Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Serf posted:

Are there any RPG supplements or sections of books that go into eating monsters? Like cutting a few steaks off a griffin or frying up some owlbear wings? I imagine they would be used a food sources, but thinking back on it I can't remember reading anything in all those 3.0 books about eating the weird poo poo you kill.

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Dungeon Meshi is legit good way beyond the D&D aspect. It's well drawn, the characters are fun, there's some pretty good eye to detail, etc. The D&D factor of it is fun, but also it's really not about D&D. That's just...kinda the setting, I guess. Which, of course, is why it's legit good - because there actually IS a "beyond the D&D aspect."

ITT actual legit manga recommendations apparently.

It's a good comic.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

theironjef posted:

I need to commission a few pieces of D&D character art and I have no idea where to go or how to start. I worry that whatever numbers I think might be correct for both time it will take and amount it will cost will just offend whatever artist I try to talk to.

This is my friend. She's much faster than expected and has a pretty cool style. She tends to do lineart stuff, but if you tell her other Alex offered to do the colouring, she can reach out to me, since that's the one thing I do a decent job at:

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 3, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

L5R is one of those things I remember loving as a kid but is actively embarrassing looking at it now, specifically the depths of orientalism in the "this is what John Wick thinks of Asia" sense. Whether its hilariously inappropriate language/slurs being borrowed, "realism" that is anything but, or artwork that mostly looks like white people in cosplay, it just comes across as skeevy to me now in a way that wasn't apparent ~15+ years ago.

FFG is probably going to be a bit better with it than AEG, probably.

I wish there was a historically accurate TRPG based on the Sengoku Era with a ruleset and stuff similar to L5R. I just wanna play as an aesthete samurai tea master.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Plutonis posted:

I wish there was a historically accurate TRPG based on the Sengoku Era with a ruleset and stuff similar to L5R. I just wanna play as an aesthete samurai tea master.

There's always Sengoku.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

SunAndSpring posted:

What systems are good for playing mech pilots?

I'm currently running a ~monthly mecha game in Panic at the Dojo and it's been very well-received.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

theironjef posted:

I need to commission a few pieces of D&D character art and I have no idea where to go or how to start. I worry that whatever numbers I think might be correct for both time it will take and amount it will cost will just offend whatever artist I try to talk to.

Check deviantart. Any artist who takes commissions will have standardized rates with clear examples of what you're looking for.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zoro posted:

Check deviantart. Any artist who takes commissions will have standardized rates with clear examples of what you're looking for.

Yeah, I've been poking around in there. It's mostly fat fetishists, anime tracers, and people that stopped posting in 2013, but I am looking.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

theironjef posted:

Yeah, I've been poking around in there. It's mostly fat fetishists, anime tracers, and people that stopped posting in 2013, but I am looking.

There are good artists. A good system is to check your favorite art in your favorite roleplaying book. Guaranteed that guy has a deviantart account. Found a few people that way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Everyone moved from DA to Tumblr/Pixiv a trillion years ago

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Twitter is also a great source of artists because they all follow each other there. Find one, find loads.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Plutonis posted:

Everyone moved from DA to Tumblr/Pixiv a trillion years ago

Have I become the old?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Serf posted:

Are there any RPG supplements or sections of books that go into eating monsters? Like cutting a few steaks off a griffin or frying up some owlbear wings? I imagine they would be used a food sources, but thinking back on it I can't remember reading anything in all those 3.0 books about eating the weird poo poo you kill.

Ed Greenwood wanted to do an article about this back in the day, but apparently they thought it was in poor taste or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ha! I get it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Is the Lancer RPG any good?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is the Lancer RPG any good?

You have to roll a die every session to not be psychically commanded to pierce your own heart

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

How good would Lancer be for Battletech? It looks like it's mostly about fast, mobile mechs rather than lumbering monstrosities. Maybe Heavy Gear would be good

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Lightning Lord posted:

How good would Lancer be for Battletech? It looks like it's mostly about fast, mobile mechs rather than lumbering monstrosities. Maybe Heavy Gear would be good

I briefly considered a game about battle armor rather than mechs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

I believe its been said that Lancer accommodates both types

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Probably a bit late, but any :australia: goons going to be at PAXaus?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Moving this to the chat thread since it's only loosely SotDL related:

LGD posted:

Incidentally, for those interested, the next version of the Lancer public beta is up here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2mQ7IPn-PsqNE9uYkp4Yjh6VUE

Man, I really like this. It needs a few more options (a heavy gunner talent for MGs/cannons is conspicuously missing) but on the whole the more I read it, the more excited I get for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
speaking of betas!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/

e: first thing that jumps out at me in the setting stuff is that they ditched eta and now call the lowest class burakumin

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

Moving this to the chat thread since it's only loosely SotDL related:

Man, I really like this. It needs a few more options (a heavy gunner talent for MGs/cannons is conspicuously missing) but on the whole the more I read it, the more excited I get for it.

