Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wasn't their a bit in the TNG finale where futureprise Riker was all "Let's go to Warp 13, cunts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Mister Facetious posted:

It's supposed to be 0.25c. Dunno if it was different in Kirk's day. :corsair:
TOS didn't operate on scientific concepts anyways, it used pure futurism.

Yeah, considering how Kirk & Co. managed to travel out of the galaxy in hardly any time at all I wouldn't try to extrapolate any consistent scale for warp speed.

Basically the writer of the episode used whatever number sounded cool.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yes and no. Okuda said the old scale was supposed to be a straight doubling at every warp number, but this was also in the days before TI created scientific calculators, so the concepts of distance, travel time, and controlled areas of space on galactic scales were left to the writers, because the paperwork required to figure this poo poo out scientifically would've taken too long.

And during TNG, they got consulting from actual scientists, to help ground the show, so that's when you see the dimensions of Federation et al.'s space finally get quantified.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Old warp was the speed of light multipled by the cube of the warp factor.

So warp 2 was 8 times the speed of light, warp 3 was 27 times the speed of light, warp 4 was 64 times the speed of light, and so on.

EDIT: also important to mention that this is never mentioned during the actual show, so there's not really a consistent speed laid down by the show. But warp speed is always the speed of plot anyway, where warp 1-5 is just cruising along, 6-7 is a hurry, and 8-9 is OH poo poo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, I knew it was exponential, I just forgot how.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Old warp was the speed of light multipled by the cube of the warp factor.

So warp 2 was 8 times the speed of light, warp 3 was 27 times the speed of light, warp 4 was 64 times the speed of light, and so on.

EDIT: also important to mention that this is never mentioned during the actual show, so there's not really a consistent speed laid down by the show. But warp speed is always the speed of plot anyway, where warp 1-5 is just cruising along, 6-7 is a hurry, and 8-9 is OH poo poo

Are you sure it was really that slow? I remember there being an exponential component, but you've gotta be going warp 8 or 9 to get anywhere at all.

To get to Proxima Centauri:
warp 2: 7 months
warp 4: 24 days
warp 6: 1 week
warp 8: 3 days

That's not very far, most star systems are gonna be a few dozen light years away, even at warp 8 you'd be looking at weeks or months. I know there's time between episodes and all, but it felt like Kirk was loving green ladies having adventures more frequently than that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You have to remember that TOS predates the internet, and even the most simple of consumer computing. Travel times for anything are basically up to the writers, and they're not going to do that kind of math for a one hour show.

Handheld calculators weren't even invented until 1972, and they sold for $100+.

quote:

1968 -- Hewlett-Packard releases the fully-electronic model 9100 desk-top calculator, priced at $4,900. The 9100 used a CRT (cathode ray tube) display and was about the size of a large typewriter. Bill Hewlett congratulates the development team but allegedly commented that the world needs a similar machine that would fit in a shirt pocket. Amazingly, the HP engineers would accomplish this new challenge within four years (the HP-35 in 1972)!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 3, 2017

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
im sure there were nerds with sliderulers figuring it out. no internet, what else ya gonna do?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

im sure there were nerds with sliderulers figuring it out. no internet, what else ya gonna do?

CBS exec: "Sounds like an unnecessary expense to me. Also, we're halving the budget for Season 3. Have fun Gene."

Honestly, the best part of TOS was just how well they avoided committing to actual science or technobabble, and just made a fun show that explored concepts both social and theoretical.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 3, 2017

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
hey if it wasnt for meddling cbs execs Lost in Space wouldn't have dr smith or the robot so i cant hate on em too much

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

hey if it wasnt for meddling cbs execs Lost in Space wouldn't have dr smith or the robot so i cant hate on em too much

Without Lost in Space, we wouldn't have Lennier in B5, or the show 'Space Cases', either (thanks, Bill Mumy).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

CBS exec: "Sounds like an unnecessary expense to me. Also, we're halving the budget for Season 3. Have fun Gene."

Honestly, the best part of TOS was just how well they avoided committing to actual science or technobabble, and just made a fun show that explored concepts both social and theoretical.

Wasn't it NBC execs back then?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Wasn't it NBC execs back then?

Wikipedia says

Production:
Desilu, then Paramount

Distributor:
CBS

Original Network:
NBC

So, NBC aired it, but didn't own it. Some kind of partnership to fill a time slot, maybe?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
maybe nbc did the pilot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly I think The Expanse has kind of ruined modern sci-fi that tries to be more realistic. Thrust and cetrifuge based gravity, travel based on acceleration rather than arbitrary top speeds, and really well thought out set design and world idiosyncrasies make it feel way more cohesive and engaging than anything Discovery has tried so far.

