Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm glad they're focusing on the city lore with the new box releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have some Dragon Princes coming in the mail and I am excited to build some fancy Elf boys. In AoS are they still on calvary bases or on like a 40mm round or something?

Also, changing the name to Dragon Blades is dumb. :colbert:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Lord_Hambrose posted:

At least they didn't go all Orruk Aelf and call them Drakkoth Blaydes or some poo poo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Percelus posted:

i'm glad they're focusing on the city lore with the new box releases

Yeah, doing some worldbuilding is a really good idea, since it's the thing most people complain about in regards to AoS' fluff.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have some Dragon Princes coming in the mail and I am excited to build some fancy Elf boys. In AoS are they still on calvary bases or on like a 40mm round or something?

Cavalry is 35x60mm ovals, I think?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I've been playing some 1k point games and ready to expand my army some. Is 6 heroes too many for my nurgle army? I was wanting to go with a chaos lord general, chaos sorcerer, festus, nurgle daemon prince, exalted hero of chaos, and herald of nurgle. If I can get him, then horticulous will replace festus and the exalted hero.

Backing them up will be 20 warriors, 5 knights, and a chariot from my slaves start collecting, and then 30 plaguebearers, 3 plague drones from my nurgle one. Plus 5 blight kings to cast daemonic power on.

I know locally there's sky dwarves, skaven, ironjawz, more nurgle, and various kinds of elves.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
So the https://warhammerunderworlds.com/ page is up with lots of details. Anyone had a chance to play a demo copy?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
There's play throughs on youtube.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I already play 40K, and have been eying the Seraphon models for this game. One thing I'm not really clear on is Summoning. Can you just automatically use it to heal an existing unit, or is that an entirely separate spell?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Strobe posted:

I already play 40K, and have been eying the Seraphon models for this game. One thing I'm not really clear on is Summoning. Can you just automatically use it to heal an existing unit, or is that an entirely separate spell?

The way I interpreted summoning, is that each Summon-able unit gives a wizard Summon: X spell and in your hero phase a wizard in your army can try and cast Summon: X to bring that unit onto the table (if it started in reserve). I don't think you can infinitely resummon units to bolster numbers but rather bring a reserved unit into play, much like deepstriking in 40k.

In pitched battles your list will already have allocated x points for the units to be summoned, so casting the spell will summon already costed models.

E.g. The Warscroll for Saurus Knights has this:

So, when you have Saurus Knights in your army, all of that army's wizards have the spell Summon Saurus Knights. You've already allocated the cost of the 5-10 Saurus Knights in your list, so summoning 5 Knights on a roll of 6+ and 10 Knights on 10+. Once you've summoned your allocated points worth, I don't think you can summon any more.

As for non-pitched battles, who the gently caress knows "Forge your own narrative" I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

richyp posted:

The way I interpreted summoning, is that each Summon-able unit gives a wizard Summon: X spell and in your hero phase a wizard in your army can try and cast Summon: X to bring that unit onto the table (if it started in reserve). I don't think you can infinitely resummon units to bolster numbers but rather bring a reserved unit into play, much like deepstriking in 40k.

In pitched battles your list will already have allocated x points for the units to be summoned, so casting the spell will summon already costed models.

E.g. The Warscroll for Saurus Knights has this:

So, when you have Saurus Knights in your army, all of that army's wizards have the spell Summon Saurus Knights. You've already allocated the cost of the 5-10 Saurus Knights in your list, so summoning 5 Knights on a roll of 6+ and 10 Knights on 10+. Once you've summoned your allocated points worth, I don't think you can summon any more.

As for non-pitched battles, who the gently caress knows "Forge your own narrative" I guess.

You don't have to allocate any points for the Saurus kngihts in particular. You can spending the summoing points on whatever you want so long as it does not exceed your summoning budget.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

I already have these guys (couldn't resist) and modelled all 5 with the standard Aethershot Rifles

They tried to blend in with the Stormcast guys and gals but stood out.... (cross-post from the busier thread)

richyp posted:

The Militia from the City of Pastelheim-on-Purpleteal are a modern and equal opportunities organisation, first they hired a female Stormcast that for some reason looked exactly the same as the rest of them (it later transpired that 50% of them were already and noone knew as they wore helmets) and now they're hiring vertically challenged folk from the sky.

