Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

He/she didn't post what province they were talking about, and I have never heard a first nations person call themselves "indian" and know several. Using appropriate respectful terms for a group of people isn't white knighting, go gently caress yourself James Baud.

You know several? Well, clearly your several first nations friends encompass all the possible attitudes and viewpoints of first nations people across the country.

Some people don't like the term "Indian," others don't like the term "Native," it's really something that individuals need to figure out for themselves, and just lol at trying to tell someone what they aren't allowed to refer to themselves as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I use Indian, Aboriginal, and Indigenous depending on how I'm feeling.

I'm loving crazy I know.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

He/she didn't post what province they were talking about, and I have never heard a first nations person call themselves "indian" and know several. Using appropriate respectful terms for a group of people isn't white knighting, go gently caress yourself James Baud.

Your histrionics are better suited for the feminism thread. Seriously, check it out. I bet it's your jam.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Your histrionics are better suited for the feminism thread. Seriously, check it out. I bet it's your jam.

Will do, thanks!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/AJWVictoriaBC/status/915360657020559360

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
durp fiscal responsibility is paramount when it comes to other people getting things, but when it's something I want then build baby build.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

littleorv posted:

I use Indian, Aboriginal, and Indigenous depending on how I'm feeling.

I'm loving crazy I know.

Wait why Indian but not native?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Don't use Indian or Native. Indigenous or aboriginal is the correct term. Aboriginals can call themselves 'Indians' if they so chose to in an attempt to empower a word with negative connotations

A white person calling an aboriginal an 'Indian' is like a white person calling a black person a 'nigga'. Don't loving do it

Source: I'm a social worker that works with aboriginal youth offenders, I've talked to dozens of elders and I've routinely visited northern reserves and regularly attended pow wows/feasts/sweats and other things of that nature

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 4, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dreylad posted:

I remember the CBC did a TV show or series about a kid who got sent to a residential school in the 30s or 40s that we watched in Grade 8. It's probably outdated now because kids were treated a lot worse than it portrayed.

Probably thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os5KqErc7XY

Also "Canada's Indigenous People" is a great way to start a discussion about exactly who is not whose property.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Don't use Indian or Native. Indigenous or aboriginal is the correct term. Aboriginals can call themselves 'Indians' if they so chose to in an attempt to empower a word with negative connotations

A white person calling an aboriginal an 'Indian' is like a white person calling a black person a 'nigga'. Don't loving do it

Source: I'm a social worker that works with aboriginal youth offenders, I've talked to dozens of elders and I've routinely visited northern reserves and regularly attended pow wows/feasts/sweats and other things of that nature

I didn't know that poster was first nations because ??? and I guess I'm sorry for unknowingly telling him/her what to call themselves? but this is exactly what I was getting at. As a white dude, I'm not going to loving go around calling people "indians" the same way I'm not going to use the n-word. Thanks thread for the feedback though, I'll seriously take it to heart!!! :jerkbag:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A Typical Goon posted:

Don't use Indian or Native. Indigenous or aboriginal is the correct term.

Oppression via difficult swipe typing, I love 2017.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Don't use Indian or Native. Indigenous or aboriginal is the correct term. Aboriginals can call themselves 'Indians' if they so chose to in an attempt to empower a word with negative

I'd read that thread.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

A Typical Goon Dances With Wolves

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't know that poster was first nations because ??? and I guess I'm sorry for unknowingly telling him/her what to call themselves? but this is exactly what I was getting at. As a white dude, I'm not going to loving go around calling people "indians" the same way I'm not going to use the n-word. Thanks thread for the feedback though, I'll seriously take it to heart!!! :jerkbag:

Why are you always a prick about everything

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not at all, but thanks for your input, internet stranger.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's okay several of my non-indigenous friends are pricks

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i know a native guy from manitoulin and he occasionally calls himself indian :shrug: i wouldn't use it myself though. well cya

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

A Typical Goon posted:

You’re a swell guy doing good work, keep on keepin on.

I didn’t get my metis status card, need to send those papers :sigh:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
From what I've seen with my many dealings with First Nations people, including family members, if a First Nations person asks you to use terms like Indigenous, Aborigonal and First Nations, it's almost always because they think you're a pale faced rear end in a top hat and they just plain don't like you.

