Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is like arguing with that stupid White House talking points memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Hey Dead Reckoning, what do you think about former felons having their right to own firearms restored?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/PeterHamby/status/915390502337482753

kind of weird the virginia race isnt getting more support from the national democratic party unless they've got some internal numbers that tell them that the race isn't actually close

Skyweir
Apr 29, 2013
Yes, it is sad. There really is no way to prevent people from gathering large amount of firearms explicitly made for the destruction of human life.
No other nation on Earth has ever done it, in fact in all other places regardless of laws, there are also mass shootings every day.
It might be an immutable law of nature. Nothing we can do about it though.

Thousands of dead from such violence every day is just the price everyone in the world pays for "FREEDOM", just like in all other democratic nations were the same thing happens all the time....

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-prevent-says-only-nation-where-regularly-ha-51444

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

"Hey I didn't come here to argue about how to best control gun violence. I'm just here to tell you that guns aren't the problem and you should not do anything to prevent people from getting any kind of weapon"

Boy these arguments are sure useful, DR, Jackal, et. al.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BrandorKP posted:

Cross posting from the Trump thread in case anybody missed this one:

Holy poo poo, I can't even imagine the frame of mind you'd need to feel compelled to try and have your own stepson deported. :(

Just disgusting. It's like an American Stasi.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 4, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mulva posted:

I don't own firearms, for a myriad of reasons. I do like blowing poo poo up, but guns aren't actually the best way to do that. And explosives are a sometimes treat.

I just question why you continue to compare the US to Europe and Australia when we've never really had all that much in common with them. "Well it works there", you say as if we've ever had a system that values the same things they do or operates the same way. "The West" actually isn't a real thing, and we've always had more in common with our enemies than our friends.

Wait, you think the US has more in common with Mexico than with Australia? Historically, the Aussies have had a lot of close similarities to US culture, such as a history of deep government-enforced racism which a substantial minority openly pines for.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dead Reckoning posted:

I just don't worry about mass shootings or terrorist attacks. I really don't. I will continue to go to street fairs and outdoor concerts. I know that I am orders of magnitude more likely to die from being hit by some rear end in a top hat texting on their phone or driving six martinis deep, especially given the number of high risk miles I drive per year. This does not stop me from owning a cell phone or consuming alcohol.

These are shocking and terrible events, but the odds of it affecting any one person are so infinitesimally small that I don't think it is worth re-ordering our lives, laws, or societies in order to avoid them. I don't believe that there is any correlation between legal access to guns and homicide rates, nothing bears this out, so I see no benefit to surrendering my rights from a crime reduction point of view.

Suicide is a more complex problem, with method selection strongly tied to cultural norms, but I don't think paying whack-a-mole with methods is a worthwhile strategy compared to addressing the underlying issues that drive people to suicide in the first place, especially since the latter can be accomplished without infringing on anyone's rights.

At the end of the day, I accept that my freedom means that someone may exercise their freedom in a way that harms me. I'm content with a system of laws that punishes those who do wrong, rather than grinding all the sharp edges and abusable liberties off of life in order to prevent the possibility of bad things happening.

eat poo poo

im glad that the fact that their deaths were unlikely is comfort for the dead and their families

eat poo poo endlessly

my deepest regret right now is that you aren't suffering for this post

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

at the end of the day, i accept that my freedom means that other people may suffer, and i am noble enough to accept their suffering to preserve my right to play dress-up hero

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

What an rear end in a top hat

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Someone buy these fuckers accounts!

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

kind of weird the virginia race isnt getting more support from the national democratic party unless they've got some internal numbers that tell them that the race isn't actually close

Northam hasn't trailed in any poll yet conducted and is up by an average of 5.5 points even when you include the lovely pollsters.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2017/governor/va/virginia_governor_gillespie_vs_northam-6197.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2017

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

I tried working with local dems in Richmond and let me just say the party here is dumb as gently caress. A county chair in the western part of the state just resigned because of lack of support or interest from the party. They're banking on NOVA, Richmond, and Norfolk to carry the state and anything outside of that doesn't matter to them.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

at the end of the day, i accept that my freedom means that other people may suffer, and i am noble enough to accept their suffering to preserve my right to play dress-up hero

This is the real root of all of Dead Reckoning's arguments - he correctly recognizes his privilege as a straight white man in the US, and he doesn't want anything to change because he (incorrectly) thinks that that means he loses something. All of the 'deontologist!' bullshit is just trying to rationalize it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

captainblastum posted:

This is the real root of all of Dead Reckoning's arguments - he correctly recognizes his privilege as a straight white man in the US, and he doesn't want anything to change because he (incorrectly) thinks that that means he loses something. All of the 'deontologist!' bullshit is just trying to rationalize it.

