Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I always liked the idea that Gaff was monitoring Deckard as part of some kind of pilot program of introducing replicants into the police force. I like the way that it underscores the postmodern dimensions of the film (representations replacing reality, total commodification as the logical endgame of late capitalism, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ElectricSheep posted:

Maybe he was just programmed as such in order to be effective at his job? If you fall on the whole "he's a replicant" side of the debate, of course.

I'm firmly in the "doesn't matter" camp on whether or not Deckard is a replicant, but even supposing he was programmed, what does it say about our humanity that having the burden of memory made him a petty shitbag while the childlike Nexus 6 had the fierce will to live.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It works either way anyway, if he's human then yeah he's a typical lovely human, if he's a replicant, then just by existing in an environment where he interacts with folks like Bryant makes him a lovely human.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Is blade runner on Netflix? What's the "good version?" Figure I should watch it again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Final Cut is the latest and most definitive version of Blade Runner. Director's Cut if you can't get your hands on that. The rest are interesting curiosities but are weaker presentations of the film overall.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

trying to avoid spoilers and such for this but what's the 411 on which version to go see? I hate 3D so would prefer 2D but if the 3D is actually good and the definitive version then I guess I'd go see that one with ATMOS and all the bells and whistles.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I posted about this on the last page

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Will the fake IMAX be playing the 1.9:1 ratio or the 2.39:1? They seem like they have taller screens but they could just be closer. Either way I'm gonna see the normal ratio

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Penpal posted:

Will the fake IMAX be playing the 1.9:1 ratio or the 2.39:1? They seem like they have taller screens but they could just be closer. Either way I'm gonna see the normal ratio

Vegetable posted:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Vegetable posted:

I did some research about what's the best way to watch this film.

There's a 2D and 3D version, but Deakins has said they shot the film in 2D and the 3D was added only in post. There's also an IMAX cut in 1.9:1 while the "regular" cut is 2.39:1. The IMAX cut is advertised as having more image, meaning you'll literally see stuff that gets cut off in the regular version.

In the above link, he said that regular 2D would be his preference (as opposed to 3D or IMAX).

I'm gonna try to seek out a Dolby Atmos screening, too. My sense is sound's gonna be real important here. (Auro 11.1 sound may also be available, though I have no clue how that matches up to IMAX or Dolby Atmos.)

Awesome, thanks.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Oh yeah, I was asking if there was a distinction between mpx imax and bigass imax, and I googled it to find out mpx is just bigger widescreen and not scaled down boxy rectangle. I've only ever been to one real IMAX theatre so the aspect ratio distinction wasn't jumping out at me visually. Going to see it in vanilla and then mpx imax anyway, the brightness of the projection is a little low on some of the screens at my theatre, it was pretty bad for Mother! and BR isn't going to be the brightest film ever

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interestingly, unless my local (real) IMAX has things wrong, the IMAX print is 2D too. Even with the wrong aspect ratio in play I think that's the one I'll go see it at for the most impact.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
I'm watching Blade Runner. It's the 3rd time I've tried to watch this film.

I'm stricken now (for a third time) by how slow-moving and boring it is.

This movie would never have gotten off the ground with the kind of budget it had in today's Holywood.

There's something so stifling about the film. Claustrophobic. I feel many of the films of the 80s feel like this. Robocop. Batman.
They're all very creepy. Depicting depressing run-down futures that feature brutalist architecture and complete moral breakdown of society.
What is it about the 80s that made this so loving commonplace? In my opinion, it really doesn't make for an optimal movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

There's something so stifling about the film. Claustrophobic. I feel many of the films of the 80s feel like this. Robocop. Batman.
They're all very creepy. Depicting depressing run-down futures that feature brutalist architecture and complete moral breakdown of society.
What is it about the 80s that made this so loving commonplace?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11929436

:iamafag:

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
I'm sorry but Blade Runner is really like the Scarlet Letter of Science Fiction film. The pacing is extremely slow. Probably some of the slowest pacing I've ever seen in a movie.

