Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

La Brea Carpet posted:

Can my dad really hire a bounty hunter to kidnap me from college and take me home? (MS/TN)

That poor kid. They're in for a lot of awkward conversations with HR once they enter the workforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

I dunno man, if this thread has taught me anything it's that people are just terrible at gift-giving. Then again my first serious boyfriend didn't get me anything for our first anniversary because he 'didn't know it was that kinda holiday' and another one didn't buy me anything because 'he didn't know what I'd want'.

People are just real dumb, I guess is what I'm getting at. Or maybe people just don't want to give me gifts.

Yeah I mean gift giving can be hard but imo it's better to try and fail than it is to us to give up. Like yeah I can think of stuff I've given or received that was considerate but still missed the mark, but like the idea/effort still feels nice and counts a long way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [35F] with my wife [33F] Married 2 years, just found out wife is a convicted felon & other goodies

quote:

I met her about 4 years ago (friend of a friend kind of thing) and started dating. Two years later we are Married. Things have been good, typical relationship stuff but I'm happy.

We had gotten to the place in life where we were looking to get into a gated community so that we could start a family that we both want. This is where the problem started to arise. We had to submit to background checks which I thought was going to be a no brainer for us to get in. She didn't hesitate to fill it out so I never thought a thing about it.

When we got the letter denying our application due to a felony conviction I flipped out wanting to go to their office and give them a piece of my mind.

That's when she decided to come clean.

My wife's life has not been nearly as boring and mundane as she had pretended it to be. In fact her teen years and early 20's were quite, I'm not sure exciting is the right word but something like that.

She started smoking pot at 15 and then soon after graduated to Crystal Meth. This led to several juvenile arrest for possession, criminal trespass and theft (she liked to shoplift apparently).

Then she got hooked up with people who made and distributed Meth which led to adult arrests for possession but worse manufacturing and distribution. However the worst was that she was arrested for helping rob a store and since they were armed when they did it and she had a record already they made their arrest felony's and refused to allow plea bargaining it down.

She also had a couple of overdoses and other things (I'm not even sure what) that were in there.

She said at 23 she had a close friend OD and die and that is when she decided to turn her life around. She moved back in with her parents, got clean and finished school. She swears she has been clean and away from those people for over 10 years.

I am totally bewildered as to what to think or do here. I have a flood of emotions and I don't know where I should go with them.

First of all I am not happy that this was hidden from me.

Second I am not happy that now as long as we are married my credit is tied to her and her background will always be there and there is nothing I can do about it. It has already cost us the ideal housing situation and I can't even think about what else it could cost.

Third I don't know if I'm thrilled with the idea of her former associates ever finding her or us. I don't want criminals hanging out in my house, however it is not lost on me that I am living with one (former anyway).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated here, I am at a total loss. I mean in some way's it shouldn't be an issue because I never knew before however it has now become an issue and will always be an issue due to her record.

P.S. Just fyi she spent 2.5 years in a state womens correctional facility back in her home state when she was 20 and was on probation for 5 more years after. She claims that she is under no restrictions or any type of probation today.

tl;dr: Due to denied background check found out wife was convicted felon and had entire other life I didn't know about.

(update, Jesus what a mess)Me [35F] with my wife [33F] Married 2 years, just found out wife is a convicted felon & other goodies

quote:

Look I'm not proud of this but after talking with her and reading all of the reply's out there I did something that I'm not sure I regret or regret not doing it sooner. I used her ss# and did a criminal background check on her. (yes I used my work place's service for this, again not proud but I did it)

Let's just say that if I had an old printer I would have used reams of paper on it.

It didn't show any of her juvenile arrests but there were a poo poo ton of arrests and several more that she didn't tell me about.

We've talked btw and I told her then to just tell me everything so I wouldn't be blindsided again. She doesn't know I ran this btw. She said she told me everything.

However when I view her record she certainly has not told me everything and there is one thing that I am going to confront her about and this now has me doing the pause in where I stand with her.

Honestly I don't know how our car insurance isn't through the roof. Her license had been suspended multiple times and oh btw she had a conviction for DUI causing bodily harm (how that is not a felony I have no idea).

But the one that hit me in the gut was for solicitation. My understanding of that is that this is prostitution. I've seen online that it can be trying to get others to willfully commit a crime so maybe this had to do with the drugs, I'm not sure.

I know that people are going to scorch me on this but if this was for prostitution I think that is going to be it for me.

No matter if it is or isn't I'm not happy with her at all right now as I gave her every chance to be honest with me the other night and she didn't tell me about the suspended licenses, the bodily injury or this solicitation. I feel like I'm getting trickle truth here and I don't like it one bit.

