Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spite posted:

Here's what you need to know about Gorsuch.

His mom ran the EPA for Reagan and was force to resign because she was awful.

Gorsuch is still mad about it.

It's kind of funny how the other justices clearly don't like him. He does seem like a smug prick regardless of his beliefs though.

So you say he's a college Republican?

How the gently caress did he pass a bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We force auto companies to recall dangerous cars, the government should be able to force gun manufacturers to recall guns that are easily converted to fully automatic. You want to shoot an automatic weapon, then join the loving military

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Oxxidation posted:

That evaporated the moment he started writing opinions and everyone discovered that not only is he an arch-conservative, his writing and argumentative skills are worse than most law students'. The man is a malicious idiot.

He's managed to make John Roberts and Samuel Alito look good by proxy.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's a real piece of poo poo, so no he hasn't.

I think everyone always says "maybe it won't be so bad" because they're all hoping for someone to end up like Warren and be far more liberal than expected once they have the seat, but I don't think that is even really possible in the current political climate. You'd have to be a secret liberal pretending and acting like a real hateful sack of garbage your entire career to get by the conservatives in order to get a seat and then flip.

The Long Con

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Gorsuch is a buffoon with a child's concept of argumentation who sits where he does because he has just enough capacity to play the useful idiot necessary to be sufficiently obedient to the whims of the Republican party's masters.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Spite posted:

It's kind of funny how the other justices clearly don't like him. He does seem like a smug prick regardless of his beliefs though.
I can completely imagine John Roberts thinking, "He and I may vote the same way, but no way am I not letting the Notorious RBG dunk on him."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lid posted:

He's managed to make John Roberts and Samuel Alito look good by proxy.

John Roberts is reasonably intelligent and sometimes its interesting to read his opinions, though based on today's argument, he's about as confused about statistics as the ICP are with magnets.

Alito is a straight-up political hack who cares about conservative wins more than being consistent.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I didn't see this posted yet.

More Than 80% Of All Net Neutrality Comments Were Sent By Bots, Researchers Say

gently caress Ajit Pai and gently caress his FCC. I'm pretty sure we've lost the net neutrality battle, barring some sort of judicial miracle.

quote:

"Using our (admittedly) simple classification, over 95 percent of the organic comments are in favor of Title II regulation,"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

John Roberts is reasonably intelligent and sometimes its interesting to read his opinions, though based on today's argument, he's about as confused about statistics as the ICP are with magnets.

Alito is a straight-up political hack who cares about conservative wins more than being consistent.

Nothing will ever make Alito good in substance or appearance and it's loving disgusting to think anyone could possibly give him the slightest room to carry the impression he's anything but the lowest of the low.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I'd be ok with notorious RGB just straight up knifing that fool in the throat.

May as well go out with a bang.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

twice burned ice posted:

I didn't see this posted yet.

More Than 80% Of All Net Neutrality Comments Were Sent By Bots, Researchers Say

gently caress Ajit Pai and gently caress his FCC. I'm pretty sure we've lost the net neutrality battle, barring some sort of judicial miracle.

Shoulda scared the FCC off back in the Tipper Gore times back when it was just loving compact disks in question.

How does the FCC have any technical control here?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

ON PAPER, conservatives do not believe men should be having lots of sex.

On paper.

In reality, men not having sex means more for them.

Both with women and men.

Liquid Communism posted:

He had no reason to modify anything for full auto, nor has there been any report beyond speculation based on sound that anything was modified for full auto.

For reference, this is what a slidefire stock in action looks like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4kFzECXGs&t=15s

They're also ridiculous easy to make, too. Before the slide-fire stocks, there was this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3y2Cp0pKwA

The Glumslinger posted:

We force auto companies to recall dangerous cars, the government should be able to force gun manufacturers to recall guns that are easily converted to fully automatic. You want to shoot an automatic weapon, then join the loving military

Define "easily converted".

The reason why bump fire stocks are legal is because a human finger is still pulling a trigger. The trigger is still being reset by the gun, there's no additional mechanism that makes it full automatic. It is a combination of recoil generated by the weapon and muscle pulling the weapon forward that allows bump fire to happen. You don't even need a bump fire stock to do engage in bump fire, it just makes it easier to do so.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

stone cold posted:

Australian gun deaths in 2016:

Deaths from Las Vegas shooting:

US Gun deaths in 2017 so far:

e: the pics get hosed up in quote

Can you give the source on this? I'm trying to share it, but, without a source, I can't share the data in some places.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I could probably grudgingly stomach Roberts, and decisions he made that I didn't agree with if he didn't come up with totally hack-y reasons to do so. Like with the VRA case, his dumbass rationale for gutting it was because it did a good job striking down racist voting laws and so we don't need it anymore, which is probably in my "top 5 worst loving arguments ever" list. As RGB (or was it Sotomayor?) kindly pointed out, this would be like getting rid of your umbrella during a rainstorm because you're not getting wet.