Not sure whether it was a good idea to try and keep the colour scheme from the Stormcasts and apply it to the Squat Sky Dwarf Kharadron Overlords. Ideally the purple needs to be where the gold is, and vice versa, but that would make the cloth gold and the metal bits purple, so unless anyone has any ideas before I paint the other 4 of them it'll have to do I guess. The other option of purple straps and blue cloth might work but its puts the blue next to the gold then rather than the purple like on the Stormcasts.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
I'm thinking about starting up a sigmar force, and I'm on edge between kharadron overlords and sylvaneth.

Anyone who plays either able to fill me in on any quirks, pitfalls, etc of these factions before I commit?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nifara posted:

I'm thinking about starting up a sigmar force, and I'm on edge between kharadron overlords and sylvaneth.

Anyone who plays either able to fill me in on any quirks, pitfalls, etc of these factions before I commit?

They're both solid armies that are more or less guaranteed future support.

Toss a coin, really.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're both solid armies that are more or less guaranteed future support.

Toss a coin, really.

drat, I was hoping you'd make it easy for me to choose :P

I'm teetering towards sylvaneth, but dammit those airships are just wonderful.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Or choose your favourite units from both as they're both Grand Alliance Order you can mix and match entirely or have a majority from one with the others as allies to keep the faction specific rules from your majority faction.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Sylaventh and oversquats aren't allies, so you'd have to run an Order allegiance army to use them both, no faction specific rules.

(easy enough since they both have decent non-specific battleline units)

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

Or choose your favourite units from both as they're both Grand Alliance Order you can mix and match entirely or have a majority from one with the others as allies to keep the faction specific rules from your majority faction.

The Sylvaneth don't ally with anyone except Stormcast and the Wanderers I think. Playing generic Order is fun if you like having a variety of models and options, but Kharadron and Sylvaneth get a lot better with their allegiance abilities.

Both are cool factions. The angry trees teleport around forests, have an inexpensive resilient battle line unit and the Kurnoth Hunters seem like one of the better units in the game.

The Overlords can zoom around the board on their ships and try to just pound the enemy with broadsides and firing lines.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Doh, I forgot that there were restrictions on allies, I was thinking it was Alliance wide. I should probably actually play a game sometime rather than armchair general :).

There is a Firestorm option though, at least if I'm looking at the GW site correctly:

Hammerhal as it'll let you use all order units (with the exception of Seraphon), but with a city rule:

Seems like it would benefit an army of expensive units, so that the unit count is in your opponents favour.

EDIT: Just pulled out the Chaos box of painted guys to work out what to do after the unit of Kharadon for my wife's Order army and realised that before I buy any more Chaos stuff I need another start collecting box of something to fit the painted guys in, as this one's full.

richyp fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 3, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Nifara posted:

Sylvaneth are a really low investment, model wise too - they don't have a lot of unit-bloat like some armies in my opinion (15 warscrolls for assorted blood-somethings, in the khorne books for example) and instead have a beautiful range of general dudes with cool options. I recently played in a 1250 point AoS tourney and only had 40 models, and I went through it undefeated.

Also, Tree-lords are kickin rad.

Edit: All these people talking allies aren't mentioning an important thing: Never ever break your Sylvaneth allegiance. When taking allies always make sure whatever you are doing keeps your Sylv allegiance, because as soon as it's broken you no longer receive free Wildwoods, and they are a huge part of your army.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nifara posted:

Sylvaneth has cooler models

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Tree lords are terrifying

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You will need to make some forest terrain for your wildwoods unless you want to double the amount you're paying to start off. Only GW would make you spend $90 on a bunch of trees.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Double post - quick WIP lineup of my Sigmarines. I figure they're a salt-of-the-earth Chamber that were mostly ordinary people from the world-that-was and the Age of Chaos who picked up whatever they had to hand and fought back to protect their communities. They build forts, roads and infrastructure behind the bulk of the main armies, helping to resupply other warrior chambers, whilst reconnecting local tribes and teaching them that you can worship whoever, but not Chaos, because come on. You seen those dudes?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 4, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Serotonin posted:

Tree lords are terrifying

Any suggestions for armies? I have 4 Treelords to assemble.

2 Treelord Ancients
1 Spirit of Durthu
1 Treelord

Does that seem right?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Double post - quick WIP lineup of my Sigmarines. I figure they're a salt-of-the-earth Chamber that were mostly ordinary people from the world-that-was and the Age of Chaos who picked up whatever they had to hand and fought back to protect their communities. They build forts, roads and infrastructure behind the bulk of the main armies, helping to resupply other warrior chambers, whilst reconnecting local tribes and teaching them that you can worship whoever, but not Chaos, because come on. You seen those dudes?

