Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

-Zydeco- posted:

6. Animals - The wild horse herd on Vieques was air-dropped a ton of alfalfa pellets. [The three humans there also received food.] About 120 dogs and cats will be flown from VI to Boston, for vet inspection and potential adoption.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

-Zydeco- posted:

If anyone is curious about how bad Puerto Rico is right now the USACE hurricane damage report came down the wire this morning, summarized below. VI is the US Virgin Islands.

1. Electricity - 5% of PR and 0-10-15% of VI have power. 80% PR elec trans system is damaged; 20% of HV elec towers must be replaced. Example PR problems - a hospital has a back-up generator, but it is not hooked up; a water pump station would work, but no fuel for gensets. PR electric service forecast is 15% in 2 weeks (i.e. one month after Maria).

2. Hospitals - Of 67 hospitals in PR, 15 have grid power, 51 have 'reduced' power, 1 is closed. Of 9 VA hospitals in PR, ONE is open, FIVE for walk-in
patients, THREE are closed. In VI, two major hospital facilities were sufficiently damaged to be 'condemned', i.e. they will need to be completely renovated before reuse. All THREE VA hospitals in VI are closed. Most hospitals in PR and VI are "serviced by fiber and are expected to be out for weeks/months". 50+ medical facilities are using HAM radio operators to provide some medical connectivity.

3. USG Property - 58 of 68 US Federal Buildings in PR are closed - while 65% of the grocery and bigbox stores are open. In VI, 15 of 19 US Federal buildings are closed.

4. Communications - There is no 911 service in VI; in PR, the main 911 center is down; the alternate is working but 'limited', with no call-locating capability. 88.7% of cell service in Puerto Rico is offline and 68.9% is off in the VI.

5. Roads - PR traffic lights not working; 14 bridges collapsed. VI some lanes open but commercial vehicle traffic limited by low lines, poles, trees. This is preventing the flow of bulk items like fuel and relief supplies though the roads are technically open.

6. Animals - The wild horse herd on Vieques was air-dropped a ton of alfalfa pellets. [The three humans there also received food.] About 120 dogs and cats will be flown from VI to Boston, for vet inspection and potential adoption.

7. Fatalities - 16 confirmed fatalities on PR, 5 on the VI.

jesus motherfuck the situation in VI is grim.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

here's your evening trigger

An unironic White Man's Burden comic in the year 2017. Amazing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is anyone else reading this that Trump is implying the shooting was a false flag?
Yeah, the misuse of the quotes makes it sound like he's saying it sarcastically.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sorry everyone. There's not going to be any meaningful legislation. A couple of years ago when Obama was still president a mentally ill person went into a school and killed a bunch of little kids. Babies really. Obama tried after that to rally and pass something meaningful but he couldn't.

Nothing substantive is going to pass from this latest massacre.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PR death toll up to 34

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c460_story.html

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This shooting broke Bill Mitchell even more than usual.

He is going all in on "this is antifa and corupt cops are hiding the manifesto (inside job)"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

Sorry everyone. There's not going to be any meaningful legislation. A couple of years ago when Obama was still president a mentally ill person went into a school and killed a bunch of little kids. Babies really. Obama tried after that to rally and pass something meaningful but he couldn't.

Yeah, it sucks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, it should be the DNC. Make it really really obvious who is helping PR and also trigger Trump even more.

Nah. It can be called "brown Democrats are coming to vote and you can't stop us!" or anything to trigger Trump. But it shouldn't be run by the DNC.

We've got to break this stupid expectation that the DNC should be so everything. The DNC should be a national coordinating organization for Democratic electoral and legislative politics but it cannot be the only or even the main organization fighting day to day. It can't be effectively structured to do both and we need it to be built to balance power and infighting in the party rather than be built like a grassroots campaign, a social media hub, or even activist network. We need other groups doing those jobs. It will make the DNC strong to have stronger allied institutions to rely on and those other organizations will be better at their jobs. The DNC shouldn't try to replace BLM or La Raza or even Daily Kos.

Let the DNC cut them a check and retweet their posts but we need a healthy ecosystem of advocacy and centralizing everything at the DNC doesn't do it.

