Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Former Human posted:

Yeah KOAB had a wealthy father and grew up in a nice area with a good education, which makes it all the more obnoxious when he tries to sound as "street" as possible.

I thought his father was a professor. But who knows if I'm remembering anything correctly.

And props to Sarah Silverman. Good for her. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

tpink posted:

I haven't listened to that yet, what was Howard's reaction?

He was probably on the phone to his therapist booking an emergency session as soon as possible.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Jason also came in and did an underhanded dig at Howard about not criticizing Trump last week. I think Howard feels he's in a no win situation when it comes to Trump. Maybe feels some loyalty to Trump since he's had Trump on the show so many times over the years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MrMidnight posted:

Jason also came in and did an underhanded dig at Howard about not criticizing Trump last week. I think Howard feels he's in a no win situation when it comes to Trump. Maybe feels some loyalty to Trump since he's had Trump on the show so many times over the years.

He refused to release tapes of his interviews with Trump over the years back during the campaign last year. Said it was because of "friendship". :rolleye:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'm reminded of the show after Howard came back from his wedding and he accused Trump of leaking the time & location of the ceremony to the press, as he wouldn't want to go somewhere if the press weren't there to film it. Great friend!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MrMidnight posted:

Not to mention all the people who appeared on The Apprentice.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I agree with Sarah but she came off soooooo whiney and it ruined the entire "interview". It was, by far, the worst interview of the year and that's saying a lot.

She does have a point though. Howard tows a line in regards to Trump. The most he does is questions like, "I wonder what he's thinking when he says that?" or "Why would he do that? That's strange." In the past he'd call people out for being a delusional nutcase if they as much as said they liked something that Howard didn't like. Now, Trump does a lot that we know Howard hates and he won't really speak a bad word about the guy. It's so strange.

MrMidnight posted:

Now this was perfect. They started to make fun of Jason for tweeting about Trump and he came in and said, "Robin, you've got no room to speak about Twitter, have you seen the wacky poo poo that is posted on yours?" And then went on to say, "I think it's more respectable to openly speak out about my dislike for Trump than it is to say one thing behind closed doors and another thing in public." and Howard lost his poo poo. He immediately did that, "BYE!" thing he does when he kicks Benjy out of the studio. He kicked Jason out and then went on and on about it and it even bled into the commercials. Jason came in swinging.

Moniker fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 3, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He said , to me credibly , that he doesn't want his show to be about trump because everywhere else is just inundated with trump trump trump trump

I believe him . I can why people would not

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

euphronius posted:

He said , to me credibly , that he doesn't want his show to be about trump because everywhere else is just inundated with trump trump trump trump

I don't believe him at all. I'm not some Stern conspiracy theorist. I really think he's actively trying not to be overly critical while at the same time not speaking out in support of him. There are at least 5-10 times he's been asked direct questions and he hardly gives a direct answer.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

euphronius posted:

He had no issue making his entire show anti-Bush and anti-Republican when Michael Powell and the FCC started up against him. Howard tends to forget this piece of history, but he was incredibly pro-Bush until that happened.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
For the FCC thing, they came after him pretty directly while turning a blind eye to others. I can't blame him for combating it on the show. For the Trump thing, I actually understand why he tries not to rabbit hole too much about it. Talk radio is effectively only sports or political talk. He will never fall in to sports, but because politics run the news right now, it would be super easy to fall in to a routine of political talk and make the show just boring. Talking about it is unavoidable, but I actually appreciate that while he does share some of his political views, he isn't using the show as some sort of soapbox. Eventually he just needs to get back to fart jokes and stories about his parents.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I bet y'all computers is beige

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Was it Big Black that wound up in a homeless shelter at one point with like 50k in credit card debt?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The fact that Howard actually knows Trump and is (was?) friends with him makes his opinions on the matter more interesting than 99% of the radio pundits/journalists out there. How many of them can say that they've hung out with Trump personally?

Howard had no problem making GBS threads all over Bush and Obama whenever they did something that pissed him off. The silence about Trump says far more about Howard's personality & priorities than any condemnation/support would.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Lifespan posted:

For the FCC thing, they came after him pretty directly while turning a blind eye to others. I can't blame him for combating it on the show. For the Trump thing, I actually understand why he tries not to rabbit hole too much about it. Talk radio is effectively only sports or political talk. He will never fall in to sports, but because politics run the news right now, it would be super easy to fall in to a routine of political talk and make the show just boring. Talking about it is unavoidable, but I actually appreciate that while he does share some of his political views, he isn't using the show as some sort of soapbox. Eventually he just needs to get back to fart jokes and stories about his parents.

And apparently cocks for a whole month.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Former Human posted:

Total respect to Sarah Silverman for calling out Howard to his face on not criticizing Trump, only talking about "rich guy poo poo", and generally doing a low-effort show anymore.

i really hate Sarah Silverman, but this intrigues me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The fact that Howard actually knows Trump and is (was?) friends with him makes his opinions on the matter more interesting than 99% of the radio pundits/journalists out there. How many of them can say that they've hung out with Trump personally?