EDIT I have no idea how I hosed up the title like this. I'm a dude, that should say 35 M.

tl;dr: Did background check and found more "things" she didn't tell me about. Going to confront her tonight about the solicitation and if it is what I think it is I might be done.
:rip:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
*rolls advice dice, or AdDice™*

Have you tried having a baby?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Haifisch posted:

Me [35F] with my wife [33F] Married 2 years, just found out wife is a convicted felon & other goodies

(update, Jesus what a mess)Me [35F] with my wife [33F] Married 2 years, just found out wife is a convicted felon & other goodies

Armed robbery and selling crystal meth are fine, but having sex for money? That's a dealbreaker apparently.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

SirSamVimes posted:

Armed robbery and selling crystal meth are fine, but having sex for money? That's a dealbreaker apparently.

She either agrees with the distinction or, more likely, knows him well enough to expect that he'd feel that way. In either case, she probably should have told him about it. It's likely over either way, but at least if she'd fessed up she'd have reclaimed some integrity.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It could easily be the thing in her entire life she's most ashamed of.

I wish we could see how this ends

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I didn't say it would be pleasant. One of those situations where everybody involved is getting hosed by reality.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

fruit on the bottom posted:

I wish we could see how this ends
There's a third, deleted, update, but have this gem that was quoted in one of the comments:

quote:

She said "I don't care how lowly you think I went or even what you thought of me, but I never go so low that I sold myself or traded myself for a hit" and here is the part I had to all but hold myself together for "I didn't suck dick to get a fix".

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gorilla Salad posted:

You can't be racist against white people.

yes you can

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

And, of the things mentioned, is probably the one I'd least hold against her.
(Most is DUI. gently caress drunk-drivers.)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yes. White people cannot be victims of structural racism (in the west) but I don't see how someone can't be a victim of racism just because they're white lmao how does that make sense.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Just as long as everybody acknowledges that at this point the argument is about what word should be used to describe a mutually understood phenomenon (in this case, people presupposing things about white people based on the fact that they're white.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Just as long as everybody acknowledges that at this point the argument is about what word should be used to describe a mutually understood phenomenon (in this case, people presupposing things about white people based on the fact that they're white.)

Nah the point of this is white people being whiny.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah the point of this is white people being whiny.

Wait, I didn't address what the point of it was. I mean, the word was in there but in a totally different way!

I think there maybe IS no point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

lemon-lyme disease posted:

No, at this point it's white fragility.

\/ Nah, you're cool. I get what you were saying. It's the losers running in out of breath to do their best "Not all white people" routine I was referring to.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 4, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Okay, jeez. As long as the fragile thing I get to be is a nesting doll.

Also at no point did I support the idea that "racism" is the right word. Just figured I should make that clear. At least as clear as the fact that I think nesting dolls are pretty cool.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, at this point it's white fragility.

So it's white fragility when white kids get beaten up for being white at majority non-white schools?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Haifisch posted:

What did he expect her to do, answer his marriage proposal with "yes! by the way I was a drug dealer ten years ago, six years before we met"? I mean, I get why he feels weird about it, but it's the past.

A good friend of mine had a long term gf with a similar past, and she was a bit of a mess. But if this dude's wife has not caused him any complaint otherwise, the moral thing to do would be to come to terms with it. They'll just have to have their babies outside a gated community (the horror) and then move in once the crimes go off her record. This happens in the US, right? You're not still living the Les Miserables experience?

Anyway, from a quick google solicitation -- the crime -- normally means prostitution in the UK, but not in the US.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Whorelord posted:

So it's white fragility when white kids get beaten up for being white at majority non-white schools?

In America? Yeah.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Racism involves structural disadvantage and baked-in assumptions from the majority culture. As such, you can't be racist against white people.

What you can be is prejudiced. Prejudice does not involve structural disadvantage, just a hate of the Other.

hth, dumb and fragile white goons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What about when non-white people are racist against other non-white people? Do you have to judge which has the more power?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Adam Vegas posted:

Racism involves structural disadvantage and baked-in assumptions from the majority culture. As such, you can't be racist against white people.

What you can be is prejudiced. Prejudice does not involve structural disadvantage, just a hate of the Other.

hth, dumb and fragile white goons

racism
ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun

noun: racism
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
"a programme to combat racism"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Adam Vegas posted:

Wow, this thread sure is a honeypot for fools. This R word, what does it mean? How could we ever find out what it is, and its use in the modern day?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I expected some idiot would look up the dictionary defintion but two?

So many fragile white people

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

so you dont have a counter argument except to argue against the english language itself?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Do you think posting the dictionary definition is an argument? Because it isn't.

No one who has ever posted the dictionary definition of something has ever won that argument because it's not actually an argument but a retreat into pedantry.

