Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

What's sad is you dodging questions you don't want to answer.

Simple question: did Saddam wish for mass murder of Kurds or not? That is the criteria you set for "actually a threat."

gwb didn't invade iraq to protect kurds, or anyone. that wasn't his initial rationale for invading either (it was WMDs). love that you keep trying to defend the iraq war to back up your argument though

again, really sad yronic

stone cold posted:

punching nazis isn't preemption, it's reaction to political violence through genocidal rhetoric

stone cold posted:

it's also extremely good to do

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

gwb didn't invade iraq to protect kurds, or anyone. that wasn't his initial rationale for invading either (it was WMDs). love that you keep trying to defend the iraq war to back up your argument though

again, really sad yronic

Nah I'm just comparing other totalitarian murderous regimes to Nazi Germany. It's a thing, talk to a political scientist. Nice try though.

FDR didn't go to war to protect European Jews either, so obviously it's not the motive of the president that really bothers you.

So I ask again, was Saddam genocidal or not? Why can't you answer this question?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 4, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Like an actual nuanced thinker would be able to articulate an actual difference between wars, but this is Condiv so I'm not holding my breath.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Nah I'm just comparing other totalitarian murderous regimes to Nazi Germany. It's a thing, talk to a political scientist. Nice try though.

FDR didn't go to war to protect European Jews either, so obviously it's not the motive of the president that really bothers you.

So I ask again, was Saddam genocidal or not? Why can't you answer this question.

i'm not bothering with your dumb question cause you're trying to pivot out of your own dumb argument into another one you think will go better for you

sorry, but i'm not gonna help you shift goalposts yronic :shrug:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv wants to whitewash the Kurdish genocide, got it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

:lol: this is really sad even for you yronic

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

yes that's why we went in right after the genocide to take saddam to face justice for crimes against humanity in the hague in 1989 and not in 2003

oh wait

also like cry your crocodile tears all you like, i don't hear you complaining the us didn't oust suharto either

it's almost as though empire is complicit in crimes against humanity it or its allies commit

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i dunno yronic makes some compelling points. why WONT condiv condemn the armenian genocide???????

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

i dunno yronic makes some compelling points. why WONT condiv condemn the kurdish genocide???????

Is Condiv Saddam?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

boring and stupid

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stone cold posted:

yes that's why we went in right after the genocide to take saddam to face justice for crimes against humanity in the hague in 1989 and not in 2003

That wasn't the issue though. No one is saying the US shouldn't have taken action in WWII since it was motivated by geopolitical considerations rather than humanitarian ones.

The takeaway is this: everyone believes in preemption so suggesting it's some unique liberal ideology doesn't pass the smell test.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 4, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

That wasn't the issue though. No one is saying the US shouldn't have taken action in WWII since it was motivated by geopolitical considerations rather than humanitarian ones.

you're the one making the claim that condiv is whitewashing a genocide

you should be able to back it up

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

it's almost like r2p only comes into play when commodities are at stake rather than people

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stone cold posted:

you're the one making the claim that condiv is whitewashing a genocide

you should be able to back it up

He won't acknowledge the Kurdish genocide when asked for the simple reason he'd have to say "actually the simplistic analysis I used earlier is incomplete because I want to paint myself as a crusader against genocide and don't want to admit sometimes I will not support using force against a genocidal authoritarian."

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
So domino theory was about stopping anti-capitalism and not about defending capitalism, which is a really important distinction and not at all pedantic. Got it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

stone cold posted:

political violence through genocidal rhetoric

Open conspiracy to murder.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Speaking of, this article makes an interesting case that the US could have prevented the Holocaust by not declaring war on Germany and evacuating the Jews et al.

