Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Toyota can win it, but everyone will forever call them the Overall Winners* of the Le Mans 24.

Eh it's sports car racing. There's no asterisks if you actually win Le Mans. That first year Toyota came with the hybrid, they were supposed to be dipping their toes back in, but all of a sudden found themselves trying to be the ones to challenge Audi after Peugeot pulled out last minute. Does that get an asterisk for Audi? Or what about the Bentley years a decade ago. Only car in their class, Audi pulls the factory for two years to let their VAG stablemate use their toys, paint them green, and get a win.

And let's not even talk about Renault's win in the 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

harperdc posted:

Eh it's sports car racing. There's no asterisks if you actually win Le Mans. That first year Toyota came with the hybrid, they were supposed to be dipping their toes back in, but all of a sudden found themselves trying to be the ones to challenge Audi after Peugeot pulled out last minute. Does that get an asterisk for Audi? Or what about the Bentley years a decade ago. Only car in their class, Audi pulls the factory for two years to let their VAG stablemate use their toys, paint them green, and get a win.

And let's not even talk about Renault's win in the 1970s.

I would argue that Audi's fame/infamy comes from the sheer number of wins, not any individual win. So a single easier-than-normal win doesn't have a very large effect on their legacy. That may have been a gimme, but they proved their mettle more than enough times against legitimate contention.

And really, nobody cares about Bentley's win. They may have been a technical winner and can boast if they choose, but it's well known that it was an Audi underneath and I highly doubt any prospective buyer ever looked at a Continental GT and thought "Le Mans-winning engineering!". The whole exercise was a weird cul-de-sac for VAG.

I'd even argue that nobody would care about Mazda's single win if not for the fact that they were a huge underdog, and the 787B was instantly iconic as a racecar with its soon-to-be-banned rotary weirdness and distinctive livery.

It's not really fair to Toyota to give them the asterisk, given how much that downplays the sheer difficulty of actually winning overall at Le Mans, but I'd agree that it will come off as a fairly hollow win in the history books unless the 2018 race is some kind of cutthroat, to-the-finish-line epic battle.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Finishing Le Mans is an accomplishment in and of itself (as evidenced by how bad Toyota is at it.)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao @ people talking like toyota winning against privateers is a foregone conclusion

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like, we almost had an lmp2 overall win this year

it's fuckin le mans, bitch, there ain't no asterisks or whatever dumb poo poo you're talking about

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bathurst 1000 is on this weekend but I don't know if there'll be a live stream or not. These days it become a sprint race with at least one stupid incident right near the end. When I was a kid it took most of the day for the distance to be covered and would start fairly early. These days it's over in half a day which seems kinda remarkable in a lot of ways

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, Bathurst is always worth watching but I do think it's lost the endurance flavor that made the race unique. As long as it's on that track it'll be great though.

and 2014 was an incredible race, to be fair

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Bathurst 1000 is on this weekend but I don't know if there'll be a live stream or not. These days it become a sprint race with at least one stupid incident right near the end. When I was a kid it took most of the day for the distance to be covered and would start fairly early. These days it's over in half a day which seems kinda remarkable in a lot of ways

If you're outside Australia (or can make your Internet connection think you are) the Supercars live streaming is very good, I don't know if they have Bathurst-only deals but it's worth looking into.

And yeah that sense of endurance has changed in all forms. The cars are so well engineered that drivers can go for stints full of qualifying laps and that might not still be enough. The art of keeping a car going at 7/10ths and pushing when necessary isn't as necessary, but still interesting and fun to watch.

Petit Le Mans is this weekend as well, race is on Saturday so keep eyes out for that.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

financially racist posted:

like, we almost had an lmp2 overall win this year

it's fuckin le mans, bitch, there ain't no asterisks or whatever dumb poo poo you're talking about

The only reason we almost had an LMP2 win this year is because the constant pushes for more performance in the LMP1-Hs destroyed the reliability of the cars, which was a function of all the competition in the class that no longer exists. Nobody thinks Toyota is guaranteed to win, but they risk further humiliation and expense if they lose again, and a victory that people will consider more about attrition than achievement if they do manage to pull it off, so is there really a point to it? TGR is literally debating this exact thing right now, so it's not like it's some kind of insane idea that maybe they have little to gain and more to lose by running another year

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

If you're outside Australia (or can make your Internet connection think you are) the Supercars live streaming is very good, I don't know if they have Bathurst-only deals but it's worth looking into.

Doesn't look like it, but it's only 30 USD for the full season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
unfortunately there are only like three races left in the season but it's still not a terrible deal

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

unfortunately there are only like three races left in the season but it's still not a terrible deal

You can do like I did, spend $30 on it, forget about it all year, and catch up like a madman :v:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If you subscribe to Motor Trend On Demand, they livestream the Supercar races. Might be a cheaper option to pick up a month's subscription of that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

If you subscribe to Motor Trend On Demand, they livestream the Supercar races. Might be a cheaper option to pick up a month's subscription of that.

Oooh forgot about that. That's a great option.

