Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

IMO the internet discourse about Whedon is 100x worse than anything Whedon has ever done on the screen.

I mean, I was kind of trying to joke about that but I clearly miss fired terribly and pissed people off. So my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

IMO the internet discourse about Whedon is 100x worse than anything Whedon has ever done on the screen.

In other news, I'm still salty about Bates Motel and happy to continue blaming Rihanna.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Was she bad at acting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She was passable, which when acting across Highmore as Norman translates to poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
SO, how about that Ghosted?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Too many new shows, too little time ...

Life is hard!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always enjoy this part of the early season where I'm DVRing dozens of shows and then just wittle it down as I realize I don't actually care enough about most of them and I'll just catch up on them when I can binge them on Netflix or Hulu if I still care then.

Ghosted fell into that hole.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of I finished Exorcist season 1 last night (my dad suffered a brain injury last year and I couldn't handle watching Cameron from Ferris Bueller as a sad shadow of his former self, but my dad ended up relatively ok so I could go back) and it's a fully decent show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Exorcist as a plot and narrative was a solidly above average show, but the actual exorcism episodes in the middle of the season were really standout horror.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a sucker for stuff involving classic Catholic occultism and demonology.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, me too. I get a kick out of anything that plays competently with the idea of the Catholic Church knowing about the monsters/evil/demons and having a conspiracy to manage it and system in place. Exorcist S1 does a solid job with it and avoids getting too in the weeds or anything.

Has anyone seen Outcast? I was thinking of giving that a look this month and it seems similar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Exorcist as a plot and narrative was a solidly above average show, but the actual exorcism episodes in the middle of the season were really standout horror.

The first two episodes are grody as gently caress too. In fact (having binged it over the past 36 hours) the only part I thought didn't work very well was the stretch around episodes 6-8 where the family melodrama is both too focused on and not as well written as it had been.

Alan Ruck is phenomenal, as are the two leads and the two girls. I could have done without so many Jessica parts, I get that Tomas' temptation was necessary to the plot but there could have been more brevity to it

The only other problem I really have is that it's telegraphed way too hard that the rich people are Satanists. In contrast, going into it I didn't know the show was a legit sequel and did not see the bombshell that the mom was the girl in the original movie at all

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there were some pacing issues with Tomas' stuff and the grander conspiracy and the whole final act of the demon being exorcised from the daughter and instead going into the mom and revealing she's Regan and drawing in all that movie backstory and family drama was really interesting and fun but had an odd pace to it. But even in that stuff I really like the ideas behind it and what they tried to do so it helps pull the whole thing together.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 3, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just checked out the very beginning of the season premiere did they drop the whole Maria/evil Chicago officials stuff?

Also I only saw one season of Outcast but I liked it quite a bit. The comic is outstanding as well

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Outcast season 2 is good but then it ends on a cliffhanger then it gets canceled

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Gifted might be alright if they kill off the main four members of the family the show is about pretty quickly. Otherwise it's going to be a tough watch because they all suck.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

So how was Gifted

Gifted was pretty awesome. Took a Dump on Inhumans

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The Gifted might be alright if they kill off the main four members of the family the show is about pretty quickly. Otherwise it's going to be a tough watch because they all suck.

Is Amy Acker one of those four?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

It took me a minute to realize the daughter was Adam's first girlfriend on the Goldbergs.

I agree, it's like they came up with a decent alternate Earth X-Men story and also had a show about family drama and said hey let's put these two together! Also let's put battle Droids from Star Wars in it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

Outcast season 2 is good but then it ends on a cliffhanger then it gets canceled

Is this ever going to air on Cinemax? Between how bad they done this show and stupidly canceling Quarry wtf are hey thinking over there.

At least they got Banshee right.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nate fisher posted:

At least they got Banshee right.

Counterpoint: season 4 was loving terrible and made me actively angry.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have no idea man, I watched it....elsewhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm sad that Outcast got canceled so unceremoniously, but considering Robert Kirkman is total poo poo when it comes to writing endings for his stories it's probably for the best that the show ended early.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's weird. It wasn't as good as the others but it worked as a kind of epilogue to the show and as someone who loved the first 3 I can't imagine being so offended by it. Disappointed maybe, but I guess I don't get mad at tv shows

Anyway Discovery is really good but can anyone tell me if there's a good reason why it's a prequel? Either in universe or why they chose to do it that way? just seems mildly amusing that in 10 years they'll go from this super high tech futuristic type space ship to 1960s low budget tv style technology and sets. I mean the show could be the exact same production design etc and if they said its further in the future than any other show i'd buy it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wandle Cax posted:

That's weird. It wasn't as good as the others but it worked as a kind of epilogue to the show and as someone who loved the first 3 I can't imagine being so offended by it. Disappointed maybe, but I guess I don't get mad at tv shows

Anyway Discovery is really good but can anyone tell me if there's a good reason why it's a prequel? Either in universe or why they chose to do it that way? just seems mildly amusing that in 10 years they'll go from this super high tech futuristic type space ship to 1960s low budget tv style technology and sets. I mean the show could be the exact same production design etc and if they said its further in the future than any other show i'd buy it.

Probably because they don't want to be beholden to any continuity whatsoever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Prequel is the worst choice if you want to avoid continuity issues.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Black-ish season premiere is pretty good. it's a musical episode but not a typical one, it has children rapping about how Columbus was an evil man and a Schoolhouse Rock take-off of the origin of Juneteenth starring the Roots.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Probably because they don't want to be beholden to any continuity whatsoever.

