Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Steam let me know that Battle Chasers: Nightwar is out today. Anybody pick it up? It has piqued my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taear posted:

To do that though is a LOT of faffing about.

It honestly took me less time to make my on-foot damage absurd than it did to grind up for high-end skells.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only bad part for me is the Ma-Non ship kinda becomes The Alien Ghetto rather than having the new races all fully move into the city proper. There's no story reason for them not being welcome into the city as residents, they all just go live in the alien ship when they're not wandering the shopping district or visiting friends in the suburbs. I think it would've been nice to see the city actually expand with a mix of human houses and alien dwellings side-by-side down the streets over time.

Fwiw the Ma-non do spread out across the administrative and military districts, on top of the other sidequests that have the manon integrated in (the one where you get the human woman to befriend the female Ma-non was really cute :3: ). But yeah I do kinda wish there was more crossover, with more Ma-non in the residential district and more humans to get into the Ma-non ship.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hackan Slash posted:

Steam let me know that Battle Chasers: Nightwar is out today. Anybody pick it up? It has piqued my interest.

Yeah me too. It's not every day you get a sequel game to a comic book that ran for like twelve issues nearly twenty years ago.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
I played nightwar's beta and enjoyed it a lot. Combat is turn based and a bit slow but there are different ways to customize the characters and I felt the game was well made and polished. I believe it is made by the former creators of the darksiders franchise. The story so far is very early but seems interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/allisonzephyr/status/915036795934531584

lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's still pretty bad in the GBA remake but if you put in the effort to do insane grinding it eventually outpaces your other spells

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's amazing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol that owns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This owns

Also the wroth leader who turns his lightsaber off like he is sheathing a katana would have been a great party member in XCX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ventana posted:

Fwiw the Ma-non do spread out across the administrative and military districts, on top of the other sidequests that have the manon integrated in (the one where you get the human woman to befriend the female Ma-non was really cute :3: ). But yeah I do kinda wish there was more crossover, with more Ma-non in the residential district and more humans to get into the Ma-non ship.

It's not the Ma-Non that's the issue though. For every new race it's "Hi, welcome to New LA, have fun living in the alien's ship! :wave:"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
XCX was extremely bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

XCX was extremely bad.

I don't think this checks out.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

XCX is cool and good and I unironically enjoy the town theme

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

this is awesome

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That's somehow even better than being able to Toad the final boss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

XCX is cool and good and I unironically enjoy the town theme

....1.2.3.4!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

....1.2.3.4!

:yeah:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A couple hours into battle chaser. If you just want a chill, easy going turn-based rpg with western comic edge art, it's pretty decent.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

XC was extremely bad.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ImpAtom posted:

It honestly took me less time to make my on-foot damage absurd than it did to grind up for high-end skells.

Alexa gave you a Skell recipe when you finished her personal quest. You can build it really easily and it's worth bucketloads to sell. I just did that.

XCX was rubbish compared to XC though. Just think of that stupid cast of characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the XC characters were pretty bad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

he's right

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
final fantasy 2 is the secret best old-school final fantasy game if only because it the birth for an entire ip of insanity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears: guns don't kill people billy, people kill people *smokes cigar and gets in the bullet chamber of the gun that fires human bullets*
xenoblade: NOW IT'S REYN TIME (i've only played three hours of xenoblade)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

This is wrong.

It was especially nice to hear people who weren't American in a game for once.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'm British and I'm usually turned off by British accents in games (looks side-long at Tracer), but the whole cast grew on me and the VAs did a really great job.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Taear posted:

Alexa gave you a Skell recipe when you finished her personal quest. You can build it really easily and it's worth bucketloads to sell. I just did that.

XCX was rubbish compared to XC though. Just think of that stupid cast of characters.

You can't BUY the top tier skells so this advice is pretty irrelevant.

Like most things relating to XCX, the side-content is better than the main content. In this case meaning that the main cast was pretty bland and lame with a few exceptions (HB was the best, goddammit.), but the side characters tended to be pure gold. And like, I cannot remember a single goddamn person from XC that wasn't directly related to the main plot, but there are SO GODDAMN MANY memorable NPCs in XCX it's hard to pick out one to suggest as my favorite.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'm British and I'm usually turned off by British accents in games (looks side-long at Tracer), but the whole cast grew on me and the VAs did a really great job.

The acting in XBC2 sounds really bad sadly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kokoro Wish posted:

XC's VA's are all fairly well-known British TV and stage actors, they didn't just grab some random british people off the streets of London.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Weirdly, right after I replayed XBC it felt like there was a sudden swell in that group of actors being used in other stuff, especially Blake Ritson (Alvis). Ser Aymeric in Heavensward, Magusar in Soul Sacrifice, the guy in Firelink in Dark Souls 3 and apparently Angelo in DQ8.

It's great, because they're all really good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can't BUY the top tier skells so this advice is pretty irrelevant.

Like most things relating to XCX, the side-content is better than the main content. In this case meaning that the main cast was pretty bland and lame with a few exceptions (HB was the best, goddammit.), but the side characters tended to be pure gold. And like, I cannot remember a single goddamn person from XC that wasn't directly related to the main plot, but there are SO GODDAMN MANY memorable NPCs in XCX it's hard to pick out one to suggest as my favorite.

You can buy the best one you'll need to actually finish the game. I don't remember there being a level above the highest level one I could buy and if there was it must be for the end game grind stuff. It was definitely preferable to constantly watching my money because the top level ones cost so loving much.

And all I remember beyond the main cast (the VERY main cast, none of the recruitable people) are the archetypes of each alien race and the Back to the Future joke. I remember loads of XC though.

The voice acting sounded actually British instead of "What Americans Want British People To Sound Like" which is nice.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I decided to give Dark Souls 2 another try and now I’m loving it. My first try was as a Swordsman which sucked because I died if anything looked at me funny and dual swords was not as cool as I thought.

Now I’m a knight building towards using the Old Whip I got from my starter Petrified Something. It feels like after you beat the first boss things become more stable. It’s just the first hour or two that are really harsh on newbies. It was hard getting used to being more aggressive because enemies chain attacks constantly, but now I’m having a great time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I decided to give Dark Souls 2 another try and now I’m loving it. My first try was as a Swordsman which sucked because I died if anything looked at me funny and dual swords was not as cool as I thought.

Now I’m a knight building towards using the Old Whip I got from my starter Petrified Something. It feels like after you beat the first boss things become more stable. It’s just the first hour or two that are really harsh on newbies. It was hard getting used to being more aggressive because enemies chain attacks constantly, but now I’m having a great time.

Blunt, mace-like damage is king in that game, if you're looking to make things easier on yourself later.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

XCX's "you can use battle points you get for completing certain objectives to purchase monster drops, which you can use to craft stuff" was a cool idea, it's just unfortunate that it devolved into "go fight one of two global tyrants, tear off it's appendages, then cancel the fight" over and over and over and over.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish the combat in those games made any sense to me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish the combat in those games made any sense to me.

XCX is a rhythm game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Colonel posted:

xenogears: guns don't kill people billy, people kill people *smokes cigar and gets in the bullet chamber of the gun that fires human bullets*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Getting further into Chapter 3 of Wild Arms 3 and "Why do you reject me", Malik asks, as his cloned mother runs the gently caress away from the weird demon bird person claiming to be her son. :munch: