Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lottie, I'm not sure this is so much a theory as a statement of the bleedin' obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It looks as though some time has passed, so Tim may be up to something even crazier than usual.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I hope it doesn't turn out that Tim's being possessed by some ghost scientist to explain his actions and that he's actually just a terrible human being.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Personally I think he's just schizophrenic or something. It's simple and kind of fits with the realism this last arc seems to be going for.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure the ghost dad is just a metaphor for the voice in Tim's head that tells him what he would like to be true, not an actual supernatural manifestation. Although in Tackleford it's hard to tell.

I wonder where all this is going to wind up. It's hard to imagine the final for-real-this-time ending to SGR not turning out well for Shelley, even if she dies a couple of times.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Another bleedin' obvious thing is that this teal lipstick is horrible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have a real hard time thinking Allison is going to kill pregnant/new mother Shelley. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but that seems darks even for him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Even if he does, she'll still be a central character in the strip and an active agent in the story.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Killing Shelley is practically a light-hearted reference at this point; she's come back from the dead... three times now? And it would establish that her Winters fetus is also indestructible.

After "...I like the way I see things," though, I can't actually see an ending that leaves Shelley sad.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure the ghost dad is just a metaphor for the voice in Tim's head that tells him what he would like to be true, not an actual supernatural manifestation. Although in Tackleford it's hard to tell.

I wonder where all this is going to wind up. It's hard to imagine the final for-real-this-time ending to SGR not turning out well for Shelley, even if she dies a couple of times.

Yeah, Tackleford being what it is made me think that this might be supernatural in nature, especially with the Mystery Kids on the case. :v:

I hope it ends with Shelley meeting Bruno again during her vacation and it turns out he's still got a spark for her. Guy seemed pretty decent in the small screentime he had.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

Another bleedin' obvious thing is that this teal lipstick is horrible.
I feel like Lottie is maybe considering following Esther down the path of Goth.

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, Tackleford being what it is made me think that this might be supernatural in nature, especially with the Mystery Kids on the case. :v:

I hope it ends with Shelley meeting Bruno again during her vacation and it turns out he's still got a spark for her. Guy seemed pretty decent in the small screentime he had.

I believe Lottie was planning on hooking her up with the sewerman general. It remains to be seen if that goes anywhere.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think the character will do something in the story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want webcomics to have better art then you should want the artists to do their webcomics more because that is practice that makes them better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

If you want webcomics to have better art then you should want the artists to do their webcomics more because that is practice that makes them better.

Sluggy Freelance would have a word with you on that

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Burkion posted:

Sluggy Freelance would have a word with you on that

Sometimes they only get better at drawing comics that look exactly the same as what they already looked like. Generally speaking these are not the artists who chase art fads however.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slight Freelance's art improved, peaked years ago, and then went back downhill again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Penny Arcade's art probably peaked around 2008-9 or so and now it's just... weird.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Penny Arcade's art probably peaked around 2008-9 or so and now it's just... weird.

I mean, it's not hideous, it's just not pleasant. (Also, that copy-paste, Christ.)

And you know he can do better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that loving hairblade

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

that loving hairblade

And fed by endless tortured prose
His hairblade like a cancer grows
Their garish visage copy-pasted
Their modest talent long since wasted
Unfunny comics by tired interns made
Underpaid
Repeating the sounds of dadjokes

You wanted jokes 'bout video games
So you've got no-one else to blame
Joyless speeches without meaning
Repulsive manboys always preening
And one day we hope that Penny Arcade
Won't be made
To spare us the sounds of dadjokes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

poor Tycho, forevermore a cylinder

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In a way, I'm surprised Penny Arcade isn't worse. It's not like there's anyone to tell them to improve/something sucks.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rand Brittain posted:

Killing Shelley is practically a light-hearted reference at this point; she's come back from the dead... three times now? And it would establish that her Winters fetus is also indestructible.

After "...I like the way I see things," though, I can't actually see an ending that leaves Shelley sad.
Having a kid didn't seem to noticeably change Amy much because she had already grown into a responsible adult.

This won't the same for Shelley.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like, on the one hand the Penny Arcade guys clearly have more fun working on their side projects where they get to experiment a lot more.. but then when it came time to actually do a full print run of Lookouts, they contracted it out to another writer/artist team :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My webcomic is a fashion statement.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 4, 2017

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
woah Ronnie

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rand Brittain posted:

It feels like John Allison's work has basically steadily increased in realism and maturity from those days where teenage Esther could get married to a satanist and then sent to hell as a joke. Shelley is probably not dying this time.

Bongo Bill posted:

It really depends on the sort of comic it is and the goals of the artist. Sometimes putting out consistent work 5x a week is the goal.

People rag on PA's art for some reason, but seriously.
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2017/10/04/

Art is not the issue with this comic. There is no level of Art that could make any difference to this comic.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 4, 2017

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

At least Penny Arcade stopped doing that ridiculous red tumor nose they that was so common a couple years back.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Galvanik posted:

At least Penny Arcade stopped doing that ridiculous red tumor nose they that was so common a couple years back.

Big red noses and everybody had chipmunk teeth. It looked like the art design you'd find in the Little Golden Book Tijuana Bible.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Woah, Rjinder's skin monster. :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, Rjinder's skin monster. :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Yeah :stare: It was starting to feel a bit over-hyped and the tension had sort of fizzled out, then... *slice*

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This reads like it's supposed to be a really on-point parody of PA/etc. comics, like something that would be done by 4chan.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
woah skinnie

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Isn't Penny arcade done by unpaid interns now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Isn't Penny arcade done by unpaid interns now

There's never been any confirmation but the art's become so uneven that it's not an unfair guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am willing to testify that Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik held me as prisoner for two years and nine months so that I would produce one strip per week. I know that they held others to produce more. I do not know who they are or what's happened to them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So for the hell of it, I decided to take six-month snapshots to look at the art evolution, and I made a couple observations:

1. Holy poo poo, I can't believe I actually used to like PA in middle school and high school. Like, there's some good strips in there, but a lot of them... yikes

2. This explains a lot about the cesspit that is gaming culture

3. Holy poo poo, I can't believe PA has been around for nearly twenty years

November 1998:

May/November 1999:

May/November 2000:

May/November 2001:

May/November 2002:

May/November 2003:

May/November 2004

May/November 2005

May/November 2006

May/November 2007

May/November 2008

May/November 2009

May/November 2010

May/November 2011

May/November 2012

May/November 2013

May/November 2014

May/November 2015

May/November 2016

May/October 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't think of anything nice to say about any of that.

Edit: Oh, wait. Child's Play is a thing that I'm glad exists. So, reluctantly, I am by extension glad that PA exists.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I know it's sad to feel nostalgic for the garbage fire that is Penny Arcade but man seeing some of those old strips make me really miss PA circa 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They have my son