These look good. Non-gold Sigmarines are the best Sigmarines.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
It's really amazing how much better Sigmarines look in almost any colors other than gold 90% of the time.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

The Deleter posted:

It's nice to see more Sigmarines especially one's in cool colour schemes. I think the Studio colour scheme gives them a bad rap when in reality the models are no worse/better than Space Marines.

Bombogenesis posted:

It's really amazing how much better Sigmarines look in almost any colors other than gold 90% of the time.

I've been using gold as the third/fourth colour but mainly because as a yellow I'm liking how it kind of ties the blue and purple together. Still working on the backlog (they snake off round the side of the monitor and along the back of the desk :/ (everything from the Lord Relictor guy and back is in various states of base coating/priming. They've been sat under my monitor for a week or 2 now, taunting me)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hey, what colour did you put on those baserims? Because my main colour for my ironjawz is silver too, and I'm also gonna do grey bases, and that brown totally works.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hey, what colour did you put on those baserims? Because my main colour for my ironjawz is silver too, and I'm also gonna do grey bases, and that brown totally works.

It's Mournfang Brown, I used it for all my Order stuff, then switched to Rhinox Hide for the Chaos dudes (leather parts and weapon handles on my bad guys are done in Rhinox). I think Mournfang worked well with the Sigmarines because the gold washed with Agrax is a similar tone. Here's a side-by-side of both browns used with the grey bases.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm not sure if this should be an AoS or SG question, but does anyone know what the Shadespire "Power Decks" are supposed to be? I see that they are available for the core forces in addition to the core game. Are they just repeats of the core cards, or are they something different?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not sure if this should be an AoS or SG question, but does anyone know what the Shadespire "Power Decks" are supposed to be? I see that they are available for the core forces in addition to the core game. Are they just repeats of the core cards, or are they something different?

Each faction has a faction specific deck. The base game/supplement then has a generic pack of cards you could use with any faction.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The faction booster sets also have a generic set of cards in, but from what I've been told they're the same as in the starter.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

These look good. Non-gold Sigmarines are the best Sigmarines.

richyp posted:

It's nice to see more Sigmarines especially one's in cool colour schemes. I think the Studio colour scheme gives them a bad rap when in reality the models are no worse/better than Space Marines.

Thanks! I was looking at Roman Republic army stuff, so I went primarily silver with the red. I wanted to work in more leather at some point, but it didn't take off. Thankfully this is just the Storm of Sigmar box + Silver Tower expansion stuff, so I have plenty of chances to refine the process.

The worst thing about Shadespire is that it has two more Liberators, one with a Grandhammer, and a model you could pass off as a Knight Questor. They won't match the bases on my other dudes, though. :ohdear:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Age of Sigmar needs a general Skaven allegiance. ability. I hate being limited to a single clan or having to take chaos allegiance.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

SteelMentor posted:

The faction booster sets also have a generic set of cards in, but from what I've been told they're the same as in the starter.

No, they are definitely different to give everyone a reason to buy everything. The generic cards in the skeleton faction booster will be different to the ones in the starter, as well as there being a skeleton deck in there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My FLGS seems really invested in Shadespire becoming a thing, even set up a Facebook page for that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's been pretty much sheer apathy here. Other than people wanting the Skeletons because why wouldn't you want the Skeletons, interest in the game doesn't seem all that high.

40k 8th kinda took the wind out of Sigmar's sails around here for a lot of people (me included), we're starting a Firestorm campaign next week and interest is super low.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

dexefiend posted:

Any suggestions for armies? I have 4 Treelords to assemble.

2 Treelord Ancients
1 Spirit of Durthu
1 Treelord

Does that seem right?

It's possible to assemble a Lords of the Clan battalion with that. 2x Ancient + 1 Standard Treelord, and 2 Wyldwoods. Pick your character add-ons depending on your style. Roused by Magic threat from Wyldwoods is your friend and a good way to confound a Tzeentchian opponent.

36 Wounds, 3 models.

Allegiance: Order
Treelord Ancient (300) - General
Treelord Ancient (300)
Treelord (240)
Lords of the Clan (110)
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)
Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40)

Total: 990 / 1000

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SteelMentor posted:

There's been pretty much sheer apathy here. Other than people wanting the Skeletons because why wouldn't you want the Skeletons, interest in the game doesn't seem all that high.

40k 8th kinda took the wind out of Sigmar's sails around here for a lot of people (me included), we're starting a Firestorm campaign next week and interest is super low.

Firestorm looks interesting at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

SteelMentor posted:

Nurgle book or riot.

• Locked thread