I mean I'd watch 2001 over Blade Runner any single day of the year and enjoy it.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 4, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
LOL

I actually noticed this when I made the mistake of reading some comment sections for recent Blade Runner related news - people seem to be tripping over themselves to say how much they don't like it. They seem really proud of this, like it's rebellious in some way.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Don't sit and wait for the plot in blade runner. You have to just flow with the atmosphere and visuals/music. Really the plot is very simple, and honestly I am not sure there really is enough to support the cinematic blade runner universe they are trying to create. Those short films were rough...

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Ridley Scott should of made a Foundation movie instead of Blade Runner.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Some of the reviews coming from prominent review publications have expressed some sense of being underwhelmed, so I'd use that to moderate all the hype.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

I want to do what Roy does to Tyrell to Rachel (the Rachel in that article). What I am saying is that I want to 28-Days-Later-eye-gouge her to death

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I put Blade Runner on 9 times before I actually made it through the film. Every time apart from the 9th I fell asleep and woke up during the credits... I have no idea what it is about that film but it seems to inspire sleep in me, I've never fallen asleep watching any other film in my entire life.

great film but yeah, slowwwwwwwwwwww

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I never really felt that Blade Runner was particularly slow. Sure, the film takes time to establish mood and setting, but it's also constantly moving forward and introducing new elements. If that's slow, what would you call a Weerasethakul or Tarkovsky film?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I don't get it either. Maybe people are expecting an action movie or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't get it either. Maybe people are expecting an action movie or something.

Unfortunately a lot of the trailers make 2049 look like an action movie. I mean, I love action movies, but that's really not what Blade Runner was about.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The trailer companies basically have no faith in cutting trailers for Villeneuve's movies that don't make them look like the most generic, crowd-pleasing movies that you can make with footage.

I mean hey, they do a great job of that but they usually don't represent the movies well. Sicario's trailer was also very action oriented.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm all for trailers misrepresenting films to get butts in seats. Spring Breakers owes its box office to some trailer trickery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I never really felt that Blade Runner was particularly slow. Sure, the film takes time to establish mood and setting, but it's also constantly moving forward and introducing new elements. If that's slow, what would you call a Weerasethakul or Tarkovsky film?

Blade Runner is only two hours long. Every big dumb comic book movie of the past 10 years has a longer runtime and worse pacing.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Blade Snoozer

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

exquisite tea posted:

Blade Runner is only two hours long. Every big dumb comic book movie of the past 10 years has a longer runtime and worse pacing.

There have been so few sci-fi movies that aren't just action movies with a different backdrop in the last 30 years that I think some people can't wrap their heads around how it's in the future, but not pew-pew jokey joke all the time.

I just re-watched the Final Cut version last night, it's not a fast paced movie or anything but it's hardly OMG SOOOOOOOO SLOW either.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I imagine that if some of you ever watched a Bela Tarr film it would literally kill you.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vegetable posted:

I'm all for trailers misrepresenting films to get butts in seats. Spring Breakers owes its box office to some trailer trickery.

Same. I like when trailers trick people into seeing a good movie and then they get mad about it.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I'm watching Blade Runner. It's the 3rd time I've tried to watch this film.

I'm stricken now (for a third time) by how slow-moving and boring it is.

This movie would never have gotten off the ground with the kind of budget it had in today's Holywood.

What is it about the 80s that made this so loving commonplace? In my opinion, it really doesn't make for an optimal movie.

Man I just can't watch Alien, everyone talks about this very lived-in future but all I'm watching is some blue-collar workers having a space meal. Bo-ring.

The atmosphere basically is the whole movie. If you can get through the opening full of Vangelis and light making noise and fire and eyeball imagery and your brain hasn't completely shut off so that your butt is glued to the seat, Blade runner isn't the film for you.

As for why, it's not difficult to find the whole history. The future used to always be flashy and clean and hopeful. Think Flash Gordon. Then Star Wars happened, and everything felt very lived-in like it had centuries of history. Then Ridley Scott happened and the future was totally run-down and full of garbage (Alien, Blade Runner). This was due in part to so much of the politics of the 70s/80s/90s loving sucking and everybody felt like things were going to poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sorry, everything is boring now, movies are boring, we can't scare our dumb idiot viewers with something they aren't expecting.

edit: it'll probably be fine in the movie but what was the last film we got with really wacky fashion? I miss that.
The Neon Demon, but that's the exception that proves the rule, innit?