A reposted PDF since harpers has a paywall: https://dorsheitzedek.org/sites/default/files/managed/Baker%20Why%20I%27m%20a%20Pacifist.pdf

quote:

By 1941, as Congress was debating the Lend-Lease Act, which would provide military aid to Britain and other Allies, the enormity of the risk became clear, if it wasn’t al- ready, to anyone who could read a newspaper. On February 28, 1941, the New York Times carried a trou- bling dispatch from Vienna: “Many Jews here believe that Jews through- out Europe will be more or less hos- tages against the United States’ en- try into the war. Some fear that even an appreciable amount of help for Britain from the United States may precipitate whatever plan the Reichsfuehrer had in mind when, in recent speeches, he spoke of the elimination of Jews from Europe ‘un- der certain circumstances.’ ”
In response to this threat, The American Hebrew, a venerable weekly, ran a de ant front-page editorial. “Re- duced to intelligibility this message, which obviously derives from of cial sources, warns that unless America backs down, the Jews in Germany will be butchered,” the paper said.
The shift, Friedländer writes, came in late 1941, occasioned by the event that transformed a pan-European war into a world war: “the entry of the United States into the con ict.” As Stackelberg puts it: “Although the ‘Final Solution,’ the decision to kill all the Jews under German control, was planned well in advance, its full implementation may have been delayed until the U.S. entered the war. Now the Jews under German control had lost their potential val- ue as hostages.”
In any case, on December 12, 1941, Hitler confrmed his intentions in a talk before Goebbels and other party leaders. In his diary, Goebbels later summarized the Führer’s re- marks: “The world war is here. The annihilation of the Jews must be the necessary consequence.”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

He won't acknowledge the Kurdish genocide when asked for the simple reason he'd have to say "actually the simplistic analysis I used earlier is incomplete because I want to paint myself as a crusader against genocide and don't want to admit sometimes I will not support using force against a genocidal authoritarian."

i'm sorry i don't support the iraq war like you do yronic :nyoron:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

but you don't acknowledge that the genocide took place in 1989 which is this many years off from 2003 🖐🖐☝️☝️☝️☝️

so again isn't it kind of funny how r2p comes into play when commodities are at risk and not people

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

Open conspiracy to murder.

attempted crimes against humanity

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Speaking of, this article makes an interesting case that the US could have prevented the Holocaust by not declaring war on Germany and evacuating the Jews et al.

A reposted PDF since harpers has a paywall: https://dorsheitzedek.org/sites/default/files/managed/Baker%20Why%20I%27m%20a%20Pacifist.pdf

Uh the Nazis declared war on us first. Is this article arguing the US shouldn't have declared war on Japan because if so lol

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stone cold posted:

but you don't acknowledge that the genocide took place in 1989 which is this many years off from 2003 🖐🖐☝️☝️☝️☝️

We are still talking about punching Nazis 70 years later

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

We are still talking about punching Nazis 70 years later

we still have nazis, did you forget? charlottesville was <2 months ago, in case you forgot

now, what does that have to do with you pretending that pointing out

Condiv posted:

means whitewashing genocide

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

Uh the Nazis declared war on us first. Is this article arguing the US shouldn't have declared war on Japan because if so lol

but don't you see, clearly the americans made the germans do a genocide

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stone cold posted:

we still have nazis, did you forget? charlottesville was <2 months ago, in case you forgot

In 2003 the world still had Saddam.

stone cold posted:

means whitewashing genocide

So a dismissive mention of the Kurds and no acknowledgment of the genocide against them by the poster who brought genocide into the discussion. Looks like whitewashing to me.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

i'm sorry i don't support the iraq war like you do yronic :nyoron:

I don't support it, so I guess that means you do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stone cold posted:

but don't you see, clearly the americans made the germans do a genocide

More that America had opportunities to save people from the Holocaust that we didn't take because we didn't really like the Jews and it was more important to not negotiate with a hostage taker than to even try.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

More that America had opportunities to save people from the Holocaust that we didn't take because we didn't really like the Jews and it was more important to not negotiate with a hostage taker than to even try.

so do you want to punch nazis or negotiate with them JESUS

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

so do you want to punch nazis or negotiate with them JESUS

Negotiate to save as many hostages as we can then punch?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

What negotiation do you envision could have happened?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

In 2003 the world still had Saddam.

So a dismissive mention of the Kurds and no acknowledgment of the genocide against them by the poster who brought genocide into the discussion. Looks like whitewashing to me.

even fukuyama disavowed your brand of neocon nonsense

Trabisnikof posted:

ill give you the former but the latter is super loving stupid

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

If only we had let the Nazis have full control of Europe, we could have stopped the holocaust. makes u think

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

What negotiation do you envision could have happened?