He argued in GiP that it was a matter of his ethical position

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

I tried working with local dems in Richmond and let me just say the party here is dumb as gently caress. A county chair in the western part of the state just resigned because of lack of support or interest from the party. They're banking on NOVA, Richmond, and Norfolk to carry the state and anything outside of that doesn't matter to them.

Goddamnit I thought they were supposed to be trying to get all the elections full of candidates instead of just letting Republicans run unopposed in districts that went Clinton...

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm pretty sure Charlottesville is a decent blue bet.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

QuoProQuid posted:

No you see, it's better if they don't get involved in this one, because they're toxic in Virginia.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

axeil posted:

Northam hasn't trailed in any poll yet conducted and is up by an average of 5.5 points even when you include the lovely pollsters.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2017/governor/va/virginia_governor_gillespie_vs_northam-6197.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2017

I've seen this before recently... :thunk:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Radish posted:

Goddamnit I thought they were supposed to be trying to get all the elections full of candidates instead of just letting Republicans run unopposed in districts that went Clinton...
Well you see you have your real, private views on things, and then you have your public views. What you're referring to is just some bullshit the party chair said to quiet down the extremists in his party who want to win elections and help people. Anyway he's got a real job now, so not so much time for a 50-state whatever.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

They are.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/31/546191644/shut-out-of-power-in-d-c-democrats-try-to-make-inroads-in-virginia-this-fall

http://www.vahousedems.org/our-candidates

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/02/2017-virginia-democratic-house-candidates-district

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_elections,_2017

Dems have no candidate 12 districts. GOP has no candidate in 28 districts. (There are 100 total districts)

Last election (2015) the Dems had no candidates in 44 Districts :gonk: so they're doing much better this go around.

The current balance of power is 66 GOP Delegates to 34 Dem Delegates. There are 7 seats with incumbents retiring, 6 GOP (Districts 2, 28, 42, 56, 64, and 72) and 1 Dem (District 89). All of those 6 districts has a Dem challenger and the single Dem retirement district has the new Democrat running unopposed. Dems need to pick up 17 seats for a majority. Coincidentally, Hillary won in 17 seats currently held by the GOP:

On this list Districts 2, 42, and 72 no longer have incumbents and would be the most likely pick-ups.

Here's the history of VA government control since 1992:

In short, the House of Delegates is very much in play and the Dems are making a strong push for it but they're not trying to give the race national attention as that hasn't proven very effective (see: GA-06)

edit: if you want more info the Ballotpedia link is your best bet.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 4, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I know a bunch of people who work / worked in Virginia politics and it's really a whole different beast from regular state or national politics. poo poo like that is normal there, but it doesn't really affect much outside of VA (until they run for national office, obviously :v:)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

captainblastum posted:

It's so trivial to show that having weapons in their home makes them indisputably and measurably less safe they have no recourse but to resort to weird abstract and philosophical arguments. That's fine, we can still uphold their right to their weird obsessive hobby while pushing for legislation that can actually make us all safer like making straw purchases more difficult and requiring gun owners to keep better track of the weapons registered in their name.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm reminded of a debate I got into on another forum about ten years ago. A guy had a ton of guns and was bragging about how he trained his sons "paramilitary style" so they could defend his neighborhood in case society collapsed. Valiantly defend his neighbors from the black masses I guess. He lived in Oregon, I think.

I said that if that really happened, and I were one of his neighbors, I'd assume he was planning to kill me and take my stuff. He got really mad at that.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
considering how common lead rounds still are, a shooting range has gotta end up kicking up a bunch of lead dust. even somebody going hunting with lead rounds, that lead is gonna end up in the meat from what you kill, take home and eat.

i wonder if that has some kind of effect on people...

:thunk:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

They are.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/31/546191644/shut-out-of-power-in-d-c-democrats-try-to-make-inroads-in-virginia-this-fall

http://www.vahousedems.org/our-candidates

http://bluevirginia.us/2017/02/2017-virginia-democratic-house-candidates-district

https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_elections,_2017

Dems have no candidate 12 districts. GOP has no candidate in 28 districts. (There are 100 total districts)

Last election (2015) the Dems had no candidates in 44 Districts :gonk: so they're doing much better this go around.