I mean ya it's a good idea to not use Native or Indian when you first meet someone but if they don't eventually turn to you and say something along the lines of 'poo poo dude just call me an Indian/Native, it's cool' then it's a good bet that you're not connecting with them on a personal level.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

What's wrong with just using the guy's name?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
How frequently do you find yourself on a first-name basis with someone where you also need to regularly refer to their ethnicity as an abstract?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You never need to call anyone by a general label. Just use their names, if you don't know, then ask them, and if you can't do that then stop talking or then refer to where they're from.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

A Typical Goon posted:

Literally every native person I know uses the term "native" or "aboriginal". The Ontario curriculum still uses the terminology "Native Studies" (although BC uses "First Peoples"). The "All Native Basketball Tournament" is huge here. "Indian tacos" are beloved, and you're going to sound like a dumbass if you ask the vendor for an "Aboriginal Taco". Also use of the term "Indian" to refer to actual people is appropriate in some contexts, such as in discussing the Indian Act... Whether or not that last thing is true I don't know, but it was said by a Dene activist delivering a workshop on reconciliation and resilience to the local school district.

My advice is to avoid the slurs and let your social sphere guide you otherwise. The idea that you shouldn't use words like "native" seems reeeaaal context specific.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2018

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Looking forward to the derivative CanCon tell-all What Also Happened Up Here

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Typical Goon posted:

me, sweating: I tried billing it to uhhhhhhhhhhhindianaffairs and it didn't go through

They still haven't changed the billing code from IA internally even though it was renamed in 2015

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

just another posted:

Literally every native person I know uses the term "native" or "aboriginal". The Ontario curriculum still uses the terminology "Native Studies" (although BC uses "First Peoples"). The "All Native Basketball Tournament" is huge here. "Indian tacos" are beloved, and you're going to sound like a dumbass if you ask the vendor for an "Aboriginal Taco". Also use of the term "Indian" to refer to actual people is appropriate in some contexts, such as in discussing the Indian Act... Whether or not that last thing is true I don't know, but it was said by a Dene activist delivering a workshop on reconciliation and resilience to the local school district.

My advice is to avoid the slurs and let your social sphere guide you otherwise. The idea that you shouldn't use words like "native" seems reeeaaal context specific.

The only people I've ever heard correct use of the term 'native' are academics and a few elders that are very strongly passionate about aboriginal rights. 99% of people probably wouldn't get mad at the term though. If you go around calling people Indians as a white guy you're liable to get a punch in the face however

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Embarrassing anecdote: Until about my early 20's I always thought it was weird that in the local news you always heard about someone who did a thing being East Indian, but there was never anything about West Indian people.

East Indian people obviously being those from the east side of India, West Indian from the west side of India.

Why the heck were East Indians always the ones causing trouble in Surrey, and never the West Indians?

Finally after reading some article and puzzling over it one day I finally bothered to google it.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm retarded."

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
In my defense, Columbus was wrong first. :colbert:

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 4, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Were there no people from the West Indies in Surrey?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

Which communities have you spent the most time working with?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

infernal machines posted:

No, the number of people from the West Indies living in the GVA is infinitely lower than that of East Indians.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

cougar cub posted:

Which communities have you spent the most time working with?

I'm not big on getting doxxed so I won't go into too much detail but northwest Ontario

There's nothing more eye opening about colonial politics than a trip up to Pikangikum

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

No worries - wanted to know if you were involved in any of the Western provinces / territories.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

infernal machines posted:

There is like 1 Jamaican Beef Patty place in the entire Vancouver area and they don't even use turmeric.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Eej posted:

There is like 1 Jamaican Beef Patty place in the entire Vancouver area and they don't even use turmeric.

Oh my god. How do you even live?

Best place on earth my rear end.

E: Do y'all even know the joy of jerk spice?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 4, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

James Baud posted:

OTTAWA — Niki Ashton says she’ll continue to champion pulling the federal NDP to the left of the political spectrum, blaming sexist media coverage for her third-place result in Sunday’s leadership race.

"It was under-reported and underestimated," Ashton told the Free Press Tuesday, her first public statement since the party's leadership election in Toronto.

Yep, that's the ticket. When 80%+ of NDP members won't vote for you, nevermind the rest of the country, sexism is to blame. Wait, the federal NDP has already had two previous female leaders and there have been how many female NDP premiers and party leaders?

Saying that an outspoken feminist blamed sexism for her campaign loss when all she said was "It was interesting to sort of watch a lot of the MSM ignore our campaign or discount it" is pretty loving sexist in itself

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/915305418242568193

andrew scheer, extremely normal guy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The strangest bedfellows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 26, 2018