The USA was in routine negotiations with Nazi Germany during the war over transfers of POWs, so having negotiations was doable. I have no idea if a doable deal would have ever been brokered, but the larger point is we didn't even try. People were advocating this at the time too, this isn't just hindsight.

quote:

What mattered, Gollancz held, was, and he put it in italics, the saving of life now. The German government had to be approached immediately and asked to allow Jews to emigrate. The Allies had nothing to lose with such a proposal. “If refused, that would strip Hitler of the excuse that he cannot afford to fill useless mouths,” Gollancz wrote. “If accept- ed, it would not frustrate the econom- ic blockade, because Hitler’s alterna- tive is not feeding but extermination.”
Nobody in authority in Britain and the United States paid heed to these promptings. Anthony Eden, Britain’s foreign secretary, who’d been tasked by Churchill with handling queries about refugees, dealt coldly with one of many importunate delegations, saying that any diplomatic effort to obtain the release of the Jews from Hitler was “fantastically impossible.” On a trip to the United States, Eden candidly told Cordell Hull, the secretary of state, that the real difficulty with asking Hitler for the Jews was that “Hitler might well take us up on any such of- fer, and there simply are not enough ships and means of transportation in the world to handle them.” Churchill agreed. “Even were we to obtain per- mission to withdraw all Jews,” he wrote in reply to one pleading letter, “transport alone presents a problem which will be dif cult of solution.”
Not enough shipping and transport? Two years earlier, the British had evac- uated nearly 340,000 men from the beaches of Dunkirk in just nine days. The U.S. Air Force had many thou- sands of new planes. During even a brief armistice, the Allies could have airlifted and transported refugees in very large numbers out of the German sphere."

I'm not convinced, as is often true for hypotheticals like this, it is impossible to know how many more could have been saved (USA immigration restrictions certainly place a floor). But I find it an interesting argument especially when it was made during the war.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stone cold posted:

even fukuyama disavowed your brand of neocon nonsense

Neocons are high on my shitlist, I'm just aware that half of this forum is not neocon/libertarian simply because the zeitgeist moved on. Many of our usual whiners would swallow that poo poo in an instant if it became cool. It's easy to go along. Hell, a whole society went along with Hitler so putting it on perspective it's easy to see how a bunch of neckbeards became neocons. (They already have the same fashion sense.)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

JeffersonClay posted:

So domino theory was about stopping anti-capitalism and not about defending capitalism, which is a really important distinction and not at all pedantic. Got it.

The domino theory was about ignoring our own intelligence about the likelihood of communism spreading so that we could locally enforce the will of "our guy" except wait no get a new one in there

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dearest hitler: we will fully endorse your claims to europe as a continent only for the aryan race, but only if you ship us all your jews

with love,
Franklin D. Roosevelt

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

Neocons are high on my shitlist, I'm just aware that half of this forum is not neocon/libertarian simply because the zeitgeist moved on. Many of our usual whiners would swallow that poo poo in an instant if it became cool. It's easy to go along. Hell, a whole society went along with Hitler so it's easy to see how a bunch of neckbeards became neocons.

you're claiming the removal of saddam hussein had to do with the Kurdish genocide when it didn't so have you considered looking in a mirror

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The USA was in routine negotiations with Nazi Germany during the war over transfers of POWs, so having negotiations was doable. I have no idea if a doable deal would have ever been brokered, but the larger point is we didn't even try. People were advocating this at the time too, this isn't just hindsight

What concessions would you offer for X number of hostages in this situation and if the point of the hostage is to have a human shield why would the hostage taker give them up?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

stone cold posted:

you're claiming the removal of saddam hussein had to do with the Kurdish genocide when it didn't so have you considered looking in a mirror

:wrong:

Also Saddam basically got removed because he was seen as a bad guy in a strategic region and Bush thought that was a good enough reason. Society was scared into going along but the actual WMD claim was an obvious pretext. The genocide was a definite part of pointing out Saddam was a bad guy. Many of our Bold Internet Leftists would fall in love with the war if only the guy was explicitly calling himself a Nazi instead of a rebranding. Which isn't surprising considering how many neocons are converted radical leftists.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

It is very telling that you think distinctions between aggression and defense are unimportant and pedantic.

• Locked thread