I'm enjoying Discovery, but it has a ways to go before it can measure up to The expanse.
I'm also glad that the cameraman was more or less sober this week.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 4, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm starting to think all the slanty angles in the first couple episodes were a style choice to help sell that part of the story as a wonky, messed-up memory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The fungus actually just gets everyone super high

And Khajit style, they get so smashed they transport themselves to the places they think they are

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like STD so far but mostly because it's Star Trek

Not a fan of Chief Engineer Sassypants though, that's gonna get old quick

Saru still owns. Click click.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

angerbeet posted:

Not a fan of Chief Engineer Sassypants though, that's gonna get old quick

Yeah, he was a little odd. When you see a guy at work and within a minute think, "oh, right, they said this show would have a gay character. This must be the gay character." it's not a great sign.

The first few episodes of a new star trek are always a bit wooden and dumb until the cast gels. The first season of TNG had some real stinkers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Facetious posted:

Mister Facetious posted:

Wikipedia says

Production:
Desilu, then Paramount

Distributor:
CBS

Original Network:
NBC

So, NBC aired it, but didn't own it. Some kind of partnership to fill a time slot, maybe?

Distributor in this case refers to the present-day. CBS didn't have anything to do with Star Trek until the various corporate mergers and spinoffs in the last ~10 years.

NBC never owned Star Trek outright. Back then I don't think networks were even legally permitted to make their own entertainment content. Studios produced shows and sold the first-run rights to networks... and by the time Star Trek came along it was often at break-even only, or even a deficit (especially for expensive series like Trek or Mission Impossible) because the real profit was in selling series after they finished into syndication for reruns.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 4, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm not saying this to bag on you at all, but you really need to pick up a copy of Inside Star Trek: The Real Story as soon as possible. It's a great read overall, gives you a sense of how Star Trek fit into the world of television as it existed in the late '60s, and also debunks some of the bullshit myths that grew around Gene Roddenberry. It should be mandatory reading for anyone who likes Star Trek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also if I remember right NBC actually upped the amount of money they paid for the show in each season. The cuts came from both increasing salary demands from actors (especially surprise breakout star Leonard Nimoy), and from the studio - Desilu at first in order to try and hold down the deficit they were incurring with each episode of Star Trek and Mission: Impossible, and then Paramount as they sought to cut their losses on what was then perceived to be a failed series.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm not saying this to bag on you at all, but you really need to pick up a copy of Inside Star Trek: The Real Story as soon as possible. It's a great read overall, gives you a sense of how Star Trek fit into the world of television as it existed in the late '60s, and also debunks some of the bullshit myths that grew around Gene Roddenberry. It should be mandatory reading for anyone who likes Star Trek.

And how much of a goddamn freak Gene was.

"You can go front to back, but not back to front. Majel has got one helluva infection."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
As for 'nerds with sliderules', TOS contracted with Kellam Deforest (no relation to Deforest Kelley) for research and fact-checking. He probably did give advice on space being really loving big, and - like every other Trek series - was ignored in favor of servicing the writer's laziness dramatic need of any given episode.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Are you sure it was really that slow? I remember there being an exponential component, but you've gotta be going warp 8 or 9 to get anywhere at all.

To get to Proxima Centauri:
warp 2: 7 months
warp 4: 24 days
warp 6: 1 week
warp 8: 3 days

That's not very far, most star systems are gonna be a few dozen light years away, even at warp 8 you'd be looking at weeks or months. I know there's time between episodes and all, but it felt like Kirk was loving green ladies having adventures more frequently than that.

I mean again they never explicitly mention any multiples of c during the show and the warp factors were never consistent. I remember reading old fanzine articles from back in the 70s where they talk about a common fan theory of the time being that there's something like a jet stream in space where if you travel in certain paths you get a multiplier effect on your warp speed and the cW-cubed is the "baseline" unmultiplied speed or whatever - that was their way of trying to reconcile "someone who worked on the show said this but the show itself seems to depict that" as well as the inconsistency of travel time in general.

There's definitely friction between the setting as ideally envisioned by (some of) the producers, where they want space to be big and vast and the ship to be out on its own a long way from anyone else, but then the stories that get developed really want immediate action and tension and hopping between star systems.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MA-Horus posted:

And how much of a goddamn freak Gene was.

