Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nate fisher posted:

While I agree season 4 was a letdown, it never made me angry.

I think the only show to make me angry was Six Feet Under. Now this is one of my favorite shows of all-time, but around season 4 I became really angry with the show. This angry really peaked after episode 3 of that season when they tricked me into thinking that what I called the 'Lisa Problem' was over. This was due to Nate burning his bedding (during what is one of the best scenes of the show and bonus points for the use Radiohead's Lucky) and moving back into the house. But what happen the next episode? A psychic tells Nate Lisa is still alive. Shoot me now!. It goes downhill from there. This is a shame, because I love the first 3 seasons (also the season 3 finale was amazing). Season 5 wasn't bad (it really returned to form in the second half of the season and I changed my username on here right after Nate died that season), but season 4 is such a ugly season for a really good show.

Sorry for SFU rant. I haven't watched it since it originally aired on HBO. Maybe on a rewatch my mind will change.

I just got the entire show to watch (and trust me it's paining me to avoid reading your spoilers while writing this reply) and now I'm not so sure if I want to anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Six Feet Under is a good show if you like watching shitheads yell at each other

Watched the latest This Is Us and drat Kate u a idiot

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

I just got the entire show to watch (and trust me it's paining me to avoid reading your spoilers while writing this reply) and now I'm not so sure if I want to anymore.

Do not read them please (major season 5 spoiler in there). My complaint overall is a minor one, and if you binge watch the series season 4 may not seem that bad. Remember when I watched it when it aired which can make issues more frustrating, because you have to wait a week or even a year for the next season. Also my mother and her husband watched it last year for the first time, and they had no issues really. So watch it.

I didn't make my user name Nate Fisher, because I didn't like the show (I loved it). The show is great, it is just not perfect. I actually miss it.

Escobarbarian posted:

Six Feet Under is a good show if you like watching shitheads yell at each other

Watched the latest This Is Us and drat Kate u a idiot

This Is Us doesn't come close to Six Feet Under. It is such middle of the road.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 4, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

^^^^^^^^EDIT: Alright, cool. :shobon:

I keep wishing that someday the characters on This Is Us will start behaving like actual human beings instead of contrived drama machines. The show totally doesn't bother to earn its dramatic moments. I get it, you have a sad music quota for every episode but please give your characters some time to actually breathe between one life crisis and the next.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Just watch Six Feet Under, it's a good show. Even season four -- which is probably the worst season, even though I prefer it to season one -- is worth watching. It's easily the show at its most ambitious.

I mean, you know how serialised television will often have a really dark season somewhere in their run, where the cast ultimately spends most of the season at their absolutely lowest point, before rallying just at the very end? Season four of Six Feet Under is that, except without the melodrama. And the entire thing ends on a massive, deliberate, aggravating anti-climax. Like actually,
it's amazing.
I don't think it's meant to be an enjoyable season, but I think it's pretty drat powerful, and it's part of the reason why the final season is so satisfying.

Also, season four has That's My Dog, which is one of the most harrowing hours of television ever made, and a woman who confuses escaping sex dolls for the Rapture. It's totally worth it.

nate fisher posted:

I didn't make my user name Nate Fisher, because I didn't like the show (I loved it). The show is great, it is just not perfect. I actually miss it.

Alan Ball's got a new HBO show next year, which is meant to be similar to his work on Six Feet Under. (And not his work on True Blood). I'm excited.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do you think America are we ready to buy Jim from the Office as an action star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJiaYnmUw60

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

What do you think America are we ready to buy Jim from the Office as an action star

He played a member of Seal Team 6 in Zero Dark Thirty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

a woman who confuses escaping sex dolls for the Rapture
This is the only thing I remember from that show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh Lyman posted:

You mean Chris Pratt?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

You're thinking of the Benghazi movie

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Sure, but Harrison Ford is Jack Ryan and I will cut anyone who says otherwise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

You mean Chris Pratt?
drat

zoux posted:

You're thinking of the Benghazi movie
double drat

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

Sure, but Harrison Ford is Jack Ryan and I will cut anyone who says otherwise.

Alec Baldwin is better. The Ford movies are so boring except for that ambush scene.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Alan Ball's got a new HBO show next year, which is meant to be similar to his work on Six Feet Under. (And not his work on True Blood). I'm excited.

That's good to hear. After True Blood and Banshee it is good to see him go back to a show that is a little bit deeper.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hunt for Red October is the only good Jack Ryan movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Josh Lyman posted:

Hunt for Red October is the only good Jack Ryan movie.

Hmmm...I would say the only great movie, because the one with Ned Stark was good (which haven't seen since it was in the theaters, so I could be wrong).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Given that he wrote Grace Under Fire, Cybill and American Beauty as well as True Blood, Six Feet Under may be the exception rather than the rule for Alan Ball.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

Hmmm...I would say the only great movie, because the one with Ned Stark was good (which haven't seen since it was in the theaters, so I could be wrong).