(Also a side note, paying people to leave the island isn't helping PR it is helping people leave it.)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Edit: Nevermind, way too cynical

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 4, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Oh wow I already forgot about sandy hook and all the dead first graders.

Wait no I didn't because repeating this poo poo only hurts us you dingus. The voting population changes, and continually pushing for things is the only way to make them happen. If you don't want to that's fine, just don't engage then.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/915373908018257920

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This shooting broke Bill Mitchell even more than usual.

He is going all in on "this is antifa and corupt cops are hiding the manifesto (inside job)"
Did he start watching Infowars or something

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah. It can be called "brown Democrats are coming to vote and you can't stop us!" or anything to trigger Trump. But it shouldn't be run by the DNC.

We've got to break this stupid expectation that the DNC should be so everything. The DNC should be a national coordinating organization for Democratic electoral and legislative politics but it cannot be the only or even the main organization fighting day to day. It can't be effectively structured to do both and we need it to be built to balance power and infighting in the party rather than be built like a grassroots campaign, a social media hub, or even activist network. We need other groups doing those jobs. It will make the DNC strong to have stronger allied institutions to rely on and those other organizations will be better at their jobs. The DNC shouldn't try to replace BLM or La Raza or even Daily Kos.

Let the DNC cut them a check and retweet their posts but we need a healthy ecosystem of advocacy and centralizing everything at the DNC doesn't do it.

(Also a side note, paying people to leave the island isn't helping PR it is helping people leave it.)

It doesn't have to be the DNC itself, but DNC has a sufficiently large network where it can create a 501(c)(3) with its own board of directors and funnel donations through it.

My main point is that the narrative has to be "Trump and the GOP didn't give two fucks about PR, but Democrats have gone through a huge amount of trouble to help in substantive ways."

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Reasonable gun control in America won't happen until more representatives are shot or are scared of getting shot hth. And if you have any moral reservations about using fear as a tactic, remember that that cat has long been out of the bag: http://gawker.com/5728545/shot-congresswoman-was-in-sarah-palins-crosshairs

I really don't agree with or like what you are doing here.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I really don't agree with or like what you are doing here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good to see that some of my high school composition teachers are finally getting their own comic book.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I can completely see Trump staring at himself in the mirror screaming "DOOMCOCK".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish i could find the article but it talked about how trump's use of quotes is characteristic of someone with weak reading/writing skills. they're unsure so they use the quotes as a sort of fallback. it went over how he's a creature of television and has likely never read a book in his adult life so he's used to be speaking/hearing but not actually using the written word.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 4, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FYI the linked article seems to indicate the opposite. http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/353685-trump-admin-denied-puerto-rico-request-to-let-hurricane-victims-use?amp
So wait, denied or not??

The best I can figure is that no new food stamp recipients qualifying due to having homes destroyed, but people who are already in the food stamp program (~40% of PR) get the waiver to buy hot food with them. http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-administration-wont-let-puerto-ricans-use-food-stamps-hot-meals-it-did-677100

Nothing on the official site except modifications to the NAP program, which is different. https://www.fns.usda.gov/newsroom

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oh oh I know this one.

The miracle was a Jew right

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Oh wow I already forgot about sandy hook and all the dead first graders.

Wait no I didn't because repeating this poo poo only hurts us you dingus. The voting population changes, and continually pushing for things is the only way to make them happen. If you don't want to that's fine, just don't engage then.

household gun ownership does decline over time so there likely will be better gun control for future generations.

but for the foreseeable future sandy hook was 100 percent the end of the gun control debate.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It looks like Trump's advisers are going to let Trump decertify the Iran Deal, but avoid pushing for new sanctions. Basically, it gives Trump a way to stick it to Obama while still adhering to the Iran Deal itself, and keeping the Europeans happy.

So we're basically going with the old, "give younger sibling an unrelated remote so they can pretend they're playing the video game" approach.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/03/trump-iran-nuclear-deal-243427

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Also, it's depressingly hard to find this post by googling.