Office Pig posted:

Nothing will ever make Alito good in substance or appearance and it's loving disgusting to think anyone could possibly give him the slightest room to carry the impression he's anything but the lowest of the low.

I read somewhere that Alito is the most blatantly partisan judge on the court, which was really surprising given that he shared a seat with Scalia and Thomas.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bicyclops posted:

Oliver Sacks is a definite pro-read.

Oliver Sacks was gay and awesome and one of the greatest authors of the 20th century by a gigantic margin.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Spite posted:

Here's what you need to know about Gorsuch.

His mom ran the EPA for Reagan and was force to resign because she was awful.

Gorsuch is still mad about it.

Ended up looking her up because of this. From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Gorsuch was promised another job by Reagan, and in July 1984, he appointed her to a three-year term as chair of the National Advisory Committee on Oceans and Atmosphere, a move which was criticized by environmental groups.[10] She described the post as a "nothing-burger"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: Welp, I misread the article entirely.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 4, 2017

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Liquid Communism posted:

He had no reason to modify anything for full auto, nor has there been any report beyond speculation based on sound that anything was modified for full auto.

For reference, this is what a slidefire stock in action looks like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4kFzECXGs&t=15s

This is so loving scary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gorsuch was heavily vetted by the Heritage Foundation, in addition to all of Trump's other possible finalists. After what happened with Justice Souter, they are not going to let anyone who isn't a straight up party hack on the Court ever again as long as they control the WH

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The first millennial justice will get dunked on like no other and will surely be Heritage Foundation approved.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
God drat it, I opened facebook and immediately saw people I know spouting pro-gun bullshit and others just spreading blatantly false info "Everything I could find says he was using illegal guns anyway, how will gun laws help?" and of course the always popular "If someone truly wants to hurt other people they'll find a way." Yeah, but not almost 600 people from a 32nd floor window.

I typed a reply, erased it because you shouldn't touch the poop, then started to retype it. Thankfully I wasn't stupid enough to post it. Nothing is more useless than arguing with conservatives or gun nuts on Facebook, not even this post.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
[quote="“RandomBlue”" post="“477037978”"]
Nothing is more useless than...Facebook
[/quote]

Real talk.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Real talk.

Unless you want to steal the presidency. I'm sure there's no connection to Trump's win via social media and the founder of the largest social network in the world deciding to start his bid for the next election shortly afterwards.

e: (yes yes yes, there were many factors, blah blah blah)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RandomBlue posted:

God drat it, I opened facebook and immediately saw people I know spouting pro-gun bullshit and others just spreading blatantly false info "Everything I could find says he was using illegal guns anyway, how will gun laws help?" and of course the always popular "If someone truly wants to hurt other people they'll find a way." Yeah, but not almost 600 people from a 32nd floor window.

I typed a reply, erased it because you shouldn't touch the poop, then started to retype it. Thankfully I wasn't stupid enough to post it. Nothing is more useless than arguing with conservatives or gun nuts on Facebook, not even this post.

Unfriend them for your own mental health.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Unfriend them for your own mental health.
At least unfollow them so that they're not in your news feed.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Zoro posted:

Can you give the source on this? I'm trying to share it, but, without a source, I can't share the data in some places.

The images are from the Sydney Morning Herald, while the data comes from, as noted on the bottoms of the pictures, the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the US Police in the second image referring to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, and the Gun Violence Archive, which catalogues gun violence incidents in America. Important to note is that there are two exceptions to the data they collect (their methodology can be found here) suicides by gun which are collected quarterly and annually due to differing distribution methods by government agencies and armed robberies which are collected in aggregate with law enforcement quarterly and annual reports, so the number they have in that image may in fact be lower than the reality.

I hope this is helpful!

e: changed source on lvmpd to a more dated press release rather than the tweet since the tweet unfurled

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RandomBlue posted:

Remember when everyone on the right wing was calling out the mayor of London for saying that threats of violence were just part of living in the big city

Yeah.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He was good relatively speaking in that he was qualified to have the job in a material sense and trump did not just nominate his horse or something.