The current balance of power is 66 GOP Delegates to 34 Dem Delegates. There are 7 seats with incumbents retiring, 6 GOP (Districts 2, 28, 42, 56, 64, and 72) and 1 Dem (District 89). All of those 6 districts has a Dem challenger and the single Dem retirement district has the new Democrat running unopposed. Dems need to pick up 17 seats for a majority. Coincidentally, Hillary won in 17 seats currently held by the GOP:

On this list Districts 2, 42, and 72 no longer have incumbents and would be the most likely pick-ups.

Here's the history of VA government control since 1992:

In short, the House of Delegates is very much in play and the Dems are making a strong push for it but they're not trying to give the race national attention as that hasn't proven very effective (see: GA-06)

edit: if you want more info the Ballotpedia link is your best bet.

As a follow-up to this we do have a thread for talking about state-level elections this year in Virginia and New Jersey:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804125&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The reason the rural Shenandoah visits are getting cut out is simple. They don't have voters. the party chair who temporarily resigned is for Rockbridge County, Buena Vista City, and Lexington City.

In the 2014 Senate campaign, Warner put a lot of effort into the more rural areas. This was the result

Rockbridge
Candidate Votes Percent
Mark R. Warner 2713 41.33%
Ed W. Gillespie 3696 56.31%

Buena Vista
Candidate Votes Percent
Mark R. Warner 475 39.38%
Ed W. Gillespie 692 57.37%

Lexington
Candidate Votes Percent
Mark R. Warner 981 64.62%
Ed W. Gillespie 501 33%

In the year previous you had the 2013 gov campaign and T. Mac put less effort into the rural areas. This was the result.

Rockbridge
Terry R. McAuliffe 2,431 36.19%
Ken T. Cuccinelli II 3,640 54.18%

Buena Vista
Terry R. McAuliffe 422 33.90%
Ken T. Cuccinelli II 721 57.91%

Lexington
Terry R. McAuliffe 936 61.62%
Ken T. Cuccinelli II 499 32.85%

So specific campaigning and targeting for you to pick up 380 votes. Between the two elections the Republican votes are fairly flat, you just have to figure out how valuable those 380 votes are to you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Instant Sunrise posted:

considering how common lead rounds still are, a shooting range has gotta end up kicking up a bunch of lead dust. even somebody going hunting with lead rounds, that lead is gonna end up in the meat from what you kill, take home and eat.

:thunk:

yeah it transforms them into the roman citizen warrior #patriots who built the west and are #proud of it

MOLON LABE

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

So how many more days are you all gonna continue gun control chat?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

So how many more days are you all gonna continue gun control chat?

Until the mass shootings stop.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Instant Sunrise posted:

even somebody going hunting with lead rounds, that lead is gonna end up in the meat from what you kill, take home and eat.

Nice classism, those gross poors rednecks amirite.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Or we pass gun control!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Nevvy Z posted:

Or we pass gun control!

Gonna be a while then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

Gonna be a while then.

Yep. Welcome to the party.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I, personally, intend to stop talking about gun control on friday and I encourage yall to follow suit

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Yardbomb posted:

Nice classism, those gross poors rednecks amirite.

i mean, the effects of lead exposure on people and on the environment is kind of a well known thing at this point. and those lead bullets have to go somewhere.

especially when somebody is hunting waterfowl with shotguns that fire a bunch of tiny lead pellets at once that end up in a body of water. that probably has an effect on the environment.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

captainblastum posted:

Even if Dead Reckoning is, specifically, full of poo poo, I do think you need a better answer to "my deontology tells me individual freedoms are good, and if increasing individual freedoms also increases injuries/deaths, so be it" than "oh, you're just a horrible monster". Like we pretty regularly see anti-gun control people compare guns to other freedoms like speech or printing presses, and there should be a counter argument that different freedoms have different values and we should tolerate different trade offs based on the comparative values.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Don't believe Big Med and Big Enviro, lead is fine. i take lead supplements every day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Even if Dead Reckoning is, specifically, full of poo poo, I do think you need a better answer to "my deontology tells me individual freedoms are good, and if increasing individual freedoms also increases injuries/deaths, so be it" than "oh, you're just a horrible monster".

Because as an absolute, the law against murder restricts my freedom to lash out angrily. "All freedoms, drat the cost" is Might Makes Right and so yeah it is a pretty monsterous ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Believe it or not, criminal justice reform is underway in America.

• Locked thread