You should email the creators if you've got feedback. Abaddon/Operant/the Kill 6 Billion Demons guy has an account here but he doesn't seem to use it all that much, and idk if he even reads this subforum, but he's been very polite and receptive to feedback so far.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

speaking of betas!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/

e: first thing that jumps out at me in the setting stuff is that they ditched eta and now call the lowest class burakumin

quote:

There is a third class, called burakumin, or “hamlet people,” who are sometimes known as hinin, or non-people. Due to their proximity to death or dishonorable acts, these criminals, torturers, undertakers, butch- ers, and tanners are considered unfit as companions for samurai save in the direst of circumstances. Even a kindly lord’s speech might be discolored by the pejorative term eta, a slur meaning “abundance of filth.”

Burakumin are considered deeply unclean, and associating with them too often requires the samurai to undertake special purification rituals. Burakumin must live in special villages on the outskirts of society, and they are deeply afraid of samurai. More so than bonge, burakumin can be killed for no reason at all, without any consequences. Testing newly forged blades by cutting down the nearest hinin isn’t uncommon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's steeped in historicity? Although I don't know if Burakumin were specially singled out for 'Tsujigiri'.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Plutonis posted:

It's steeped in historicity? Although I don't know if Burakumin were specially singled out for 'Tsujigiri'.

Yeah but Call of Cthulhu is set in the 20s and doesn't have a huge section talking about "negros" or "Chinamen". And Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have Jewish ghettos.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

I'm too lazy to do anything but quote wikipedia here but it was a practice that arose out of the country being in chaos and was otherwise forbidden.

quote:

Tsujigiri (辻斬り or 辻斬, literally crossroads killing) is a Japanese term for a practice when a samurai, after receiving a new katana or developing a new fighting style or weapon, tests its effectiveness by attacking a human opponent, usually a random defenseless passer-by, in many cases during nighttime. The practitioners themselves are also referred to as tsujigiri.

In the medieval era, the term referred to traditional duels between bushi, but in the Sengoku period (1467–1600), widespread anarchy caused it to degrade into indiscriminate murder, permitted by the unchecked power of the bushi. Shortly after order was restored, the Edo government prohibited the practice in 1602. Offenders would receive capital punishment. The only known incident where a very large number of people were indiscriminately killed in the Edo period was the 1696 Yoshiwara spree killing (吉原百人斬り), where a wealthy lord had a psychotic fit and murdered dozens of prostitutes with a katana. He was treated by authorities as a spree killer and sentenced to death. Later, a kabuki play was made about the incident.

It basically just seems like, yeah it happened, but you're putting it front and center on one of the very first pages of the book, as a usual, accepted practice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

neaden posted:

Yeah but Call of Cthulhu is set in the 20s and doesn't have a huge section talking about "negros" or "Chinamen". And Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have Jewish ghettos.

It's worth pointing out burakumin are not an ethnic minority so this comparison doesn't fully scan.

Here's an article about it that's actually more concise than the wiki article which is a wall of citation needed remarks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34615972

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 5, 2017

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

It's worth pointing out burakumin are not an ethnic minority so this comparison doesn't fully scan.

Here's an article about it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34615972

Sure, okay, but ethnic prejudice is not the only kind of unfair pseudo-genetic discrimination:

""The LA Times" posted:

Ethnically identical to other Japanese, burakumin suffered for centuries at the bottom of the feudal hierarchy, digging graves, chopping meat and performing other jobs associated under Buddhism and the native Shinto religion with the impurities of death.

In recent decades, the former untouchables have made vast strides. Their slums have been cleaned up and education levels have risen. Many burakumin quietly blend into the rest of society, marrying outside their caste and taking on mainstream work.

But more than a century after Japan's caste system was abolished, in 1871, burakumin still face the injustice of bigotry -- scuttled engagements, the taunts of strangers, rejected job applications.

"There has been some progress," said Takao Yoshida of the Buraku Liberation League, Japan's largest outcast rights group. "But you face discrimination whenever you're at life's turning points, such as marriage and employment. You just can't avoid it."

Known in the feudal period as "filth" or "non-human," the outcasts were legally trapped below the castes of the warriors, artisans, farmers and merchants, which were themselves ranked in that order. Burakumin had to follow a dress code and were restricted to living in special hamlets.

Even after the caste system was outlawed, bias kept burakumin largely confined to their own villages, and they were easily singled out for abuse based on address.

It still happens. Japan's family registry keeps a file on every citizen's background going back generations, allowing potential marriage partners or employers to uncover burakumin origins.

Such discoveries have torpedoed many marriages and job applications, activists say.

EDIT: This article is from 2004.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Japan had an extremely real and brutal caste system for the vast majority of it's history and arguably a lot of the cultural impact remains a problem in less overt ways. Having a line of 'hey samurai are actually kinda in a situation where they can just be overtly evil and 90% of the population can only go 'uh that sure sucked' when it's over' isn't bad for establishing tone if they actually stick with it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Kai Tave posted:

You should email the creators if you've got feedback. Abaddon/Operant/the Kill 6 Billion Demons guy has an account here but he doesn't seem to use it all that much, and idk if he even reads this subforum, but he's been very polite and receptive to feedback so far.