Howard had no problem making GBS threads all over Bush and Obama whenever they did something that pissed him off. The silence about Trump says far more about Howard's personality & priorities than any condemnation/support would.

No Marci Turk back then.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Old rich white guys having each other's backs? That's crazy

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Howard will rant about Trump when he says something blatantly negative about Israel

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I understand too. But the fact is he lies about it and pretends like he's incredibly critical of him which is disingenuous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Howard was anti trump all through the election

His interview with Whitney Cummings was very good I thought . He def matched and understood her level of crazy

Some of her roast jokes were hilarious

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

euphronius posted:

Howard was anti trump all through the election

His interview with Whitney Cummings was very good I thought . He def matched and understood her level of crazy

Some of her roast jokes were hilarious

I know it's semantics but I'd say being pro-Hillary and not anti-Trump if that makes sense. And yes, I agree, it was a great interview but I'm not surprised as they hang out pretty frequently and she and Beth are very good friends.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Moniker posted:

I know it's semantics but I'd say being pro-Hillary and not anti-Trump if that makes sense. And yes, I agree, it was a great interview but I'm not surprised as they hang out pretty frequently and she and Beth are very good friends.

He criticized trump
I don't want to get into a long drawn out fight so ok it's up to your opinion.

I don't really know who Beth is since she's never on the radio so it's hard for me to judge

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

euphronius posted:

He criticized trump
I don't want to get into a long drawn out fight so ok it's up to your opinion.

I don't really know who Beth is since she's never on the radio so it's hard for me to judge

...Beth his wife? Can you give examples of hard hitting Trump criticism similar to anything in the last 5 years?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have you met her ? How do you know who she is ?

He criticized the crap out of trump all 2016

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

euphronius posted:

Okay. What do you do for a living?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I listen to Howard stern for a living

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

euphronius posted:

Nah. Literally the first time I can recall any actual criticism from him on Trump was when Trump did the "there's bad people on both sides" thing. Stern treated Trump with kid gloves all through the election. He said he was for Hillary several times, but that's a far cry from actively criticizing Trump.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sand Monster posted:

He had no issue making his entire show anti-Bush and anti-Republican when Michael Powell and the FCC started up against him. Howard tends to forget this piece of history, but he was incredibly pro-Bush until that happened.

I have always lol'd my rear end off at the terribleness of republican presidents in my lifetime, but at this stage I'm incredibly pro-Bush now that I know what having Dotard J Tromp as president is like. So I guess perspective can change.

Nixon
Ford
Reagan
Reagan
GHW Bush
Dubya
Dubya
LMAO

like, what the gently caress is next, how can you get exponentially worse at such a quick rate?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

tpink posted:

Nah. Literally the first time I can recall any actual criticism from him on Trump was when Trump did the "there's bad people on both sides" thing. Stern treated Trump with kid gloves all through the election. He said he was for Hillary several times, but that's a far cry from actively criticizing Trump.

Agreed. Everything before that was "I wonder what's going through his mind" and that's it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

euphronius posted:

I listen to Howard stern for a living

MarksFriggin's account spotted

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

tpink posted:

Yeah. Criticism? No way. He hasn't come even remotely close. And again, this is particularly evident when you compare it to his anti-Bush stance (once Janet Jackson revealed her breast, at least). With Trump, Howard has pretty much just kept up a refrain of, "I don't know why he would want to be President".

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Howard also dodges criticism of Trump by saying "I just don't know enough about the issues to say something". He said that during the Sarah Silverman interview. That's the most disingenuous part to me.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm a week behind on show... so why isn't anyone talking about Ronnie detailed wish to be a woman for a day?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I'm a week behind on show... so why isn't anyone talking about Ronnie detailed wish to be a woman for a day?

I personally don't find it weird and think the staff is making it something more than it is. I've always thought about what a woman feels during sex and my without my prompting my wife has said the same thing about being a dude. It doesn't mean I'm attracted to men or she's attracted to women, it just means we're different and it's interesting. Ronnie is just an idiot and can't explain it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I have had that conversation with my wife as well... but a conversation and not actually interested in swapping bodies. He then took it even further by describing the two encounters he wanted and the relationships involved. It was definitely more than a passing curiosity, though him flipping out the second people started goofing on him is always great.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

He was also hypnotized and convinced he was a woman and he loved it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pussy Quipped posted:

He was also hypnotized and convinced he was a woman and he loved it.

Not for nothing, but he WAS on Cougartown, all dressed up.

Y'know, the part Eric didn't take because he wasn't an actor.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I have had that conversation with my wife as well... but a conversation and not actually interested in swapping bodies. He then took it even further by describing the two encounters he wanted and the relationships involved. It was definitely more than a passing curiosity, though him flipping out the second people started goofing on him is always great.

I don't know, I don't really see it as a big deal, so that's why I didn't post about it, personally. The staff is like "OMG YOU ARE GAY" which is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm Scoresman DAMMIT, and I'm about getting drunk, I'm about having fun, I'm about having a good time, I'm about meetin' GIRLS, I'm about meetin' GUYS, and whoever doesn't like it can go gently caress themselves. And that's what Scoresman is all about.