"You can go front to back, but not back to front. Majel has got one helluva infection."

It does go into that, although the quote from Ande Richardson you posted was from The Fifty-Year Mission (which is also a decent read, although I'm disappointed that it did not dispute the myth that NBC rejected a woman as second-in-command).

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 4, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
OK, so magic space fungus is loving stupid as poo poo.

When you saw all the armed guards and poo poo I was actually expecting them to say Discovery was a Section 31 ship, and that would have been bad rear end as gently caress, but instead it's magic space fungus ship.

Honestly, I think so much of the problems with discovery could have been easily avoided by saying "it's set after voyager".

New uniforms? Future uniforms

Different weapons? Future weapons

Klingons look different? Future evolution

Hologaphic communications? Future comms system

Holographic screens? Future screens

Ships don't always have to face the right way up? Future engines and thrusters

Magic space fungus? New never before found breakthrough that may render warp travel obsolete, IN THE FUTURE

I get that it's scary to have to be original and build upon something rather than copying stuff that already exists, but come on.

naem
May 29, 2011

Space is also huge they could set a show in the same time as another show and never run into anyone we know

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

OK, so magic space fungus is loving stupid as poo poo.

When you saw all the armed guards and poo poo I was actually expecting them to say Discovery was a Section 31 ship, and that would have been bad rear end as gently caress, but instead it's magic space fungus ship.

Honestly, I think so much of the problems with discovery could have been easily avoided by saying "it's set after voyager".

New uniforms? Future uniforms

Different weapons? Future weapons

Klingons look different? Future evolution

Hologaphic communications? Future comms system

Holographic screens? Future screens

Ships don't always have to face the right way up? Future engines and thrusters

Magic space fungus? New never before found breakthrough that may render warp travel obsolete, IN THE FUTURE

I get that it's scary to have to be original and build upon something rather than copying stuff that already exists, but come on.

Agreed on all counts except the bad guys should be a brand new species.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

counterfeitsaint posted:

Agreed on all counts except the bad guys should be a brand new species.

Yeah, they're trying all this new stuff, but they still feel like they have to lean on the same old bad guys. Fans accepted the Borg/Cardassians/Dominion with open arms, why not someone new?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I mean again they never explicitly mention any multiples of c during the show

The only one I can think of is from the Enterprise pilot, where they're all oohing and aahing over warp 4.5 taking them to Neptune and back in six minutes, which works out pretty drat close to the warp-factor-cubed fan theory.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I thought it was considered dangerous to warp while inside a star system.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Blistex posted:

Yeah, they're trying all this new stuff, but they still feel like they have to lean on the same old bad guys. Fans accepted the Borg/Cardassians/Dominion with open arms, why not someone new?

lol like anyone involved with this gives a single gently caress about what fans think

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mondian posted:

lol like anyone involved with this gives a single gently caress about what fans think

And as well they shouldn't; (Hardcore) Star Trek fans are loving scum. The worst of the worst of :spergin:- afraid of change.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

And as well they shouldn't; (Hardcore) Star Trek fans are loving scum. The worst of the worst of :pedo:

I have moderate hopes Discovery will turn out ok in the end though, even if it's not really star trek

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

And as well they shouldn't; (Hardcore) Star Trek fans are loving scum. The worst of the worst of :spergin:- afraid of change.

I dunno Disney indulges star wars fanwank and cashes in on that sweet sweet merch. At least somebody's making money unlike this impending embarrassing failure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mondian posted:

I dunno Disney indulges star wars fanwank and cashes in on that sweet sweet merch. At least somebody's making money unlike this impending embarrassing failure.

Star Wars fans are inherently more open to A New Hope ( :rimshot: ) and belief in better movies, given the source material. It's magic and religion; you can imprint whatever you imagine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought it was considered dangerous to warp while inside a star system.

The defiant did a micro warp jump in the Bajoran system to stop changeling Bashir from nuking the sun. Everyone involved thought it was suicidal.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So I watched STD without informing myself prior at all. I thought Michelle Yeoh would give the show the rational,older captain like Picard. Man was I fuming when I saw her as a special guest star credit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Christina Applegate should've been the Captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

In my life I've described a lot of things as "a love note" to something, but jesus gently caress watching the Orville is like watching Seth MacFarlane take Star Trek out to a mountain resort, lay it down by the fire and gently gently caress it for hours before making it breakfast in the morning.