For a blockbuster, yeah probably The Hunger Games.

hump day bitches! posted:

I really liked it but I it felt like one of those old 90's outher limits episode stretched over 90 minutes.It says a lot about Villenueve that he was capable of getting a solid 7-8 out of such flimsy premise.
It's a good film but very much feels like eating your vegetables. It should have been like 45 minutes.

LesterGroans posted:

Same. I like when trailers trick people into seeing a good movie and then they get mad about it.
I love the "action movie" trailer for JCVD.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ridley Scott should of made a Foundation movie instead of Blade Runner.

Kind want to visit the timeline where he got to do his NC-17 for mega graphic violence Blood Meridian movie 2010-ish.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok so last night i attended a premiere event organised by sony with johnnie walker, they served these disgusting cocktails (lol) which are a thin sheer of JW with dry ice and caramel popcorn. it's like drinking candy! also they served neon blue and green drinks which are just lemonade spiked with lots of colouring

movie is good but manage expectations especially if you read headlines that "wow it's the sci-fi masterpiece you've been waiting for forever". it suffers a little from being anchored by a beloved film but nowhere as badly as the new Star Wars movies are. the cinematography is loving GORGEOUS, everything is atmospheric as gently caress and you definitely get the feel that they allow the camera to linger a little just letting you appreciate the vistas they are creating as a person slowly steps about. unfortunately this makes the movie slow and lol if you already think the first movie was unbearably that. the >3 hour film length explains why they were serving JW with coffee to people!

the ford-gosling fight scene is great. i'd say that alone is worth watching in the cinema but the whole movie is just so beautiful.

plot was alright, i like it a lot but maybe not as good as Arrival

incredible fact: harrison ford looked like he was actually acting instead of phoning it in like in Ep7. admittedly he doesn't get to spout cool quips ("that's not how it works!") but they make him emote and do not just action hero poo poo.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a showing at 1.30pm, but I gotta pick my son up from school at 3 and won't get the chance to go again for a few days hnnnngnngng

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Nothing too specific, spoilered just in case you want to remain totally pure and avoid my complaints.

Sony Pictures flashed up at the start and I was like wtf sucked in you loving idiot and my stomach sank. :(

It's 3 hours long, you've seen the cool shots in the trailer and I seriously wish we could move past Harrison Ford already loving hell gently caress off.

It's Villeneuve so it's nowhere near trash or anything and it looks good but jeez, I'd say temper any expectations.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I went and saw it today. I thought it was spectacular and amazingly captivating, both visually and emotionally.

The visuals in the movie are some of the best I think I've ever seen. I'm actually finding it hard to think of a movie that I can say had better imagery and was able to capture the feel for the different locations as well as Blade Runner 2049. The score worked really well with the cinematography as well and just left me feeling in awe in a bunch of places.

Not really a spoiler, but I'll spoiler it anyway:

The pacing is probably a little bit slow, but I honestly thought it worked to the credit of the movie and helped build the gravitas and suspense in a lot of scenes. I can see how some people might not like it, but it worked for me

Honestly, probably one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Loved it. Probably my favourite 'noove.
It's a great IMAX movie. The soundtrack just explodes at ya. Thankfully (at my theater at least) they didn't force the 3D version on you for large format.

For the Bluray, I'd love for them to do a gag audio track with narration like the original's theatrical version.

edit: Deckard/Replicant talk for those who've seen the movie.
So, Rachel was a new beta model of Tyrell's capable of reproduction, but Deckard presumably wouldn't have been the male equivalent, and if he wasn't also some experimental model, he wouldn't have been able to live this long.
(e: actually, looking back at the Batty/Tyrell scene in the original, the problem is adjusting life-span after it's been set. I guess if he was a super secret Replicant, he could have just not had a limit put in.)
He also didn't seem to have lost any memories from the blackout event.
Was he pretty safely revealed as human?
I can't remember much from the underground resistance or Leto/Ford scenes right now. Did those point back to robot?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 5, 2017

• Locked thread