Patriot Games was great yeah.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the only thing I remember from that show.

Snopes.com could have gotten a writing credit with how many of those opening deaths were based on urban legends. It even did the myth about airplanes emptying their toilets mid flight and creating lethal meteors of poo ice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anyone else watch the Family Guy season premiere? It sure was... something.'

All three of Fox's animated shows had gimmicks, Simpsons' was that they were in the GoT universe (I guess? I turned it off after a couple minutes), Bob's Burgers had the characters switching to different fanart-based character designs every scene (which was really distracting), and Family Guy did a broad scale Peak TV parody with maybe one or two good points/gags.

I was disappointed about all of them.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 4, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stop having expectations of them being good and occasionally you'll be pleasantly surprised.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think it's unreasonable to have high expectations of Bob's Burgers.

Family Guy and The Simpsons I simply don't want to completely suck and both failed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I watched Family Guy and Simpsons and they seemed pretty much the same as always.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
WRT Simpsons of Thrones, Bob's Burgers did it better a season or two ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why would anyone waste their time in 2017 watching Family Guy or The Simpsons :confused:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

We sure are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, I thought it was odd he was married to Emily Blunt

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Ah, I thought it was odd he was married to Emily Blunt
To be fair, I don't think he looked like that when they got married.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Again, the Chris Pratt effect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Horror Story season 6 (My Roanoake Nightmare) is actually really loving good for the first six episodes. The last 3 are weirdly rushed and they made a super weird choice to waste the potential of what happens in them, but the first half is just super fun, especially episode 6.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
code:
DETECTIVE CREED (Over walkie-talkie)
JACK THE TERRORISTS HAVE A BOMB IN THE MAYOR'S OFFICE!

JACK turns and smirks at the camera.

INT - MAYOR'S OFFICE - NEXT

JACK reaches under the desk, pulling out a bomb. It's counting down and blinking. 
JACK places the bomb in a tupperware container, adds water...
and pours in a small unlabled packet. 

The water hardens, and the bomb's blinking slows, then stops. 
Pleased, JACK leaves. 
Immediately after, the TERRORIST enters the room.

TERRORIST
NOT AGAIN! drat YOU, JACK RYAN! THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU PUT MY BOMB IN JELLO!

CUT TO:

EXT - HIGHWAY - NIGHT
JACK is driving a SUV super fast down the road. He turns to the camera and smirks.

END

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 4, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lelandjs posted:

code:
DETECTIVE CREED (Over walkie-talkie)
JACK THE TERRORISTS HAVE A BOMB IN THE MAYOR'S OFFICE!

JACK turns and smirks at the camera.

INT - MAYOR'S OFFICE - NEXT

JACK reaches under the desk, pulling out a bomb. It's counting down and blinking. 
JACK places the bomb in a tupperware container, adds water...
and pours in a small unlabled packet. 

The water hardens, and the bomb's blinking slows, then stops. 
Pleased, JACK leaves. 
Immediately after, the TERRORIST enters the room.

TERRORIST
NOT AGAIN! drat YOU, JACK RYAN! THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU PUT MY BOMB IN JELLO!

CUT TO:

EXT - HIGHWAY - NIGHT
JACK is driving a SUV super fast down the road. He turns to the camera and smirks.

END

The Agency UK was way better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
List of functions female characters in Tin Star serve:

- to get shot and/or injured
- to have tragic things happen to them
- to get hosed
- to serve drinks
- to be Christina Hendricks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Family Guy premiere was beyond absolute garbage. My wife doesn't watch any of the shows while I knew most of them, and we both hated it about the same.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Like, to do anything as Christina Hendricks...?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

- to get hosed
- to serve drinks

Yeah, I'm only five episodes in, but I'm at a loss as to why Genevieve O'Reilly left Glitch to do this. I guess the money was just that good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Escobarbarian posted:

List of functions female characters in True Detective serve:

- to get hosed
- to serve drinks
- to be Christina Hendricks in a future role hopefully.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

- to get hosed
- to serve drinks

*ears perk up*

Is someone talking about Strike Back.... oh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

- to get hosed
- to serve drinks

I feel like this is incredibly reductive? All the the characters have agency and seem pretty well developed. You're describing plot point, but not characterization. You could say literally the same thing about every other character except Tim Roth's character.

Especially "to have terrible things happen to them" is an especially bullshitty point, because terrible things happen to basically every character in the show.

I don't know how you can look at the things Angela does and say she's only there to serve drinks and get hosed.

Edit: I would also say that the show is arguably about toxic masculinity and why it's an attractive behavior. I don't think it's a coincidence that it's mostly about Men trying to kill each other and women trying to put their lives back together. like, look at the difference between how Denise reacts to being shot and how her boyfriend does. Denise is upset, but she's also moving forward, focusing on what's next. Her partner is obsessed with blame and payback. She's the only character who is both a good person and behaves like an adult.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

Again, the Chris Pratt effect.

Steroids and CGI?

• Locked thread