I think he does, but I'll ask him. He should respond to PMs either way. His DMs are also open on Twitter.

There's also a subreddit now and a dedicated RPG room in the KSBD Discord, both of which I'm a mod in :shepface:

If none of that works for you I'll be sure to pass along critiques or questions.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm too lazy to do anything but quote wikipedia here but it was a practice that arose out of the country being in chaos and was otherwise forbidden.

It basically just seems like, yeah it happened, but you're putting it front and center on one of the very first pages of the book, as a usual, accepted practice.

And it only took 12 years to admit eta is a vile slur!

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 5, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
For that matter even away from the 'yea that's how poo poo worked' component, a lot of the best samurai stories involve the heroes being points of light in an oppressive and harsh world for the common people. You kinda can't have a world with cruel lords over taxing their people and junk without also having samurai who find no problem in strong arming a farmer that's starving. Heroes obviously shouldn't be doing that poo poo but their heroics would mean a lot more in a world where yea there is a pretty oppressive status quo even even you are loyal to the emperor and all.

It's like how Edge of the Empire works best when you are playing kinda dirtbag smuggler criminals too, but the whole point is you have more noble intent than most of your peers. If they go for that tone with L5R they could have a really good handling of it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

I think he does, but I'll ask him. He should respond to PMs either way. His DMs are also open on Twitter.

There's also a subreddit now and a dedicated RPG room in the KSBD Discord, both of which I'm a mod in :shepface:

If none of that works for you I'll be sure to pass along critiques or questions.

Thanks. I've been emailing him and he hasn't asked me to stop yet, but it's cool that Lancer seems to be getting so much attention.

Re: Burakumin, I hazily recall that one of the earlier Vampire: the Requiem supplements had a Japanese vampiric bloodline they decided to name the "Burakumin" and they copped some backlash for it, but I think it was more due to the thoughtless appropriation angle than the slur side of things.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

sexpig by night posted:

Japan had an extremely real and brutal caste system for the vast majority of it's history and arguably a lot of the cultural impact remains a problem in less overt ways. Having a line of 'hey samurai are actually kinda in a situation where they can just be overtly evil and 90% of the population can only go 'uh that sure sucked' when it's over' isn't bad for establishing tone if they actually stick with it.

I don't think invoking this kind of myth* is a very good way of doing that. there's plenty of actual grounded stuff they could invoke without falling into GW-style grimdark garbage

* yes, it's extremely loosely based on a real thing, but in a way that completely distorts reality. it would be like looking at the 30 years war and saying "in european society, getting together a group of men and burning a town to the ground unless they pay you off isn't uncommon"

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

sexpig by night posted:

America has an extremly real and brutal racial caste system for it's entire history and remains in some pretty overt ways. Still, if it turned out the Japanese version of Call of Cthulhu had a section about all the different racial slurs white Americans and it stressed at how a proper White person shouldn't be seen fraternizing with them etc it would come off as really weird. Like I could understand if this was an RPG written primarily by Japanese people/Japanese Americans but there is something that seems skeevy about mining the history of another culture for prejudice for an elfgame.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neaden posted:

D&D just has magical, thieving Roma stereotypes.

L5R is weird in that it has a system that could only exist in Japan in a world that's nothing like Japan. It also relies heavily on the myth of the Japanese nation state, that they are a homogenous people who have always existed on the Japanese home islands and had their culture as it's evolved today. It's possible for instance the Burakumin are the descendants of the original inhabitants of the Japanese archipelago and were given their role in society because they lost the wars of conquest against the bakufu but that's never addressed or suggested to my knowledge. It's lovely they have something like that in there but feudal Japan was a lovely, terrible place and there's a reason that system was so quickly abandoned in the face of foreign aggression.

EDIT: Just play Ninja Crusade I think is the best response I can give for anyone who wants a game in the same vein as L5R but without the baggage.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 5, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

D&D just has magical, thieving Roma stereotypes.

L5R is weird in that it has a system that could only exist in Japan in a world that's nothing like Japan. It also relies heavily on the myth of the Japanese nation state, that they are a homogenous people who have always existed on the Japanese home islands and had their culture as it's evolved today. It's possible for instance the Burakumin are the descendants of the original inhabitants of the Japanese archipelago and were given their role in society because they lost the wars of conquest against the bakufu but that's never addressed or suggested to my knowledge. It's lovely they have something like that in there but feudal Japan was a lovely, terrible place and there's a reason that system was so quickly abandoned in the face of foreign aggression.

Yep, L5R is bad at Japanese history all right.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just wanna be a Sanjuro and cut some fool ronin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I want to be Furuta from Hyouge Mono and usher a new era of aesthetic simplicty

• Locked thread