Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Most of the time you can just ignore them. Failing that just have an army stationed at a place where you can respond reasonably quickly to anything along your coastline and shut them down as soon as they land.

If you're set on doing the rituals the best strategy isn't to expand it's to have the smallest possible amount of land to defend and focus on having one or two really strong armies. Let the AI do all the rituals it wants and just take your time. There's actually no rush to complete them.

What I did with Teclis for example was only take those initial two provinces and made most of my money from trading with the other high elves. I made war on the skaven that took the mountains just on my borders and each turn I'd attack them and make bunch of extra money from battle loot/sacking. Any time I did a ritual the stacks of chaos and skaven would spawn somewhere they'd have to come through a bottleneck to get at my cities so I'd park an army there and pick them off one by one as they came through.

This is pretty sensible, I've definitely been expanding too much.

Away all Goats posted:

Build walls in literally every settlement you own. Even if they do attack right away you should be able to fend off anything less than 2 full stacks. And if they don't attack right away it gives your army like 6+ turns to get there and reinforce.

I'm definitely not good enough at the battles to knock out two full stacks with a maxed minor settlement's garrison against mid to late game units, but I guess there's only one way to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ironically I'm having a tougher time now as Kroq-gar in the campaign since I'm struggling with public order all over the drat place. I can have either public order/anti-corruption or income, and I need the income because Queek's starting poo poo. And unlike the Skaven, I can't deliberately provoke rebellions to farm loot and experience.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mans posted:

How the hell can you get such beautiful lightning? My game is all on Ultra but still feels very jacked up.

Yea I feel like he must be using an external shader like ReShade, because mine looks like excite-o-color. I even tweaked gamma/brightness. It's a big swing from the first game where I felt many maps were too dark and the shadows cast on unit models were also too dark.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lame. Thanks.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
FINALLY got to the end of this thread, only took 3 days of time I could have spent playing more skaven :corsair:

put a basic guide to the skaven units in there too

Grumio posted:

This needs to go in the OP

way ahead of you.

even saved 1-2 of the images on hdd so they're less at risk of disappearing

mans' quote about the doomwheels got edited so it now has the doomwheel image from this album

also, I got a goblin leader that told me to

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
This game is so pretty and I can't stop taking screenshots.

Also: dinosaurs versus ghosts. Game of the year.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

toasterwarrior posted:

Ironically I'm having a tougher time now as Kroq-gar in the campaign since I'm struggling with public order all over the drat place. I can have either public order/anti-corruption or income, and I need the income because Queek's starting poo poo. And unlike the Skaven, I can't deliberately provoke rebellions to farm loot and experience.

Do the quest for your spear, it gives you +5 global public order and you basically won't have to deal with public order at all until you're ready to push up into vampire territory in the desert.

As far as dwarves being consistently behind due to the lack of good fast attack units, what if CA did a deep dive and added the Death Rollers from Blood Bowl as a dwarfy chariot? A armored rear end in a top hat riding a combat steamroller would be hilarious and it would give them a faster flanking unit to work with.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Lizardmen playas how do you use Temple Guards? Get rid of your old Saurus and use them as your new front-line, or did you find a new purpose for them?

Also wow I had forgotten about that good old late-game turn-bloat. Mortal Empires is gonna be a trip, hope they find a way to minimise it somewhat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pierson posted:

Lizardmen playas how do you use Temple Guards? Get rid of your old Saurus and use them as your new front-line, or did you find a new purpose for them?

Also wow I had forgotten about that good old late-game turn-bloat. Mortal Engines is gonna be a trip, hope they find a way to minimise it somewhat.

wasn't there some way in the last game to quick-pace enemy turns

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Do the quest for your spear, it gives you +5 global public order and you basically won't have to deal with public order at all until you're ready to push up into vampire territory in the desert.

Nah, I already have it. VH public order penalties and corruption make for a solid one-two punch. I may have to sack a developed Mors settlement for enough cash to develop more of mine in the meantime.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like more skill points
I do not like more levels

I do not like having to put points in a bunch of characters every turn

I would prefer a mod where I just get 30 levels and the same points just so I have to do this less often

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Even with army/hero speeds cranked up to max it takes a while, also it seems like turns start to chug somewhat, although that may be just my PC.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, my Teclis campaign has not been going well, I'm on turn 80 and just now getting to the point where I have the forces to start breaking out of the coast. His starting provinces are hard to navigate through, you can't really expand south due to the inhospitable desert that Skrolk squats in and commits forever war against you with. You only really have enough time to go down there and raze it before you have to run back north and deal with public order uprisings and by the time you get that sorted out, skrolk has retaken all the ruins you left in the desert. Repeat ad nauseam while everyone other territory around you gets gobbled up by the minor lizardman factions, leaving you nowhere to expand to without committing to another front in the forever war. On hard the public order building doesn't outstrip public order bleed until it's level 4, so you're either committing multiple city slots in a province to it, or you just have uprisings to deal with regularly. You don't have a quick source of gold and the nearby gems are in unpleasant climate so that adds to the public order woes. I finally had enough money to support a second army of a worthwhile size and freed up Teclis to march east sacking and occupying all of skrolk's holdings in southern Lustria and I'm now approaching the point where I can see the end of the forever war with Skrolk ending with me burning that southern desert to the ground from the other direction.

