:

Seth acting is normally The Whitest Kid U Know but I actually think he's doing great in this. He's not as bland as usual, and what blandness he does have is appropriate for the role.

He seemed genuinely pissed at Bortus asking about the sex change in "About a Girl". I was kind of shocked because it was the first time I've seen him effectively do anything but smug.

cheetah7071 posted:

The strength of that episode came from the fact that the dilemma presented didn't map exactly onto any real world issue yet has similarities to multiple

Which seemed to piss off reviewers who insisted on mapping it 1:1 to transgender issues. I thought it was strange, too.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 3, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Zesty posted:

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah there's a good scene where quark is hole up with his family and a bunch of humans and has to warn them that when you take away the stability and creature comforts from humans they can turn out far more savage and dangerous than any klingon so watch the gently caress out for humans because there's monsters in there.

Siege of AR-558. Great episode and a great monologue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Q_res posted:

Siege of AR-558. Great episode and a great monologue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2SHNqkjbY

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Epicurius posted:

Well, Worf has his workout program where he kills skeletons or whatever they are, and Picard had that noir detective thing. But you're right. Lieutenant Barclay's sex fantasies aside, nobody in TNG uses the holodeck for much exciting.

There is a really awkward forgotten moment in early TNG that implied Worf also fucks his way through the skeleton-fighting program. (He says something about his programs getting "intimate.")

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There is a really awkward forgotten moment in early TNG that implied Worf also fucks his way through the skeleton-fighting program. (He says something about his programs getting "intimate.")

When you are disarmed, which in Klingon parlance means your arms are gone, you go with whatever weapon is handy

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

When you are disarmed, which in Klingon parlance means your arms are gone, you go with whatever weapon is handy

qock'LETH

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I love this show. The beats are so beautifully TNG. I hate Seth MacFarlans stupid face but every time he does the thoughtful expression as dramatic music plays and they fade to commercials, gently caress me if I don't get flashbacks to the other star trek captains. Who voices the robot?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 4, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I love this show. Who voices the robot?

Mark Jackson

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mark Jackson voices (also is in the suit).

Not to be confused with Marc Evan Jackson, Marshall on Mars

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I hope in his episode he undergoes a robosurgery where they get rid of his weird, plastic looking egg head, it looks cheap and bad and seems like a waste of a face.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Man, now I want them to do a space cowboy planet episode with Marc Evan Jackson guest starring.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I hope in his episode he undergoes a robosurgery where they get rid of his weird, plastic looking egg head, it looks cheap and bad and seems like a waste of a face.

I love it, it's so 90s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was really bad, even in the 90s. That was like a 50s robot head.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

I like it. It feels intentionally low-budget sci-fi despite this being a high budget series.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That reminds me of what I thought the other night, that this is not just an homage to '90s Trek, although that's mostly it, but to some of the other genre TV of that time as well, especially the lower budget schlocky fare like Hercules and Xena and so on. At least that's the feel I get from it, like it's mashing up the plots and drama of Trek with the totally not taking itself seriously attitude of those shows.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I want to suck Seth MacFarlan's dick for making this show.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to be more upset about this getting cancelled than Firefly.

It's inferior to Firefly in basically every way, yet better at the same time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well his name is Isaac, I'm pretty sure he's supposed to look like a 50s robot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Union probably gave him that name through some Ellis Island poo poo. "What's your name?" "Unit 3453671342J6QPDL72-J" "Uh, it's Isaac now. NEXT!"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cojawfee posted:

The Union probably gave him that name through some Ellis Island poo poo. "What's your name?" "Unit 3453671342J6QPDL72-J" "Uh, it's Isaac now. NEXT!"

Unit *dial-up modem noises* could be hilarious.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I guess what I'm really saying is that Mark Jackson is a beautiful man and it's a shame to hide his elfish good looks inside a giant easter egg

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mark Jackson voices (also is in the suit).

No, not a Kaylon, he's... from Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been trying to think of an "abort us" / "bortus" who's on first routine but I can't

Seth Mcfarland's best moment in the series so far is when that one bortus in episode 3 wanted to take Orville Bortus and Klyden on his ship and Mcfarland told him to gently caress off. That was the kind of captaining you can really get behind