If you want to argue against an incredibly common and for the most part only real use of a word fine, but quoting the dictionary ain't gonna be enough. As dictionaries are not infallible sources of info.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 4, 2017

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
remember that fragile white retarded kid who got tortured by all those black people?

What a whiny loser.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

remember that fragile white retarded kid who got tortured by all those black people?

What a whiny loser.

or those pathetic white kids from rotherham who were victims of a child sex abuse ring comprised of pakistanis. loving white fragility at large there

edit: the girls were also working class which is also a big reason why no one seemed to care

quote:

Do you think posting the dictionary definition is an argument? Because it isn't.

No one who has ever posted the dictionary definition of something has ever won that argument because it's not actually an argument but a retreat into pedantry.

If you want to argue against an incredibly common and for the most part only real use of a word fine, but quoting the dictionary ain't gonna be enough. As dictionaries are not infallible sources of info.

i mean when arguing about the definition of a word i'd say a dictionary is pretty good...

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 4, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whorelord posted:

or those pathetic white kids from rotherham who were victims of a child sex abuse ring comprised of pakistanis. loving white fragility at large there

i mean when arguing about the definition of a word i'd say a dictionary is pretty good...

Dictionaries are constantly trying to catch up with how we use language, not the other way around. If a word is used enough a certain way, the word's definition will either change, or be added. If arguing about the history of a word, a dictionary is perfect, if arguing about the best word to use for translations, a dictionary is great! Actually arguing about the only factual definition? Not so much. Language simply doesn't work that way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Whorelord posted:

There was no racism there, in fact they really liked those white kids.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Whorelord posted:

#WhiteTears

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Turtlicious posted:

Dictionaries are constantly trying to catch up with how we use language, not the other way around. If a word is used enough a certain way, the word's definition will either change, or be added. If arguing about the history of a word, a dictionary is perfect, if arguing about the best word to use for translations, a dictionary is great! Actually arguing about the only factual definition? Not so much. Language simply doesn't work that way.

except that the people that 'you cannot be racist to white people' are arguing that only structural/institutional racism is the only racism that exists which is blatantly false. i mean i'm not sure what else you're supposed to call being specifically targeted as a victim of assault because of your race other than racist.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 4, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whorelord posted:

except that the people that 'you cannot be racist to white people' are arguing that only structural/institutional racism is the only racism that exists which is blatantly false. i mean i'm not sure what else you're supposed to call being specifically targeted as a victim of assault because of your race other than racist.

I was more commenting on a pet peeve of mine, not the argument as a whole, but yeah, there's a reason why you can't call a Black dude the N word, but you can call a white dude Cracker, and it largely has to do with the power imbalance.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Oh my gods! Take this awful racism discussion to D&D, you cunts.

This is the thread for laughing at r/relationships.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Turtlicious posted:

I was more commenting on a pet peeve of mine, not the argument as a whole, but yeah, there's a reason why you can't call a Black dude the N word, but you can call a white dude Cracker, and it largely has to do with the power imbalance.

The power imbalance can exist seperately and manifest as institutional racism without having to redefine a word so you can bitch about white people all day.

The whole 'racism equals power plus prejudice' thing is out of its original context: '...for the purposes of this conversation, wait where are you all going' on social science campuses. It was never meant to be seriously used and argued in a public context, as seen with how it is universally met with confusion, anger and mockery.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Jfc pull up thread!

My [27 F] husband [25 M] and I have been married for less than six months and I can't have sex with him because of something awful that he did to me

quote:

u/bridethrowaway2017
My husband and I got married at the end of June of 2017 and we were together for seven years before we got married. We had a fight at the end of August. During this fight I was sobbing so hard in the bathroom that I was gagging and choking, like I was going to throw up. I went into our bedroom and my husband and I continued to fight and I continued to cry. Eventually, my husband mimicked how I was gagging from crying so hard. I have never felt so disgusted with another person or so embarrassed. Several days after the fight, I tried to explain to him how him mimicking me requires him to sincerely apologize and he refused. We have not had sex or even touched each other since this incident and I am having a very difficult time moving past what has happened and need advice as to what to do to move on.

tl;dr: Mandatory summary/question! My husband and I had a terrible fight over a month ago and he did something awful during the fight. We haven't touched each other since the fight and I cannot move on from what he did. What should I do to get over it?

"Abloo bloo bloo racism *hork hork* white people bloo bloo duuuuur" that's how you sound, right there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bubblyblubber posted:

Jfc pull up thread!

My [27 F] husband [25 M] and I have been married for less than six months and I can't have sex with him because of something awful that he did to me

I saw "something awful" and assumed he'd made bad posts about their argument and then pushed her into a well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BluesShaman posted:

Oh my gods! Take this awful racism discussion to D&D, you cunts.

I agree. This turned into a textbook case of white fragility and will be a good teaching example*.

* also, to laugh at them.