Meanwhile up north, AI Tyrion has completely united Ulthuan and is balling out of control as he burns all the dark elf holdings to the ground.

Maybe it's time for me to call this campaign done and try something else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Queek should be able to get the best mount option: Palanquin. Nothing like a megalomaniac bundle of fur and meth being carried into battle on the backs of his fellows to make sure his nose stays higher than theirs at all times.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How is Teclis finding the time to attend all these soirees at the Phoenix King's mansion? Focus on your mission, idiot.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hahaha man, I got the option of confederating Mazdamundi - who exists at the literal other end of the map from me - and it's a good job I saved before I clicked 'yes' because that guy is a garbage fire. Instant -6000g upkeep from his terrible armies and awful scattering of towns, none of which even gave relic currency.

Sorry big guy, not giving up my insanely-defensible position and great cashflow just to get another (badly-skilled, level twelve) LL. The AI is really bad at the strategy layer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

Queek should be able to get the best mount option: Palanquin. Nothing like a megalomaniac bundle of fur and meth being carried into battle on the backs of his fellows to make sure his nose stays higher than theirs at all times.

Queek would kill his own bearers for daring to think they were stronger than his own legs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Queek would kill his own bearers for daring to think they were stronger than his own legs.

Queek is the greatest rat.

E: Except Sneek. Sneek is even better. Go, nerdrat, go.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

Queek is the greatest rat.

E: Except Sneek. Sneek is even better. Go, nerdrat, go.

Eh, Thanquol still has a leg up on Queek for being one of the skaven's most uniquely powerful spellcasters while also being wildly incompetent and having his plans blow up in humours ways. Including trying to summon a verminlord daemon and summoning a bloodthirster in the middle of a dwarf/skaven battle that then proceeds to stomp up both sides of the fight.

Edit: Speaking of - I wonder how they will deal with Thanquol's misfortunes if (when) he comes to total war. Significant spell cost reduction at the cost of higher spell miscast chance that instead of it backfiring on himself, backfires on a nearby allied unit?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 4, 2017

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Man some of the dark elf names are amazing. Got one that adds +10% damage, frenzy, and "The Hunger" which is the vampire ability that regenerates health while in melee. But some of the others are pretty lackluster.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Pierson posted:

Also wow I had forgotten about that good old late-game turn-bloat. Mortal Empires is gonna be a trip, hope they find a way to minimise it somewhat.

I might be in the minority, but I'm not a huge fan of the temple guard compared to shielded saurus warriors. They don't appear to have that much better stats, and may even have worse stats if your general is specced in a certain way. They also cost way more and take longer to make. That being said, I usually keep about 3 units of temple guard with a unit of kroxigors as my anti-armor/large punch or as flankers. During sieges, I make the saurus warriors climb the walls and send the temple guard and kroxigors through the gate that is opened by carnos and stegs. I haven't had a battle where I needed them, but I am glad to have the option at least. Besides, I fight more unarmored infantry than I do armored or large units, and the saurus warriors are more suited to that. In a straight unit-versus-unit fight, I am pretty sure the saurus warriors would beat the temple guard, but I haven't tried that yet so I could be wrong.

Edit: I basically just replaced all of my saurus spears with the temple guard and used them in about the same way.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 4, 2017

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Temple Guard would be the Halberdiers in other armies. They're your kick rear end monster killer unit.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hmmm alright I guess I'll give them a shot. T-rexes have been doing good duty as my monster-slayers for a while though.

It's going to be so hard not playing Lizardmen. I will miss this screen:

That's only after annihilating a Skaven intervention army as well. Rite of Primeval Glory fuckin' rules and I'm gonna miss it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Bogarts posted:

Man some of the dark elf names are amazing. Got one that adds +10% damage, frenzy, and "The Hunger" which is the vampire ability that regenerates health while in melee. But some of the others are pretty lackluster.

I wish there was a list somewhere. I know I can look it up in the files or whatever but I don't want to do that. Someone show me the list!