A horse sounds materially better than Neil Gorsuch in every way.

If I remember right the relief among liberals about Gorsuch was mostly because of speculation that Trump might nominate Pryor, a wild-eyed fundy nutjob who would fit right in on the Guardian Council in Iran.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Remember when everyone on the right wing was calling out the mayor of London for saying that threats of violence were just part of living in the big city

Yeah.

Being shot by a white person is the cost of freedom.

Being shot by a muslim is a religious war that demands harsh global action.

Being shot by a Mexican is a reason to close the borders and deport everyone.

Being shot by a black person is a condemnation of all black people, liberal politics, and really everything post Lincoln.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

stone cold posted:

The images are from the Sydney Morning Herald, while the data comes from, as noted on the bottoms of the pictures, the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the US Police in the second image referring to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, and the Gun Violence Archive, which catalogues gun violence incidents in America. Important to note is that there are two exceptions to the data they collect (their methodology can be found here) suicides by gun which are collected quarterly and annually due to differing distribution methods by government agencies and armed robberies which are collected in aggregate with law enforcement quarterly and annual reports, so the number they have in that image may in fact be lower than the reality.

I hope this is helpful!

e: changed source on lvmpd to a more dated press release rather than the tweet since the tweet unfurled

Turns out it was already used so it was autodeleted. Turned out people just denied it anyway and demanded per-capita. Then, when they got per-capita and it was still horrible and literally just as bad, they denied that too. :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

House passes bill that outlaws abortion after 20 weeks, saying the fetus can feel pain (no evidence of this)

https://twitter.com/HouseJudiciary/status/915317670630887424

:biotruths:

E. Motion to ban the use of real people in the names of bills

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

yronic heroism posted:

The first millennial justice will get dunked on like no other and will surely be Heritage Foundation approved.

Eh I doubt it. We won't have a millennial judge for like 20 years and then millennials will be the power group. The boomers who hate millennials off of pure projection, because they make them realize how lovely their generation is, will be dead.

Of course on our current trajectory the boomers will have done irreparable damage to all the generations that come after them. But we can hopefully rebuild and fix some of their mistakes. The first millennial judge will probably be met with strong support.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

RasperFat posted:

Eh I doubt it. We won't have a millennial judge for like 20 years and then millennials will be the power group. The boomers who hate millennials off of pure projection, because they make them realize how lovely their generation is, will be dead.

Of course on our current trajectory the boomers will have done irreparable damage to all the generations that come after them. But we can hopefully rebuild and fix some of their mistakes. The first millennial judge will probably be met with strong support.

I'm sure in 25 years when the first millennial Justice is sworn in RBG will give them a stern talking to.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Zoro posted:

Turns out it was already used so it was autodeleted. Turned out people just denied it anyway and demanded per-capita. Then, when they got per-capita and it was still horrible and literally just as bad, they denied that too. :(

I'm sorry to hear that :(

It's good you tried though

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Anyone added to the official death toll has been dead for days - it's just counting corpses and guessing at time+manner of death which has to be within days of the storm and directly related to it like drowning or a building falling on you. Anything stress related like heart attacks doesn't count. Probably death by power failure doesn't either *looks meaningfully at hospitals* but I'm not an expert on the criteria.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

House passes bill that outlaws abortion after 20 weeks, saying the fetus can feel pain (no evidence of this)

https://twitter.com/HouseJudiciary/status/915317670630887424

:biotruths:

E. Motion to ban the use of real people in the names of bills

do they have the votes in the senate?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Munkeymon posted:

Anyone added to the official death toll has been dead for days - it's just counting corpses and guessing at time+manner of death which has to be within days of the storm and directly related to it like drowning or a building falling on you. Anything stress related like heart attacks doesn't count. Probably death by power failure doesn't either *looks meaningfully at hospitals* but I'm not an expert on the criteria.

Yeah we already know it's going to keep going up :/

Infrastructure is so broken that they don't have resources available to certify the dead so the number just kinda sits where it is until that can happen.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

stone cold posted:

It's filibusterable if I recall correctly, so no.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

stone cold posted:

Needs to pass the filibuster, so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Office Pig posted:

It's filibusterable if I recall correctly, so no.

theflyingorc posted:

Needs to pass the filibuster, so no

good

• Locked thread