Well if they set it after every other show they could do whatever they want but putting it between 2 existing shows is the opposite of that in terms of being beholden to continuity

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. If you're doing a sequel for something like Trek you have a ton of baggage and a fanbase obsessed with analysing if you hold to it. If you do a prequel and set yourself far enough back all you really need to do is establish some guidelines and a finish point. And if you set yourself far enough back you don't even really need the finish point. You can theoretically have more creative freedom with a prequel if you just stay self contained and clean up after yourself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

People are more obsessed with figuring out how a prequel fits into and leads to the established canon where it would be really easy to distance yourself from most things if you plop it another 100 years in the future.

Enterprise got poo poo on a LOT more for continuity issues than TNG, DS9, and VOY combined.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you make something take place in the future you can easily just reference the past as little as possible if you want a clean break.

If you do a prequel though, no matter what you're gonna have people being eagle eyed for contradictions to what happens later. So yeah that's pretty much the complete opposite of avoiding continuity issues.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I don't know much about Trek, Enterprise, Discovery, or whatever but it seems to me like you can say "The Federation has to end here and the Klingons have to end here" and everything else is yours as long as you use 100% original characters. Just tell yourself no Kirk, no Picard, no Borg, no whatever. If you don't get into the "foreshadowing" and connections then you don't contradict anything.

It means preparing yourself and finding the boundaries and sticking to them. But it seems doable. Like I said I know nothing about Discovery, Enterprise, or if either tried to distance themselves like that.

You can do the same if you jump way into the future but then you're still locked into the history. So it just feels like a 50/50 split. Either way you're dealing with baggage and "fans" who are going to be dicks about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know. I don't know much about Trek, Enterprise, Discovery, or whatever but it seems to me like you can say "The Federation has to end here and the Klingons have to end here" and everything else is yours as long as you use 100% original characters. Just tell yourself no Kirk, no Picard, no Borg, no whatever. If you don't get into the "foreshadowing" and connections then you don't contradict anything.

It means preparing yourself and finding the boundaries and sticking to them. But it seems doable. Like I said I know nothing about Discovery, Enterprise, or if either tried to distance themselves like that.

You can do the same if you jump way into the future but then you're still locked into the history. So it just feels like a 50/50 split. Either way you're dealing with baggage and "fans" who are going to be dicks about it.

Well, to give an example.

The Enterprise in Enterprise looked like background ship in battle scenes for DS9. No one shut up about it for 5 years.

They essentially blew up the Klingon homeworld in STVI, which was released during TNG but takes place 80 years before it, and it was never referenced in the show (outside of a treaty name) and no one gave a poo poo that the Klingon homeworld was devastated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The second example seems like a case of not following your present boundaries. Like, "don't genocide the homeworld of a primary species that totally retcons the history of the world" is just a boundary you have to accept with a prequel. If you want to do something like that you have to create a species or use some one without much history.

It's not as freeing as just doing something original but I don't think it's any more restrictive than having to say "ok, we have to remember the Klingon homeworld got blown up and also they have all this other establish history and rules". Like I said, baggage on either side.

Either way jumping into a franchise like Trek seems like a massive pain in the rear end you better really want to do.

I have no idea. Are the recent movies prequels or reboots? I gather this show is in continuity with all the previous shows and their movies?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 4, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh, wasn't it just a moon that blew up? Praxis?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Uh, wasn't it just a moon that blew up? Praxis?

Yes, but it was stated the world would be rendered uninhabitable within 100 years. That was the main plot for the movie, seizing on an opportunity for peace so that the federation could help with the refugee crisis that would result.

You can say they magicked a way to preserve the planet so they didn't have to do an evacuation, they could have done an evacuation and just named the new homeworld the same as the old. It really doesn't matter. It didn't need to be addressed in later installments so it wasn't. It was easy to ignore and no one was really calling for strict continuity to it.

But you mention Romulans in Enterprise and people immediately launch into a 20 page thesis on the events in "The Balance of Terror."

STAC Goat posted:

I have no idea. Are the recent movies prequels or reboots? I gather this show is in continuity with all the previous shows and their movies?

The 2009 movie was a prequel for about the first 30 seconds and from then on it was a parallel universe.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmaoooo Fresh Off The Boat kid growing up quiiiick

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

lmaoooo Fresh Off The Boat kid growing up quiiiick

Is it like on Gotham where the kid grew two feet between seasons 2 and 3?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

While I agree season 4 was a letdown, it never made me angry.

I think the only show to make me angry was Six Feet Under. Now this is one of my favorite shows of all-time, but around season 4 I became really angry with the show. This angry really peaked after episode 3 of that season when they tricked me into thinking that what I called the 'Lisa Problem' was over. This was due to Nate burning his bedding (during what is one of the best scenes of the show and bonus points for the use Radiohead's Lucky) and moving back into the house. But what happen the next episode? A psychic tells Nate Lisa is still alive. Shoot me now!. It goes downhill from there. This is a shame, because I love the first 3 seasons (also the season 3 finale was amazing). Season 5 wasn't bad (it really returned to form in the second half of the season and I changed my username on here right after Nate died that season), but season 4 is such a ugly season for a really good show.

Sorry for SFU rant. I haven't watched it since it originally aired on HBO. Maybe on a rewatch my mind will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EL BROMANCE posted:

If there was one I'd probably say that while I thought some of the fan art styles were cool and interesting, ultimately it was a distraction and didn't suit the episode.

Was there one with everyone styled after their actors? I was expecting one but don't recall seeing one.

I actually 100% on the distracting front. However, it was a very well written episode either way.

• Locked thread