From what I can tell it seems like the names that buff your army are the best. I haven't really gotten anything good from the names that buff your lords individual combat skills. Faction bonuses have been hit or miss.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the thing is that unlike other races' halberdier equivalents, Temple Guard are way too expensive and specialized to use as line infantry. Compounding the problem is that Saurus Warriors have a ridiculously high weapon strength for their class, and in most cases plain Saurus Warriors are just the better option for general work. Temple Guard (and Saurus Spears) are better off mixed into the line rather than composing most of it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Javelin Skinks: If you're using them at a range is it more effective to cycle targets to spread the poison around, or just focus on a single high-value target?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
starting as a skaven with the default hero should I ally with my fellow skaven or eat them? I tried allying with them and it seemed like maybe a bad idea. I got steam rolled by two stacks of evil chaos troops when I started the ritual

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
You don't upgrade Saurus warriors to Temple Guard, you upgrade them to Kroxigors or Stegadons :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I wish there was a list somewhere. I know I can look it up in the files or whatever but I don't want to do that. Someone show me the list!

From what I can tell it seems like the names that buff your army are the best. I haven't really gotten anything good from the names that buff your lords individual combat skills. Faction bonuses have been hit or miss.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what kind of friend wars another friend..

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

is anyone else bothered that the new app store icon is just the skaven logo upside down?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

thank you

Barbstorm and Shadowdart are nuts

I've gotten Khainemarked before and that was one I liked a lot for holding down the north against chaos, but thats the only one that jumps out at me that I remember.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Dark Marshall helped a lot early game too. The aristocratic ones seem just a little better overall, but I also tend to build my lords red/blue anyway. On the other hand, a single good martial name might make up for a lot of missing out on yellow buffs.

e: I'm an idiot, I misread that and thought Dark Marshall was aristocratic. Huh. They actually all seem to have a range of good to great.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 4, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jamwad Hilder posted:

thank you

Barbstorm and Shadowdart are nuts

I've gotten Khainemarked before and that was one I liked a lot for holding down the north against chaos, but thats the only one that jumps out at me that I remember.

Yeah, shame you can't get both on the same general.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ravenfood posted:

The Dark Marshall helped a lot early game too. The aristocratic ones seem just a little better overall, but I also tend to build my lords red/blue anyway. On the other hand, a single good martial name might make up for a lot of missing out on yellow buffs.

Black Conqueror sounds familiar to me too actually. That one was actually really great for early game.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just about finished my first full campaign as Edgelord McFuckshismom, it's been a little weird.

-Momrai went loving crazy, confederated all the minor Delf factions bar one then ran off to ravage the far side of Ulthuan while holding off the equally as expansionist Mazdamundi in a brutal back and forth over the Mirror Pool region.

-Southlands got decimated by the Strigos Empire of all people, wiping out Kroq, Queek and all but one Lizardman faction in the region. When I finally encountered them they were spamming stacks full of Zombies/Skeletons/Dire Wolves and were somehow taking out doomstacks that by all rights should have smashed them.

-Malakith with all his gear+Seraphon is a scary contender. 4th ritual he rampaged through all the Chaos/Skaven stacks that spawned on my capital and didn't dip below 350~ kills each battle.

-Corsairs disappoint me. Delf Swords/Spears outperform them every fight and are just more reliable with their shields. Once you unlock Witch Elves there's no reason to ever use them. Even the auto-resolve seems to prefer to decimate Corsair units than Witch Elf units, surprising due to it's hate on for low armoured units.

-Skaven are so bad at sieges on both sides of the wall.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
why would you ever use regular corsairs when you can use corsairs with handbows

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SteelMentor posted:

-Skaven are so bad at sieges on both sides of the wall.

Makes sense. Skaven excel at throwing bodies at you so that they can split up your army and get flank bonuses. Fighting on walls doesn't give them enough space to do this, so it's easy to take the wall and get archers set up to rain death down on the courtyard.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PantsBandit posted:

Makes sense. Skaven excel at throwing bodies at you so that they can split up your army and get flank bonuses. Fighting on walls doesn't give them enough space to do this, so it's easy to take the wall and get archers set up to rain death down on the courtyard.

What I've been doing on offensive sieges as skaven is to just spread everything out as much as possible, ladder up the wall at all points, surround and flank where I can, everything left over (and there's always units left over, because i'm outnumbering the enemy significantly) charges for the central point and caps the siege. Meanwhile whatever artillery I have sits back and pounds away. Works fine on hard / ultra (or whatever the "max unit size" setting is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Knobb Manwich posted:

The whole models having HP continues to gently caress with me, even after playing a fair bit of WH1. I'm still way too used to pre Rome 2 where you smash a guy with a big gently caress off horse and they go down straight away.

Technically R2 was when they first introduced HP, but R2 and Attila tended to have lower HP per unit