You can imagine how well "shooting new york times" works as a search term. :smith:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/915363490499584003

gently caress

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Once I was very sick and was getting a thing where no matter what face I looked at I'd get "I know this person" responce from my brain. Like not even as a delusional thing where I thought it with my mind, just purely physically I could feel that feeling with every face, separated from anything. I always think about how easy that would have driven me insane to have that feeling amplify or go away for medical reasons if it had not happened when I was clearly extremely sick and having issues with thinking.

Like if one day I woke up and faces no longer pinged "I know this person" even for people I did know or if every face did like it did that time but permanently and when I wasn't like half passing out.

I always wonder how many "mental illnesses" are things like that. Like the people that want to cut their own arm off maybe having proprioperception diseases and actually having a physical reason for feeling they don't own the arm.

Sounds like you had some kind of opposite Capgras delusion going on.

This is many pages back now but check out Oliver Sacks' work, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat etc. There are an amazing amount of things that can go wrong neurologically that result in things like "I am absolutely sure I'm already dead, despite all evidence to the contrary", "I can't form new memories so it's always 1945 and I just came back from the war", and "everyone I know has been replaced by an identical imposter".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

or that guy that lives in the hell of a 20 second memory.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/915366480379809792

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Brass Key posted:

Sounds like you had some kind of opposite Capgras delusion going on.

This is many pages back now but check out Oliver Sacks' work, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat etc. There are an amazing amount of things that can go wrong neurologically that result in things like "I am absolutely sure I'm already dead, despite all evidence to the contrary", "I can't form new memories so it's always 1945 and I just came back from the war", and "everyone I know has been replaced by an identical imposter".

This book and Musicophilia are so freakin' good and everyone should read them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love that they're trying to fight gun control by pointing out that Chicago had 4300 gun casualties and Baltimore had 900, when Las Vegas had almost 600 in a single night by a single person.

They don't know that "fatalities" are people killed, "casualties" is people killed and anyone injured.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Groovelord Neato posted:

household gun ownership does decline over time so there likely will be better gun control for future generations.

but for the foreseeable future sandy hook was 100 percent the end of the gun control debate.

Sort of. In the last 50 years the highest point was in the early 90s, and the lowest was in 2000. We are up from 2000, but down from 2011. The average though is about 40% of homes, and that's where we are right now.

Also the converse side is that gun control is increasingly getting impossible due to advances in technology, like that weirdo libertarian Cody Wilson doing literally everything possible to make it cheap and easy for people to make their own untraceable firearms at home. It's at the point for about.....oh, 2,500, 3000 dollars you have all the tools to make all the pistols and rifles you want til the end of time and there is absolutely zero way to find out about it. I honestly don't know how you put that genie back in the box.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

You should be very proud. Wonderful numbers. Wonderful work I'm doing.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I get that every President does the photo op tour after disasters but it's not really normal for it to be very clear that the President is only there to get a few good photos and look like they're doing something. Must of the time they have a speech prepared to say things like stay strong, we have your back, etc. I've never seen anybody go for the express purpose of collecting praise and brag about how good things are.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Imagine if Obama vol 22753

If Obama took rolls of paper towels and shot it into crowd like a basketball

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pacerhimself posted:

I get that every President does the photo op tour after disasters but it's not really normal for it to be very clear that the President is only there to get a few good photos and look like they're doing something. Must of the time they have a speech prepared to say things like stay strong, we have your back, etc. I've never seen anybody go for the express purpose of collecting praise and brag about how good things are.

Yeah, they rarely go to the disaster area and tell them that the bill for the relief is in the mail, once you restore mail service

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

pacerhimself posted:

Hey, at least he told them they should be proud of their death toll and to have fun before giving a big wave and a smile and jumping back in his jet.

So will he golf in Vegas before or after meeting with victim's families and the injured? How many gauze roll 3 pointers will he make?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For anyone who needs ammunition against those who are buying the whole argument that Puerto Rico is just a unique mess, a quick reminder that Obama led a much bigger and more efficient response to Haiti. The article doesn't include that Obama had reached out to W to build up bipartisan support.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i will never get over how loving stupid he is. if i live to be a thousand loving years old i will never be able to come to terms with how mindnumbingly dumb he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

or that guy that lives in the hell of a 20 second memory.

There have been multiple people like that (there are two in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat), but the one you're probably thinking of is Clive Wearing.

• Locked thread