Assuming our friend with the question can get access, I can't remember if they're in Australia or not.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I live halfway between Sydney and Bathurst so I can watch it without too many dramas but thanks for thinking of me. I don't get to see any of the team trucks showing up because they come from the North and South so take different routes but I get to watch the people heading out during the week leading up to it along with most of the support stuff that gets set up.
I haven't been out to watch the 1000 but have been for the 12hr and its an awesome track to watch the race at. If you're at the bottom you have no idea what's happening at the top other than the safety car boards coming out. Its also much much steeper than it appears on TV. I've driven around a few times and always forget that the cutting is poo poo in a normal car even in second gear. The gradient doesn't let up until you reach the next bend. Coming back down is similarly steep and also very narrow. Outside of races they open it up as a normal road but its best not to speed as there are always police waiting at the top for idiots.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/simonpagenaud/status/915595674938470400

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looks like they're using the base chassis instead of the DPi.

Still sexy.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

iospace posted:

Looks like they're using the base chassis instead of the DPi.

Still sexy.

Yeah they wanted to get up back up to speed by doing Petit but only in the Oreca and not the Acura DPi. Looks cool as hell though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It wasn't quite a good a script as could have been written, but the BTCC finale delivered it's usual twist and turns and Ashley Sutton in the scoobie is the new champion.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peugeot to WEC: Nope.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/144740-no-peugeot-lmp1-return-on-the-horizon

ACO apparently told Toyota that they wont give them an invite to LeMans unless they agree to do the entire WEC season. Which, you'll recall, is now a TWO year season. Think the writing might be on the wall here.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

ACO apparently told Toyota that they wont give them an invite to LeMans unless they agree to do the entire WEC season. Which, you'll recall, is now a TWO year season. Think the writing might be on the wall here.

The only thing that makes sense here is if the ACO was deliberately trying to force out Toyota so it can just blow up LMP1 and start looking ahead to 2019/2020 ASAP. If Toyota takes that poison pill, that's an unexpected bonus for the ACO.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Yeah they wanted to get up back up to speed by doing Petit but only in the Oreca and not the Acura DPi. Looks cool as hell though.

It's more a practice for the team than the car to come, but it'll probably be useful as testing baseline for next year as well. Fun wild card entry!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Certainly gives them a good base of experience with the Oreca chassis, and exp working together

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Looks like we might get Land Motorsport full-time in GTD next year, which is a welcome bit of good news for Audi fans with Stevenson shutting down:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/land-planning-full-season-gtd-effort/

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Looks like now that Penske is getting results in V8 supercars other Americans are jumping on board. Probably won't be the worst thing for the sort in the long term seeing as most teams run on oily rag levels of funding

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/andretti-and-brown-buy-into-walkinshaw-racing/?sf119141411=1

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Looks like now that Penske is getting results in V8 supercars other Americans are jumping on board. Probably won't be the worst thing for the sort in the long term seeing as most teams run on oily rag levels of funding

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/andretti-and-brown-buy-into-walkinshaw-racing/?sf119141411=1

Supercars as a format is going to struggle long term with the whole "Holden and Ford are dying" thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So in the three PLM practices so far, 8 different protos have been in the top 3. Only the 90 has shown up twice. No Caddy has lead a practice. 8 cars have been within 1 second in each session.

This is gonna be fun.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 6, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

So in the three PLM practices so far, 8 different protos have been in the top 3. Only the 90 has shown up twice. No Caddy has lead a practice. 8 cars have been within 1 second in each session.

This is gonna be fun.

Shut up shut up shut up I am kicking myself for not ditching work and driving 700 miles for the petit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'll figure out a way to watch Petit, Bathurst and Suzuka F1. I think there's minimal overlap...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Heh, Whingecup has missed out on the Top 10 shoot out at Bathurst

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

You Am I posted:

Heh, Whingecup has missed out on the Top 10 shoot out at Bathurst

Noice. He was racing at the 12hr earlier in the year but he wasn't the person to punt someone else off close to the end of the race. He may do it again seeing as he isn't in the top 10

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Helio :getin:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That. Is the sound of a gauntlet being unceremoniously hucked at the feet of Cadillac.

Caddy knows it too, cancelling the GT3 program to funnel more money into the DPi, with Joest and Penske breathing down their necks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Now I am really loving kicking myself because I just realized this is the 20th anniversary of the Petit Le Mans, and I am missing it :negative:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
McLauchin's pole lap for Bathurst was loving amazing. How the hell he didnt crash at McPhillamy I have no clue

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

McLauchin's pole lap for Bathurst was loving amazing. How the hell he didnt crash at McPhillamy I have no clue

Takes a New Zealander to beat a previous best qualifying lap done by a New Zealander

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ferrari gonna Ferrari!

The polesitter Penske car got Pitt maneuvered by the 63 Ferrari

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 7, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I love the look of the Team Penske car but it also reminds me of the drug dealer teams that came to race with incredible backing and zero sponsors on the car :haw:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I love the look of the Team Penske car but it also reminds me of the drug dealer teams that came to race with incredible backing and zero sponsors on the car :haw:

I mean Roger Penske has money for loving ever, if he wants to race it, he does. Thus Team Penske's no sponsor car :getin:

The guy probably would have brought the DPi if it had been ready tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

:supaburn:Porsche:supaburn:

• Locked thread